Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Lady Naga posted:

Cast a woman as doomguy, watch the tears roll in.

Final scene of the movie.

Spider Mastermind died in the previous one. Hell portal shows loads of cyberdemons coming. Doomguy's helmet cracks open from earlier damage.

Its a woman. First Cyberdemon start to chuckle as it passes through the gate. Motherfucking BFG9K'd to the back of the head.

Doomguy walks through the gate. Passes Doomgal another helmet. Box of rockets too. She nods. Fistbump. Main theme plays. Credit's roll.

Lady Naga posted:

I really wished they would've done this with Doom 2016 tbqh.

For real tho, I'd have liked for Doomslayer's compatriots to all have been physically different and hint that some of them were women. You know, nothing gratuitous. Basically Noble Team from Halo Reach.

Them all being the same's kinda a missed chance to further build a backstory we don't know about yet, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lady Naga posted:

I really wished they would've done this with Doom 2016 tbqh.

They really could have too. The player makes no noise at all in game I believe. Only on external shots of the suit can you tell it's a man and you can see a little into his helmet on the suit upgrade screen.

Thyrork posted:

Final scene of the movie.

Spider Mastermind died in the previous one. Hell portal shows loads of cyberdemons coming. Doomguy's helmet cracks open from earlier damage.

Its a woman. First Cyberdemon start to chuckle as it passes through the gate. Motherfucking BFG9K'd to the back of the head.

Doomguy walks through the gate. Passes Doomgal another helmet. Box of rockets too. She nods. Fistbump. Main theme plays. Credit's roll.

For real tho, I'd have liked for Doomslayer's compatriots to all have been physically different and hint that some of them were women. You know, nothing gratuitous. Basically Noble Team from Halo Reach.

Them all being the same's kinda a missed chance to further build a backstory we don't know about yet, you know?

This would have been pretty great, yeah.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Even in external shots of the suit it's not expressly masculine, just bulky. It could've totally been a Samus situation but I guess only guys are allowed to kill demons :v:

If anything, it's less masculine than the original, so the only reason he's codified as a guy within the game is that everyone refers to him with male pronouns.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
who cares. The doom space marine doesn't need to have its gender discussed

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Stop talking about the things I don't want you to talk about :qq:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The doom space marine is barely anything more than aggression in human form and only exists to hold big guns. I don't want you talking about it because it's uninteresting and irrelevant. The main stars of the show are the demons. Are we going to discuss whether the cyberdemon should have a dick too?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gimbal lock posted:

The doom space marine is barely anything more than aggression in human form and only exists to hold big guns. I don't want you talking about it because it's uninteresting and irrelevant. The main stars of the show are the demons. Are we going to discuss whether the cyberdemon should have a dick too?

So then why does aggression in human form have to be specifically codified as male? I'm sorry you don't find these things interesting but the media we make and consume say something about people as a whole, and wishing that games didn't have problems with representation doesn't make it so.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Mentioning Samus in this context really makes me wonder how that reveal would play out today. Actually I don't even know how people reacted in the 80s, would be hilarious if they were more cool with it than today's :qq: ESS-JAY-DUBLYOO AGENDA!! :qq: pissbabies.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

GunnerJ posted:

Mentioning Samus in this context really makes me wonder how that reveal would play out today. Actually I don't even know how people reacted in the 80s, would be hilarious if they were more cool with it than today's :qq: ESS-JAY-DUBLYOO AGENDA!! :qq: pissbabies.

For what it's worth, if you get the secret ending in Doom 2016 you can see Doomguy in a bikini.

Temin please come back the inmates are running the asylum.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

I never asked for this.

AAANYWAY, I don't think there's much point in arguing over a hypothetical movie twist. I don't mean to curb any political type discussion, but that's what D&D's for. I'm rendering the last Doom 1 video as we speak. It will be up tomorrow, y'all. Let's just all try to get along. I don't want people to start hating each other in this thread. Also, side note, more on topic, how's the audio been in the last few videos? I'm still trying to get a hang of this all. Also, am I not posting enough in my own thread?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I hadn't noticed anything off - you and your commentators are perfectly audible. Can't really hear much of the game audio itself though - not that there's much to hear aside from the weird grunting/snorting sound and gunfire; sometimes the ambient DOOM music is nice to listen to though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I'd say that the music's a little low but is otherwise pretty good.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Temin_Dump posted:

I never asked for this.

