Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Celery Face posted:

Why do people hate fighting Nibelsnarf? He's actually really fun. I can see why a gunner would hate him though.

You answered your own question

also monsters that hide from you are bullshit, come fight me 1v1

same reason cephadrome sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Celery Face posted:

Why do people hate fighting Nibelsnarf? He's actually really fun. I can see why a gunner would hate him though.

He takes too long

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if nibelsnarf doesn't spend 90% of the fight on his back you're not doing it right

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

if nibelsnarf doesn't spend 90% of the fight on his back you're not doing it right

Which is still boring.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
*looks at Gore Magala* Buddy, all I want are three more of your feelers. I appreciate you giving me two plates, but I have two more glaives that want your stupid horns. The deal is, I break your horns, you drop your feelers. Stop rescinding on your end of the arrangement.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SilverGryphon posted:

*looks at Gore Magala* Buddy, all I want are three more of your feelers. I appreciate you giving me two plates, but I have two more glaives that want your stupid horns. The deal is, I break your horns, you drop your feelers. Stop rescinding on your end of the arrangement.

have you considered not using glaives if you want feelers

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Celery Face posted:

Because he has the Kushala problem of being incredibly obnoxious to fight without a very specific counter to his bullshit.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I need to know if I got super lucky what did everyone get for their first charm from the blacksmith? I got gathering +10 and kind of lost my poo poo.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Haruharuharuko posted:

I need to know if I got super lucky what did everyone get for their first charm from the blacksmith? I got gathering +10 and kind of lost my poo poo.

The first freebie charm that the game gives you? It's always Gathering +10.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Electric Lady posted:

The first freebie charm that the game gives you? It's always Gathering +10.

Damnit

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Because he has the Kushala problem of being incredibly obnoxious to fight without a very specific counter to his bullshit.

Kushula dies to a sneeze though.

So does Rusted kushula but it can gently caress off though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I feel bad whenever somebody mentions Kushala being a pushover (which he is) since one of my earliest formative memories of Monster Hunter was tackling one in MHFU completely undergeared and unprepared and just barely pulling off the repel within the time limit

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

dragon enthusiast posted:

I feel bad whenever somebody mentions Kushala being a pushover (which he is) since one of my earliest formative memories of Monster Hunter was tackling one in MHFU completely undergeared and unprepared and just barely pulling off the repel within the time limit

Going melee in a game where you couldn't do anything aerial at all made Kushala incredibly frustrating to fight. If you didn't have poison or a dragon weapon to break its head, you were probably hosed. It's still something to be proud of for your first try!

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Hey folks,

So upfront; first monster hunter ever. Holy poo poo, there is so much depth in a portable game! I've gone from Charge Blade to Insect Glaive and now I'm settling on Heavy Bowgun (Eyes on hunting horn) for now, my question is how do you guys keep up with well done steaks? I feel like I'd have to plop down 3 mins every hunt to fill up and there's not really any time for that during a hunt, especially online!

What do you veterans do?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Rations are usually enough early on and after a bit more you can unlock the ability to have the chefs prepare them for you

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Amazing Member posted:

Hey folks,

So upfront; first monster hunter ever. Holy poo poo, there is so much depth in a portable game! I've gone from Charge Blade to Insect Glaive and now I'm settling on Heavy Bowgun (Eyes on hunting horn) for now, my question is how do you guys keep up with well done steaks? I feel like I'd have to plop down 3 mins every hunt to fill up and there's not really any time for that during a hunt, especially online!

What do you veterans do?

Once you advance far enough in the single player you get a service with the chef cats to cook multiples at a time for Wycademy Points, at least you did in 4U, think it's carried over.

Basically don't really bother about stocking up on them now, horde raw meats you get from random sources then just cook them in big lots at once.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Amazing Member posted:

Hey folks,

What do you veterans do?

You will eventually unlock the rife roast feature at the bistro that will allow you to hand over 10 raw meat or fish for cooking by the end of your next mission. Eventually your food options will allow you to enter most hunts with nearly max stamina bar size, which cuts down the rate of necessary meat consumption to where rations will usually carry you through the hunt, even in high rank. If your meat supply fails, make energy drinks until some harvest tour runs remeat you with mission rewards. Or you could meat dupe, if you're online.

e:f,b

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Amazing Member posted:

Hey folks,

What do you veterans do?

I eat maybe once every 10-20 hunts

always eat at the cat chef before hunts and you'll start with bonus health and stamina
eat for Feline Foodie as the skill and you'll retain the bonuses even in death

HBG owns, HH owns, you have good taste in weaponry.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amazing Member posted:

Hey folks,

What do you veterans do?

