Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gridlocked posted:

Update: I watched 12mins of it and decided this game has way too much text.

That's the point, it's a visual novel. The issue is they tried to sell it as a bartending game. Papers Please had its passport stamping as the main game, and the characters were secondary, allowing it to prosper as a game. This has its dialogue front and center and bartending as secondary. The demo is much better paced and better written than the actual game though, which is a bit of a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anime is [R/B]ad

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anime is Brad

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Really Pants posted:

Would it be too spoilery to ask if we'll be seeing any maids, or women with animal ears in their hair?

Well I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.

Unrelated but do you have any guesses for lotto ticket numbers?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pavlov posted:

Unrelated but do you have any guesses for lotto ticket numbers?

Before I help anybody with financial matters again, I'm going to need a legally binding guarantee that they won't use any of the money to pretend to gently caress their own kin for a year.

don't get me wrong, the writer clearly isn't endorsing that sort of behavior, but Christs

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 18, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I can already tell this thread is gonna be great if only for how many ":cry: ANIME" posts are going to happen.

There's a reason this game's website url is waifubartending.com, people

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
it's because it's a bad game

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016
I could not stand all of the video. And can say that the problem is not "ANIME" cuz I like the stuff.
But agree that the dialogue is very poorly written. The way the text goes on and the nudging references are pretty irritating too.

In papers please, when the phony dude finally appears with a good passport I crack a big smile.
Getting to know people in persona, regardless of their stereotypes, is fun as hell cuz depth and well written.

The problem of the game then, IMO is the feeling it gets to me that the writers only wanted to be edgy and shove their nudges and opinions. Without actually creating a character.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I survived The 3rd Birthday LP, I'm sure this is a walk in the park by comparison.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Why is there a video LP of a visual novel?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I can already tell this thread is gonna be great if only for how many ":cry: ANIME" posts are going to happen.

There's a reason this game's website url is waifubartending.com, people

I feel like a lot of it is going to just be ":hurr: ANIME" but it is super easy to confuse the two

Niggurath posted:

well they could hardly put it on audiobook

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

NeruVolpi posted:

In papers please, when (spoiler) I crack a big smile.
Getting to know people in persona, regardless of their stereotypes, is fun as hell cuz depth and well written.

The problem of the game then, IMO is the feeling it gets to me that the writers only wanted to be edgy and shove their nudges and opinions. Without actually creating a character.

Similar things happen here and are similarly smile worthy. The game is successful with creating characters but it has the visual novel problem of that taking a significant amount of time. The relevant event in Papers Please happens in like, what the third day? Most of the good character defining moments start to happen after day 7 in this IIRC.

MachuPikacchu posted:

I like the aesthetic and the soundtrack, but yeah, this game has way too much badly written text. The conversations last ages and veer between moods almost at random. It also bugs me how the devs are trying to handle mature themes in the most immature way possible.

I've only played through the game once so I only have that playthrough's route to judge on but there's only one character in the game that I could say was completely immature about the themes of the game. The badly written text is a malus but conversation length is actually pretty good (Jill's break time really helps with this) plus Donovan and Ingram are two of the game's weaker characters, Ingram the worse of the two. Donovan's a good introductory character in that he helps set the atmosphere and expectations for what cyber-bartending is going to be like, but he doesn't grow that much.

Other characters are a bit more organic in their moods, with the conversation changing usually with a drink request or other similar organic breakpoint.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

EponymousMrYar posted:

Most of the good character defining moments start to happen after day 7 in this IIRC.

If something only gets good half way through, doesn't that make it 50% bad?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The game has problems related to it's format and pacing but it's still a visual novel game on par with any of the mainline Pheonix Wright (haven't played the 3DS ones.)

Pavlov posted:

If something only gets good half way through, doesn't that make it 50% bad?

