Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

widespread posted:

I remember in 4U where Teo inflicted the Blast element. THAT was a bit worse.

Uh, he still does that in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Make sure they're eating from the blue mushrooms as well. Also don't harvest all the blue mushrooms like I did, resulting in confused ants. You can also just push them toward the blue mushrooms to make things go a little faster.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Yeah, thanks. I tried again without my cats and pushed the ants toward the blue nodes. It went a lot more smoothly but I still got more stomachs and Insect Fluids than I did mushrooms. What a bad mission.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
That's weird, I beat that mission the first time with no trouble. Guess I got good RNG

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

How do I unlock the Village 5* Astalos quest? It's not coming up.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

EightFlyingCars posted:

How do I unlock the Village 5* Astalos quest? It's not coming up.

It's part of Kokoto's questline

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Allarion posted:

It's part of Kokoto's questline

Noooo I don't WANNA do the egg quest

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Do the loving egg quest, shinji hunter

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

EightFlyingCars posted:

Noooo I don't WANNA do the egg quest

Make the Loc Lac armor set and eat for Felyne Lander. The quest itself takes like 3 min.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Ojetor posted:

Make the Loc Lac armor set and eat for Felyne Lander. The quest itself takes like 3 min.

Thankfully I had a Transporter +7 talisman and a couple of decorations that I could slap on. I was done in five minutes, I just

ugh

egg quests

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Thankfully I had a Transporter +7 talisman and a couple of decorations that I could slap on. I was done in five minutes, I just

ugh

egg quests

Yeah, egg quests can be rear end in a top hat if they get to that state. But usually it's just Loc Lac and Felyne Lander.

Now Powderstones...

Infinity Gaia posted:

Uh, he still does that in this one.

... Oh. :shepface:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I just smacked Glavenus right down out of his jumping attack with my hammer and killed him the very hit after. I LOVE MONSTER HUNTER.

That ending really is something... unexpected.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

EightFlyingCars posted:

I just smacked Glavenus right down out of his jumping attack with my hammer and killed him the very hit after. I LOVE MONSTER HUNTER.

No-selling monsters in some way is always the best part of the game. My favorite is when I made Glavenus flinch out of his giant gently caress you tail spin with a charge blade red shield adept guard. :getin:

(My second favorite is getting Enraged Guard as Lance off of the same attack. Basically, loving clowning on Glavenus is a lot of fun :v:)

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Oh geez I did that with a seregios earlier tonight. He was charging in with that stupid shrieky sideways kick and I slapped him out of the air like Kobe with my GL blast dash.

No, you knife lizard, you SIT down.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

No-selling monsters in some way is always the best part of the game. My favorite is when I made Glavenus flinch out of his giant gently caress you tail spin with a charge blade red shield adept guard. :getin:

(My second favorite is getting Enraged Guard as Lance off of the same attack. Basically, loving clowning on Glavenus is a lot of fun :v:)

it's been six years and i still haven't gotten tired of hail mary commiting to a dumb golfswing and nail the jerk mid-attack in the head for the kill

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Basically I wish I were skilled enough at Monhun in general to be able to gotcha bitch everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9NYYewCSxo

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Meldonox posted:

Let's say I wanna try getting pokey or blasty. Assuming lances/gunlances are in good shape in Gen, can someone give me a quick and dirty basic "make this, take this style and art(s), kill this and see how you like it"?

Kinda hard to do cause lance/ gunlance can be divided into two different schools, guard or evade. Additionally, gunlance comes in 3 different flavours of normal, long and wide shot types. These shot types are specialized in certain attacks and do better in different styles. I'll try though for a quick and dirty look.

Evade lance:
Style = striker
Defining skills = evade + and/or evade up
Lance = brachydios (slime goes well with lance)
Arts = guard enrage, rest to taste but an evasion one is nice.
Monster = Nargacuga (easy timings), Zinogre works too. Plesioth if you are ballsy.

Guard lance:
Style = adept
Defining skills = guard + and/or guard up
Lance = brachydios
Arts = guard enrage
Monster: Nargacuga, Tigrex is another option. Brachydios if you are ballsy.

Gunlance:
Style = adept (aerial with a normal gun is fun though)
Defining skill = guard + and/or guard up
Gunlance: something with long shots like Brachydios (no penalties, forgiving range).
Arts = dragon blast but totally negotiable.
Monster = Nargacuga, Tigrex, Agnanktor is another option.

You can totally run evade gunlance, just change skills accordingly. Striker may be a better style for this. What defines evade lance also works for gunlance. Gunlance is less forgiving on positioning though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Infinity Gaia posted:

He's the most dangerous of the four old-school LR elder dragons, in my opinion. Kirin is just a dumb lightning kelbidrome, Kushala is a joke if you bring any sort of poison and Chameleos is just dumb easy. At least Teo has his supernova.

