Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GenericGirlName posted:

Can you provide a screenshot of an "inactive" landmark? As far as I can tell a landmark either exists or it doesn't.

Yeah, maybe in a few hours it'll let me authenticate my log-in again, and I'll take some screens of the 5 in a row near me.

For reference, the landmarks show as the squares. And when I click it, it will say stuff like the name, and at the bottom says it's not currently activated. And when I click the name, it says I can use an item to make it work at some point. Except the item doesn't exist in the shop as far as I could tell. So I have no idea what the hell they expect me to do. And I did try going to some of them last night. One is a clock tower that I stood inside of, and still no pokemon, no active whatever, couldn't activate it. Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

is there a reason to keep catching the same pokemon except to get candy

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Man, after all the polish that went into Miitomo, I'm surprised Nintendo and Niantic flubbed the release as hard as they did

It kinda feels early-access-y right now

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

HighwireAct posted:

Man, after all the polish that went into Miitomo, I'm surprised Nintendo and Niantic flubbed the release as hard as they did

It kinda feels early-access-y right now

It's like they put some intern who never played Pokemon before on a project to reskin Ingress as his task in a 48 hour game jam.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
There's a ghastly near me and i cAN'T FIND IT

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ellbent posted:

There's a ghastly near me and i cAN'T FIND IT

You need a Silph Scope dummy :rolleyes:

io_burn posted:

It's like they put some intern who never played Pokemon before on a project to reskin Ingress as his task in a 48 hour game jam.

To be fair, the Pokemon models themselves look really good

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

oddium posted:

is there a reason to keep catching the same pokemon except to get candy

100 experience per, which adds up, and you need the candy to level up and evolve Pokemon of that line.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Unless they seriously rethink how Pokestops work, there's going to be a ton of very disappointed kids who basically can't play the game.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
The closest pokestop and gym to me are both located inside the memorial gardens of a local church where they spread the ashes of cremated members. You can't get in range without going into the grounds. Uhhh.

The next closest stop is inside access-restricted government property. Hmm.

I finally found a stop I could get to. I spun it and nothing happened. I tried again and it said come back later?

I still haven't found a gym I can get to without trespassing and blasphemy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I live in a uni city, so there seems to be a pokestop every 50m, I guess remnants from Ingress.

On the other hand, I keep getting eggs, and they all require me to walk for hours. I have 3 5km eggs and 2 10km by now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Servers are making GBS threads themselves right after I caught a Krabby. :saddowns:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The spin and nothing happens seems to be because the servers are making GBS threads out

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What happens in like 2 months when all the tryhards fill the gyms with impossible to defeat pokemon? How will people who didnt pick the game up today get into it down the road?

Elewem
Dec 4, 2013

Jar Jar Binks in my Spirit Animal
I've gotten the "server issues" screen a few times today, and it seems that clearing the app cache (android) fixes it. Just letting people know in case they have this happen to them too.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

What happens in like 2 months when all the tryhards fill the gyms with impossible to defeat pokemon? How will people who didnt pick the game up today get into it down the road?

If Miitomo was any indication, people won't be playing this in two days, much less two months.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

We laugh at the 8 year olds that want to compete just like we did with the Pokemon TCG :v:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
nice thread title change

really want to find a fire pokemon outside charmander

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.
Pretty cool so far. I walked around in Philadelphia last night and took over four gyms, three of which were empty at that point. This morning I woke up and three of the four were taken over by different teams.

I have a Pokestop within close enough distance to my apartment also, so I can just sit and spin that poo poo forever and get unlimited items, apparently.

The gyms I went to last night were located:
- At a sculpture of some jumping kangaroos (was empty, took it over)
- At a sculpture called Phoenix Rising down by the river (was empty, took it over)
- At a restaurant on a ship welded to the pier on the Delaware (battled and took it over)
- At the end of South Street at Penn's Landing, where it was at the sculpture of the stick figures walking (was empty, took it over)

I've caught about 50-60 Pokemon so far and I'm excited to go home and walk around more with it. That chart with the locations is nice, also! I might have to visit some parks to try and get an ice type or something.

Amish
Nov 26, 2004

Murder is on the menu.

Rafza posted:

nice thread title change

really want to find a fire pokemon outside charmander

I managed to stumble across a Vulpix just hanging out on my urban street.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Killer Queen posted:

Battery saver mode seems to crash the game on my iPhone SE too. The GPS is very inaccurate and wigs out all the time. Niantic should be on top of this kind of stuff, considering their lengthy beta...