As stated, rations and hoarding early, having the bistro cook it for you later. Also some meals, eating before hunts is important, both for stats (health and whatever other thing you boost, I prefer attack most of the time) and the skills they give.

Also if you go back to the glaive, I wrote some advice on it earlier in the thread for another person new to it. It's a great weapon that's actually pretty easy to play, but there are a few things you need to know, plus a lot of lesser things that help.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Also if you go back to the glaive, I wrote some advice on it earlier in the thread for another person new to it. It's a great weapon that's actually pretty easy to play, but there are a few things you need to know, plus a lot of lesser things that help.

Oh, I watched every weapon tutorial by Gaijin Hunter and learned as much as I could about the kinsect, and how the buff mechanic works. I built an Altair(sp?) and went full speed bug upgraded into the white buff + speed. Basically, I try digesting so much info before jumping on the next thing. HBG just has so many ammo variants, though mostly I've boiled down my ammo decisions to "If I use pierce 3 can I get 3+ hits off? Yes? Pierce 3. Out of Pierce 3 or can't hit 3+? Pierce 2...Etc"

Now I just need a recoil down and reload speed up armor set!

Also, thanks Mortimer!

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 4, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Instead of meat you can also use energy drinks which double as a counter to sleep.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mortimer posted:

same reason cephadrome sucks

Cephadrome kind of sucks, but at least you can read where to sonic bomb. Nibelsnarf is like "lol im burrowed you dont know where i am oh you just wasted another sonic bomb and now i hit you because of the windup"

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Amazing Member posted:

Hey folks,

What do you veterans do?

Been addressed a bunch, but I'll add -

Rascyc posted:

Instead of meat you can also use energy drinks which double as a counter to sleep.

Dammit, beaten.

But seriously.

-Rations are usually enough to cover an entire hunt. If you're having serious problems with stamina, maybe you're forgetting hot drinks in cold environments? A lot of hunts can drag on while you're still learning the ropes. It'll even out.
-Check the cook options at the fondue table. Should be an option at the bottom to cook meat/fish for you.
-Need meat? A lot of the cat kill X# quests seem to reward raw meat. Give those a whirl? Kill and carve Bullfango is dumb, but it's meat.
-Energy Drinks - they resort as much as rare meat, half as much as well-done. Bonus, they counter sleep if you hit them before the sleep finally takes effect. Relatively cheap, Nitroshroom+Honey.
-Dash Juice. Although this doesn't really help with the meats (it uses them), Dash and Mega Dash Juice are loving rad. Dash Juice is cheap and helps you get rid of the Rare Steaks you might otherwise not use.
EDIT: - Halve Hunger/Negate Hunger armor skills can mitigate or eliminate the need to eat at all. It isn't very recommended, but if for some odd reason you just find not having max stamina really frustrating, as is usually the case with things that annoy people in Monster Hunter - there is an armor skill for that.

Personally, just stick with Energy Drinks. I prefer to use meats for tainted/tinged/drugged bait for the odd monsters that are hungry hippos.

The White Dragon posted:

Cephadrome kind of sucks, but at least you can read where to sonic bomb. Nibelsnarf is like "lol im burrowed you dont know where i am oh you just wasted another sonic bomb and now i hit you because of the windup"
You can actually bait Snarf with sonics. If you have dropped a barrel bomb or something, instead of trying to shock the thing out of the sand, throw the sonic over the bombs, and DON'T MOVE; it will track your movement if you do. The sonic on the other hand will lure it over to eating the bombs. Nibelsnarf is great. Everyone really needs to relax and learn that it is one of the best hunts in the entire series.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 5, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just saw a glaive user with Blunt, Mind's Eye and Knockout King. Blunt doesn't make bladed weapons do KO damage does it? I guess he could be using a blunt insect and knocking monster out that way but hahaha no.

SilverGryphon posted:

Eh. Kiran glaive tops out at 170 raw, 42 Thunder, +23 defense, and a sliver of white over a decent chunk of blue. Astalos glaive tops out at 180 raw, 26 Thunder, and a 20% affinity boost with a pretty long chunk of white over a slightly shorter chunk of blue, though, so unless you reeaaaally want to push the elemental damage and boost your defense I would say your better option is the Astalos glaive. You can also fight Astalos much earlier than Kiran.

I'm making like all of the glaives myself so I will likely wind up with both in my arsenal, but my Astalos glaive is already seeing a lot of use.

The Kirin glaive looks so awesome though!

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, I really wish Clockwork returned. It and the Poogie horn were both amazing and deserve to be in a game where they can actually be endgame-worthy.

