Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, I mean why would you not just buy the right hardware here? Are you really hard-up for rack space or something? Particularly something that will be used by lots of people.

Anything hardware accelerated is going to blow away anything except a serious server-class system. If you really want to homebrew, this is what ALIX PC Engines and Intel Avoton are for.

The age old issue is that these are customers, and don't want to spend money.
Some of our customers are reasonable people, but most are of the mindset that states "what we have is working fine, why do we need to spend £100 on a new router?" to which my answer of "I can fix your issues quicker" doesn't always convince them to put their hand in their pocket and spend.

But my department budget would cover £25 for a Pi and my time to fit it.

They get charged for my time no matter how I end up looking at their issues, but VPN would make my life easier :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

spiny posted:

The age old issue is that these are customers, and don't want to spend money.
Some of our customers are reasonable people, but most are of the mindset that states "what we have is working fine, why do we need to spend £100 on a new router?" to which my answer of "I can fix your issues quicker" doesn't always convince them to put their hand in their pocket and spend.

But my department budget would cover £25 for a Pi and my time to fit it.

They get charged for my time no matter how I end up looking at their issues, but VPN would make my life easier :)

Tell them "you wouldn't be calling me if everything was working fine".

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
I found yet another cool use for the Pi yesterday: Steam Link.

If you use Steam on your PC and have an Nvidia 700 series and above GPU (some 600 series are also supported) you can play games in another room on your TV.

I used this guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/220969/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-steam-machine-with-moonlight/

and was surprised when everything ran perfectly on first run without even having to tinker with display modes.

It's not exactly a new thing, but heads up to anyone who might get some mileage out of it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yo I'm trying to set up a raspberry pi 2 running raspbian for a work thing and I can't get ethernet to work.

/etc/networking/interface looks like this:
code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
The networking icon in the top right says "eth0: Configured"

But "ping google.com" just returns "unknown host".

If I plug the same ethernet cable into a debian thinkpad everything configures itself automagically and I can connect to the internet fine.

Any thoughts? Does the PI need a static IP?

e: oh according to this I shouldn't even be changing /etc/networking/interface any more:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/37920/how-do-i-set-up-networking-wifi-static-ip

It says "If you are using an Ethernet connection with a router there should be no configuration required and it should work out of the box."

So I've restored the default /etc/networking/interfaces file and rebooted, but still no joy.

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 16, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

fuf posted:

yo I'm trying to set up a raspberry pi 2 running raspbian for a work thing and I can't get ethernet to work.

code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
The networking icon in the top right says "eth0: Configured"

But "ping google.com" just returns "unknown host".

If I plug the same ethernet cable into a debian thinkpad everything configures itself automagically and I can connect to the internet fine.

Any thoughts? Does the PI need a static IP?

e: oh according to this I shouldn't even be changing /etc/networking/interface any more:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/37920/how-do-i-set-up-networking-wifi-static-ip

It says "If you are using an Ethernet connection with a router there should be no configuration required and it should work out of the box."

So I've restored the default /etc/networking/interfaces file and rebooted, but still no joy.

what does your route table show?
what is your DNS set to? Try dns as 8.8.8.8 or if you are on a home network try putting the DNS and default route to your home router.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

fuf posted:

The interfaces file might need to have the line

auto lo eth0

Of course assuming the device is eth0 in the first place, which you can't assume nowadays. What devices does ifconfig or 'ip addr' show?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks both. Specifying the DNS servers fixed the issue :)

New issue: I'm trying to get the Pi to launch Chromium in kiosk mode on boot. I found this guide: https://www.danpurdy.co.uk/web-development/raspberry-pi-kiosk-screen-tutorial/

He puts this line in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart:
code:
@chromium --noerrdialogs --kiosk [url]http://www.page-to.display[/url] --incognito
My version is like:
code:
@chromium-browser --noerrdialogs --kiosk [url]http://bbc.co.uk[/url] --incognito
(if I run this command from a terminal it works fine)

I also added the line to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

But it doesn't work - I reboot and it goes straight to desktop without launching chromium.

Any ideas? Is that autostart file the right place to be adding commands to execute on boot?

e: I can't edit out those dumb [url] tags

e2: Ok putting the line in ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart instead seems to work

fuf fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 24, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DeaconBlues posted:

If you use Steam on your PC and have an Nvidia 700 series and above GPU (some 600 series are also supported) you can play games in another room on your TV.

I used this guide

http://www.howtogeek.com/220969/turn-a-raspberry-pi-into-a-steam-machine-with-moonlight/

and was surprised when everything ran perfectly on first run without even having to tinker with display modes.

It's not exactly a new thing, but heads up to anyone who might get some mileage out of it.

