Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

digital foundry did a look at ps4 vs ps3 revelator (both are good they say with ps3 only having issues during overdrives and match ending sequences) but the real news is that they let it slip out that the PC version is being worked on by a 3rd party company and is due out around the end of the year or early next.

here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJByTygWVA

and here's the guy's clarification from the comments when people don't believe him.

eurogamer/digital foundry posted:

Hi there! Sorry to get your hopes up - I'm reliably informed PC is around 6 months away (and handled by a different team too). We're looking at a very late 2016 if we're being optimistic, but more likely an early 2017 release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
A different team in the same company?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Just in time for Baiken Edition

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How the gently caress is this in anyway more intuitive or better than playing with a standard gamecube controller? Why would anyone want to learn how to play with this? Sorry, I don't play Smash so I can't tell if this gives any advantage but it sure looks dumb.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's so they can give the people who win smash at Evo a joystick and it not look as ridiculous

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

will the community even allow this? they banned the removal of springs from gamecube controllers a long time ago, how is using something like this not considered way worse?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
aren't hitboxes tolerated in tekken even though they allow you to do some cheap poo poo or whatever

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

General Morden posted:

aren't hitboxes tolerated in tekken even though they allow you to do some cheap poo poo or whatever

i mean the moment they become more than a theoretical novelty like a hitbox user actually wins something they might be less tolerated. hitbox users are the libertarian party of fg politics

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My friend started using a custom made hitbox cause he thought it would help his IAD combos, but I'm skeptical. Slamming a joystick is too much fun.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zand posted:

will the community even allow this? they banned the removal of springs from gamecube controllers a long time ago, how is using something like this not considered way worse?

Interesting, why did they ban removing springs?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zand posted:

wait seriously

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Interesting, why did they ban removing springs?

I haven't heard of it before but probably something to do with removing the throw of the shoulder buttons, so they're digital instead of analog.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

digital foundry did a look at ps4 vs ps3 revelator (both are good they say with ps3 only having issues during overdrives and match ending sequences) but the real news is that they let it slip out that the PC version is being worked on by a 3rd party company and is due out around the end of the year or early next.

here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSJByTygWVA

and here's the guy's clarification from the comments when people don't believe him.

I don't have the ps4 Rev, but the ps3 version is really ugly compared to PC Sign. So ugly that I'm going to return it an wait until I have a ps4 or the PC version comes out. Not sure about frame drops and that kind of thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

In Training posted:

I haven't heard of it before but probably something to do with removing the throw of the shoulder buttons, so they're digital instead of analog.

are there spring checks at tournaments

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

AndyElusive posted:

How the gently caress is this in anyway more intuitive or better than playing with a standard gamecube controller? Why would anyone want to learn how to play with this? Sorry, I don't play Smash so I can't tell if this gives any advantage but it sure looks dumb.

Probably going to try to appeal to smash players who want to avoid the hand/wrist problems associated with doing finger gymnastics on a gamecube controller for a long time (it's more common than you'd think)

Zand posted:

This isn't a common thing. Most TOs allow for spring removal and other slight controller modifications.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

Intuitive? definitely not. Better? possibly. High level smash has a lot of really awkward movements that I could definitely see being easier with a hitbox.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I remember when I first started following Evo in like 2002 (and ordering DVDs through the mail to watch weeks later :negative:) there was concern at tournaments about programmable button macros and even whether to let people bind stuff like PPP/KKK to its own button. At least the latter seems more commonly accepted now.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Electromax posted:

I remember when I first started following Evo in like 2002 (and ordering DVDs through the mail to watch weeks later :negative:) there was concern at tournaments about programmable button macros and even whether to let people bind stuff like PPP/KKK to its own button. At least the latter seems more commonly accepted now.

That's because it became a common feature of the home version of games. Hard to ban something when the publisher encourages it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

General Morden posted:

People who are good at Tekken have been good at Tekken for a long time and don't need/want Hitboxes.