Poogie horn broke my heart. It wasn't even late-low rank-worthy.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Blunt gives extra attack based on your weapon sharpness (about 15 for green, 20 for yellow, 30 for orange)

Depends what glaive he was using - if it was one with a good long green, it was probably just a cheaper attack up M kind of boost.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Moon Monster posted:

I just saw a glaive user with Blunt, Mind's Eye and Knockout King. Blunt doesn't make bladed weapons do KO damage does it? I guess he could be using a blunt insect and knocking monster out that way but hahaha no.

Blunt/Bludgeoner does extra damage for low-sharpness weapons. It has nothing to do with cutting/blunt damage and Knockout King is not at all useful for a glaive, but it's a good skill if you want to use something like the Ukanlos or first Nakarkos glaive. Mind's Eye is necessary (or, you know, at least really useful) with it, though, since the glaive's myriad buffs do not include that particular ability.

So, yeah. First two make sense and are good, last one is baffling.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Skippy Granola posted:

Blunt gives extra attack based on your weapon sharpness (about 15 for green, 20 for yellow, 30 for orange)

Depends what glaive he was using - if it was one with a good long green, it was probably just a cheaper attack up M kind of boost.

Yeah I know why he had blunt, I was more wondering about why he had knockout king.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Squidtentacle posted:

Going melee in a game where you couldn't do anything aerial at all made Kushala incredibly frustrating to fight. If you didn't have poison or a dragon weapon to break its head, you were probably hosed. It's still something to be proud of for your first try!

Sniping Kusha with Super Pounds as hammer was extremely my poo poo, ever since MHFU. I remember I managed to kill a G rank Kusha solo before it ran in FU simply because I was bonking it on the head so hard.

One of the tricks with hammer though is it makes you immune to his wind bullshit (well, at least when he's not got his black wind up but that's when you flashbomb him out of the sky or poison him) :v:

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Poogie horn were both amazing and deserve to be in a game where they can actually be endgame-worthy.
Beat the monsters to death with the Poog horn with no survivors! :black101:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FYI, the award for filling out your combo list only requires you make "a majority" of all possible combinations aka you don't have to do the armor stone or slick axe combos.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
When is it recommended to start hunting online? My first experience was with Tri on Wii and while I got pretty good with the hammer I burned out around Rathalos. Bugs are rad so I guess I'm giving the insect staff a try?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

When is it recommended to start hunting online? My first experience was with Tri on Wii and while I got pretty good with the hammer I burned out around Rathalos. Bugs are rad so I guess I'm giving the insect staff a try?

you should hop in the discord channel. We are all awesome and you can get all kinds of help with whatever you need.

I'm also interested in doing lower level stuff because I'm trying to learn how to use bows after using LS through HR50. It's my first MonHun, so every weapon is totally new to me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I'd go as soon as you sort of get the hang of whatever weapon you're using. Maybe make a decent LR armor set first, although the one you start with is good enough for 1 star quests at least.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Start whenever you want.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I hopped into online after crafting my first armor set, haven't looked back since. VIllage quests get tedious with all the gathering and whatnot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is it just me or are the deviant armours way more trouble than they are worth? I'm working on Silverwind right now, and the process is like: you have to beat each step three times in order to get 5 tickets, by the end you will have fought the same loving monster like 50+ times, it's pretty ridiculous.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FireWorksWell posted:

I hopped into online after crafting my first armor set, haven't looked back since. VIllage quests get tedious with all the gathering and whatnot.

I will say that jump after finishing the story and immediately the game gives you all the old flagship monsters for you to hunt somewhat astounded me. MHGen's progression isn't exactly the best, where it frontloads all the gathering quests. Nice that V5 and V6 essentially have no gathering at all though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

Is it just me or are the deviant armours way more trouble than they are worth? I'm working on Silverwind right now, and the process is like: you have to beat each step three times in order to get 5 tickets, by the end you will have fought the same loving monster like 50+ times, it's pretty ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is that we have no deviant Nibelsnarf.

In all honesty I get what you're saying, and it's a pain in the rear end to get a lobby going because randoms will just pop in and post their own quest. And if you do their quest instead, most of the time they log off immediately afterwards. I don't think the armor sets are worth it (I'm pining for Crystalbeard though), but I think each deviant monster has at least one good weapon to go for.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i've gone through 2 deviants and i don't think i've ever seen pubs just run in and post. in fact i regularly have to prompt them to do it. just put the level of the quest you're on in the name of the room and things usually work out in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

lets hang out posted:

i've gone through 2 deviants and i don't think i've ever seen pubs just run in and post. in fact i regularly have to prompt them to do it. just put the level of the quest you're on in the name of the room and things usually work out in my experience.

Man, I feel like I get the worst luck in this game concerning pubbies.

• Locked thread