Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Some technicalities about the powerband and rpm:
In short, There is a a metric shitload of engine dynamics determining those two, but here are some simple definitions:
Powerband is the range of RPM where the engine is operating at full or close to full output, this usually mean within +/- 2k or 1.5k rpm of peak power for racing and sport engines. Any more and the valves supplying air to the engine can't provide enough air, any less and the engine isnt turning over fast enough to provide the power. Remember an engine is a glorified air pump.
RPM is dependent on so many things, but ultimately dependent on the amount of intake air or rather how fast the engine can get that air into the engine, and as such all race and sport engines of all kinds are modified or designed to pull in as much air as possible, either by forced induction by turbo or supercharger, or via massive intakes and valves and a sky high RPM, both approaches heighten the maximal power output but the general range isn't much changed except in the case of a very big turbo, where the forced induction aspect does not initiate until a (relatively) high rpm, after which it will skyrocket, i.e turbo lag. There isnt much use in a sky high rpm if your fuel isnt able to fully combust at that rpm.

(seems like the game doesnt simulate tire heat, just a static amount of 'tire traction'. Which I can forgive easily, since Tires are the most hard part to simulate and calculate. Reminder that the answer of the lead engineer of the porsche 918 spyder, when asked why their car scored the best times around a track, was "Tires".)

((p.s: There are multiple ways to overcome turbo lag, most notable of which is anti-lag which essentially turns your turbo into a turbine engine by combusting a purposefully fuel rich mix coming out of the exhaust in the hot turbo turbine chamber to create an ad hoc turbine, keeping your turbo spinning at incredibly high speeds at the cost of severely reducing it's lifespan. It's like a Jetplane afterburner.))

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's lots of things I could be touching on in this 6-minute video, but not a lot of it would help you drive better. Feel free to come in with any more info on the inner workings of cars later on, though. :)

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
I am thinking of getting WRC+ for the rest of the season... does anyone else here have that subscription? Is it worth it?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Keeper Garrett posted:

I am thinking of getting WRC+ for the rest of the season... does anyone else here have that subscription? Is it worth it?

If you like watching a French robot win yet another championship, then go ahead.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Dirt Rally thread in Games is giving more recommends to the ERC, because the participants are generally less experienced, so you're likely to see people rising to the top due to some mistake or other.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Triple A posted:

If you like watching a French robot win yet another championship, then go ahead.

I understand. Ten plus year of Sebastian Victories.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
I'm torn between getting Dirt Rally or the newest Ratchet & Clank. On the one hand, I enjoyed Dirt 3 (but in the same way I enjoy Need for Speed, go fast and drift everywhere), and on the other hand, Ratchet & Clank. I need an outside opinion. Is this a game where I can go fast and drift everywhere, despite best practices saying don't do that?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

This is a game in which best practises ARE drift everywhere, but you better drift right.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

RandomNinja posted:

I'm torn between getting Dirt Rally or the newest Ratchet & Clank. On the one hand, I enjoyed Dirt 3 (but in the same way I enjoy Need for Speed, go fast and drift everywhere), and on the other hand, Ratchet & Clank. I need an outside opinion. Is this a game where I can go fast and drift everywhere, despite best practices saying don't do that?

The "go fast" part requires a lot more precision and practice. The roads are tighter than Dirt 3 and the handling is more realistic, so taking a Need For Speed approach to Dirt Rally will run you into the same brick wall of frustration as taking a Devil May Cry approach to Dark Souls. You'll spend a lot of time going slow before you're able to go fast without flying off the road. Just make sure you're cool with that before you buy.

I haven't played a Ratchet & Clank game since Up Your Aresnal, but that was one of the finest games ever made so you probably can't go wrong with the new one.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Great Joe posted:

The Dirt Rally thread in Games is giving more recommends to the ERC, because the participants are generally less experienced, so you're likely to see people rising to the top due to some mistake or other.

I quote from the Misc Auto Racing thread....

