Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So, this morning, at about 4 a.m., after trying to convince my self since midnight, that I was just dealing with some mild food poisoning, I drove myself to an emergency clinic, wherein I was told I had appendicitis.

2 hours later I was in a real hospital, getting prepped for surgery.

Peace out, bitch-rear end appendix.

I'm recovering now, in an expensive hospital room, and I can't wait to find out how much I owe, even with decent insurance.

Anyways, since I'm bored, I figured I'd ask all of y'all about times you've been to the hospital for more than just a check up or whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I was born once.

That's about it.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i was phosphorized once

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Been hospitalized twice this year already for a staph infection in my lungs, maybe a third time coming up

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I spent a few months committed to a mental hospital due to my unintelligible speech.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
One day I couldn't breathe and had crushing chest pains. Now, you would think I would get immediate medical attention, but instead I waited 18 hours and then went to the ER. They took my pulse, which was 250 beats per minute, and then gave me adenosine to return my heart to a normal rhythm. Adenosine normally causes a feeling of impending doom when it's injected, but I already had that so I didn't notice much in the way of psychiatric effects, it just made my ability to breath go from minimal to nil for about 15 seconds. I was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, which normally is diagnosed in childhood, and let go the next day with a prescription for metoprolol. They ablated the accessory electrical pathway a few months later and I haven't had any problems since then.

Also every time I've ever had a seizure in public. People just don't loving believe you when you tell them it happens all the time and you'd rather not pay for an ambulance, the loving cunts, they should have to pay for it if they're so goddamn worried about me.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
One time I fell over and had to get stitches. TBH I should be in hospital now but they won't let me smoke there so gently caress that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I had my appendix taken out two years ago. The docs couldn't do it laproscopically, so I've got a two inch scar where they cut into my side old-school style. Between that and the hydrocodone, I couldn't poop for a week after the surgery. When I finally did poop, not only was it the most painful poo poo I've ever taken, but it must have been the size of a goddamn football. Even though the doc wanted me to stay there for three days, I left after the first because I can't loving stand hospitals.

The same day I got home, my folks brought over a bunch of newborn kittens that a friend's cat had. Nothing like having 6 tiny kittens crawling all over you while you're zonked out on opioids.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I have never been hospitalized but I have gone to the hospital to get a toenail removed and I also had knee surgery once. These were all planned things though, no cool sudden super injuries or viral infections or whatever

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
ive had back surgery twice and the time in the hospitals was way better because i was on some loving strong pain medicine. then when i got home i only had some pain pills that were still strong but not nearly as good and life was basically suffering for a month of two. hth op

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Nigmaetcetera posted:

One day I couldn't breathe and had crushing chest pains. Now, you would think I would get immediate medical attention, but instead I waited 18 hours and then went to the ER. They took my pulse, which was 250 beats per minute, and then gave me adenosine to return my heart to a normal rhythm. Adenosine normally causes a feeling of impending doom when it's injected, but I already had that so I didn't notice much in the way of psychiatric effects, it just made my ability to breath go from minimal to nil for about 15 seconds. I was diagnosed with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, which normally is diagnosed in childhood, and let go the next day with a prescription for metoprolol. They ablated the accessory electrical pathway a few months later and I haven't had any problems since then.

Also every time I've ever had a seizure in public. People just don't loving believe you when you tell them it happens all the time and you'd rather not pay for an ambulance, the loving cunts, they should have to pay for it if they're so goddamn worried about me.

you pay for ambulances?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The same day I got home, my folks brought over a bunch of newborn kittens that a friend's cat had. Nothing like having 6 tiny kittens crawling all over you while you're zonked out on opioids.

Sick... thats a lot of toxo in ur wound

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Zzulu posted:

you pay for ambulances?

Yeah it's like $100 a mile, this country is fuckin gay, we should sell a couple of our nukes and set up a NHS.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
what the gently caress

I knew you guys had really expensive hospital bills but for some reason I never expected even the actual ambulance also costs money :psyduck:

I always wondered; what happens when you can't pay that poo poo? What if you're broke and you break a leg

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

They usually just fix you up, you say "I can't pay", they say "Don't worry about it" and then they lower your credit rating.

