Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I really wish game devs would stop balancing things towards the top x% of their player base. The majority of people just want to play and have fun. Shoot monsters, bash hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Stanley Pain posted:

I really wish game devs would stop balancing things towards the top x% of their player base. The majority of people just want to play and have fun. Shoot monsters, bash hunters.

Yeah its a pretty amazing way to completely gently caress over the average playerbase. Oddly enough though these dropship changes are clearly aimed at the low tier scrub players.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I feel like explaining how things work would do a lot more for scrubs than messing with balance right now. Things like how many hit points a thing has, or when regeneration perks kick in, or etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So glad I picked up Evolve on the last Playstation sale, I should have listened to the goons.

I might actually try this tonight. Evolve was one of those games that I really wanted to be good but they massively hosed it up with their greed. Now it looks like it might not be wallowing in the mud anymore.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Stanley Pain posted:

Are they not making balance changes based on overall win rates? That's how the official forums suggested it was done the past. They even stated that early in stage 2 they want the game to favor the hunters a bit so it doesn't frustrate new people.

Maybe they could tweak something to entice people into Ranked so that games are made using the ELO ranking. Ideally you want everyone to actually lose 50% of their games.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So glad I picked up Evolve on the last Playstation sale, I should have listened to the goons.

I might actually try this tonight. Evolve was one of those games that I really wanted to be good but they massively hosed it up with their greed. Now it looks like it might not be wallowing in the mud anymore.

Almost every night now a bunch of us have been piling into the discord to play as a group, its a lot of fun if you wanna try it out with non-pubs.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Mimic has gone from being a skill I considered the worst in the game to being my favourite after I actually spent a couple games giving it a go. I'm never going back to mindlessly making GBS threads out spiders. The damage on it is pretty insane even when you don't factor in that you can also land a heavy attack just before exploding it. It does burst damage and also applies a DoT and stacking it with your other two DoT's is a loving hilarious amount of damage. If you've been avoiding mimic I highly recommend giving it a go.

I'm never skilling that loving spider ever again.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Liu posted:

Mimic has gone from being a skill I considered the worst in the game to being my favourite after I actually spent a couple games giving it a go. I'm never going back to mindlessly making GBS threads out spiders. The damage on it is pretty insane even when you don't factor in that you can also land a heavy attack just before exploding it. It does burst damage and also applies a DoT and stacking it with your other two DoT's is a loving hilarious amount of damage. If you've been avoiding mimic I highly recommend giving it a go.

I'm never skilling that loving spider ever again.

Sounds like you play a fair bit of Gorgon - Is her bonus pounce damage from walls worth getting into? I know you can stack some gnarly perks that also increase pounce damage even more.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I still don't know how you're supposed to survive getting mimiced & puked on and hit with a heavy attack all at once. It'll take you from 100 to death's door all at once.

Same with heavy DPS wraith builds with -% cooldown perks. Even with a sunny or hank and a good medic you just go down too fast.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

Sounds like you play a fair bit of Gorgon - Is her bonus pounce damage from walls worth getting into? I know you can stack some gnarly perks that also increase pounce damage even more.

I don't rate it very highly, it does roughly a 1/6 of the hp bar. I gave it a try and it seems that perks don't actually increase the initial pounce damage at all, just the damage you deal while pouncing.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Booooo! I can't run this with a Geforce GTS 250 :(

Gunder
May 22, 2003

FalloutGod posted:

Booooo! I can't run this with a Geforce GTS 250 :(

Well it was released in 2009...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Well it seems the game is drying up. It takes about 15-20 minutes to find a game where someone doesn't leave now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Knifegrab posted:

Well it seems the game is drying up. It takes about 15-20 minutes to find a game where someone doesn't leave now.

I get the feeling that people just aren't all that interested in asymmetrical multiplayer. You can see the same stuff with dead by daylight and the survivor nerfs even though they were massively overpowered.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Knifegrab posted:

I think that's less about the game drying up and more about people being leaving shitheads.

Also we had a hacker that was ending the games early. Surprise he's a youtuber and sounds like a little kid. Surprise again he has a VAC ban on record.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 28, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
So is anyone here a fan of Elder Kraken? Having now tried every monster and adaptation (save Behemoth) it's the only one I don't really get the appeal of. I thought I'd enjoy the Scream Corridor but it tended to do a lot worse than regular Vortex and losing the constant air bombardment made the whole experience less fun.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

It's in the top 25 games played on steam so I highly, highly doubt that. It's just shitters leaving all the time. If it manages to keep around 10k people playing over the next couple of months it'll probably do ok.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Kraken is easily my favorite monster, shame I don't have the keys to unlock him though when I still have all of the hunters to unlock. Speaking of, I'm probably unlocking either Maggie or Bucket when he is no longer free.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

So is anyone here a fan of Elder Kraken? Having now tried every monster and adaptation (save Behemoth) it's the only one I don't really get the appeal of. I thought I'd enjoy the Scream Corridor but it tended to do a lot worse than regular Vortex and losing the constant air bombardment made the whole experience less fun.