Jehde posted:

Rally summary: WRC is boring, watch ERC instead.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's only 11 hours left of the current league event, so be sure to get your entries in soon!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Part 4: The '80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orCS15L3jY8

The clutch pedal and clutch override become more important as we go up the brackets. There's a whole list of cases for learning how to use the clutch, like pulling yourself out of a ditch after you've crashed to a dead stop, getting yourself up to the powerband if you've had to go low in first gear through a turn, deploying the clutch while in a jump so your driven wheels' speed is only affected by the ground when you land, etc. etc.

It might be easy to forget that it's there if you're not used to it, but the clutch pedal is a powerful tool if you know how to use it.

(Apologies for the icon in the bottom-right, I only noticed it after recording, and I don't think I can beat the time I set)

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I meant to ask before but it slipped my mind. Would you be willing to leave in your post-stage replays, or include them in separate videos?

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Let my horrific times be a lesson to anyone thinking a 360 controller is good enough to handle a Cosworth!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The Casualty posted:

I meant to ask before but it slipped my mind. Would you be willing to leave in your post-stage replays, or include them in separate videos?
Didn't even cross my mind! Tell you what, I'll do that next update, kay? :)

Oh, and Keeper, if you have any doubts about controllers in this game, I can probably beat Triple Alfa's time with a controller for you. ;)

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Keeper Garrett posted:

Let my horrific times be a lesson to anyone thinking a 360 controller is good enough to handle a Cosworth!

It's not a matter of what you use to control it, it's more about being able to do throttle control really well. Also, it has a classic laggy turbo so it becomes even more important.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

I have a lot to learn!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, I'll admit I did the last update really late in the night (writing and recording commentary at 2 AM jfc) so I didn't really explain it properly, but part of turbo lag is that your throttle input actually lags. As in: whatever force you put on the gas pedal isn't reflected until some hundreds of milliseconds later.

Also, also, I make a point of enabling the "restart event" option in this league. I rarely get a stage right the first time, or even the first 5 times unless it's in a really easy car, so I want you to feel free to retry until you get a stage as close to right as you can. I'll try not to restart myself. ;)

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013
I just finished performing all the stages for this week and I found stage 3 of all things very difficult. I don't know, perhaps it was the loose gravel between the early 4 turn followed by a 2 turn, the deceptive braking necessary for the 2 turn before the first checkpoint, or something else but I struggled with that stage. It did take me a while to get used to the turbo lag but it was neat to feel the greater control for the newer cars. I did find the 5 Turbo had a bit more understeer than I was used to from a RWD cars and at first I thought it was me but I looked around and I seems to be a known characteristic.

Also I was wondering if anyone got correct split times? I only saw my time and never saw my difference with the fastest time on the stage. I noticed the last time I ran the league, two weeks ago, I got the standard time with how I compared with the fastest time. It kinda made me wonder what was going on this week.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I've no idea what's up with the split times, but I'm guessing there's something up server-side what with the console release happening, and the growing pains that come with that.

I'm putting this LP on hold, since I need to put more and more time into my end-of-semester project, and I don't think I can focus on doing this until I finish the project. Sorry.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Don't mind me, just keeping this thread out of the archives. Current plan is to start up again come June. Expect an update on the 5th or 6th, the subject of the day will be what's apparently the shittiest Group B car and Group B in general.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 12, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Part 5: Tuning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jeDKmPnszE

So hey, sorry about the wait. This newest episode is a bit weird, since I'm still learning how to use this new toy I got called Sony Vegas. I'm also getting a new microphone soon, so look forward to that.

Anyway, the MG Metro 6R4 is a bit of an underdog in Group B. It's less powerful than the other cars and heavier than most. It's supposed to make up for the lack of power with its relatively nice handling, but the Delta has it beat there. It's supposed to be a jack of all trades, though I guess the Ford RS200 does that better. Its only saving grace is that it's cheap in its class, and welcomes beginners. Definitely get it first, if you can't afford the Lancia Delta, and then move on to the Peugeot if you want something more.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Thanks for keeping the series alive, great videos.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Wow, thanks for accomodating me (and the shout out)! But if I may make another suggestion, I certainly appreciate you including the cinematic mode replay, but I feel like looping the same run several times from mildly different in-car POVs is a bit redundant.

