Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Current retirees are already limping along with barely any retirement savings, imagine 40 years from now when the generation that came out of the gate with debt start to be cycled out of the work force.

Haha leave the workforce. Nah Millennials will just cause companies to have a new section of training about what to do when an older co-worker dies during their shift

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

How the hell does a police shooting end up on Facebook live to begin with?

Can't wait for the justifications on this one. He was a legal concealed carrier and was about to procure his permit and the cop just couldn't help himself? In front of the guy's wife and child? What the gently caress?

E: and all over a traffic stop for a busted loving tail light. This shooting really has everything!

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 7, 2016

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stereotype posted:

I wonder if this one is good enough to start a conversation about police shootings?? No probably not, he was black and had a gun after all, maybe a picture where his pants aren't pulled all the way up will surface. Plus that officer was clearly upset afterwards and two wrongs don't make a right.

Yeah, I can't wait for the :angel: "He Was No Angel" :angel: defamation league to smear the cafeteria supervisor of a Montessori school. Or the deafening silence from the NRA tomorrow.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm not saying that there isn't a personal responsibility element to all this. It's just that your posts on this topic reek of FYGM-ness. "I did it right. I'm OK! What's wrong with you?"

I don't have any student loan debt since I went to a cheap school and my parents are great. However, not everyone has great parents, a cheap school within driving distance, and not everyone can get scholarships and grants.

I'd also add that more often than not paying on your student loan debt, a car, housing, and so on, is just not possible with many entry-level salaries. You're basically looking at years and years of indentured servitude and maybe never even breaking into ~* middle class *~ life. We should do everything we can to make sure the next generation of students doesn't have to go through this and then do everything we can to offer some relief to those already suffering through.

Anyway, this is pretty typical PTD. I hope you grow some empathy some day.

uh i pretty much laid out that rising tuition costs and a high degree of pressure on bad decision makers (teens) are also to blame, but the average student loan debt is only $32k or so which isn't that much. and yeah i did do it, i made it through and it wasn't that bad. growing up is scary sometimes. so sorry that you're unreasonably upset at my reasonable opinions i guess? go find someone else to yell at bud

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Stereotype posted:

I wonder if this one is good enough to start a conversation about police shootings?? No probably not, he was black and had a gun after all, maybe a picture where his pants aren't pulled all the way up will surface. Plus that officer was clearly upset afterwards and two wrongs don't make a right.

I say we hold out for a 12 year old black boy with a fake gun shot and killed less than 5 seconds after the cops stop their ca- oh wait :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

How the hell does a police shooting end up on Facebook live to begin with?

Can't wait for the justifications on this one. He was a legal concealed carrier and was about to procure his permit and the cop just couldn't help himself? In front of the guy's wife and child? What the gently caress?

E: and all over a traffic stop for a busted loving tail light. This shooting really has everything!

They only started filming right after the shooting.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

uh i pretty much laid out that rising tuition costs and a high degree of pressure on bad decision makers (teens) are also to blame, but the average student loan debt is only $32k or so which isn't that much. and yeah i did do it, i made it through and it wasn't that bad. growing up is scary sometimes. so sorry that you're unreasonably upset at my reasonable opinions i guess? go find someone else to yell at bud

I'm not unreasonably upset or even upset. I'm just saying your posts have a tone of FYGM concerning this topic.

Not sure what world you're living in where $32,000 isn't a lot of money. Probably closer to the top of the bucket.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm not unreasonably upset or even upset. I'm just saying your posts have a tone of FYGM concerning this topic.

Not sure what world you're living in where $32,000 isn't a lot of money. Probably closer to the top of the bucket.

ok thank you for tone policing me then. if you think $32k is an unreasonable amount of debt for a better life lmao at you when you look at trying to stop renting. also get a vasectomy tomorrow

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

$32,000 is a lot of money.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
These guys have a copy of the video:
http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/falco...shot-by-police/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xae posted:

18 year olds are simultaneously unable to foresee the financial impact of taking out loans, but prescient enough understand the financial impact of having or not having a college degree.

18-year-old are not prescient enough to understand the impact of a college degree or lack thereof, which is why when everything they've been taught and told and know and absorb tells them that getting a college degree is imperative, they take it at face value.

And they then proceed to take on large amounts of debt, because they are also not able to foresee the impact of taking out student loans.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Phone posted:

Yeah, I can't wait for the :angel: "He Was No Angel" :angel: defamation league to smear the cafeteria supervisor of a Montessori school. Or the deafening silence from the NRA tomorrow.

If the NRA were smart they'd take up his case with a rallying cry of "protect our right to concealed carry".

They won't

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Why the hell are cops seemingly scared out of their minds while on patrol? Did this cop really think a licensed gun owner would try and kill him over a broken tail light ticket? With his family in the car with him?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
As someone who has been to college where on the orientation day there was like an entire room of people offering credit cards at comical rates.

I'm going to go ahead and say kids(and adults) don't know poo poo about long term financial planning.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ok thank you for tone policing me then. if you think $32k is an unreasonable amount of debt for a better life lmao at you when you look at trying to stop renting. also get a vasectomy tomorrow

I'm not really one to be tone policing to anyone. Just saying you're being all FYGM. "It all worked out for me! You must've done it wrong if it didn't work out for you."