In character driven writing, if you pick up the book and read the first few chapters to get introduced to the characters, decide you don't care about them and put it down, you've barely scratched 5% of the story. That's the feeling I get when I read/hear about most of the negative reviews this game got. That doesn't mean that the story is bad, it means that it failed to grab them for whatever reason (the majority of which are subjective and therefor not a good indication of it's actual quality) and that's fine especially when tackling the subjects that the game does.

Vall Hall A is very character driven.

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

In character driven writing, if you pick up the book and read the first few chapters to get introduced to the characters, decide you don't care about them and put it down, you've barely scratched 5% of the story. That's the feeling I get when I read/hear about most of the negative reviews this game got. That doesn't mean that the story is bad, it means that it failed to grab them for whatever reason (the majority of which are subjective and therefor not a good indication of it's actual quality) and that's fine especially when tackling the subjects that the game does.

Vall Hall A is very character driven.

Visual Novels are character driven most of the times cuz there are few other gameplay mechanics.

The fact that it is character driven but can not make me even make me pay attention to the characters is a fault by itself.

In persona , every time you make a new social link, you already have in mind if you want to see that characters storybor not.
I hated Bebe on first sight and never went after lvl1. But with Chihiro (is that the right name? Girl that cant talk to boys?) I wanted to know her motives and story.

This decision was made based on the characters. They were built in a way that made me decide to explore or not.

In valhalla the feeling is more like "I don't care about this character and what he says doesn't matter".

My guess is that is the flaw most people are seeing in the game. Indiference for a main aspect is way worse than dislike.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

NeruVolpi posted:

My guess is that is the flaw most people are seeing in the game. Indiference for a main aspect is way worse than dislike.

That's what it is for me, at least. I didn't object to anything in DDD's characterization (Disclaimer: I did not see all of his character), it was just a prominent thought of "Why are you still talking? You didn't have anything to say when you sat down, and you still don't."

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

CJacobs posted:

That's the joke, jill doesn't give a gently caress about anything

Considering what I've seen of the tumblr generation, that's less of a joke and more of a statement. A really not well thought out one...but that's aside from the fact that as someone who has read anime VNs I find this incredibly dull considering it's premise is "Cyberpunk bartending".

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Niggurath posted:

This is a cogent question. Reading through this would be way more tolerable than watching for an hour. (I'll confess that I missed part of the first video because I fell asleep.)

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Would you be so cruel as to make Zen go through this alone?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

NeruVolpi posted:

The fact that it is character driven but can not make me even make me pay attention to the characters is a fault by itself.
Yes but my beef with this is that usually people confuse it as the medium's fault and not their own, especially in mediums that have a slow start. Ultimately nothing can make you care about/pay attention to fictional characters without some part of you wanting to do that and in games it's usually via incentives.

In your Persona example, you chose not to pursue Bebe and thus did not gain any of the gameplay (and story) benefits of increasing that social link, which can lead to a game over because Persona's a pretty difficult game and wants you to break it over your knee. You can do that missing a social link or two, but it's harder. The game's format is a more pro-active approach to it's character stories because you have to explore in order to find them in the first place.

Vall Hall A's is reactive and it makes sense. You're a bartender. You don't get to choose your customers, but you can choose how you serve them. Serving them poorly (or lots of alcohol) to make them go away faster means you don't get their tips and flawless service bonus to spend on things Jill/you will want. There is a game over/bad end state with this: Jill's rent.

Thus I had no problem paying attention to most of the characters because I could relate to Jill's predicament. For the other characters I only found two of them mostly forgettable/ignore-worthy (because they are a pile of references wrapped in an attention-grabbing package with nothing else to them) but then again the themes the game explores don't put me off like they do others.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

EponymousMrYar posted:

Yes but my beef with this is that usually people confuse it as the medium's fault and not their own

