Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else had an equipment set just... disappear from the list?

I closed MHGen for the first time since getting the game to play some other games, and when I booted it up again two of my equipment sets were just empty spots on the list. I still have all the equipment, so it's just the sets :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Did you happen to not save?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ignore what was in this post, I'm not sure Gaijins numbers were correct now.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 26, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Note to self: Bow is not a good weapon to use against Nibelsnarf. :downs:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Note to self: Bow is not a good weapon to use against Nibelsnarf. :downs:

Counterpoint: Bow is cool and good.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
*grumble* I joined an Astalos urgent room with an HR3 and two other HR2s. We run through one of the others' Astalos urgent, I go to post mine, and they all bail. First the person whose urgent we completed, then the other two.

Not cool yo.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Been getting into HBG. Pretty much just using Normal 2 and Pierce 2 shots.

I know the longer the monster the better using Pierce is over Normal. And Pierce 3 does less damage but does more hits than Pierce 1. So longer the monster the better it is to use Pierce 3 over 1.

So, how big/long does a monster have to be in general for Pierce to be worth it over Normal 2? And when should you use Pierce 1 over 2 or 3? It feels like I'm just playing a guessing game. Like for Rathian, would Pierce 1 work better over Normal 2? Or would Pierce 2 be better?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Been getting into HBG. Pretty much just using Normal 2 and Pierce 2 shots.

I know the longer the monster the better using Pierce is over Normal. And Pierce 3 does less damage but does more hits than Pierce 1. So longer the monster the better it is to use Pierce 3 over 1.

So, how big/long does a monster have to be in general for Pierce to be worth it over Normal 2? And when should you use Pierce 1 over 2 or 3? It feels like I'm just playing a guessing game. Like for Rathian, would Pierce 1 work better over Normal 2? Or would Pierce 2 be better?

depends on how you hit it

Pierce Damage
lvl1 10 x 3
lvl2 9 x 4
lvl3 8 x 5

If you notice pierce 3 only pinging 4 times you're better off using 2, if you notice 2 only pinging 3 times you should use 1.

Normal 1 = 6
Normal 2 = 12
Normal 3 = 10 + ricochet hits

Comparing that to normal, you can see that as long as you're getting 2 pierces you're doing more damage than normal 2.

tl;dr
shooting from head to tail, pierce 2 is the best for a good 80% of monsters

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Is pierce just flat out better than normal, then? I've been using the Gore HBG, which sieges Normal and Pierce 2's. Been ignoring pierce in lieu of just machinegunning Normal 2's into the monster's skull.

It probably helps that I barely ever shoot outside of crouch fire. Being a turret is too much fun.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is it wrong that that reason I like Gunlance so much is that I can shoot my gun into the air at the end of quests to celebrate?

Also what is the point of Long Gunlances? I see why you might want Normal or Wide but Long doesn't seem to offer anything I don't get better from the other two types.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ethiser posted:

Is it wrong that that reason I like Gunlance so much is that I can shoot my gun into the air at the end of quests to celebrate?

Also what is the point of Long Gunlances? I see why you might want Normal or Wide but Long doesn't seem to offer anything I don't get better from the other two types.

Long Gunlances have much better Wyvern Fire and and longer red on the heat gauge IIRC. Meaning it's really good for controlling heat and doing long strings of poke->shelling combos.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I feel like it should've been obvious in hindsight, but Swarm is not a good hunter art to have active when you're doing a capture quest.

Mandatory capture quests are apparently my bane in this game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Is pierce just flat out better than normal, then? I've been using the Gore HBG, which sieges Normal and Pierce 2's. Been ignoring pierce in lieu of just machinegunning Normal 2's into the monster's skull.

It probably helps that I barely ever shoot outside of crouch fire. Being a turret is too much fun.

pretty much

normal up is easier to get than pierce up and you can hold more of the shots, plus you generally hold more shots per reload of normal than pierce.

plus more guns have normal 2 siege than pierce siege if that's something you like.

in hypers/deviants there aren't that many opportunities to siege fire unfortunately but until then keep doing you

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Your Computer posted:

Has anyone else had an equipment set just... disappear from the list?