At least this is my understanding, I've always been able to pay... After a cash gift from my rich-ish dad.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I had ~10ft of my colon removed, along with my appendix about two years ago.
Here is a photo of 26 staples holding my guts in my body.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Angle grinder + relying on my regular glasses for eye protection = trip to accident & emergency to have a fragment of metal removed from my eye a few days later. The doctor didn't manage to get it all out in one go, so I had to go back in a couple of days later for a repeat performance. It left me with a nice little rust halo on my iris and a slightly better appreciation of the need for p.p.e.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Last time I actually went to see a physician with an actual complaint and not just to get a check-up or something the Soviet Union still existed. Suck it sick people.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Bill NYSE posted:

I had ~10ft of my colon removed, along with my appendix about two years ago.
Here is a photo of 26 staples holding my guts in my body.

What a space saver!

What do you keep in there now????

A cold drink I hope!

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I got beat up by cops for resisting arrest (that was my only charge) and woke up in handcuffed to a hospital bed. A few months later I got an ambulance bill and a hospital bill in the mail. I threatened to sue the city and bills disappeared.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Holy poo poo dude. How many years of your life do you think you lost by revving your heart to the end of the red zone for 18 hours? My guess is 10.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Thanks for the stories folks. Keep em coming.

They gave me morphine. I don't do drugs, but I certainly see the appeal. :)

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They ablated the accessory electrical pathway a few months later and I haven't had any problems since then.

:same:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Was in a minor car wreck and got to ride in an ambulance. Was strapped down and X Ray'd I was fine (was a broke undergrad so my bank account wasn't fine).

If this forum doesn't die can't wait until it's all a lot of geriatric chat on GBS.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Oh here's my hospital story: I sliced the tip of my thumb half off making a sandwich and had to get stitches. Shivering in a cold ER for 3 hours in the middle of the night is not fun.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

notZaar posted:

Holy poo poo dude. How many years of your life do you think you lost by revving your heart to the end of the red zone for 18 hours? My guess is 10.

I asked them that and they told me based on the test results probably none.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nigmaetcetera posted:

They usually just fix you up, you say "I can't pay", they say "Don't worry about it" and then they lower your credit rating.

At least this is my understanding, I've always been able to pay... After a cash gift from my rich-ish dad.

The government actually gives the hospitals tons of money to cover people who can't/don't pay. It's basically back door socialized medicine but don't tell my dad who is in the tea party. :ssh:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Severed a major artery in one of my gluteal muscles a couple years back and had internal bleeding while down in Playa Del Carmen.

They wanted to cut me open and clamp the artery but I said "nah I'm going back to the resort to party"

They said ok but please don't drink. So I didn't drink too much. Sucked the bruise spread from my rear end cheek to my balls and cock, up to my stomach, and all the way up my spine on the back side and down my leg.

I now have a dent in one of my rear end muscles.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

tenspott posted:

The government actually gives the hospitals tons of money to cover people who can't/don't pay. It's basically back door socialized medicine but don't tell my dad who is in the tea party. :ssh:

So if you can't pay your bill they do you in the butt?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

So if you can't pay your bill they do you in the butt?

No you just get indebted and harassed by collectors for the rest of your life.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