I've literally never seen Elder Kraken lose, and when I play him I regularly kill all the hunters in the first confrontation. My record is under 2 minutes for a victory. Scream Corridor is basically only good for finishing fleeing hunters off - your bread and butter is to cycle between banshee missile and lightning bolt, while pressing the attack and meleeing your primary target, while spamming the AOE chain lightning as often as you can. Catching several hunters with the AOE does an absurd amount of damage, and people who are used to Kraken don't expect Elder to be able to dish out 250 damage punches and get really surprised when you start doing that. I should probably try regular Kraken at some point, since I enjoy raining red death down upon people.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ularg posted:

Speaking of, I'm probably unlocking either Maggie or Bucket when he is no longer free.

Don't buy Bucket, he's the consecutive log-in reward on like day 4.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Doodmons posted:

Scream Corridor is basically only good for finishing fleeing hunters off

Doesn't death spiral go through walls? I like to use it as a zoning tool. Hunters will get hit in cover they thought was safe or will try to stay out of it and end up eating a lightning bolt instead.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nechronic posted:

Doesn't death spiral go through walls? I like to use it as a zoning tool. Hunters will get hit in cover they thought was safe or will try to stay out of it and end up eating a lightning bolt

Yea they really love going all out on trying to avoid the spiral, even though you can just lazily walk out of it without taking too much damage.

On the matchmaking - I think sometimes it gets 'stuck', and quitting out of the matchmaking queue and getting back in it will instantly place me in a game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

It's in the top 25 games played on steam so I highly, highly doubt that. It's just shitters leaving all the time. If it manages to keep around 10k people playing over the next couple of months it'll probably do ok.

http://steamcharts.com/app/273350#1m

I'm not saying its the end of the world but the disappearing playerbase seems to hardly be slowing down and for a f2p game that is kinda a shame.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Knifegrab posted:

http://steamcharts.com/app/273350#1m

I'm not saying its the end of the world but the disappearing playerbase seems to hardly be slowing down and for a f2p game that is kinda a shame.

It was never going to retain the levels of it's initial "hey dudes this game is free now" bump.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Voyager I posted:

It was never going to retain the levels of it's initial "hey dudes this game is free now" bump.

Yeah all games have a bleed off, free games included but its bleed rate is hardly slowing and if it maintains in two weeks there will be less than 3-4k players globally, perhaps even less.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It seems like it's been hitting a pretty good slow finally, it's been hovering in the about mid/high-teen thousands for a little now.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

Almost every night now a bunch of us have been piling into the discord to play as a group, its a lot of fun if you wanna try it out with non-pubs.

I really need to do this as well. I've seen a few of you guys on, but haven't been able to cut out a chunk of time to actually jump in. Do you guys just run a 4 stack for hunters, or do you do a full group of guys switching off on the monster?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I really need to do this as well. I've seen a few of you guys on, but haven't been able to cut out a chunk of time to actually jump in. Do you guys just run a 4 stack for hunters, or do you do a full group of guys switching off on the monster?

Though we've done the latter typically we like to just roll four hunters (we're still getting smoked because the meta is so monster biased).

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so i think the recent update made it so that if you're quickplaying with a friend, neither of you can play monster.

it sucks, because i was having a lot of fun playing as monster against my bud, but now even if one of us prefers monster, and everyone else in the game prefers their own, distinct role, neither of us ends up being monster

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

ninjewtsu posted:

so i think the recent update made it so that if you're quickplaying with a friend, neither of you can play monster.

it sucks, because i was having a lot of fun playing as monster against my bud, but now even if one of us prefers monster, and everyone else in the game prefers their own, distinct role, neither of us ends up being monster

something funny must be up, because playing monster is my fifth choice on preference, and I was in a match with 4 others, 2 of which preferred monster....so I got it. Perhaps they were in a party with eachother, much like your scenario?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man I'm enjoying Bucket waaaay too much.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

turboraton posted:

Perk tips? I am trying to figure out what works for him.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ninjewtsu posted:

I played in a party of 3 recently and at one point switched my #1 preference to monster, which resulted in me getting the role select screen you get in training mode once picking started. It did let me pick monster at that point, but it felt like unintended behavior.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

turboraton posted:

The robits just have a fun feel even if they're not super top tier picks right now, I love me summa that EMET fingerbang rocket action :pervert:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Bucket is fun but picking him really depends on if his teammates benifit from his 3rd skill.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

You also better have a drat good healer, because no shielding is a pretty big drawback. Basically, not having Hank on your team makes things way harder.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Always refresh the shield, time the shield with the other's abilities for more bang for your buck. *heal burst* -> *shield burst* ->*refresh*. Same with tracking or the assault shield depending on the situation. Shield is for after someone has taken hits and medic used his poo poo. Drop sentries everywhere, they drop fast and either distract the monster or punish him for not taking them down. Three sentries put out more than your main in DPS.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Here's the funnest Goliath build:

1. Hunger
2. Move Speed
3. Move Speed

Plus Frostbite skin. Gotta go fast.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Tried this at a friend on xbox, then gave it a go on PC when stage 2 came out. Oh my god it's so much better to control here.

Having gotten used to the former, matchmaking at the start is hilarious these days, currently on a 12 streak with the last one being me (support tech hank) and the trapper somehow beating a Gorgon with 2 guys peacing out at character select and getting stuck with bots.
Am I correct in prioritizing getting new characters first, or should I spend my keys early on on a perk in each tier? Don't know how matchmaking deals with me only having tier 1 perks so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Patch coming on Tuesday: https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/balance-update-for-2-04-expected-8-2-next-tuesday/95973

• Locked thread