Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

So what I'm getting out of this is...no book yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

HELLO LADIES posted:

Have you considered reading Sanderson instead? Honest question. Shitdick though he is, GRRM's not writing a narrative exegesis of the rules of his homebrew D&D campaign.

Everyone should read Sanderson. At least Warbreaker (it's free on his website) and Stormlight Archives, which has book 3 coming out next year and will likely be a finished series (10 books total) before ASOIAF is completed by GRRM.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

So what I'm getting out of this is...no book yet?

I'm sure he's hard at work... staring off into oblivion.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

HELLO LADIES posted:

Have you considered reading Sanderson instead? Honest question. Shitdick though he is, GRRM's not writing a narrative exegesis of the rules of his homebrew D&D campaign.

tbh im really not one for the fantasy genre. The only fantasy I ever remember liking was this and a David Eddings book I read. I dont even remember why I started liking this series, maybe because it was like historical fiction but as the series got more fantasy I liked the books less. Then the show came out and rekindled my interest probably just to see it through to the conclusion. I am probably one of the few people who read the books before the show but actually enjoy the show more.

Anywhoo, im just trying to piece together what the show has revealed about the Others and it seems to conflict a lot with what has been written about the world. Having GRRM calling plot holes just an unreliable narrator when there is no real precedent for it in either books or show is lazy to me.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

TommyGun85 posted:

Anywhoo, im just trying to piece together what the show has revealed about the Others and it seems to conflict a lot with what has been written about the world. Having GRRM calling plot holes just an unreliable narrator when there is no real precedent for it in either books or show is lazy to me.

You mean plot holes like Pliny the Elder or the medieval chronology of world history?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TommyGun85 posted:

tbh im really not one for the fantasy genre. The only fantasy I ever remember liking was this and a David Eddings book I read. I dont even remember why I started liking this series, maybe because it was like historical fiction but as the series got more fantasy I liked the books less. Then the show came out and rekindled my interest probably just to see it through to the conclusion. I am probably one of the few people who read the books before the show but actually enjoy the show more.

It doesn't conflict with anything.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

It doesn't conflict with anything: The age of heroes and all the other legends are several times called out as being unreliable in the books.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
It's right there in the name, "Children", they're loving stupid. That's why they made some zombies, Brain saw it in his tree vision .mpeg.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

It's right there in the name, "Children", they're loving stupid. That's why they made some zombies, Brain saw it in his tree vision .mpeg.

this makes sense

it rhymes

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Pls don't read Sanderson if you like GRRM for the usual reasons. Read Bakker instead, it's the only thing that makes sense IMO.

Reading Sanderson is like drinking alcohol-free hand sanitizer.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

The series ends when the Adults of the forest returns. Turns out ASoIaF was just a game all along and now the children have to clean up and go to bed.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

mcustic posted:

Eh. I appreciate a fantasy author who doesn't do sex scenes. Fantasy authors are generally the type of people who should not be discussing sex, period. You get weirdo rape fantasies like GRRM.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Atreiden posted:

The series ends when the Adults of the forest returns. Turns out ASoIaF was just a game all along and now the children have to clean up and go to bed.

the adults are gonna step on hella legos

this may not end well

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TequilaJesus posted:

Eh. I appreciate a fantasy author who doesn't do sex scenes. Fantasy authors are generally the type of people who should not be discussing sex, period. You get weirdo rape fantasies like GRRM.

I'm not even griping about the lack of sex scenes. His writing style is rather bland, the characters indistinguishable and his worlds lack a certain brutality I like in GRRM's and Bakker's works. Even Robert Jordan made his bad guys discomforting and creepy enough to make them feel like a real threat, unlike Sanderson. (Opinion based on Mistborn and Way of the Kings)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Atreiden posted:

I think there's a Star Trek episode like that

Woke but broke
Jun 17, 2016
Sure he's an rear end in a top hat, but :lol:

https://twitter.com/voxday/status/751064837657096192

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i'd prosecute her

and then retire

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Just looked at that guys twitter, he is going to be pissed next season in the battle of the 5 queens or whatever when Dany steamrolls Westeros with an army of castrated soldiers and her war council of 3 castrated men and a half man with her Iron born salt wife by her side.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Mujaji posted:

Just looked at that guys twitter, he is going to be pissed next season in the battle of the 5 queens or whatever when Dany steamrolls Westeros with an army of castrated soldiers and her war council of 3 castrated men and a half man with her Iron born salt wife by her side.