Thanks again, for posting these videos :)

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

By the way, new video means new season of the league is up. I put up some sloppy times you can try to beat. Don't forget that after every stage you can restart if you're unhappy with the time you set. How sloppy are the times I set, you ask?

pictured: sloppy

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013
It is pretty great to see this series is back up and running.

Great Joe posted:

By the way, new video means new season of the league is up. I put up some sloppy times you can try to beat. Don't forget that after every stage you can restart if you're unhappy with the time you set. How sloppy are the times I set, you ask?

pictured: sloppy

I do have to say that is a great way to end a run.
I made the mistake of getting the Peugeot for my first group B car. It was an experience to try and control that rocket for the first time.
Also, Dirt Rally is currently 40% off on steam and I encourage people to give this a shot.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, Dirt Rally's on sale. I'd also recommend Grid 2 - stay away from the first one, it's bland as gently caress - also Toybox Turbos is good, and I hear FUEL is decent if you just want to wander around aimlessly around a gigantic map. [link]

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

For $3 I'd say Grid 1 is worth it. Bland as gently caress is a bit of a harsh categorisation. There's a good variety of events and vehicles and the progression allows you to skip event types you're not interested in.

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013
It really sucked that RaceNet was down this weekend. I was unfortunately unable to register a time for the league this time around, Oh well. Looking at the leader board it looks like only Joe got a run in at the moment.
However, On a happier note thanks Joe for getting me into this game! I have now put over 30 hours into it and I have come to really like the game. Now I just need to get around to making it past group B cars..

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Try the new 1960s Renault if you haven't. It's the fastest 60s car, and a blast to drive. Not quite Lancia Stratos fun, but much less temperamental. Makes a nice "baby's first sketchy car."

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Shine posted:

Try the new 1960s Renault if you haven't. It's the fastest 60s car, and a blast to drive. Not quite Lancia Stratos fun, but much less temperamental. Makes a nice "baby's first sketchy car."

A real babby's first sketchy car should be something that's cheap, easy to repair and common like VW Beetle. Those things used to be very popular rally cars.

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013

Shine posted:

I actually have tried that car. It was my first RWD car and the second I bought after the mini. I remember having a lot of trouble controlling it. Now after driving the Renault Turbo a bunch and the Lancia Stratos a little bit I went back to it and had much less of a problem with it. So, I guess I am improving. I really like how even after you unlock the more modern cars in the game it doesn't make the previous ones any less fun to drive around with.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Kainblueriver posted:

I actually have tried that car. It was my first RWD car and the second I bought after the mini. I remember having a lot of trouble controlling it. Now after driving the Renault Turbo a bunch and the Lancia Stratos a little bit I went back to it and had much less of a problem with it. So, I guess I am improving. I really like how even after you unlock the more modern cars in the game it doesn't make the previous ones any less fun to drive around with.

Absolutely. My favorite car is still the old Lancia Stratos. Just a blast to keep that thing going in a relatively straight direction. Then I drive a 2010s Impreza and it's like, "wow, this is the safest car in the world."

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Part 6: Hillclimbing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihY3ehCZp5w

Happy belated 100th birthday to the Pikes Peak International Hillclimb! If there's anything I'd like to see more of it's races up America's winding mountain roads. Or even some of the other car classes.

Running such a long stage without a co-driver is a bit unnerving, and again a lot of the turns can come up looking very similar despite being very different. The campaign entry at least does a nice job of having you go through shorter parts of it and I suggest you start out that way. If you're doing just quick races I suggest you start out on gravel for the Hillclimb cars, switching to tarmac when you get used to them. Also, the Audi is definitely the best car to start with, though you'll probably get the best times in the Peugeot 205.

So, I have a few questions for you guys: I'm honestly running out of things to teach newcomers and I have two ways I'd like to deal with that, but I want to know what you guys think.
  • Do you have anything you'd want me to research and talk about in a future video? Feel free to suggest any topic.
  • Do you think it'd be alright if I started bringing on guests? if so, would you prefer it be experts with advice to share or newbies with new questions?