Yeah I normally like VNs and I think this game looks like poo poo so far, the characters seen in the first day are three bland stereotypes and Edgelord Ingram. Considering the foreshadowing about the second day at the end of last video, I doubt it's going to do much to turn things around. The rest of the game is going to have to absolutely bust its rear end from that point on just to manage an "it was okay, I guess". I could go on about the awkward flow of the conversations and the poor judgment on display at attempting to address content they clearly weren't equipped to deal with, but suffice it to say that this game is badly-written, and one would be better served picking up literally anything made by Christine Love instead.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you mean like the game christine love made after two seconds of googling korean history

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

just like persona is the game atlus made after like 2 seconds of googling jung

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well, tbh yeah, but jungian psychology isn't a race

NeruVolpi
Apr 23, 2016

EponymousMrYar posted:

Thus I had no problem paying attention to most of the characters because I could relate to Jill's predicament. For the other characters I only found two of them mostly forgettable/ignore-worthy (because they are a pile of references wrapped in an attention-grabbing package with nothing else to them) but then again the themes the game explores don't put me off like they do others.

The idea of the themes in this game is pretty good. In Persona I actually like better the social links with more of a moral or ethical background. So the idea of sexuality and stuff is pretty interesting.

I wont blame you or bash you for actually getting interested in the characters presented in this game.
But I agree with the people saying they are forgetable, badly written and put together, and cannot make me care about them or listen to them.
To a point that even if Jill had huge stakes and made me want to serve everyone well, I would still not pay attention.

All the orders you need to follow on the drinks stay so you can make them correctly. Does it really matter to search for small tips in the customers babbling?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Why would you make a video LP of a visual novel?
Just use text and screenshots, an hour of unedited talking over text is completely tedious.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Augus posted:

Just use text and screenshots, an hour of unedited talking over text is completely tedious.

But then how would we know when to drink?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Endorph posted:

you mean like the game christine love made after two seconds of googling korean history

It may not have been well-researched, but it was well-written. As mentioned, the two are not necessarily related. That and you missed the part where the villain wasn't attempting an accurate recreation of Joseon society, but rather a warped version that fit their own personal desires. That or just skipped the sequel that explained how poo poo got hosed up in the first game. Hate Plus is definitely the better of the two, for a great number of reasons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

EclecticTastes posted:

I could go on about the awkward flow of the conversations and the poor judgment on display at attempting to address content they clearly weren't equipped to deal with, but suffice it to say that this game is badly-written, and one would be better served picking up literally anything made by Christine Love instead.
The only thing Analogue and Hate Plus do better than this game is in their introduction: they ease into their heady topics a bit more while Vall Hall A kinda lays it out. I find both approaches fitting though, since in Analogue and Hate Plus you're 'ferreting' stuff out and here you're a bartender, serving drinks while people take a load off and vent by having conversations with you.

Then again I hate Analogue/Hate Plus' format because it bores me to tears (that I need to keep my eyes from bleeding from all the text. Hooray for LP's of those games and for other things to look at here!)

Hyung-ae and Mute are bland stereotypes until you get to know them. Every character I've ever seen in a VN, Ace Attorney included, has been a bland stereotype until you get to know them. Stereotypes that have made me groan, that I've hated, that I've found annoying have been characters that I have become excited about and loved or appreciated because of the layers that lay underneath.

Sei is one of the better characters in the game but her arc is tied to the background events in it, and we've only just been introduced to the setting.

NeruVolpi posted:

I wont blame you or bash you for actually getting interested in the characters presented in this game.
But I agree with the people saying they are forgetable, badly written and put together, and cannot make me care about them or listen to them.
To a point that even if Jill had huge stakes and made me want to serve everyone well, I would still not pay attention.

All the orders you need to follow on the drinks stay so you can make them correctly. Does it really matter to search for small tips in the customers babbling?

That's fine, tastes differ. It's a game I like enough for me to delve into why I like it so much.

It does matter to pay attention to what people say, especially about their orders. There are times when your only hint is 'wait what was that one thing that they liked?' Then there's some that caused me my sole missed Flawless Service bonus :argh:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 20, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

well, tbh yeah, but jungian psychology isn't a race

There aren't any racist mouthpieces in the game. Of the two characters you can talk to, one thinks occassional sexism is just how things are and the other will let you blame the victims but not the abusers. Nobody goes "gently caress those korean sexist pigs" in either game. The second game is even more detached than the first and presents things as if you were watching a documentary.

