Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ZoninSilver posted:

Am I correct in prioritizing getting new characters first, or should I spend my keys early on on a perk in each tier? Don't know how matchmaking deals with me only having tier 1 perks so far.

I'd say grabbing characters is usually good first, you get plenty of perks just from leveling people up, though there are some you can only get with keys but that's not super vital if you're still pretty early in there.

Also jesus christ those vanilla Goliath buffs :stare:

That and boy is full CDR perks EMET gonna be nightmare after those changes, let me just burst heal as well as normal Val, except every 4 seconds.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ZoninSilver posted:

Tried this at a friend on xbox, then gave it a go on PC when stage 2 came out. Oh my god it's so much better to control here.

Having gotten used to the former, matchmaking at the start is hilarious these days, currently on a 12 streak with the last one being me (support tech hank) and the trapper somehow beating a Gorgon with 2 guys peacing out at character select and getting stuck with bots.
Am I correct in prioritizing getting new characters first, or should I spend my keys early on on a perk in each tier? Don't know how matchmaking deals with me only having tier 1 perks so far.

You will unlock a bunch of perks by playing characters, so if there is a specific character you want definitely save for the character first.

edit: noooo reduction on Goliath boulder direct damage. catching someone in the face for huge damage was so satisfying :( Oh well now maybe someone beside me will actually pick boulder with the splash damage increase

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 30, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Wrecking pub hunters as a gorgon, wraith, or elder kraken with aggressive perks is just too easy to even be fun. Closest I've been to losing in like 15 or 20 matches as monster is running into a couple premades with huge win streaks, which just made it close rather than a stomp. The past couple balance patches have brought down hunter's power from which I have to assume that at the extreme pro tier or whatever that hunters are doing better, but that's certainly not reflected in the poo poo pub tier pick up level at which I bottom feed.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

quote:

Additional tuning for solo player matchmaking

They've mentioned before that solo players are getting buffs (since patch before last) to help with the lack of teamwork, they won't say what the buffs are though, only that it's not damage. I don't suppose anyone who regularly plays both solo and in parties has noticed any difference?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Wrecking pub hunters as a gorgon, wraith, or elder kraken with aggressive perks is just too easy to even be fun.

My last chunk of games and what's put me on I wanna say a 6 or some win streak now is just playing Behemoth period. A lot of people seemingly don't know what he does at all because he's such a rare pick.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Yes because if there was anything this game needed was it to be more biased towards monsters :downs:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Knifegrab posted:

Yes because if there was anything this game needed was it to be more biased towards monsters :downs:

Are we reading the same patch notes? All monsters had stats and perks slightly nerfed, except Goliath which is to level out people always playing meaty instead of OG Goliath.

Hunters got all medics buffed exempt for one val got a 1 sec cool down change. Lennox got nerfed I guess but Parnell is the best assault anyway so no change there.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 30, 2016

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Lennox got nerfed I guess but Parnell is the best assault anyway so no change there.

Didn't they beat Parnell over the head a patch or two ago? Most recently I feel like I'd rather see a Markov or Blitzmark than anybody else.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Even if Lennox got her numbers toned down I still think she and Parnell are ahead of Blitz M, who's ahead of regular Markov, who's way way ahead of Hyde / Torvald.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Captain Beans posted:

Are we reading the same patch notes? All midterms had stats and perks slightly nerfed, except Goliath which is to level out people always playing meaty instead of OG Goliath.

Hunters got all medics buffed exempt for one val got a 1 sec cool down change. Lennox got nerfed I guess but Parnell is the best assault anyway so no change there.

The monsters across the board got very very minor nerfs (except that they are slowed less when meleeing which is a HUGE buff) while the hunters got hit pretty drat hard. 55% damage reduction on defense matrix? More drop ship time?