I still can't believe they put Chameleos in this game but not Fatalis.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They put Alatreon in for their "big ultimate endgame dragon" monster. Which I personally prefer since I like Alatreon a lot but find Fatalis and its kin really boring, conceptually and all. Like, they're just dragons, but they're the strongest and most deadly and so on. They're like the least-interesting MH endgame monsters.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

EightFlyingCars posted:

I know this is a serious that (generally) hates change, but it NEEDS a replay feature. It's a game full of "holy poo poo, what did I just do?" moments that need to be shared.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I don't understand how so many people think that Gammoth is the easiest of the Fated Four. I can roll all over Astalos, Mizutsune, and Glavenus no problem, but ask me too fight Gammoth and I'm probably going to cart eventually. Maybe it's her sheer size and strength that throw me off; I can't consistently dodge anything she does.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Squidtentacle posted:

I don't understand how so many people think that Gammoth is the easiest of the Fated Four. I can roll all over Astalos, Mizutsune, and Glavenus no problem, but ask me too fight Gammoth and I'm probably going to cart eventually. Maybe it's her sheer size and strength that throw me off; I can't consistently dodge anything she does.

People do?? Mizutsune is a cakewalk, but that rear-up-180-stomp of Gammoth has caught me too many times.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah Gammoth is always the flagship I don't want to fight. The front attacks are all easy but I get caught in that move where he bathes in his snow storm all the time, and then you get stomped cause who brings cleansers gawd

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I keep hearing that Gammoth is the easiest and least popular. Maybe with aerial she's easier, but with adept it's so hard to see what she's doing and time it accurately.

Least I'm almost at Nakarkos now. Super excited for that guy.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Thank you! I'm going to try this out right now.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Roland Jones posted:

They're like the least-interesting MH endgame monsters.

When this is a universe that Shen Gaoren and Lao Shan Lung have not existed in, and if in that universe the Fatalis triplets didn't get updated in that universes' version of MH4/U, I might agree with you. But then we still have the Mohrans.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 31, 2016

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Squidtentacle posted:

I keep hearing that Gammoth is the easiest and least popular. Maybe with aerial

Aerial Hammer makes Gammoth your literal bitch. :black101:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Gammoth's big advantage his his ability to turn quickly and then hit his new front with an attack, which is bad because he's real real big. But aerial lets you circle strafe him with powerful attacks and he just gives up and dies.

Granted, I have no idea how you're supposed to cut that trunk off.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Yeah Aerial styles in general absolutely chump Gammoth, he's my favourite of the four to fight. I even managed to try out Adept DB against him and not get absoltely massacred, though it took longer than the usual GS/Hammer/IG runs against him. Slowly building all the flagship weapons, really want to get to HR so I can make Gammoth S armor, I love the Winter Knight look.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Mystic Mongol posted:

Granted, I have no idea how you're supposed to cut that trunk off.

It's just a break, actually. I did that this morning with LS. Since it's a weak spot it's good to hit anyway, and when she's mounted or does the trunk slam you have a great opening to wail on it. Otherwise it's definitely a pain to hit with her moving around so much.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ignimbrite posted:

When this is a universe that Shen Gaoren has not existed in, and if in that universe the Fatalis triplets didn't get updated in that universes' version of MH4/U, I might agree with you.

Thematically/conceptually, is what I mean. Shen is at least a massive, freakishly long-legged hermit crab wearing the skull of Godzilla. Fatalis is just "the best dragon".

Edit: Quoted pre-edit then set my phone down for a while before posting and missed the edit. Too lazy to edit the edited post in. The Mohrans are neat conceptually too, though, on the topic of them.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 31, 2016

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I've always liked the Fatalises in a thematic sense. When every other monster is so creative, it feels like it makes them unique that they're the "generic" castle-conquering four-legged dragons they are. Plus White Fatalis brought us one of the absolute best songs in the series, so I give him slack.

Conversely Alatreon is an interesting concept, but the execution feels...not as impactful to me. Equipment is awesome, though.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
You guys were right, the ending really is....something.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

pnumoman posted:

You guys were right, the ending really is....something.

It's the best because the entire time the Berhna gal is thinking up ways to boost tourism.

What better way than a cheesy music video?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Ignimbrite posted:

When this is a universe that Shen Gaoren and Lao Shan Lung have not existed in, and if in that universe the Fatalis triplets didn't get updated in that universes' version of MH4/U, I might agree with you. But then we still have the Mohrans.

I like the Mohrans :( There's something about the boat fight and climbing all over them to smash on weak points that's fun to me.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They just take too long, if they were shorter then I'd like them.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Hoo boy, last time I fought Plesioth was MH3U, and I cheesed it with an overpowered lance. This jerk for my HR5 urgent is a real butt. I thought hip check jokes were funny, but then it happened to me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Meldonox posted:

Hoo boy, last time I fought Plesioth was MH3U, and I cheesed it with an overpowered lance. This jerk for my HR5 urgent is a real butt. I thought hip check jokes were funny, but then it happened to me.

Aerial Style and something with an overhead swing or just jump into the legs.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I was kind of looking forward to finding what everyone in the thread was being coy about but thanks for completely spoiling it I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Aerial style blows on Plesioth

• Locked thread