Also, you should probably know that a degree doesn't garuntee you a better life. Some people with degrees don't get more than a minimum wage job, or something in the $10/hr range. Sure, you have a better shot at a better life with a degree but it's not a guarantee, but you're guaranteed to carry around that debt either way. That's not a society I want anyone to live in.

A vasectomy is a pretty sweet deal for someone not wanting to incur the costs of children or create additional slaves for the empire. ;)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Dexo posted:

As someone who has been to college where on the orientation day there was like an entire room of people offering credit cards at comical rates.

I'm going to go ahead and say kids(and adults) don't know poo poo about long term financial planning.

Look at what they toss into your bag when you purchase books at the bookstore the first week of school. A bunch of adverts for credit cards and this and that. Horrible

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vorebane posted:

I say we hold out for a 12 year old black boy with a fake gun shot and killed less than 5 seconds after the cops stop their ca- oh wait :(

Don't forget them excusing it with 'Well I know it looks bad, but he looked at least 15 to the officer!' with a straight face.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Javes posted:

Why the hell are cops seemingly scared out of their minds while on patrol? Did this cop really think a licensed gun owner would try and kill him over a broken tail light ticket? With his family in the car with him?

a large part of police traning as well as police culture views citizens as probable adverseries and potential threats. chill cops tend to not last, or they become unchill. it's a tough job that gives you PTSD plus it attracts people with a warrior mindset

really we should train cops like we train firefighters, as public servants first and foremost instead of rule enforcers

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Uh, yeah, $32k is in fact a lot of money when recent graduate underemployment is still hovering around 45%. You've basically got a 50/50 shot of graduating with debt equal to 80% or more of your annual income. If you're forced to use income-based repayment because you can't afford regular payments then that's debt that you're going to be saddled with for a very long time. The fact that housing is expensive too is a complete non-sequitur.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Javes posted:

Their training right now, as I understand it, is hyper focused on the officer's own safety.

Night10194 posted:

Don't forget them excusing it with 'Well I know it looks bad, but he looked at least 15 to the officer!' with a straight face.

I honestly had forgotten. Well you know 15 is practically above life expectancy for black people, so an officer perceiving a 15 year old MAN could safely presume he had already led a long productive life, so I'm sure the shooter rightfully felt no great sense of loss.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Paradoxish posted:

Uh, yeah, $32k is in fact a lot of money when recent graduate underemployment is still hovering around 45%.

the problem there is wage stagnation - and you're still a lot better off with debt and that degree doing your law clerk gig. universally, young adults with degrees are better off than those without

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Javes posted:

Beaten but basically training and on-the-job culture both heavily emphasize "do what it takes to get home safe", to view everyone as a threat, and to swing your Big Dick(TM) around as much as possible to "achieve compliance" (basically Cartman RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAIH, only for real and the punishment for disrespecting a police officer is death).

A few years ago I downloaded the entire run of Cops and we watched all the episodes. Even in that show you can see a change in police tactics over time. Early on there was still a lot of "community policing", a lot more talking. Even belligerent people wielding weapons seemed to be treated with some measure of care. By the end there is way more grabbing, throwing people on the ground, and screams of "STOP RESISTING". You can see the negative attitudes spreading as the seasons march on.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

the problem there is wage stagnation - and you're still a lot better off with debt and that degree doing your law clerk gig. universally, young adults with degrees are better off than those without

I agree 100%, I just also think that you're being unreasonable when you dismiss $32k worth of debt as not a big deal. It's going to be a huge deal for a lot of people and it's a much easier problem to tackle than wage stagnation, which has all kinds of structural economic causes that might not even have realistic solutions.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Paradoxish posted:

I agree 100%, I just also think that you're being unreasonable when you dismiss $32k worth of debt as not a big deal. It's going to be a huge deal for a lot of people and it's a much easier problem to tackle than wage stagnation, which has all kinds of structural economic causes that might not even have realistic solutions.

Yep. No one is saying you're better off without a degree even if it means you're without debt.

We're saying it's a shame that something you have to have in order to live a life approaching decent costs so much, and that you shouldn't be dismissive of how much it costs, PTD.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hootington posted:

No 2016 is a gimme year and the party needs to jettison the progressive wing while they can. This way they can become the socially liberal economically Conservative party of middle America. They will gain more power. Better still if they can sweep in and pick up disillusioned business republicans.

I'm so glad that someone else on here understands the pathway to a permanent, well-funded Democratic majority just like I do.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yep. No one is saying you're better off without a degree even if it means you're without debt.

We're saying it's a shame that something you have to have in order to live a life approaching decent costs so much, and that you shouldn't be dismissive of how much it costs, PTD.