Lennox and Hyde are now not that great or specialized anymore, Val and Rogue Val might have been the strongest medic but that doesn't mean they needed a nerf it means the other medics needed buffs. And they nerfed slim :psyduck:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
They did drop his shotgun damage per pellet from 11 to 10 a few patches ago, not too bad. I just prefer seeing a Parnell on my team because it seems like the player is more likely to know what they are doing, probably because he hasn't been free for people to try yet.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

And they nerfed slim :psyduck:

Did they? I thought that all figured out to being better at least some. His burst cooldown got trimmed a pretty great deal, the shotgun's spread is tighter, which even if he lost 2 pellets, it sounded like it should work out to him being able to burst even more.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Knifegrab posted:

The monsters across the board got very very minor nerfs (except that they are slowed less when meleeing which is a HUGE buff) while the hunters got hit pretty drat hard. 55% damage reduction on defense matrix? More drop ship time?

Lennox and Hyde are now not that great or specialized anymore, Val and Rogue Val might have been the strongest medic but that doesn't mean they needed a nerf it means the other medics needed buffs. And they nerfed slim :psyduck:

Yea, changing assault defense matrix is tricky because if your assault goes down you are in deep poo poo, the rest of the team just doesn't do enough damage to ward off the monster. I assume they are trying to take some of the weight off medic and support by mixing up who the monster can lead off focusing on.

I don't think the monster melee speed will change much of anything, even though the % change is large. As monster I play a lot of Goliath (both), Kraken and Gorgon, where unless heavy attack is on cooldown I'm basically never using melee attack. Cooldowns on abilities cycle quickly and do so much more damage.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

Did they? I thought that all figured out to being better at least some. His burst cooldown got trimmed a pretty great deal, the shotgun's spread is tighter, which even if he lost 2 pellets, it sounded like it should work out to him being able to burst even more.

Way less output on the shotgun, meaning way less time cut off from burst heal. They buffed his out of combat healing but who the gently caress cares about that?

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
the grounder perk is actually the most retarded poo poo. When Evolve released there were a lot of complaints about how a monster could basically tumble you into the corner and keep you there effortlessly and it was extremely frustrating to be locked in and have no options. It was removed eventually and now they've added it back in via this shitter perk.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Knifegrab posted:

It's still biased in favor of hunters.

Right now that is. Don't know how it'll shake out after patch.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

It's still biased in favor of hunters.

Right now that is. Don't know how it'll shake out after patch.

That's pretty crazy considering I am lvl 50, have 115 hours in stage 2, and my monster win rate is ~80%. At first people said it was only biased towards hunters in the extremely high level, well I guess that's not me then because as a monster I still pretty stomp constantly.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
That's probably a fair assesment.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

That's probably a fair assesment.

Up until now the only thing that determined matchmaking in quickplay was level so I guess very high level is ephemeral. Apparently they will be using some sort of hidden ELO next patch.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
That's a good change - they should use the ranked system for matching players in hunt. Just leave out the leaderboard stats from hunt so people don't rage about teammates ruining their stats.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Point being who cares if a game is balanced for the very high 0.1% when it's an unbalanced mess for the rest?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Liu posted:

Mimic has gone from being a skill I considered the worst in the game to being my favourite after I actually spent a couple games giving it a go. I'm never going back to mindlessly making GBS threads out spiders. The damage on it is pretty insane even when you don't factor in that you can also land a heavy attack just before exploding it. It does burst damage and also applies a DoT and stacking it with your other two DoT's is a loving hilarious amount of damage. If you've been avoiding mimic I highly recommend giving it a go.

I'm never skilling that loving spider ever again.

Since you said this I tried playing a couple rounds by focusing on Mimic and I still think it sucks, sorry. I mean, I still won both of those games but not as hard as I when when I go Acid Spit and Spider Trap. It's such an awkward skill to use and fucks with your momentum a lot.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Boing posted:

Since you said this I tried playing a couple rounds by focusing on Mimic and I still think it sucks, sorry. I mean, I still won both of those games but not as hard as I when when I go Acid Spit and Spider Trap. It's such an awkward skill to use and fucks with your momentum a lot.

Well, he's saying how much he hates spider trap, so that should clue you in on the general quality of his opinions and advice.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ahhhhh now I get it

http://steamcommunity.com/app/273350/discussions/0/353915309352032228/

Well, it's a MONTHLY punchcard, so it resets when a new MONTH starts. And it was possible to get everything if you started logging in from the day Stage 2 came out - I got everything.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Well, he's saying how much he hates spider trap, so that should clue you in on the general quality of his opinions and advice.