I closed MHGen for the first time since getting the game to play some other games, and when I booted it up again two of my equipment sets were just empty spots on the list. I still have all the equipment, so it's just the sets :iiam:

Did you happen to either upgrade the weapon in that set to a different one or sell off/fuse the Talisman equipped on it? If the game doesn't see a piece that was on the set originally it deletes it. I forgot about this and lost half my sets when I replaced my old expert talisman with a better one.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Infinity Gaia posted:

Did you happen to either upgrade the weapon in that set to a different one or sell off/fuse the Talisman equipped on it? If the game doesn't see a piece that was on the set originally it deletes it. I forgot about this and lost half my sets when I replaced my old expert talisman with a better one.

:ms:

I melded a ton of charms, must've melded one I used. Thanks!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Ethiser posted:

I call it "Cinco de Monhun"

I like the Long Gunlance - the poke-poke-shoot-poke-poke-shoot-poke-poke-shoot-poke-poke-slam combo is pretty good if you need to scratch your nose while a monster is down.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kashuno posted:

Counterpoint: Bow is cool and good.

Hey, I never said otherwise. It's just not a good choice against that particular monster :(

Other monsters die pretty quickly to it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Hey, I never said otherwise. It's just not a good choice against that particular monster :(

Other monsters die pretty quickly to it.

I think you are the only person local to me I know that plays MonHun and is also a goon

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I wanna try branching out to HBG, but Bow just absolutely shreds stuff.

Someone, make an argument for HBG so I can get hype about picking it up.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I grabbed MHFU for iOS on those days when I don't have my 3DS with me but I gotta hunt some monsters. What's the timing for getting well-done steaks on the spit? It seems different and a lot tighter than 4U and Gen.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

EightFlyingCars posted:

I grabbed MHFU for iOS on those days when I don't have my 3DS with me but I gotta hunt some monsters. What's the timing for getting well-done steaks on the spit? It seems different and a lot tighter than 4U and Gen.

The color changes after the beat.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I actually gently caress up the poogie / moofie timings a lot (well without the !) because I go for the colour change on steaks rather than the actual timing :shobon:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Holy gently caress these weapon upgrades get expensive.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Rascyc posted:

everything gets expensive

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

RME posted:

everything gets expensive

Honey is always super cheap, and the True Endgame is stockpiling as much as you can, soooo....

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kashuno posted:

I think you are the only person local to me I know that plays MonHun and is also a goon

whare u

Not that it matters cause I'm a shutin anyway :v:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I got burned out trying to find a perfect cat. :(

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Start selling monster parts you don't need.

Or if you're HR 60+, start cashing into the Bank of Akantor.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I am, stuff is still too expensive when you want to make an elemental arsenal (twice).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Neo_Crimson posted:

Start selling monster parts you don't need.

Or if you're HR 60+, start cashing into the Bank of Akantor.

Monster parts... You don't need? I don't understand the concept.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rascyc posted:

I am, stuff is still too expensive when you want to make an elemental arsenal (twice).

For some reason my way of playing monster hunter is to literally build every single possible gunlance and follow each branch of every tree to the end so I feel your pain

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The ending

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so I'm chilling in HR as a CB/SA/LS user but I wanna learn bow. What's a good highrank/upper low rank armor set for bow? Mosgharl? Something with focus?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Ethiser posted:

Extremely broadly: Normal is for full bursts, Wide is for charged shelling, and Long is for Wyvern Fire and poking. Long also has arguably the best regular shelling, it's long and narrow so it hits quite a ways out past your lance but doesn't blast everyone in a 10 foot radius like Wide. Finally Long has the...well...longest red gauge so it's comparatively easier to lock in red, which of course is very useful given its focus on pokes. An interesting fact is that due to Long having higher shelling damage than Normal, a Load Up full burst with a Long style gunlance is extremely competitive with a Load Up Normal full burst (it's something like a 5% damage difference). Of course if you use the Wyvern's Breath HA Normal pulls heavily ahead again due to the bonus damage being per shell. Still, if you are using a 1-Art style and using Blast Dash or something, you can do a full burst focused playstyle with Long and do just as much damage as Normal with all the benefits of Long type shells. Which is very convenient given that Aerial and Adept both have an emphasis on full bursts.

