Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Dodge makes you dodge farther and jetpack efficiency is for when you're floating without using and bursts of speed.

This is just as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
For Lennox I take either health regen or jump height, then the lithium batteries for faster recharge on my jets and the last one I pick is the class ability recharge. Being able to dodge and heal if I'm not in combat is great and spamming the damage mitigation is super frustrating for the monster, even more so if we have a Bucket support.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It feels like efficiency also does reduce the cost of dodges, but I haven't tested it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

It feels like efficiency also does reduce the cost of dodges, but I haven't tested it.

As far as I can tell it doesn't. Jetpack dodge always uses 25% of your energy.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

pedro0930 posted:

As far as I can tell it doesn't. Jetpack dodge always uses 25% of your energy.

Good to know! I'll play around with the perks a bit, more to find what feels the best for me.

I will say that I was SUPER pissed to find out that dropping like 4K keys on upgrading a T3 perk took me from a 15% bonus (level 1) to 17% (level 2). Reaaallllllyyy wouldn't have spent 4K on it at this point if I had known how tiny the improvement would be. Is there a site somewhere that has a full breakdown of the perks, and what bonuses they are at each level?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Here are my OFFICIAL Monster Rankings thanks and god bless:
1) Spiderman: The 2>3 Combo for serious ACID TRIPS
2) Ghost Man: Speed puncher dome for swinging hooks like you're loving Star Platinum over here
3) Lightning Cthulhu: Probably would be cooler if I could see what the gently caress was happening through the effects?
4) Godzilla: Last by virtue of not being the other three

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Here are tomorrow's patch notes TODAY!
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/can-we-talk-about-the-balance-in-high-level-play/91716/18

Edit: Removed the preview, formatting was weird.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Good to see that the devs recognize that the game has a distinct shift in balance as players get better at the game. Also whining from both sides claiming the other to be OP just warms my cold, dead heart.

That said I'll always prefer a monster-favoring state, as it makes those close-call wins that much sweeter.

edit: ouch those lennox changes are gonna hurt some

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
it's actually absurd how many times I have to restart the search for a match because of people leaving.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I'm starting to think that's some kind of bug. It seems like lately I've been losing at least one person before the dropship conversation is over in almost every game.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Mister Bup posted:

I'm starting to think that's some kind of bug. It seems like lately I've been losing at least one person before the dropship conversation is over in almost every game.

I think it's more likely to be people who didn't get the role they wanted going: "gently caress it, I can't be bothered playing Monster", and quitting out. It'll continue until there's a stiff leave penalty.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
To be fair, playing Monster is basically a totally different game than playing a Hunter and I have a hard time blaming people for not wanting to get that forced onto it. It's not the same thing as having to play Trapper for a round instead of Assault.

I have Monster as my last pick and will usually dodge Monster games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't imagine playing this game and not wanting to be the giant monster with cool mutant powers.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I just started playing. Hunters is basically a team-based FPS and pretty familiar to anyone who's played shooters before. Monster is a totally different game and not something I just want to get thrown at me in live MP.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Huh. These aren't the characters we picked...

...Uh, UUUHHHHHHH

...AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
They just need to do a better job of refilling the vacant slot. In most cases just one player dodge when they didn't get what they want. Get someone with highest prefer from the queue to fill it and everyone's happy. There's like a whole minute of pre-game time for this to happen.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Gunder posted:

Here are tomorrow's patch notes TODAY!
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/can-we-talk-about-the-balance-in-high-level-play/91716/18

Edit: Removed the preview, formatting was weird.

The changes are odd.

With regards to planet scanner, the problem doesn't seem like it's ever been that players are moving a tiny bit too fast with it activated, but that the drastic effect it has on locating and following the monster is up way too often.

Planet scanner seems like a really good thing to have in the game because it avoids the problem of not seeing the monster until stage 3, but I can't understand why they let hunters use it so often.

Maybe it should have a variable cooldown, where it has a lower cooldown if you're super far away from the monster(with a much higher base cooldown than it currently has), because as it makes sneaking completely obsolete.

And nerfing harpoons(making them breakable from a wider angle) seems pretty nonsensical as well, when you're harpooned it's well communicated where it's coming from. If anything, harpoons feel weak, rather than strong enough to warrant a nerf.

Overall these changes look like trivial stat tinkering meant to adjust win rates rather than changes meant to deal with particular gameplay issues.