Well first I avoided it because I just wanted to try something new but it's just a straight up fact that mimic is better than the spider trap. The spider is effortlessly killed by any half decent hunter team, at least with banshee mines you get 3 and they become invulnerable when activated, meanwhile the spider is a very obvious projectile that can be killed while it's still in the ground. With mimic you have a chance for some counterplay (although it's still rough against a good team like basically any monster tactic is)

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I'm starting to lose all desire to play. It was a fun ride though.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

I'm starting to lose all desire to play. It was a fun ride though.

You can't stop now, they just released Quantum Ciara with the latest patch!

Another pretty neat somewhat unexpected feature is that if you pick "Training", every hunter and perk is fully unlocked. While the bots don't give the greatest measurement of how a perk will perform, it helps!

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
You get 250 keys for doing each of the new "advanced" tutorials, so it's an easy 1k, you know, if anyone is still playing this dumb gay dead game (like I am)

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Like a few others here, I bought a founder's pack on a shady reseller so I could play this dumb dead game quicker and worser. I'm an unreliable gamer these days, but you might find me playing this online!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ETankSkank/

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I too am one of the few that still wants to play this game. Because it's a good game damnit. :colbert:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Phorrum

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

As I thought, new and improved EMET feels super good. Slap those class cooldown perks on him and enjoy the higher heals while also pretty much negating the higher cooldown.

Also OGoliath is actually worth considering against Meaty now! That boulder splash damage is some "Rocks fall, everyone dies" poo poo.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 4, 2016

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The changes to preferences mean that when I play solo basically means I'm stuck as monster. I just cannot stand playing monster that much so I'm really limited on when I get to play Evolve.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ularg posted:

The changes to preferences mean that when I play solo basically means I'm stuck as monster. I just cannot stand playing monster that much so I'm really limited on when I get to play Evolve.

Looks like they only changed how the slots get filled when people leave, seems like it makes it easier for me to play hunter now. You used to have to exit out if someone bailed, now it searches for 1 more player. I actually play more hunter now, where I used to stick to monster because I didn't have to deal with idiots leaving right before the game starts.

e: the unlock everything to try in solo is cool too

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 4, 2016

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
This game is fun. It's a loving annoyance you don't earn credits after the first like 2 custom games, because I have no desire to play with strangers. Just let me play in my 5 stack! :argh:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Hey if anyone here needs more people to play Evolve with I'd love to join. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Phorrum Just lemme know on Steam when you want to go.

In other news I don't like Emets gun. It lacks a cool factor to it beyond being a laser pointer for a hand. There just isn't a satisfying feedback when I fire, I'd rather fire each missile out individually and have the finger open up and pull back each time. Also would like his hand to move when running.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
I like the style of it, but Emet is the last character to need a passive weapon. If his healing beacons aren't getting destroyed as soon as he puts them down he doesn't have a whole lot to do aside from point his pistol fingas at the monster.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mister Bup posted:

I like the style of it, but Emet is the last character to need a passive weapon. If his healing beacons aren't getting destroyed as soon as he puts them down he doesn't have a whole lot to do aside from point his pistol fingas at the monster.

That's the thing though, emet's beacons are always being destroyed, they simply don't last and honest the best thing to do is toss his beacons like healing grenades. His weapon is good because you just need to get one hit on the monster and then you can switch back to beacons while your missiles go to town.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I never really get to use Emet's weapons anyway cause I'm constantly throwing healing buoys.

Also there seems to be this undocumented bug where the Emet healing buoys have a pushback effect, launching pubbies away from wherever the buoys are placed leading to no healing being possible. Weird how it only seems to affect pubbies and not premade groups. /s

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Grognan/

If anyone wants to group up and hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taiso
Feb 20, 2002

Crush them now!
I heard there is another update coming in a week where they fully remove the hunters weapons and replace them with rocks and pointy sticks.

• Locked thread