You don't have to have a degree to live a life approaching decent; you ever consider the loving trades before you decided to sound like an out-of-touch elitist? Electricians make some good gently caress'n money.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

In lighter news, Tom Cotton can't actually point to anything he likes about Donald Trump.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/republican-senator-backs-trump-wont-say-why?cid=sm_fb_maddow

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

vorebane posted:

In lighter news, Tom Cotton can't actually point to anything he likes about Donald Trump.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/republican-senator-backs-trump-wont-say-why?cid=sm_fb_maddow

Perfectly balanced ticket. Trump can't find something about himself he hates, Cotton can't find anything about Trump he likes

Which one is the left hand of darkness is the question though, maybe never answered

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ender.uNF posted:

A few years ago I downloaded the entire run of Cops and we watched all the episodes. Even in that show you can see a change in police tactics over time. Early on there was still a lot of "community policing", a lot more talking. Even belligerent people wielding weapons seemed to be treated with some measure of care. By the end there is way more grabbing, throwing people on the ground, and screams of "STOP RESISTING". You can see the negative attitudes spreading as the seasons march on.

i'd say a large part of this is just the normalization of police aggression through shows like cops, it was absolutely there back in the 1980s and before but more hushed because midcentury americans still glorified rebels and outlaws over the lawman. after the early 90's tough on crime mentality public (white) perception of police as thuggish enforcers became the norm, look back at how cops were portrayed in the 60's and 70's as clownish killjoys (Andy Griffith, Dukes of Hazzard)

also Cops is a very successful show that follows a very successful formula so they would absolutely filter their selected clips over time to portray police as hard rear end kickers if that's what the audience demands

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

really we should train cops like we train firefighters, as public servants first and foremost instead of rule enforcers
I'm curious what exactly you think the job of police, deputies, and troopers is if not law enforcement.

Ender.uNF posted:

Beaten but basically training and on-the-job culture both heavily emphasize "do what it takes to get home safe", to view everyone as a threat, and to swing your Big Dick(TM) around as much as possible to "achieve compliance" (basically Cartman RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAIH, only for real and the punishment for disrespecting a police officer is death).
[citation needed]

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm curious what exactly you think the job of police, deputies, and troopers is if not law enforcement.

as public servants

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
guys the only pragmatic solution for this is to tie votes to owning property, that way they will be responsible.

Mr Hootington posted:

No 2016 is a gimme year and the party needs to jettison the progressive wing while they can. This way they can become the socially liberal economically Conservative party of middle America. They will gain more power. Better still if they can sweep in and pick up disillusioned business republicans.

Non-bigot™* Business party of the USA

*(offer may not apply in at-will employment states, please check local terms and conditions, poor need not apply)

Grognan fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 7, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

He just said it, as public servants. They're supposed to maintain the peace, not enforce it, with deadly force being the absolute last resort to contain an out of control situation.
That's not what's happening nowadays.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

as public servants
That is a description of who their employer is, not what their primary duties are.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

That is a description of who their employer is, not what their primary duties are.

generally serving the public interest rather than vigorously enforcing rules at the expense of public safety. eric garner died because the police grappled with him because he stood up for himself. why not back off instead of fight a guy? because his life was not as important in the mind of that cop than the idea that the police must always be obeyed and compliance comes above civic safety. or tamir rice, who was shot for basically no reason other than an unqualified cop was scared shitless of a black shooter, a mortal threat to the community that only existed in the cop's tiny imagination

see also: no-knock raids, civil forfeiture, high speed chases, "i smell marijuana", and the many other ways cops act like petty tyrants because they power trip off their jobs

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 7, 2016

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Maybe this is a dumb idea but I feel like a very simple, easy to understand policy would be easiest to advocate for and since it's basically impossible to pass anything, the easy broad policy is what has to be worked for.

So in that vein, "If a cop kills a person, they have to retire." Full stop, end of story, I don't know whether they get sued or even minor chance of indictment for wrongful shooting or whatever anymore or what, but as a hard and fast rule, if an cop kills someone, they can no longer be an cop, not even a desk cop. I feel like this would have a bunch of unhappy side effects but it might at least give the police some loving reluctance to pull the trigger, and it would be very simple to explain and advocate for.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Today in "Your liberal media at work", Trevor Noah tore Hillary to shreds for lying on every level regarding emailgate, and all but yelled from the rooftops that she is equally as dangerous as Trump is. Sigh.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Student debt should be dischargeable through bankruptcy. Pop the bubble, gently caress all private loans.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

vorebane posted:

Maybe this is a dumb idea but I feel like a very simple, easy to understand policy would be easiest to advocate for and since it's basically impossible to pass anything, the easy broad policy is what has to be worked for.

So in that vein, "If a cop kills a person, they have to retire." Full stop, end of story, I don't know whether they get sued or even minor chance of indictment for wrongful shooting or whatever anymore or what, but as a hard and fast rule, if an cop kills someone, they can no longer be an cop, not even a desk cop. I feel like this would have a bunch of unhappy side effects but it might at least give the police some loving reluctance to pull the trigger, and it would be very simple to explain and advocate for.
But then how will they stop the BAD GUYS? BAD GUYS are known to hunt in packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

Student debt should be dischargeable through bankruptcy. Pop the bubble, gently caress all private loans.

But I paid it off when they actually paid decent wages to people, they should just suffer. This is pragmatic, right?

• Locked thread