Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RitzBlues
May 30, 2014
Wow, this thread was a long read over the past few days!

So prior to this year's FJF, I had never played FFV beyond the wind temple. I am highly susceptible to analysis paralysis when it comes to customization in Final Fantasy games (jobs, espers, materia, etc) or Western RPGs. Not having to make any decisions on what jobs to pick or ignore is very liberating!

Since I was going to be playing through the game blind, I decided that #reg would be a nice way to ease into things. I'm on the SNES version, and Gilgabot gave me Knight/Berserker/Geomancer/????. So far, only Liquid Flame was troublesome, but after knocking out my only Berserker and waiting for her to run OOM, she was finally extinguished.

At this point, I've just gotten the airship, and need to track down the Earth Crystal.

I'm really glad I saw and read through all of the thread. I would have named Bartz DocTot, had I known about the incentive... maybe next run.

I'm also streaming the whole thing, so I only can squeeze in a couple of hours here and there on a given day. Future runs will be more portable, I'm sure.

Thanks again for the informative and entertaining read!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Re: Four Esper Fiesta: beating FF6 without equipping espers is still extremely trivial so you'd have to do something else.

I've taken down NED and Shin with my current group of Black / Red / White / Ranger but I'm not sure if I can take Omega without more leveling. My current strategy at around level 35 was to have the mages with Reflect Rings and the Ranger with Diamond Garb and a Flame Ring. Dualcasted rod-boosted Thundaga on my party would deal about 12k per round from the Black Mage, but getting my group back up to health after Surge Beam takes too much time. As it stands the Ranger doesn't survive my own dual Thundaga so will this become viable with a few more levels? Or should I try three flame rings and a single reflect ring user so I can mostly heal with Curaga?

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 22, 2016

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Poque posted:

Re: Four Esper Fiesta: beating FF6 without equipping espers is still extremely trivial so you'd have to do something else.

I've taken down NED and Shin with my current group of Black / Red / White / Ranger but I'm not sure if I can take Omega without more leveling. My current strategy at around level 35 was to have the mages with Reflect Rings and the Ranger with Diamond Garb and a Flame Ring. Dualcasted rod-boosted Thundaga on my party would deal about 12k per round from the Black Mage, but getting my group back up to health after Surge Beam takes too much time. As it stands the Ranger doesn't survive my own dual Thundaga so will this become viable with a few more levels? Or should I try three flame rings and a single reflect ring user so I can mostly heal with Curaga?

I had a similar strategy and went with 3 Reflect Rings and a Hermes Sandals. You want the person getting hit with Thundaga to be able to drink an Elixir before Omega's next action. I actually had to use Thundara a couple times when Thundaga damage would be too much. Slower, sure, but safe enough. I had a Knight eating it though so I had more HP and a Flame Shield which was nice. Does magic damage reduction from Diamond gear stack with Shell? If so, you could probably Dualcast away.

Another strategy would be to use 4 Hermes Sandals and let characters with !White put up three Reflects. It wears off more quickly than I'd like but keeping up with Omega's speed is a bitch.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
https://twitter.com/CountOfLoon/status/754144416999374848

After just two weeks, QuickFest Progress is over the halfway mark.

Things are looking good for bad ideas.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Poque posted:

As Bregor stated, 3 reflect / 1 hermes would be my suggestion. That's another 50% damage. I only had one person actually attacking with !Black, and even then tossing an elixir was more important except for the final cast. With White, there might be some better combination of people wearing Hermes and self-reflecting (actually with doublecast wearing more Hermes and putting up doublecast Reflects is probably best)..

I wouldn't use Flame Rings at all. You have multiple reflected people to protect against Atomic Ray and Flamethrower only kills one person anyway. Haste lets you keep up so much better. Just make sure to go in with float.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there any way to get Mighty Guard without !control, stingray just doesn't seem to be using it when confused.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

DalaranJ posted:

Is there any way to get Mighty Guard without !control, stingray just doesn't seem to be using it when confused.

Keep trying, he'll do it.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I never got a second aegis or bonemail, but I did get this:

I think I'm fiesta'd out after that.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

What's the best way to triple crown for a team of Dragoon/Ninja/Ranger/Bard?

From what I can tell Shinryu can be done pretty easily with a hidden bard and three zombies, and Omega with 2-3 using romeo's ballad and the dragoon dual-wielding tridents and jumping.

Am I missing any better ideas?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
ffv is a really good game on a lot of levels that don't involve writing / plot

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What, you don't enjoy the story about an evil tree trying to take over the world?

