Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rakosi posted:

Nice ad hom. Certainly invalidates your contributions to the thread so far.

This is your company, Who What Now.

I got bored of trying to discuss science with people who don't know what it means and insist they do.

And yes, of course it's an ad hominem attack. Harris is a repellent person with terrible ideas, so it's hard not to find his every mannerism and very face disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Jack Gladney posted:

you're doing that because you consider the claim "jewish cultural distinctiveness contributed to the holocaust" to be true.

Wrong. Untrue. Bad information. False assumption. What else can I say to get you to stop reading into my comments something that isn't there, and further, using that as an excuse to not answer the question? "Hey that doesn't apply to other thing, so I'm not gonna answer it!" So what? It applies to a lot of this discussion. If I say, "fine, you win, on further consideration what Harris said about the Jews is barbaric and untenable" will you answer the question?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

This is why I refuse to engage with him anymore (except passive aggressively!). I'm done with Who What Now.

Oh my gosh, you are just adorable. Do your parents know you stole a credit card to register here?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

If I say, "fine, you win, on further consideration what Harris said about the Jews is barbaric and untenable" will you answer the question?

Why do you think lying to us will solve anything?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Oh my gosh, you are just adorable. Do your parents know you stole a credit card to register here?

Now imagine a world where everybody stole their mom's credit card. (I'm doing science right now.)

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Did Jesus make you all so prissy? :3

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

SedanChair posted:

I got bored of trying to discuss science with people who don't know what it means and insist they do.

And yes, of course it's an ad hominem attack. Harris is a repellent person with terrible ideas, so it's hard not to find his every mannerism and very face disgusting.

He does look a little jewish I suppose. If I was an antisemite, as you clearly based on finding his 'face disgusting' I might agree.

This kind of nonsensical bullshit is fun, I can see why ya'll do it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wrong. Untrue. Bad information. False assumption. What else can I say to get you to stop reading into my comments something that isn't there, and further, using that as an excuse to not answer the question? "Hey that doesn't apply to other thing, so I'm not gonna answer it!" So what? It applies to a lot of this discussion. If I say, "fine, you win, on further consideration what Harris said about the Jews is barbaric and untenable" will you answer the question?

There you go. If you say something accurate, it doesn't matter how you say it. People get mad for all sorts of reasons that you can't control. But don't confuse that for people getting mad at a statement that is silly or false or poorly informed or poorly reasoned.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

OwlFancier posted:

. I also don't want to suggest they're in any way as positive of a contributor to society as famous civil rights campaigners with my earlier analogy.

I think we found the problem. You are so wary to give credit or support in even the most meager of ways because you perceive them as xenophobic or worse, so you are discounting and downplaying them as hard as possible. Well, my suggestion is: stop doing that, and be a little more intellectually honest.

OwlFancier posted:

I would again suggest that the primary reason for the heavy saturation of books saying religion is bad is once again, capitalism, and also, to a degree, the reason why the first books found it difficult to get published. The primary motivator in both instances is money, as, I think, is a significant part of Harris' motivation to write it to begin with.

I think capitalism is just a measurement of societal opinions, not something that causes them. Well, that may be too broad: I think it's less of a cause and more of a measurement. How about that.

I think the comparison to civil rights is apt, because while it obviously took a shift in societal thinking writ large, having people like King or Rosa Parks helped to shape that societal opinion, if nothing else then by giving people a figure to rally around.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jiggerypokery posted:

He does look a little jewish I suppose. If I was an antisemite, as you clearly based on finding his 'face disgusting' I might agree.

This kind of nonsensical bullshit is fun, I can see why ya'll do it.

I find lots of faces disgusting when I learn of the ideas that come out of them. Ben Carson, Mark Zuckerberg, Tony Blair, Ann Coulter, whoever. If they weren't pieces of poo poo they'd look fine to me.

Kind of a desperate tactic you just tried there.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

it doesn't matter how you say it. People get mad for all sorts of reasons that you can't control.

My point is actually that it matters very much how you say it. If that statement (about women & driving) were true, just stating it plainly would be enough to piss many people off. That is what poisons so many of these discussions.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Kind of a desperate tactic you just tried there.

Exactly as desperate as yours. Just saying "Harris is reprehensible, wants to kill Muslims, and loves war" is as easy as it is dishonest.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Exactly as desperate as yours. Just saying "Harris is reprehensible, wants to kill Muslims, and loves war" is as easy as it is dishonest.

But that's all true, the first claim proceeding from the accuracy of the second and third.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Exactly. I just wanted to know how being lazy and dishonest felt.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My point is actually that it matters very much how you say it. If that statement (about women & driving) were true, just stating it plainly would be enough to piss many people off. That is what poisons so many of these discussions.

So why are you surprised that people didn't like it when he said something in a lovely way that was also patently false?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think we found the problem. You are so wary to give credit or support in even the most meager of ways because you perceive them as xenophobic or worse, so you are discounting and downplaying them as hard as possible. Well, my suggestion is: stop doing that, and be a little more intellectually honest.

I think capitalism is just a measurement of societal opinions, not something that causes them. Well, that may be too broad: I think it's less of a cause and more of a measurement. How about that.