I actually prefer Long for Aerial because you can shell in the air and hit the monster much easier (and for more damage) and then land and burst or go right into pokes, whereas with Normal you pretty much always want to go straight for the slam->burst. It's also a lot harder to gently caress up and overheat with Long which is a big boon with Aerial style. Plus your Wyvern Fire is stronger and guess what style lets you easily disable the monster? The final bit of coolness is that the Tamarod Sedition is one of the best Long lances and the Seregios auto-sharpen characteristic synergizes extremely well with Aerial style. It's fun fun fun!

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Unlocked 6 star village, decided to give this Garuga quest a shot. Did not realize he was high rank.

Christ, does Garuga need a rework or something. I get that he's supposed to be SUPER KUT-KU and all, but the fact that he has zero wind-up time on any of his attacks really bothers me. "Oh cool, you just finished a charge and I'm behind you, so I'm good to get off one hit, right?" Nope, 180 degree beakslam, say goodbye to 70% of your health.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So it's been nearly a week and I still can't get anybody to join my Nakarkos urgent room :smith: Has HR3-4 been such a dead-end for anybody else? Goon discord is too US-centric to help.

Right there with you, I seemed to have missed the goon boat primarily focusing on Village quests. I did find another goon and someone to help go from HR2 to 3 last night, but haven't seen much mention of HR3-4 since I've been awake.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Ok, so I'm chilling in HR as a CB/SA/LS user but I wanna learn bow. What's a good highrank/upper low rank armor set for bow? Mosgharl? Something with focus?

Mosgharl S Chest, Arms, and Legs with Jaggi S Helmet (Blademaster for more armor), and Waist for Focus and Attack Up (M) with the Teostra Bow and a 2-slot Talisman.

Later on you can swap the helmet for the Barrage Piercing, the waist for the Esurient Coat R, and gem for Normal Up. For a total of Focus, Load-Up, and Normal/Rapid Up.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

katkillad2 posted:

Right there with you, I seemed to have missed the goon boat primarily focusing on Village quests. I did find another goon and someone to help go from HR2 to 3 last night, but haven't seen much mention of HR3-4 since I've been awake.

I finally did it yesterday - I named my room URGENT FARM and it lured people in. I stayed behind to help everyone else get theirs but it's worth the time. I hope they gently caress off with the host-only urgents for 5. What a bone-headed restriction.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I got burned out trying to find a perfect cat. :(

Ask in Discord or Reddit or somewhere and someone can give you their perfect cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I finally did it yesterday - I named my room URGENT FARM and it lured people in. I stayed behind to help everyone else get theirs but it's worth the time. I hope they gently caress off with the host-only urgents for 5. What a bone-headed restriction.

I wonder if it's a dumb limitation of how they have their quest system set up or something. Like, if you do a normal quest you don't qualify to take personally yet (but do qualify to participate in, of course), you'll still have it completed when you reach the necessary HR, right? Maybe the "you need to pick your own urgents" thing is a side-effect of how they're keeping it so you don't count as having completed an urgent before you unlocked it and things breaking because of that.

I mean, it's more likely that it's just a really boneheaded design decision of theirs, admittedly. I just started trying to think of why they'd do things that way when it's so weird and frustrating, and that's the best I got, their code requiring it so things don't break.

But yeah, them changing that in 5 would be great. I hope they do that too.

• Locked thread