Funktastic posted:

Am I missing any better ideas?

!Rapid Fire will be faster against Omega. For Shinryu, you could theoretically steal some Dragon Lances and fight him normally, but that's kind of tedious.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
You don't have to jump either; being stopped reduces Omega's evasion to zero. Rapidfire will still be faster, though.

...to be honest, I'm not sure which method to take out Shinryu is more tedious.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Both are annoying, but the Zombie strategy only requires you to set the whole thing up, after which you can go and watch a film or something. Stealing Dragon Lances with the Thief's Knife requires you to actually go through the motions.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

On the whole I really enjoyed FFV but goddamn some bosses are loving ridiculous and just unfun.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You had to fight Byblos without elemental damage, didn't you?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Samuel Clemens posted:

Nah I lucked out and had a pretty easy set apparently. It's just that Atomos, the Crystals, that earth crystal boss and basically any boss that has a rolling weakness w/o visual indicators were all annoyingly difficult due to various reasons. Overall I think the game's great and to be honest I probably was underleveled for 90% of the game. I really enjoyed it and the fest especially and I'm considering doing another run without mages since that's what I mainly used this time.

Edit: I had summoner, white mage, dragoon and beastmaster. Byblos was easy because of Ifrit.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cowman posted:

Nah I lucked out and had a pretty easy set apparently. It's just that Atomos, the Crystals, that earth crystal boss and basically any boss that has a rolling weakness w/o visual indicators were all annoyingly difficult due to various reasons. Overall I think the game's great and to be honest I probably was underleveled for 90% of the game. I really enjoyed it and the fest especially and I'm considering doing another run without mages since that's what I mainly used this time.

Edit: I had summoner, white mage, dragoon and beastmaster. Byblos was easy because of Ifrit.

Atomos is chumped by Titan. That team would have problems with the other three, admittedly.

Melusine starts out weak to Fire, and jumping with the Chicken Knife will do more than any Ifrit would.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Well, really, just being without fire damage is enough; he actually absorbs the other 7 elements. I learned this when I tried fighting him with a Trident-equipped Dragoon in my brief foray into solo class challenges.

Mind you, the distinction is only academic; at this point pretty much every class with access to elemental damage of some sort can always have Fire among those classes, thanks to Fire Rods being a thing. And even if you must go without rod-breaking, the only element-using class that would have no Fire otherwise would be Blue Mage, and Byblos isn't heavy, so lolDeathClaw and done.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bufuman posted:

Well, really, just being without fire damage is enough; he actually absorbs the other 7 elements. I learned this when I tried fighting him with a Trident-equipped Dragoon in my brief foray into solo class challenges.

Mind you, the distinction is only academic; at this point pretty much every class with access to elemental damage of some sort can always have Fire among those classes, thanks to Fire Rods being a thing. And even if you must go without rod-breaking, the only element-using class that would have no Fire otherwise would be Blue Mage, and Byblos isn't heavy, so lolDeathClaw and done.

Even without Death Claw, both Aqua Breath and Vampire are non-elemental.

Blue Mage don't really give a gently caress about yo resistances.

Hell, even Geomancer has fire for that fight, which is kind of sad. You know you're a fuckup of a boss when a sleepy bell-ringer has your number. Byblos really is a "do you know what magic is? good!" test.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"No, if we seal him again he will eventually come back. He must be DESTROYED this time!"

Holy poo poo turtles do not kid around :allears:

Also: wiped to the crystals (Aquarake :argh:). I'll probably need to swap some jobs/abilities around for round two, since right now I've only got one character that can Reflect my party.

Right now: Lenna as summoner, Bartz as mystic knight, Galuf as monk, Faris as white mage; Faris has !summon and can summon everything I've got so far, so no problem there, but the others all have low-level !white, the most they can do is Cure 2.

How's this sound: Faris as Mystic Knight with !white, Bartz as Summoner with !white, and Lenna as White Mage with !summon. This way I'll have two people who can Reflect, and two who can drop summons. In case I need it Bartz can do double duty as a rod snapper.

Galuf... Can keep on doing what he's doing right now I guess. God Monk is terrible.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thinking about it, can I just Mute Sword the Aquarake and Earthshaker crystals? Or are they straight-up immune to being Silenced?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Regardless, Aqua Rake is Blue Magic, which Silence doesn't affect.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Mikl posted:

How's this sound: Faris as Mystic Knight with !white, Bartz as Summoner with !white, and Lenna as White Mage with !summon. This way I'll have two people who can Reflect, and two who can drop summons. In case I need it Bartz can do double duty as a rod snapper.