When i was born o was born 2 months early and was kept at the hospital for awhile. When I was 7 months old a 3 year old jumped on my leg while my dead babysitter was changing me and snapped my femur in half I was in traction until my first birthday. When I was 4 years old a horse kicked me in the face and almost killed me and caused brain damage and I needed reconstructive surgery on my face and jaws and then I had to get braces for 5 years. When I was in grade 9 I was snowboarding and found out I didn't know how to turn right and crashed into a fence and fractured my right arm in 3 places. When I was 17 I tried to kill myself by taking every pill in my family's home and I also drank a bottle of nail Polish remover and some bailey's lmao. I woke up at the hospital to them putting a tube up my nose into my throat for charcoal and then I puked all over and passed back out for hours and had to go to an inpatient program for 3 months and was expelled because I missed so much class lol. When I was 21 I had recently gotten out of prison and saw myself going down another really bad path like the one that had led me to going to prison and threatened suicide and was sent to another adult inpatient program and got clean of drugs and was there for 6 months and I got kicked out because I had a big crush on another patient and it was really toxic for me but I still stayed clean of everything but weed and the occasional beer for over 5 years now. In a month I will be in the hospital to see my first child get born so despite deaths many attempts on me I am passing on my genetic legacy.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

In 1997 when I was seven I had Meckel's diverticulum, which basically, if I understand it right, is when your umbilical cord that is inside you doesn't dissolve properly (which usually does dissolve when you are a kid around that age) and it wrapped around my small intestine cutting off any food from getting through. They removed a small portion of my small intestine but I've had digestive issues ever since. I was in the hospital for about a week and a half. It was pretty bad since I could only eat ice chips the whole time, but the hospital had a Sega Genesis and a snes so that was cool.

2011 I had Anaphylaxis and was in the hospital for a day, though I have no idea what caused it since I don't have any allergies.

Back in November 2015 I had a procedure done called Deep Brain Stimulation to fix my essential tremors (constant shaky hands). They put two battery packs, on the left and right, in your chest and have wires that go up from there into the brain, it's sort of like a pacemaker but for your brain. When they are placing the leads in your brain you need to be awake so they know they have them placed correctly, so I have had the experience of being awake during brain surgery, though to be completely honest wasn't as bad as it sounds, I was loaded up on some drug the anesthesiologist called "vein champagne" (I don't know what the actual drug is called) but it kept me pretty calm and comfortable through the whole thing. The surgeries are broken up into two procedures, installing the chest batteries and placing the leads in the brain, so I was in the hospital for about two weeks total though there was about a week in between when I was at home. My stay in the hospital was very boring since the TV had really poo poo selections of channels and I didn't have a laptop at the time. When I went back for the second surgery I got colitis and couldn't poop so that was really uncomfortable. Plus the food sucked.

Unfortunately over the 4th of July weekend my left device (which controls my right arm, the one I draw with and write with of course) got infected and had to be removed. Every year two people who have deep brain stimulation done get infections at random, I was one of those unlucky two. I was in the hospital for about two days, and it was pretty bad because I was in some really severe pain and the nurses did a bad job of managing my pain. I also had a spinal tap done but that wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I am currently healing up from that and it sucks. Once my infection clears up I can get it reinstalled, which I can't wait for because having tremors sucks.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 26, 2016

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014

Got this poo poo installed last February

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
had my left eye cut open

lost a lung

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
once i was in the hospital w/food poisoning, so bad i was puking up bile and delirious and just sobbing nonstop, and of course making GBS threads liquid hell

right as i started to get back to a state where i could lie still without wanting to die forever, still in the hospital in the same sweated-through gown, i started my period

my crazy girlfriend at the time had accompanied me. right about this moment, she decided that it would be really hot to try and gently caress me in a hospital bed.

it was not hot. we did not gently caress

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

tenspott posted:

*county hospitals. careful with this.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
you pay a wwhole mega stack of money to the hospital through your insurance, because theres so many middlemen involved. this is the case for doctor visit too, you know the 5-6 overweight women milling around when you go to the doctor? They're data entry people and usually there are more of them than doctors + nurses combined

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

tenspott posted:

If they're a non-profit, which a lot of them are. I used to work in medicine and it's as simple as asking the person who takes your insurance info for an HCAP form, lying about your income and signing. There's no checking up on your income, it just gets sent off and is covered by the government.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Nation posted:

had my left eye cut open

lost a lung

Does the eye still work??

drat, I'm scared of losing my vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm posting from a hospital now, where I've been for about a month. I don't live in a terrible country so I won't need to pay for my treatment

• Locked thread