Between being ex-google people, making Ingress, and doing the beta, you'd think they'd have a better handle on it than this.

I've never heard of a mobile game botching the launch this badly. This is like, Diablo 3 levels of failure right here.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The servers must be imploding because the game froze up when I started a gym battle and now I can't login. Yay.

Game's fun when it works, but the servers aren't up to par and the game itself is riddled with bugs.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you get more Incense from stops? All I've gotten so far is pokeballs and eggs

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Zaphod42 posted:

I've never heard of a mobile game botching the launch this badly. This is like, Diablo 3 levels of failure right here.

That's because the usual failure state for a mobile game launch is to continually postpone it until no one cares anymore. Lookin' you here, Justice Monsters V.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
How do you incubate an egg? I click "start incubation" and it brings up an icon of an incubator with an infinity symbol. I click that and nothing happens.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Two issues I've had with the game so far:
- The game doesn't remember Google logins
- When you get the “server issues” screen, there's no option to return to the main menu, so you need to actually close the app and restart it to get back

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I live in a fairly big college town -- it's not New York City but we're nothing to sneeze at. I'm in a dense suburb right next to a shopping center and a park. I'm really shocked at how little there is around me. There's one pokestop across a busy road, out of my range right now, and that's it. Pokemon don't come to my side of the street. I'm going to go out explorin later, but it's seriously like my cats chased them all away.

My husband, meanwhile, works in a development office on the extreme north end of town in a bunch of industrial parks and has been beating pokemon off him all day. They're all over. So I have no idea what the hell triggers it.

He knows nothing about pokemon, I had to explain to him what a gym was. So maybe the best way to lure pokemon is to be a complete newbie?

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Petr posted:

How do you incubate an egg? I click "start incubation" and it brings up an icon of an incubator with an infinity symbol. I click that and nothing happens.

You should see the egg sitting in it. Once that is done you need to walk the required distance listed for the egg and it will hatch.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I love getting server issues every other time I open the app. I also love having to put in my 16 character randomly generated password by hand each time because they won't let me paste it from my password manager. :argh:

Should have used my Google account to sign in. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Petr posted:

You put the egg in an incubator to incubate it. Then you walk around, like in any pokemon game. For added realism, drive your bike back and forth in a straight line.

You can buy more incubators with $$$ if you want to incubate more than one egg at a time, hence the "pick which incubator" screen.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Deofuta posted:

You should see the egg sitting in it. Once that is done you need to walk the required distance listed for the egg and it will hatch.

Nope. Just an empty incubator that doesn't do poo poo when I poke it.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Also, I can't figure out how to exit the app gracefully. Will I lose my poo poo when I force-close it?

Should I trespass into the church's memorial crematory distributions garden for pokemans Y/N vote below

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaphod42 posted:

You put the egg in an incubator to incubate it. Then you walk around, like in any pokemon game. For added realism, drive your bike back and forth in a straight line.

There's a half mile bike track at my apartment complex. I plan on hatching some eggs this weekend. :v:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Petr posted:

Should I trespass into the church's memorial crematory distributions garden for pokemans Y/N vote below

Nah, you'll probably just get weak Ghost types.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Petr posted:

Also, I can't figure out how to exit the app gracefully. Will I lose my poo poo when I force-close it?

Its an online MMO style server game, there is no exit gracefully. Everything you do is constantly saved as you do it on the servers.

If the game crashes or the servers go down AS you're capturing something it wont' be saved, but there's nothing you can do about that. Otherwise its always saving and you can just force kill the app whenever you want.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

Get off my math homework! I haven't been paying attention in class today :sigh:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I occasionally see like grass bits flying off the ground near me, if I go to that area will I find a pokemon?

Also what is the deal with teh little footprint pokemon thing to the right of the pokeball on the main menu?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My neighborhood and city are like coated in a thick layer of PokeStops and gyms, because there's a gigantic thriving Ingress community here and all these things are just the same locations as portals lol

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Knifegrab posted:

I occasionally see like grass bits flying off the ground near me, if I go to that area will I find a pokemon?

Also what is the deal with teh little footprint pokemon thing to the right of the pokeball on the main menu?

Oh! I know this one. The more footprints there are, the further away that pokemon is from you. No footprints means you it's right by you, and you can probably see it on your map by then.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
edit: a double post :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Man I can take a 15 minute walk from my work and hit like 15 pokestops how useful

• Locked thread