Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I would never pollute my body with garbage like "fresh fish".

Meat is full of parasites and fruits and vegetables grow out of dirt. But I know exactly what is in my cool ranch Doritos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

are they just fish parasites or also people parasites. that kind of makes a difference

Fish tapeworm has hooks so it doesn't come out right away if you take a dewormer pill which is not good. There are other things fish carry that can live in us. However the vast majority of them are fish only, as almost all parasites are very specifically adapted to their host, as it's required.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

quote:

“Will quality suffer? Of course,” he said. “We all know that cheese is better at room temperature, but the health department wants it refrigerated.” Unless you want to eat irradiated food sprayed with poisons,” he continued,
off topic but I want to punch this use of quotation marks in the dick. what the gently caress could possibly be the point of using block quotation conventions without a line break to create a garden path of attribution with two reporting clauses? What the gently caress

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Zzulu posted:

the sea has always seemed like a hellish place to me

You're just floating around in the abyss and then you have ten thousand things burrowing into you and then you get eaten by some horrific monstrosity

Haha, just like marriage, amiright?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Haha, just like marriage, amiright?

lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

vols bitch posted:

dont give a poo poo, will still eat because im not a weak bitch

ya especially sushi

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

“Will quality suffer? Of course,” he said. “We all know that cheese is better at room temperature, but the health department wants it refrigerated.” Unless you want to eat irradiated food sprayed with poisons,” he continued,

this is retarded

straight up I worked the line and sent cheese plates out and this is retarded. The health department doesn't give two shits if you serve the cheese room temp or chilled as long as it is refrigerated when it is just being stored. Otherwise there's 0 problem pulling some cheese out a half hour or so beforehand to let it get to room temp.

the reason you get cheese served cold 90% of the time is bc it is just easier to pull it out of the lowboy as you get the tickets rather than letting some of it get to room temp first, not bc the health department is gonna throw a fit.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I would eat any irradiated food and it's retarded as hell people are pissbitches about it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
most cheese you'll get is made with pasteurized milk anyway

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I would eat any irradiated food and it's retarded as hell people are pissbitches about it

you probably already have because food irradiation improves safety and shelf life of foods by eliminating the micro organisms in it and it's a pretty common technique

people are just piss babies and don't know how radiation works

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
in other countries they don't give a gently caress and just take antiiparasitics every couple years

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

you probably already have because food irradiation improves safety and shelf life of foods by eliminating the micro organisms in it and it's a pretty common technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmL1gIi23Og

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I dont havde any parasites or microorgasms and ill fight any son of a bitch who says otherwise

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

quote:

some species are known to be parasitic on sea cucumbers, eating their gonads and living in their anal pores. Though usually Pearlfish live alone, or in pairs, in 1977 the New Zealand biologist Victor Benno Meyer-Rochow recorded 15 pearlfish all living in a shared habitat - the anus of a single sea cucumber.[2]

:eyepop:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

verily, I sound our ancient goonish battlecry: "gently caress the ocean"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

verily, I sound our ancient goonish battlecry: "gently caress the ocean"

My dad got shocked by an electric eel oncd

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Salmonella is little salmons that live in worms

Holy poo poo is this true??:prepop:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yes, it's true

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just ea tthe fish you big stupid babies! :mad:

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
i for one trust professor shark's expert opinion on fish-eating

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
So they have fish that look like a white girl with a big rear end now?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

All wild animals are full of parasites.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

But I know exactly what is in my cool ranch Doritos.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

You're just one big flesh sack working for the piles of bacteria in the middle of you

When you stop doing your job they burst out of you and go other places

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR

who is having sex with who here

naem
May 29, 2011

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

handshake posted:

What you Americans don't understand is that we live here. The worms live here. We open our mouths and eat them. *fish puffs on cigar* They grow inside us, whatever. It is... apart of life for us.
*cue footage of fish in poverty, holding guns*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dely Apple posted:

You're just one big flesh sack working for the piles of bacteria in the middle of you

When you stop doing your job they burst out of you and go other places

yea scrotums are p weird

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Moridin920 posted:

Followup to this, its the exact same way we keep medical products sterile, they stick it in a room and open up a Cobalt-60 source or whatever for a few minutes. Except on food. Its great.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation

"Food irradiation is permitted by over 60 countries, with about 500,000 metric tons of food annually processed worldwide." (mostly in europe and brazil, tho)

Look for this logo:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Captain Yossarian posted:

I lied, it's not true, I'm sorry

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
hector beerlioz why would you lie to us

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zzulu posted:

Where are these worms, I want to scoop them out of my body

You know when you see that floating thing in your vision

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Here you go

some website posted:

All living organisms, including fish, can have parasites. Parasites are a natural occurrence, not contamination. They are as common in fish as insects are in fruits and vegetables. There are two types of parasites that can infect people through food or water: parasitic worms and protozoa. Parasitic worms include roundworms (nematodes), tapeworms (cestodes) and flukes (trematodes). These worms vary in size from barely visible to several feet in length. Protozoa are single-cell animals, and cannot be seen without a microscope.

Just as there are risks to eating raw or undercooked meat, there are also risks with eating raw, undercooked, pickled, and lightly or cold-smoked seafood dishes. Parasites do not present a health concern in thoroughly cooked fish.

Parasites become a concern when consumers eat raw or lightly preserved fish such as sashimi, sushi, ceviche, and gravlax. When preparing these products, use commercially frozen fish. Alternatively, freeze the fish to an internal temperature of -4°F for at least 7 days to kill any parasites that may be present. Home freezers range from 0°F to 10°F and may not be cold enough to kill parasites.

Parasites (in the larval stage) consumed in uncooked, or undercooked, unfrozen seafood can present a human health hazard. Among parasites, the nematodes or roundworms (Anisakis spp., Pseudoterranova spp., Eustrongylides spp. and Gnathostoma spp.), cestodes or tapeworms (Diphyllobothrium spp.) and trematodes or flukes (Chlonorchis sinensis, Opisthorchis spp., Heterophyes spp., Metagonimus spp., Nanophyetes salminicola and Paragonimus spp.) are of most concern in seafood. Some products that have been implicated in human infection are: ceviche (fish and spices marinated in lime juice); lomi lomi (salmon marinated in lemon juice, onion and tomato); poisson cru (fish marinated in citrus juice, onion, tomato and coconut milk); herring roe; sashimi (slices of raw fish); sushi (pieces of raw fish with rice and other ingredients); green herring (lightly brined herring); drunken crabs (crabs marinated in wine and pepper); cold-smoked fish (lox); and, undercooked grilled fish.

The process of cooking (145°F for 15 seconds) raw fish sufficiently to kill bacterial pathogens is also sufficient to kill parasites.

The effectiveness of freezing to kill parasites depends on several factors, including the temperature of the freezing process, the length of time needed to freeze the fish tissue, the length of time the fish is held frozen, the fat content of the fish, and the type of parasite present. The temperature of the freezing process, the length of time the fish is held frozen, and the type of parasite appear to be the most important factors. For example, tapeworms are more susceptible to freezing than are roundworms. Flukes appear to be more resistant than roundworms.

Freezing and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours is sufficient to kill parasites. FDA's Food Code recommends these freezing conditions to retailers who provide fish intended for raw consumption.

Trimming away the belly flaps of fish or candling and physically removing parasites are methods for reducing the numbers of parasites. However, they do not completely eliminate the hazard, nor do they minimize it to an acceptable level.
The health risk from parasites is far less than the risk from bacterial pathogens and mishandling of seafood.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Drunk & Ugly posted:

hector beerlioz why would you lie to us

I just wanted to be cool

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
my favorite fish parasite is the tongue eating louse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBMK7C_HwI4

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
vice dot come, you say? I usually find something wormy when I fish with click bait.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Salmonella is little salmons that live in worms

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what if vice founds out that the ocean is a literal slurry of bacteria and viruses, many pathogenic to humans, but just not concentrated enough (or cant get through the skin) to cause harm? a scary article will be written mark my words

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Relin posted:

what if vice founds out that the ocean is a literal slurry of bacteria and viruses, many pathogenic to humans, but just not concentrated enough (or cant get through the skin) to cause harm? a scary article will be written mark my words

And check out the weird drugs they use! Let's try some!

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I'd eat irradiated food, but only if it contains neutron activated heavy metals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i never eat anything from the sea. it is full of eldritch horrors that are not meant for man. our evolutionary forefathers left that terrible place for a reason

• Locked thread