Yep, I've been doing this for some time now. It's great! 360 controllers work well with the xpad driver. My home network is fully wired so there's zero lag on controller inputs. My big-screen TV adds a tiny amount of display lag which I'm extra-sensitive to because I play too many rhythm games. The only issue is the 360 wireless controller LED keeps blinking instead of turning a solid color, which isn't a deal-killer but can be a little distracting sometimes. I think there's a modification you can make to the driver, but I haven't bothered to try it yet.

I'd like to pick up a wireless keyboard/mouse combo for it eventually so I can play more than controller-based games. But figuring out how to use a stable KM/mouse from the couch is tricky.

There's a lot of things I still want to try on the Pi but haven't gotten around to yet.

fuf posted:

Thanks both. Specifying the DNS servers fixed the issue :)

New issue: I'm trying to get the Pi to launch Chromium in kiosk mode on boot. I found this guide: https://www.danpurdy.co.uk/web-development/raspberry-pi-kiosk-screen-tutorial/

He puts this line in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart:
code:
@chromium --noerrdialogs --kiosk [url]http://www.page-to.display[/url] --incognito
My version is like:
code:
@chromium-browser --noerrdialogs --kiosk [url]http://bbc.co.uk[/url] --incognito
(if I run this command from a terminal it works fine)

I also added the line to /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

But it doesn't work - I reboot and it goes straight to desktop without launching chromium.

Any ideas? Is that autostart file the right place to be adding commands to execute on boot?

e: I can't edit out those dumb [url] tags

e2: Ok putting the line in ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart instead seems to work

I had a similar issue when I was setting up Pi displays in the office. Older Raspbian builds for earlier Pi models seem to use a slightly different config for LXDE. You already figured it out though.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 29, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I picked up an rpi3 this week and it's amazing what this cheap little thing can do.

I put retropie on it and I've got tons of emulators and kodi on it. Everything I did with my Mac mini and Apple TV I can do with this $60 purchase. (Note, not everything I COULD do with the Mac mini and Apple TV, but everything I DID do)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

DizzyBum posted:

I'd like to pick up a wireless keyboard/mouse combo for it eventually so I can play more than controller-based games. But figuring out how to use a stable KM/mouse from the couch is tricky.

Maybe Corsair Lapdog is what you want.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I found that for couch gaming, a wireless keyboard and a large flexible mousepad (Steelseries makes a good one) on top of a relatively flat, dense pillow on the seat next to you works well. Depending on the shape of said couch you might find that a mousepad on the armrest would work too.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Bed food tray could also work well if you find a wide enough one.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I got a notice that my CHIPs shipped. Has anyone gotten theirs yet? Impressions?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've played with a Pocket CHIP (the screen, keyboard, and chip handheld) and it's really cool. I have just a standalone CHIP and I really haven't used it much compared to the Pi, etc. It's kind of a pain to get setup since it has no network ports, etc. Mine also came shipped with no OS loaded so it was really a royal pain to get setup (use their chrome app to load an OS image on it). It also is _very_ temperamental about power and if you connect just one or two USB devices it won't even boot. For a standalone dev board stick with the Pi IMHO, but for a cool Linux handheld Pocket CHIP looks great.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Yeah, you really need a backup battery for the CHIP to keep its power even. That said, PS3 Controller batteries will work if you reverse the polarity on the connector. Once I had a battery, a Powered USB hub worked to both provide power for the CHIP and give it three USB outs instead of one.

That said, the only thing I'm really using it for is to run hourly internet speed tests and and let IFTTT's Maker Channel push the results to a Google Sheet. Haven't tried a Raspberry PI for comparison..

I initially tried to find a good case for it. Ultimately what I wound up doing was keeping it in the box it came in. I cut a rectangular hole in the back of the box to let the cables out, and padded the sides with pieces of foamboard. Works fairly well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
So I got given a 2-pin fan meant for use with a Raspberry Pi 2 in a case, but no instructions on how to install it. What's the best way to power it from the Pi's own pins, or failing that a good thing to use to power it externally - preferably from USB?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fishmech posted:

So I got given a 2-pin fan meant for use with a Raspberry Pi 2 in a case, but no instructions on how to install it. What's the best way to power it from the Pi's own pins, or failing that a good thing to use to power it externally - preferably from USB?

Most of the fans meant for raspberry pis I've seen are just 12v fans you run off of the 5v pins and they just run slower. I think pins 4 and 6 are the most commonly used for that:

I was considering buying this case before and the images include one showing the fan on those pins so it seems right:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012GPCLR6/

If you'd rather use USB you can butcher a cable or whatever:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rexxed posted:

Most of the fans meant for raspberry pis I've seen are just 12v fans you run off of the 5v pins and they just run slower. I think pins 4 and 6 are the most commonly used for that:

I was considering buying this case before and the images include one showing the fan on those pins so it seems right:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012GPCLR6/

If you'd rather use USB you can butcher a cable or whatever:

Thanks for that! So there's nothing to worry about the fan drawing too much power or anything like that? (I've got the system on a nice 2.1 amp USB adapter).