Internet Kraken posted:

I can't imagine playing this game and not wanting to be the giant monster with cool mutant powers.

Monster is hella fun but the balance is a little off because of making the monster easier to trap and track, even players who are brand new to the game seem to be getting super frustrated with being stuck with monster because if you're up against a team that is semi-competent you will probably get poo poo on.

It doesn't feel like you have a decent chance anymore.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Internet Kraken posted:

Same, but mostly because pugs suck.

Are there enough Eurogoons playing this? I think I've only won as a hunter by letting the timer run out.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Harpoons are in a good place right now, they may be only a momentary diversion for any decent monster but that's what they're for, interrupting traversals and skills sometimes is really good. People should stop expecting the world from them. So what if they get broken in half a second most of them time? That can still be a lifesaver.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
I wonder if the Campaign mode will make a comeback. That was kind of fun. Especially when you won a certain map as monster and had a AI Goliath going around loving things up for the next one. :unsmigghh:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I looove the feeling of getting a good harpoon lock but I'm probably not using them in the best way. Anyone got any tips? Right now I'm just trying to land them as often as possible - is it better to try and hold them until the monster starts a traversal or a charge, to cancel their stamina/cooldowns? Or is it fine to just try and waste as much of their time as possible?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Why do people keep saying sneaking is dead? Do people not realize that as a monster you get a notification of when they use planetary scan, as well as positional audio that is louder the closer it gets when it is activated?

Sneaking is 100% not dead, you just have to time your sneaks to the scans. Follow these easy steps to juke hunters with sneak.

-Hear planetary scan notice
-Continue moving in same direction for ~5 seconds
-Begin sneaking
-Turn around
-Sneak that way for about 10 seconds.
-Jump away like a mother fucker

Congratulations most hunters will now be honing in on a location you don't exist at anymore. You are now all the way on the other side of the map with lots of tasty animals.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

This game is loving awesome, playing coop as hunters is great and playing monster solo is tense and very satisfying when you win

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

This post has all the info on perks: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=721252371

I don't understand why it's so hard to find this info ingame.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

So what should I be doing as a Support or Medic to keep people alive. I just realized that shield/heal bursts have a range, but people seem to die much more quickly than they should, even if I don't have to run for a minute to catch up to the dome.

I've got the heal/fire grenade medic and have been using the current free(?) support, if those have something specific to keep in mind.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Tagichatn posted:

This post has all the info on perks: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=721252371

I don't understand why it's so hard to find this info ingame.

Thank you for this adding it to the OP.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

aegof posted:

So what should I be doing as a Support or Medic to keep people alive. I just realized that shield/heal bursts have a range, but people seem to die much more quickly than they should, even if I don't have to run for a minute to catch up to the dome.

I've got the heal/fire grenade medic and have been using the current free(?) support, if those have something specific to keep in mind.

As long as you keep healing/shielding your teammate that's under attack that's really all you can do. Your teammate needs to be able to dodge some attacks themselves, otherwise the healing/shielding is not going to catch up with the monster's damage.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Knifegrab posted:

Why do people keep saying sneaking is dead? Do people not realize that as a monster you get a notification of when they use planetary scan, as well as positional audio that is louder the closer it gets when it is activated?

Sneaking is 100% not dead, you just have to time your sneaks to the scans. Follow these easy steps to juke hunters with sneak.

-Hear planetary scan notice
-Continue moving in same direction for ~5 seconds
-Begin sneaking
-Turn around
-Sneak that way for about 10 seconds.
-Jump away like a mother fucker

Congratulations most hunters will now be honing in on a location you don't exist at anymore. You are now all the way on the other side of the map with lots of tasty animals.

One annoying thing is that the game will just straight up tell the hunters when the monster is in dome range. I pulled a sweet misdirect and had all the hunters running right past me while I crouched behind a nearby pillar. Then they got the message I was in range, dropped the dome, and then it only took 10 seconds to find me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Dr_Amazing posted:

One annoying thing is that the game will just straight up tell the hunters when the monster is in dome range. I pulled a sweet misdirect and had all the hunters running right past me while I crouched behind a nearby pillar. Then they got the message I was in range, dropped the dome, and then it only took 10 seconds to find me.

Yeah I'm still trying to understand exactly how this mechanic works.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah I'm still trying to understand exactly how this mechanic works.

LOS or extreme prox I think.