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 10, 2016

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Just in case you want to see how I take most hairpins in the Audi, here's how I'd be taking all of them, if I could. Keep in mind there's a bit of handbrake on the way in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7428VjS7g

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 16, 2016

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Great Joe posted:

So, I have a few questions for you guys: I'm honestly running out of things to teach newcomers and I have two ways I'd like to deal with that, but I want to know what you guys think.
  • Do you have anything you'd want me to research and talk about in a future video? Feel free to suggest any topic.
  • Do you think it'd be alright if I started bringing on guests? if so, would you prefer it be experts with advice to share or newbies with new questions?

I think guests would be a good idea in general. A mix of both would be welcome, newbies for the immediate "I suck and this is what I do" questions, and better players with more experience.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Having ridden in a friend's Audi Quattro when he was still an amateur rally driver, I can confirm what many may be thinking, that the Quattro does, in fact, have many angry bees hidden under the hood. It's a noisy aul' beast, but I have a soft spot for it precisely because of how it handles.

As far as the questions go, perhaps little bits on the various rally scenes around the world? Also, co-commentators to ask things or talk about their favourite vehicles would be nice, although I will say this is a relaxing as hell and informative LP so far for a game that can be quite stressful. :)

Kainblueriver
Aug 10, 2013

Great Joe posted:

I think some co-commentators would be nice. In particular some more advice from more experienced players and some questions form some newer players would be an excellent mix. I know I most likely missing a few things when I am practicing due to subtly. Perhaps even commenting on some less than good runs of a track to show how things could be improved, where mistakes were made, etc. For instance I am still getting down my braking spots and I haven't quite gotten them yet, which will allow me to be more aggressive on straightaways.

On the subject of this past league round I found hillclimb to be like group B on steroids in some ways. The starts of sections 2 and 3 were a little disappointing where you got up to speed and then immediately had to break due to a hairpin like 100 m or less from the start. I also found out that the speed limit signs were oddly robust. I had one stop me from ~100 mph without breaking, pretty impressive! I also love how much over the speed limit you go on the hillclimb, "Officer I was only going 115 mph in a 15 mph zone I swear."

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Part 7: Group A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LIiaXsYjyI

And now for something a bit different, with special guest star Bobbin Threadbare. To be honest, this video was surprisingly short and I hadn't done co-commentary in a while when we did this, so expect improvements next time.

Group A is interesting for a number of reasons, what with starting out as the awkward middle child when Group B was the star of the FIA rally circuits and then coming into its own once people started dying. It's also the first time you get to purchase a Subaru in this game, so that's something. The cars overall are slower than Group Bs, more predictable. In a way it's a nice breather after all the insanity of Group B. There's still not exactly a Group N category in Dirt Rally, though its successor Group R4 is there in its place.

I'm not sure how to feel about the Monaco rally stages. The lower parts are incredibly narrow with a tiny margin for error, and you're on tarmac. The upper parts actually have wider roads but it gets even easier to fall off. I do love drifting through hairpins in quick succession, I feel incredibly stylish doing so, so that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bobbin, the manufacturers involved in Group B weren't (and still aren't) terribly concerned with the US market, since the US manufacturers have a good hold on that, so fuel economy already was a thing ("our" engines tend to be less... extravagant), and even the American offering in Grp. B (namely, the Ford RS200) was done by the European (UK, specifically) division of Ford.

And as to the "500 horsepower" thing, Petrolicious did a short video on a Lancia Delta S4 a couple of weeks ago, and the owner got 1000bhp from it in testing, with the 'normal' power of it being 550. The engine is 1.7 liters, for reference/comparison. And the "HF" tends to be pronounced "Akka Effe", it's Italian, not English :v: (it's short for High Fidelity.

Group B is very well defined by the :stonklol: emoticon. Real people were doing thousands of kilometres in cars that were as light and as powerful as possible, and not to mention the beatings they'd get while pushing them to the limit. As much as fans love the cars and the output, stuff like Toivonen's and Bettega's accidents were probably a matter of "when", not "if". :smith:

• Locked thread