I think the comparison to civil rights is apt, because while it obviously took a shift in societal thinking writ large, having people like King or Rosa Parks helped to shape that societal opinion, if nothing else then by giving people a figure to rally around.

I dislike comparing people who I believe to be responsible for contributing to the rise of the alt-right with all its associated xenophobia with people who campaigned against precisely the opposite of that, yes. I only do so because both were involved in major societal changes and I need something to compare to.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if we take a literal reading of sam harris' texts it's obvious that he's a bloodthirsty monster who wants to kill the infidel, and it's supremly dishonest and sloppy to claim otherwise

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Did any of you people watch the video I cited in one of my last posts? I've done my legwork in this thread. Do yours, and report back.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rakosi posted:

Did any of you people watch the video I cited in one of my last posts? I've done my legwork in this thread. Do yours, and report back.

nobody's going to watch a thirty minute video just to gain the celestial grace to continue to be in your conversational favor. if you can't even make your own arguments and rely on someone else to make them for you then there's not much point to you, is there?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if we take a literal reading of sam harris' texts it's obvious that he's a bloodthirsty monster who wants to kill the infidel, and it's supremly dishonest and sloppy to claim otherwise

But his voice is so soft, his words so big! Doesn't that count for anything?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

if we take a literal reading of sam harris' texts it's obvious that he's a bloodthirsty monster who wants to kill the infidel

some of his acolytes argue for a less literal reading of his words in the name of moderating his message, but they constantly run up against the issue that his books feature no shortage of claims explicitly contradicting their arguments that "no, he never said torture was morally necessary"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

People get mad when lack of nuance makes a statement inaccurate or incomplete, or when an rear end in a top hat allows his own unexamined prejudices cause him to misunderstand what he reads and hears. Simply being an rear end in a top hat doesn't matter.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

nobody's going to watch a thirty minute video just to gain the celestial grace to continue to be in your conversational favor

I put in minutes to search for quotes for people who asked for them, do the same or forever shut the gently caress up ITT lmao.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Who What Now posted:

Do YOURS? Never read the initial post, but your sarcastic reply implies emotional involvement. I find it funny. So, false sarcasm aside. Wanna talk about it?

This is SA, it's anonymous (not really), talk about it. We all did it buddy, there's no shame. Just talk, mate. You post implies you want to say something. Please, say it.

Oh, and for the record, I am a multicultural Australian. Pho is kinda my favourite meal. Not even joking. Culture aside, it's nice to have new religions challenging my worldview. Religions are kinda cool when you think about it. New ideas, new perspectives. Athiests are so dull. I used to be one of them. I was the worst!

I'd take dinner with the Dalai Lama instead of Richard Dawkins any day.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

But his voice is so soft, his words so big! Doesn't that count for anything?

no sorry, there's only one way to read a text correctly and i am the one who has figured it out, so you'd better listen to what i have to say or risk being wrong (see this hourlong video for more proof)

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

no sorry, there's only one way to read a text correctly and i am the one who has figured it out, so you'd better listen to what i have to say or risk being wrong (see this hourlong video for more proof)

Hahah you're adorable. Quote where anyone said that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

M-my wrongness, hiding in the video?? Can you narrow it down to 4 minutes at least?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

M-my wrongness, hiding in the video?? Can you narrow it down to 4 minutes at least?

the longer you spend watching the video and doing your own independent research, the more you demonstrate your commitment to rational thought. i cannot hold your hand through this process; you must go it alone

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

the longer you spend watching the video and doing your own independent research, the more you demonstrate your commitment to rational thought. i cannot hold your hand through this process; you must go it alone

Dammit. Can any of this coursework be substituted by posting memes of Harris looking off into the distance?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yes, memes are one of the most literal and rational forms of communication known to man

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

So what you two are trying to express is that you are both unapologetic cock badgers, afterall?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rakosi posted:

So what you two are trying to express is that you are both unapologetic cock badgers, afterall?

You have something against cock badgering?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

You have something against cock badgering?

cock badgering is entirely irrational, makes sense. hold on, i've got some very compelling and highly logical independent blogs around here that prove it, one sec

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

I will take it as a win if this is the second thread to be named after my choice of vocabulary.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

I put in minutes to search for quotes for people who asked for them, do the same or forever shut the gently caress up ITT lmao.

Or what?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Or shut the gently caress up ITT. Do you have your reading glasses?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
being rational, every day, in thought and action, is the biggest win any of us could ever achieve. i declare this before kin and kind as my purpose in life. i swear it

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

being rational, every day, in thought and action, is the biggest win any of us could ever achieve. i declare this before kin and kind as my purpose in life. i swear it

Swear it before the old gods

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakosi posted:

Or shut the gently caress up ITT. Do you have your reading glasses?

No, what are you gonna do if we don't shut the gently caress up forever ITT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

NO-QUARTERMASTER

Who What Now posted:

No, what are you gonna do if we don't shut the gently caress up forever ITT?

I cant hear you over how loudly you are shutting the gently caress up forever ITT.

• Locked thread