People who want a Hitbox so they can become good suck at the game anyway and the Hitbox isn't really helping them win anything so most people ignore it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
hitboxes should still be banned tho for real

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just get some gloves with a button embedded in each fingertip, boom portable hitbox you can even play while jumping around.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

anime was right posted:

Nah, in fact arcade sticks should be banned and only hitboxes and Wiimote+Nunchucks allowed.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

anime was right posted:

why? Also, could you do 360 motions on one of those things?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
when can i play fgs with my mind so with my absolute brilliant clarity i sweep the competition since i no longer have to overcome the labyrinthine button riddle that is doing a hadouken??

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Madmarker posted:

On a non-smash hitbox, the up button is on your thumb (think A, S, D, Spacebar on your keyboard for left, down, right, up) which means to do a 360 you just drum your fingers across the 4 buttons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jmcrofts posted:

Intuitive? definitely not. Better? possibly. High level smash has a lot of really awkward movements that I could definitely see being easier with a hitbox.

Doesn't Smash have 16-way directional inputs or something like that? Seems like that would be one of the few occasions where a purely digital input device would be a disadvantage, if anything.

Madmarker posted:

When I still played fighting games regularly I could do a 360 on keyboard, and that's basically a hitbox with less sensitive buttons and a weird layout. It's easier on games that deliberately enable that sort of thing, but it's possible even in older / emulated ones.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Brosnan posted:

People who are good at Tekken have been good at Tekken for a long time and don't need/want Hitboxes.

People who want a Hitbox so they can become good suck at the game anyway and the Hitbox isn't really helping them win anything so most people ignore it.

i remember aris going on some tirade on how they should be banned because they let people cheat in tekken or something

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

General Morden posted:

i remember aris going on some tirade on how they should be banned because they let people cheat in tekken or something

Depending on the game, a hitbox with or without an SOCD cleaner will potentially let you easily/flawlessly do inputs that are not intended to be easy. IE, flawlessly go fwd->back with no neutral or vice-versa.

They also cause problems with retro games (particularly) that didn't do anything defensively for the unexpected scenario of conflicting directional inputs, etc.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

anime was right posted:

I mean yeah, they should.

So should PPP/KKK macros.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

why

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brosnan posted:

next weekend i'm dedicating every time I bind my macro on stream to you, sug

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Can someone please tell me what show this song is from?

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

AndyElusive posted:

There are a lot of possible explanations for this abomination, but once you remember that this is Nintendo's doing, all of the reasonable and logical reasons fall away like a leper's rotting flesh.

There is Nintend-no good reason

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

FoxStrats posted:

There are a lot of possible explanations for this abomination, but once you remember that this is Nintendo's doing, all of the reasonable and logical reasons fall away like a leper's rotting flesh.

There is Nintend-no good reason

What does it have to do with Nintendo?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Hello, I am the token local hitbox user.

What the gently caress is that thing for, why is jump there, why are the two tilt buttons there, lol this is a melee stick and I think that means it won't work with smash 4

this is some mixture of the sunk cost fallacy and insanity

CastDream
Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOEw3MFWVo

88. A Continental Gale (Unknown Land [America]-Rock) 2:20:37

Edit: the Soul Blade/Edge stage themes are really loving good.

CastDream fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 8, 2016

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

What does it have to do with Nintendo?

Nintendo has been on a downward spiral since about late 2007. They realize that appending onto once-original-and-fresh franchises with trivially different installments isn't working, so they're attempting to woo their 90's fans with retro poo poo like rear end-backwards fight-sticks, if I can even call them that.

Nintendo was once great, but they refused - and still refuse - to compete in the arms race that other studios are waging on them, so they're losing a massive amount of fans; by assuming that their legacy would carry them, they've effectively granted the marketing department precedence to save some of the patrons Nintendo has left.

If that doesn't convince you, no other studio would come up with something this awkward and un-usable besides a titan on its last legs trying to come up with something new like they used to back in the 90s/early 2000s.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think that Hitbox has anything to do with Nintendo, pal.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I mean it sounds like you have a lot of bitterness and resentment towards Nintendo and it's kind of pathetic but also,

that thing has nothing to do with Nintendo, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

Hitbox does what Ninten-don't.