AAANYWAY, I don't think there's much point in arguing over a hypothetical movie twist. I don't mean to curb any political type discussion, but that's what D&D's for. I'm rendering the last Doom 1 video as we speak. It will be up tomorrow, y'all. Let's just all try to get along. I don't want people to start hating each other in this thread. Also, side note, more on topic, how's the audio been in the last few videos? I'm still trying to get a hang of this all. Also, am I not posting enough in my own thread?

the commentary audio is quieter than most other videos i watch (like chip cheezum, yogscast, geop and friends, random poo poo on netflix etc). ordinarily i have my computer volume set at 20 but for your videos i have to bump it up to 30 to hear everyone clearly, and even then it's a crapshoot for one of your co-commentators. even with my volume turned up to hear you all i still can barely hear the music :/

the balancing itself seems fine, it just needs an across-the-board volume boost with a little bit extra to the music

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gimbal lock posted:

The main stars of the show are the demons.

Which is why any Doom movie adaptation should be told from the point of view of the demons and their human supporters, with the Doomslayer as the invincible movie monster slaughtering the hordes of hell. As fun as it is to play as the Doomslayer he wouldn't work as the protagonist of a movie, either he needs to be the antagonist or there should be another group of people for the audience to care about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wamdoodle posted:

The player makes no noise at all in game I believe.
What, no "ugh, ugh, ugh" as you mash your face against every wall looking for secrets?

Gimbal lock posted:

The doom space marine is barely anything more than aggression in human form and only exists to hold big guns RIP AND TEAR.
FTFY.

White Coke posted:

As fun as it is to play as the Doomslayer he wouldn't work as the protagonist of a movie, either he needs to be the antagonist or there should be another group of people for the audience to care about.
Just have a team of four protagonists, green, grey, brown and red.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

White Coke posted:

Which is why any Doom movie adaptation should be told from the point of view of the demons and their human supporters, with the Doomslayer as the invincible movie monster slaughtering the hordes of hell. As fun as it is to play as the Doomslayer he wouldn't work as the protagonist of a movie, either he needs to be the antagonist or there should be another group of people for the audience to care about.

So a Doom movie styled like a Friday the 13th movie, where Doomguy takes the role of Jason?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tiggum posted:

Just have a team of four protagonists, green, grey, brown and red.

Have a fifth colour to make it an incredibly hosed up power rangers movie. :unsmigghh:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Thyrork posted:

Have a fifth colour to make it an incredibly hosed up power rangers movie. :unsmigghh:

Clearly they should replace green with blue.

Doomguy is the green ranger, though by the time the movie's over he'll have gotten a promotion to red ranger.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So a Doom movie styled like a Friday the 13th movie, where Doomguy takes the role of Jason?

Nah, more John Wick. Man is loving terrifying, that is absolutely a horror movie for the mobsters.

Temin_Dump posted:

Also, side note, more on topic, how's the audio been in the last few videos? I'm still trying to get a hang of this all. Also, am I not posting enough in my own thread?

One of your commentators is more quiet than the others - Coffee, I think? Might just be more soft-spoken than you. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Thank you once again for playing through these games! This is going to be extremely useful for a project I'm working on.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 2, 2016

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Edminster posted:

the commentary audio is quieter than most other videos i watch (like chip cheezum, yogscast, geop and friends, random poo poo on netflix etc). ordinarily i have my computer volume set at 20 but for your videos i have to bump it up to 30 to hear everyone clearly, and even then it's a crapshoot for one of your co-commentators. even with my volume turned up to hear you all i still can barely hear the music :/

the balancing itself seems fine, it just needs an across-the-board volume boost with a little bit extra to the music

All right. I actually set my own computer volume to 20% and balanced the audio from there. Let's see how that will work out. The next video might be drastically louder than the last few.

SageNytell posted:

One of your commentators is more quiet than the others - Coffee, I think? Might just be more soft-spoken than you. It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

Thank you once again for playing through these games! This is going to be extremely useful for a project I'm working on.

Yeah, his audio's sometimes the hardest to balance out. Also, no problem! Now I'm wondering about what your project could be.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Tiggum posted:

What, no "ugh, ugh, ugh" as you mash your face against every wall looking for secrets?

Correct, but don't let that stop you from playing it :)

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Doom 1 Finale is up!

Getting this list done slowly but surely!
Although there's a much larger list waiting to be conquered coming up very soon.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Oh, good timing. I just finished replaying the first episode of Ultimate Doom a few minutes ago, having spent a bunch of time today setting up ZDoom and messing with various MIDI synths and soundfonts to get the most awesome rocking soundtrack possible (or at least something that is simple to install and sounds decent :downs:).

The Barons in Phobos Anomaly didn't even scratch me :black101:

edit: Oh, that's where the regular Mt. Erebus exit is. I was never able to find it when I played through Inferno years ago, so I just ended up rocketjumping to the secret exit after many failed attempts.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 2, 2016

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I feel like Unholy Cathedral was used as the jump-off point for a lot of Quake maps. something about it just feels very reminiscent of Quake.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Are you gonna play the official game of Fatman?