Between Shell and Curaga, you don't really need Reflect. Just throw up Golem and destroy the crystals one at a time. Mystic Knight works best with Drain Spellblade.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you've got the ability to summon, just give !Summon to everyone but your summoner (who should instead get !White). That way, everyone has the ability to summon, and two people also have the ability to use white magic.

Give Gaia Gear to anyone who can equip it, of course. The first thing you'll want to cast before entering battle is Golem, just to block the physical attacks. After that, have people summon Titan until three of the crystals are just over 3K HP. And after waiting for your party to be refreshed, you can just rush them down the rest of the way with up to four more casts of Titan. At this point you'll just have the earth crystal. Despite the fact that it will cast Earth Shaker when you get it riled up, its damage with such an attack is actually pretty weak. (120 Magic Attack * 4 Multiplier.) You should be able to heal through it with no real issue by casting Shell on your party beforehand, then healing through the damage with full-party Curas while everyone else beats/casts it to death.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

KataraniSword posted:

Atomos is chumped by Titan. That team would have problems with the other three, admittedly.

Melusine starts out weak to Fire, and jumping with the Chicken Knife will do more than any Ifrit would.

I had no idea about that stuff. The main problem I had was that there was no visual indicator and I just couldn't find a good pattern for the variable weakness bosses, of which there seemed to be a decent amount. The sprite wouldn't change and it just got frustrating to the point where I pretty much gave up on trying to guess it and brute forced it with physical/chocobo.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Both are annoying, but the Zombie strategy only requires you to set the whole thing up, after which you can go and watch a film or something. Stealing Dragon Lances with the Thief's Knife requires you to actually go through the motions.

Yeah, but at least you can easily get a proper screenshot with a Dragon Lance kill.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Huzzah! posted:

Keep trying, he'll do it.

He didn't do it for 30 minutes and then he did it five times in a row. Thanks RNG.

hubris.height posted:

ffv is a really good game on a lot of levels that don't involve writing / plot

It's time for your viscera to see the daylight.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
lol if "It's time we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!" isn't your favourite line in anything ever

EDIT: I accept "I lied! Like a rug! Oh, kill me..."

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Simply Simon posted:

lol if "It's time we fight like men! And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!" isn't your favourite line in anything ever

EDIT: I accept "I lied! Like a rug! Oh, kill me..."

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
For anyone who thinks "ok it is known that Gilgamesh is the best, but the REST of the game...", do keep in mind "That overgrown lobster just got served!" - "With gravy and mashed potatoes!" also exists. (I might have gotten the side dishes wrong)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

"Yes, the twelve legendary weapons. They are weapons. They are legendary. There are even twelve of them."

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

^That one is amazing.

A couple of my favorites.

In response to "this isn't a very sophisticated plan" or something similar:

And of course

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Everything about FF5 is wonderful.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
No love for "You think I sat around seven centuries munching on pizza?" "You should have taken the chance! You'll find no such tasty diversions in the afterlife!"?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
the laws of physics are broken

the splinter thing was the first thing i thought of when i thought of bad writing. it has its charm though

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I have to remember to take a screenshot of Gilgamesh's birthday candle line on my next playthrough.

hubris.height posted:

the splinter thing was the first thing i thought of when i thought of bad writing. it has its charm though

I mean, you're not wrong, the writing in Square's games never really rises above the level of a Saturday morning cartoon. What makes the English translation of FFV Advance so endearing is that it fully embraces its own ridiculousness. It's like the Black Dynamite of JRPGs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hubris.height posted:

the laws of physics are broken

Well, you know. Krile just rode a chocobo halfway across the world with an entire tree branch sticking out of her finger. As you do.

A "tiny" "splinter".

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Basically FFVA is a Saturday morning cartoon and it's great and I'll brook no arguments to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Samuel Clemens posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, the writing in Square's games never really rises above the level of a Saturday morning cartoon. What makes the English translation of FFV Advance so endearing is that it fully embraces its own ridiculousness. It's like the Black Dynamite of JRPGs.

yeah i never said it was bad. i love the hell out of it but its not well written

sorry for the false alarm

Kyrosiris posted:

Basically FFVA is a Saturday morning cartoon and it's great and I'll brook no arguments to the contrary.

• Locked thread