Also you might want to point out there's people that hang on the CTS mumble that might not wanna download discord if you don't mind adding that to the op.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 20, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm 99% sure you need to have seen the monster to get the dome popup, I've had monsters be right on the other side of a wall without it showing up.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, the 'Monster is near' Dome Pop-up makes ambushes much harder, because it doesn't care about if they've got the crosshair on you, or whether they've seen you, just whether you're in their LOS at all. Which makes things like hiding half way up a wall as the Gorgon sadly pointless. :smith:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I feel like it takes a bit of the skill out of it. It sucked when you had a bad trapper before, but a big flashing "Press F now!!" button is going to far the other way.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hmmm those are good points, I have had hunters literally run right next to me and not dome me but maybe dome was still on cooldown.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is there a way to see what your teammates are picking before you lock in your hunter?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
It's not ideal but you can back out once you get to the final waiting screen where it shows you everyone's picks. I'm not sure if you have time to do it if you're the last to pick.

EDIT: Anyone have any tips for Gorgon? I picked it up recently and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I'm supposed to do hit and run tactics similar to Wraith, with the spiders taking the place of Decoy/Abduction as far as splitting the hunters' attention / getting them out of position, but I've been having more trouble getting a single knockdown at stage 2-3 than I've had killing entire teams as a stage 1 Wraith.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 21, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

It will also list their specific hunter under their name at the bottom of the screen as soon as they choose a hunter (as early as they are on the perk selection screens).

So you don't have to wait till you are all the way at the final waiting screen.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I haven't played since Beta but I'm having a blast with Evolve. But I wish it was possible to view what each character does in the game without having to buy and pick the hero in a match. I have enough keys to buy a new hero and I can't decide who to start unlocking first. Probably a support/medic as they're most likely to get a lot of use.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

HMS Boromir posted:

It's not ideal but you can back out once you get to the final waiting screen where it shows you everyone's picks. I'm not sure if you have time to do it if you're the last to pick.

EDIT: Anyone have any tips for Gorgon? I picked it up recently and I'm not having much luck. It seems like I'm supposed to do hit and run tactics similar to Wraith, with the spiders taking the place of Decoy/Abduction as far as splitting the hunters' attention / getting them out of position, but I've been having more trouble getting a single knockdown at stage 2-3 than I've had killing entire teams as a stage 1 Wraith.

Gorgon might be the strongest monster at the moment and I've wiped several hunter teams on the very first Stage 1 dome. Here are some hot Gorgon tips:

Ignore Mimic entirely, it's a really awkward skill that doesn't mesh with the playstyle of the game in general. I go 2/1/1/0 at Stage 1, with the 2 either in Web or Acid Spit for taste, although I think the bonus point is more valuable in Web because of the massive radius bonus letting you catch loads of guys at once. After that I max out Acid Spit because it's ridiculously good.

Seriously Acid Spit does insane damage even before its third rank, if you catch someone with it for the full duration. You can use it to winnow the whole enemy team or to focus someone down directly, you can use it to deny the area around a downed hunter or to capitalise on someone who has been spider trapped.

Spider Traps are secretly your best weapon and can turn a fight. Use them when the hunters are hot on your trail, at the top of cliffs or around corners, to slow them down. Use them when you think they'll pass through an area, or to set up ambushes. Gorgon loves ambushing hunters that are out of position. I haven't had much success with Spidermanning up on walls and pouncing on people, but you can sure wait in a favourable position like a cave with a spider trap ready for when the hunters pass through. Once someone is spidered you just go on them and wipe them out with your skills and your attacks, because the spider does a lot of damage and they're helpless for the duration.

My fight rotation is basically to hit a guy or two with Web and then spit acid all over them and hit them until they're down. Once they're down, you drop a spider on them and repeat for someone else. If anyone tries reviving the downed guy they get captured by a spider and then you chase that person instead, spitting acid all over the spider and hitting them until they're down. In my experience hunters don't learn how to deal with spider traps at all even after they've been caught by them a couple times trying to revive their friends.

You can use the web to knock people out of position if they're being annoying with healing or shields. You're very mobile and can use webs and spider traps to slow down the hunters enough to duck out of sight and recover some armour, or drop those at the end of a dome and keep them busy while you Spiderman away. Gorgon owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'll just have to keep cracking at it I suppose. So far I can't get the spider+acid combo to happen very often and it's the only way I've managed to do anything other than piddly damage to hunters.

• Locked thread