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Mt. Erebus was such an infuriating pile of garbage that it made me give up on my nostalgia-induced playthrough. gently caress that blue key and gently caress all those dozens of lost souls in that map. I managed to use up all of the radiation suits while trying and failing to find the exit, too.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mr. Fortitude posted:

And the demons take the place of the sexy teens.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Achti posted:

Mt. Erebus was such an infuriating pile of garbage that it made me give up on my nostalgia-induced playthrough. gently caress that blue key and gently caress all those dozens of lost souls in that map. I managed to use up all of the radiation suits while trying and failing to find the exit, too.
Hey, you're shittalking my favorite Doom 1 level here. It's chaotic, yeah, but it's also the first whiff of open-ended exploration gameplay some of us got; plus I still maintain the trippy look is awesome. Worst casualty of Doom 2: hellish textures.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Wasnt Ken's Labyrinth the originator of all of these?

E. The engine.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 2, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mr.Bob posted:

Wasnt Ken's Labyrinth the originator of all of these?

E. The engine.

No, that's Ken Silverman's Build engine, which is a completely separate lineage from the ID Software engines. Famous Build engine games: Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage.
I doubt any of those are going to be covered here, since they have no relation to ID.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

nielsm posted:

No, that's Ken Silverman's Build engine, which is a completely separate lineage from the ID Software engines. Famous Build engine games: Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Redneck Rampage.
I doubt any of those are going to be covered here, since they have no relation to ID.

Oh poo poo! I got the two confused! Thanks!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

People who use the flashlight mod for Doom 3 are bad and wrong because the game is actually designed around the limited flashlight. It also defeats the purpose of a bunch of areas like where you have th lit up imp sample that you use to illuminate the area. :colbert:

I actually like Doom 3 as a shooter, even if it's not a very good horror game.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: Oh, that's where the regular Mt. Erebus exit is. I was never able to find it when I played through Inferno years ago, so I just ended up rocketjumping to the secret exit after many failed attempts.

Yeah, it's not very easy to find the regular exit on your first time on this map. I remember it took me over an hour.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I feel like Unholy Cathedral was used as the jump-off point for a lot of Quake maps. something about it just feels very reminiscent of Quake.

Looking back on it, yeah it kind of does.(Although I still don't like it at all)

nielsm posted:

Can't forget Extreme Paint Brawl and William Shatner's Tekwar. But yeah, none of those games are in the scope of this thread. Although we are gonna cover one thing that uses an engine made by Ken Silverman.

SirSamVimes posted:

People who use the flashlight mod for Doom 3 are bad and wrong because the game is actually designed around the limited flashlight. It also defeats the purpose of a bunch of areas like where you have th lit up imp sample that you use to illuminate the area. :colbert:

Yeah, playing through the BFG edition a few years ago, it didn't feel right having access to both the flashlight and your guns. I get why so many people dislike Doom 3, but honestly, it's one of my favorite FPS's from the 2000s.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I just don't get why nobody has any goddamn sleeves in Doom 3 :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Skippy Granola posted:

I just don't get why nobody has any goddamn sleeves in Doom 3 :colbert:

Because hiding those biceps would be a crime. :colbert:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

I tend to prefer seeing what I'm shooting at in games. I think Doom 3 came pretty close to being a good shooter - the mechanics and guns are (mostly, gently caress the soulcube and everything related to that) solid, enemies are sufficiently diverse barring a few lapses, the levels feel distinct enough which is a goddamn miracle given the setting. Like, if we got rid of the stupid darknessjumpscareohnothereisanimpbehindmeforthehundredthtimethehorror bits, I think we'd get, well, Quake 4.
I happen to really like Quake 4.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

anilEhilated posted:

enemies are sufficiently diverse barring a few lapses

...and almost uniformly brown. Not quite poo poo-brown, but the lack of colouration makes it really hard to determine threat levels at a glance. Even the cacodemons (:psyduck:) are brown!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Aerdan posted:

...and almost uniformly brown. Not quite poo poo-brown, but the lack of colouration makes it really hard to determine threat levels at a glance. Even the cacodemons (:psyduck:) are brown!
I honestly never noticed that one due to how loving dark it is. I was more thinking of going with clichés like trites, ticks and their boss that are just unnecessary.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Aerdan posted:

It's a cacaodemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I played Doom 3 with a mod that set all enemies on fire without causing them damage. Didn't do anything to them, but it gave the entire thing way more atmosphere.