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Somewhere on the fan there should be a print how many amps it needs, if not then what voltage it is and how many watts it consumes. Then you would only have to calculate Watts / Voltage to get the amps. USB 2.0 is specced for 0.5 Amps or 500 mA maximum at 5V, although the Pi can apparently supply past that on it's ports. No idea what the Pi's GPIO header is specced to deliver at maximum but you can probably google it easily. If it's a very small fan it's probably a 5V fan to begin with, there's a good chance a 12V fan won't be able to start with 5V. (although some can)

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, good manufacturers also have detailed spec sheets on their websites. Taking a Noctua 80mm as an example, it allows input voltage from 4-13V and uses 1.32W/0.11A at maximum. If we assume that the current holds constant when dropping voltage - I would expect it to go down just a bit since this isn't a purely resistive load, but not sure - then something like this would probably not even be noticeable unless your Pi is already about to brownout.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Police Automaton posted:

Somewhere on the fan there should be a print how many amps it needs, if not then what voltage it is and how many watts it consumes. Then you would only have to calculate Watts / Voltage to get the amps. USB 2.0 is specced for 0.5 Amps or 500 mA maximum at 5V, although the Pi can apparently supply past that on it's ports. No idea what the Pi's GPIO header is specced to deliver at maximum but you can probably google it easily. If it's a very small fan it's probably a 5V fan to begin with, there's a good chance a 12V fan won't be able to start with 5V. (although some can)

There's nothing printed on the fan, but It's from this kit: http://www.eeekit.com/3in1-starter-kit-for-raspberry-pi-3-model-b-board/ which claims the fan is 5V 0.2 amp. so that should be fine?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
It's a bigass assumption but I'm just going to assume the fan is some +5V noname 40x40x10mm china deal if it came with a Pi case. :v: Blacknoise makes very nice tiny fans (Noiseblocker series) if you wanna get air out of cramped spaces, they are expensive for their size though. The nicest fans besides that are from Noctua and Papst imho. I use them everywhere because life is too short to be annoyed by noisy fans that also fail eventually, because good quality fans also have a *very* long life. That also means you can save a lot of money on them if you buy them used, because people don't like buying used fans because of their experiences with low quality fans. But enough about that.

If you don't plan to overclock the Pi 2 you don't need a fan IMHO. Mine is in a case with no holes besides those for the ports and the temperature is nowhere near critical, even under load.

EDIT:

fishmech posted:

There's nothing printed on the fan, but It's from this kit: http://www.eeekit.com/3in1-starter-kit-for-raspberry-pi-3-model-b-board/ which claims the fan is 5V 0.2 amp. so that should be fine?

Yes it should (even from the GPIO pins) but seriously with that case I'd just skip on the fan, there's nothing even covering the parts that get hot so I'd say it's not needed at all. (if it doesn't keep the case together or something and if you don't overclock and even then really, or you have crazy ambient temperatures, don't know about that)

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 2, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The place it's currently located gets pretty hot since it's right between an older HDTV, a console, and a router. The device is overclocked and has had some issues running intense programs - plus the fan and such were free. Sounds like it'll be good then!

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
What would I need to turn a Pi B into a Wireless Access Point - not a wifi extender or repeater, but offering its own network? I want to install the camera add on and offer the feed via a local network IP, but this is going to be out in the field and nowhere near another network. This way I'd be able to connect to the wifi via phone and display the video in a browser.

Pending that the Pi camera can expose a stream that'll work in browser via HTML5 or something.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
You want hostapd, it's software that can work with most WiFi adapters to turn them into an access point. Along with hostapd you'll probably want something like dnsmasq which provides DHCP, DNS, etc. without a ton of crazy setup--basically this does all the extra stuff your router normally does beyond just creating a wireless AP. Check out something like this: https://frillip.com/using-your-raspberry-pi-3-as-a-wifi-access-point-with-hostapd/

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Slick, thanks. Looks like there's a half dozen ways to offer a stream from the camera and view it in a mobile browser, so I've got a new project!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh and I just remembered I heard about an interesting project recently that might help, it's a web GUI for setting up and automating a lot of the hostapd, etc. setup. Check it out here: https://github.com/billz/raspap-webgui

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've heard good things about MotionPi, a readymade security camera distro. It might be a good start you can add your wifi AP stuff on top of.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Has anyone used Pi-hole, the ad-blocking service for RPi? It seems really bloated for something that's just redirecting DNS. I'm going through the source now but my main concern was that it would mess with other things like openvpn if it made changes to firewall/routing settings.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have it running on an old model B, works really well

I think it's really supposed to be run on its own with nothing else on the pi, that's why it's good for sticking on an old one you have knocking around then forgetting about

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
It works okay. A better option is running pf Sense on an old laptop and using the pfBlockerNG plugin. Same goal, more reliable hardware (including baked in UPS).