:haw: never realized that. I wonder if it's intentional or a happy accident that Queen Empowerment is surrounded by castrated men.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MrSlam posted:

:haw: never realized that. I wonder if it's intentional or a happy accident that Queen Empowerment is surrounded by castrated men.
Yeah it never really occurred to me that all three of the castrated named characters are now together on the same team.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Plus Jorah whenever he gets back

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

he gets a replacement pimp hand too

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I Own Soulz posted:

I just finished BOTNS and don't have a clue what I just read.

that's the correct reaction, the followup (Uth of the New Sun) sorta helps it make more sense (and Gene Wolfe said what happens in Urth is supposed to be able to be puzzled out from BOTNS, which tells you what he expects of his readers ((inhuman textual analysis ability))).

syscall girl posted:

he gets a replacement pimp hand too

they had best give him a volcano arm. the show's cut so many things that could be great (or unbelievably cheesy) visually already, just gimme that drat lava fist and I'll be happy.

robbed of the Yellow Whale being a whale...robbed of Daario's blue hair...robbed of Darkstar...throw me a bone with the volcano arm

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
those scenes of tyrion and jorah were great though

we got to see a little of essos and

damnit someone tell me what episode that was

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 7, 2016

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo8cS5Sq7Gg

e: n/m

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

that's the correct reaction, the followup (Uth of the New Sun) sorta helps it make more sense (and Gene Wolfe said what happens in Urth is supposed to be able to be puzzled out from BOTNS, which tells you what he expects of his readers ((inhuman textual analysis ability))).

they had best give him a volcano arm. the show's cut so many things that could be great (or unbelievably cheesy) visually already, just gimme that drat lava fist and I'll be happy.

robbed of the Yellow Whale being a whale...robbed of Daario's blue hair...robbed of Darkstar...throw me a bone with the volcano arm

Worst of all robbed of Strong Belwas.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

KellyC castrated him already, so that works.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

The admiral of the navy in One Piece has volcano arms.

He uses them to punch through people and shoot magma bombs in the air.

If Joramun did that I'd be so happy

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Atreiden posted:

Worst of all robbed of Nimble Dick Crabb.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Mujaji posted:

He seems to have written a fantasy book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6H0J7S/

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Atreiden posted:

Worst of all robbed of Pretty Pig

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

vseslav.botkin posted:

He seems to have written a fantasy book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6H0J7S/

from an amazon review "Frequent readers of the author's blog, or his articles at [...] know that A THRONE OF BONES was in fact written as a direct response both to the specific flaws of Martin's latest "Song of Ice and Fire" novel, A DANCE WITH DRAGONS?"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
"This hefty tome has a scope and grandeur rivaling George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, but instead of mocking heroic ideals, Day celebrates them."

In some dark twist of Escher-esque physics the exact opposite of GRRM somehow also sounds terrible.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Atreiden posted:

The series makes so much more sense when you imagine it as just a bunch of kids on a playground pretending to be in medieval times and trying to one up each other.

Imagine Ramsay as that one kid that claims bullets can't kill him, since he has a golden force field or something.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

"This hefty tome has a scope and grandeur rivaling George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, but instead of mocking heroic ideals, Day celebrates them."

In some dark twist of Escher-esque physics the exact opposite of GRRM somehow also sounds terrible.

I tried reading it - amazon has a bunch of chapters online, and the first two were ok interesting - but I think like each of the first 8 chapters are all different POVs and I lost interest. Seems not that great tbh.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

mcustic posted:

Pls don't read Sanderson if you like GRRM for the usual reasons. Read Bakker instead, it's the only thing that makes sense IMO.

agreed

bakker is the closest

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004

kcroy posted:

I tried reading it - amazon has a bunch of chapters online, and the first two were ok interesting - but I think like each of the first 8 chapters are all different POVs and I lost interest. Seems not that great tbh.

This guy has nominated HIMSELF for Hugo awards three years in a row came last or close to last and calls himself a "Five-time Hugo Award nominee"

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

why do all fantasy authors have to have some huge grand scale story

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Trabandiumium posted:

Because most of them come up with a fictional world first, and the story second. So naturally they tailor the story to cover as many of their cool, super unique aspects of the world as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Trabandiumium posted:

Garrett, PI series doesn't.