Also, it is a video game, not a history course. It doesn't have to be accurate, just verisimilitudinous.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Augus posted:

If anyone actually wants to basically experience this game as is without commentary, I would suggest putting the video on mute, opening another tab with the game's soundtrack set to shuffle and going through it that way. The soundtrack to the game I think is really well done by the way.

There have been several comments regarding why this is a VLP rather than a SSLP, and I feel showing this to people who have mixed amounts of experience with this game to be the most interesting, and that can't really be captured as well through screenshots I feel. As we continue through, this may change.

NeruVolpi posted:

This does get a little more complicated, coupled with a slight risk/reward mechanic which you will see in episode 2 which will be up shortly.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I dunno, I like the concept this game has going for it. Can't think of many games where you're playing as bartender, hearing people's stories, getting them ridiculously drunk, and so on. I'm not sure if this is going in a good direction, though, but it's only been what, the first hour of game? I think I also like the VLP format this has going on better than a screenshot one, since it's a lot less effort for me to view the game without constantly having to scroll a page because i am lazy. also there's cues on when to drink which is a very good thing because this game is best enjoyed alongside a bottle of the hardest liquor you can find. Your commentary sort-of drowns out the soundtrack of the game though. Maybe bring the game audio up a little bit.

Seems pretty polarizing so far, and i wonder how much of that is justified. Might actually buy it myself just to understand the fuss a little better.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I quite like what I've played of this game so far. I love how it's a cyberpunk story focused on the no-name people living in it rather than the movers and shakers, and it has a lot of surprisingly real and good writing.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The game's premise is interesting enough that I hope Zenithe isn't totally right about it being crap, but I guess we'll see.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Day Two

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ok there are some things that I missed in this episode. I'm doing some sober addendums so watch the video first:

I missed the part where the pedo-bot said that Ingram never hosed her. I think I immediately just assumed because when he mentioned someone pretending to be his daughter, it was in the same breath as his threesomes and sex tourism. I guess that makes him slightly less creepy. Still creepy though.

The other thing I got wrong was pedo-bot's reason for being in the body of a 12 year old. It's not that the world is so full of pedos that she needs to be a child, it's that she's choosing to be a 12 year old so she can charge pedos higher rates. I'm honestly not sure if that reflects better or worse on the game.

Also Asterisk did have an entourage, it's just made of exactly the people you usually have an entourage protect you against.

Oh right I guess that means we all get to talk about the underaged elephant in the room now. I'm sure that won't devolve into anything nasty

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 20, 2016

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Endorph posted:

I'll admit I'm not qualified to say whether Love's interpretation of the Joseon era is accurate, but I will say that the VN does an excellent job of representing characters with very different psychological viewpoints.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

:stare:

How the poo poo did someone sit down, type all of this, and think to themselves, "Yep, that's some good writing that should be in a video game I'm going to publish on Steam." Though, to be fair, far worse writing has made it onto Steam in the past, but credit where it's due, whoever made this game seems like they're smart enough that they should know better than to produce... whatever that poo poo was.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Dorothy's the biggest indicator of the game's 'I'm just going to toss you into the deep end of these controversial themes and let you wallow about before I teach you how to swim' problem. Good news, she gets better! Bad news, it's partly acclimatization to her.

One thing that I like that the game does (that would come out a lot better if Dorothy wasn't so in your face) is the subtle contrast it displays between Dorothy and Kira Miki. Both are robots that do pretty much the same thing (make people happy) but their outlooks contrast pretty hard. Dorothy's more worldly and realistic, while Kira is more naive and idealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This game should have had a lot more Mr. Donovan, and a lot less...pretty much everything else it's had so far.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 20, 2016

• Locked thread