Wireless support in pfSense is piss poor, so you'll probably need an access point.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

DeaconBlues posted:

I used this guide

What's the point of this when a Steam Link box is $50? Not being sarcastic. I'm also a bit confused about the mixup of Nvidia Shield and the Steam Link in the article?

I have a Pi, but it's dedicated as a Kodi media center. I read it's not normal to use a Pi for more than one primary application?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PBCrunch posted:

It works okay. A better option is running pf Sense on an old laptop and using the pfBlockerNG plugin. Same goal, more reliable hardware (including baked in UPS).

Wireless support in pfSense is piss poor, so you'll probably need an access point.

that sounds like a silly overkill solution in the raspberry pi thread but whatever dude

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Skarsnik posted:

that sounds like a silly overkill solution in the raspberry pi thread but whatever dude
Laptops with broken screens appear on my local craigslist all the time for less money than a Raspberry Pi. They usually come with a power supply as well.

My personal experience with the "reliability" of Raspberry Pis and their microSD cards is that the only reason to use a RasPi for anything is if you need GPIO capabilities.

The Pi Foundation cant's switch to USB3 and eMMC or SATA for storage soon enough.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its still a full blown firewall that would take god knows how long to configure vs a single line install that does the one job it's designed to do well. You can even power it straight off the usb port of a router

I'm not sure what you are doing to pi's if you find them unreliable, and this isnt exactly a taxing task. It would run on a zero fine

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Skarsnik posted:

You can even power it straight off the usb port of a router

That is goddamn brilliant.

E: I'm looking to get an rpi to drive my Apple TV via impersonation of a Bluetooth keyboard, my TV via some gross REST protocol, and failing that via IR. I'd like it to be USB powered, and I'm not sure what I need in terms of GPIO to do wifi + Bluetooth + IR emitter. I'm a bit lost in all the variants available.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 7, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Skarsnik posted:

I'm not sure what you are doing to pi's if you find them unreliable, and this isnt exactly a taxing task. It would run on a zero fine

Pis have a massive problem with SD card corruption. SD cards aren't meant for heavy random writes (like running an OS) and their controllers don't handle it well, they will burn out the flash cells. Also, the Pi is very sensitive to its power supply, and iffy power supplies tend to have voltage droop/brownout that causes flash cell damage and/or heavy corruption. And finally, the models that take full-size SD cards tend to suffer from the cards or microSD adapters warping and the pins losing contact with the socket. Those sockets are designed to be embedded in something, not have the card hanging off into space.

The SD card is without a doubt the biggest outright design flaw in the Pi. USB-as-system-bus is also a bad design but at least that was intentional. You can kinda fix it with a bunch of convoluted workarounds but it's just not worth it compared to buying hardware that's not faulty in the first place.

The easy fix is to put some eMMC on there like the clones, but that might make it cost $2 more per unit and they have to keep that sweet marketing going regardless of their product's quality or reliability.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 7, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

The easy fix is to put some eMMC on there like the clones, but that might make it cost $2 more per unit and they have to keep that sweet marketing going regardless of their product's quality or reliability.

Would an eMMC/SD adapter alleviate this? You wouldn't maybe get the full perf, but you'd get the storage lifecycle behaviour.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

Would an eMMC/SD adapter alleviate this? You wouldn't maybe get the full perf, but you'd get the storage lifecycle behaviour.

Sounds like it would fix the write wear, but I don't know what those look like in physical terms, so I don't know if it would fix the warping problem.

The best overall fix is to get a "low profile" microSD-to-SD adapter that doesn't hang off into space. Then you make it read only and bounce to a root filesystem on another device ASAP after bootstrapping.

But again, all of this begs the question of why you aren't just getting one of the clones and getting onboard eMMC, a real SATA channel, USB 3.0, etc. A $60-70 device that comes with an adapter that just works and onboard eMMC offers a very similar total cost of ownership to the RPi and is just going to be a nicer device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

But again, all of this begs the question of why you aren't just getting one of the clones and getting onboard eMMC, a real SATA channel, USB 3.0, etc. A $60-70 device that comes with an adapter that just works and onboard eMMC offers a very similar total cost of ownership to the RPi and is just going to be a nicer device.

Point me to such a clone? Especially if it has wifi and BT.