Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Lot of optimism in the thread lately, it doesn't feel right.

allow me to help restore balance:

the White Sox

e: poo poo what a garbage snype uhhhh have this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is Warwick Saupold a real person?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

seiferguy posted:

The Rockies really need to be in the AL, because they need a fat dude playing DH to sock more dingers in that silly ballpark.

I think Arizona needs to be in the AL, too. They have a habit of acquiring DH's so just let them have one.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've been away for a bit and need to be caught up to speed, sorry: What's up with A-Rod? Is this finally the end

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Rand alPaul posted:

I think Arizona needs to be in the AL, too. They have a habit of acquiring DH's so just let them have one.

Arizona has had some decent hitting pitchers

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Chris James 2 posted:

I've been away for a bit and need to be caught up to speed, sorry: What's up with A-Rod? Is this finally the end

I don't know if he has been hurt, but he is probably toast. I don't know if he will get enough playing time to get another 4 home runs to hit 700, but I can't imagine he is even worth the roster spot anymore. He hit 2 HR in each of June and July.

There has been speculation as to whether or not the Yankees will release him or if he'll make it to expanded rosters in September.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It feels nice that the Rangers are not the only first place team to get inexplicably and viciously cornholed by the Twins this year

I think the M's were in first or maybe just a couple of games back when the Twins swept them. Fuckin' baseball.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Angels got swept by the 0-9 Twins, at the time the Angels were 5-4 and leading the ALW.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

I don't know if he has been hurt, but he is probably toast. I don't know if he will get enough playing time to get another 4 home runs to hit 700, but I can't imagine he is even worth the roster spot anymore. He hit 2 HR in each of June and July.

There has been speculation as to whether or not the Yankees will release him or if he'll make it to expanded rosters in September.
The Yankees sold at the deadline and have less than a 5% chance to make even the wild card. They should probably keep playing the ageing superstar who's on the verge of a historic home run milestone for the marketing value. Why should they care about wins this August? Unless ARod is blocking a young player from getting important development time at the MLB level, keep playing him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mr. Fix It posted:

I think the M's were in first or maybe just a couple of games back when the Twins swept them. Fuckin' baseball.

Yeah, the Ms were in first by a couple of games and got swept by the Twins at the end of May. The Rangers overtook them, Felix went on the DL and now they're floundering just over .500

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

28-18 and in first at the start of that series. Most importantly and not totally due to circumstance - the series started on May27th, which is basically June and gently caress June every year. By June 27th they were 38-38, and 11 games out.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

The Yankees sold at the deadline and have less than a 5% chance to make even the wild card. They should probably keep playing the ageing superstar who's on the verge of a historic home run milestone for the marketing value. Why should they care about wins this August? Unless ARod is blocking a young player from getting important development time at the MLB level, keep playing him.

Because he and management hate each other.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Sergio Romo is the first pitcher since Alan Embree in 2009 to win a game without officially facing a batter. Came in with two outs and got a Caught Stealing.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

A historic home run for a historically hated player of 90% of MLB's fanbase, including his own team's front office. I'm not sure how much they consider the marketing value of his #700 based on their trying to void those bonuses. How much marketing did they put in the celebrate his 3000th hit last year?

I don't think they'll release him (and Cashman actually just said today they don't have any plans to) but I don't think he'll get the playing time to hit another 4HRs at his current pace. He hit 4 HR in his last 150ABs (40 games). I guess it'll be close. Normally the train of thought on losing teams is to "let the kids play" but I guess the exact opposite can happen.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Did he ever get his milestone bonus or did the Yankees successfully freeze him out on that for damaging his marketing value?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I know why the Yankees might cut ARod, I'm just saying that the argument he doesn't deserve a roster spot is pretty weak.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Yankees should probably do a deal with ARod where they let him play and try for another 4 HRs with the understanding he retires. He gets to trot out for the next few months and do a farewell tour for the 5 guys who care about him, he gets a little extra money if he can hit 4, and no one has to worry about him riding pine next year.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The Phillies march to relevance continues as Jake Thompson is set to make his MLB debut Saturday against the Padres.

2019 World Champions! :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

I want to see A-Rod get to 700, but he is actually blocking prospects at this point even if just by taking up a spot on the roster.

Goodpancakes posted:

The Yankees should probably do a deal with ARod where they let him play and try for another 4 HRs with the understanding he retires. He gets to trot out for the next few months and do a farewell tour for the 5 guys who care about him, he gets a little extra money if he can hit 4, and no one has to worry about him riding pine next year.

This is probably the most likely, but they also specifically said they called up Sanchez to hit LHP, which means A-Rod has absolutely no defined role now except "Well gently caress, pinch hit him and maybe he'll hit a homer?" If they bring him back next year it will be indefensible, honestly.

Intruder posted:

Did he ever get his milestone bonus or did the Yankees successfully freeze him out on that for damaging his marketing value?

I'm 99% sure the team dropped their complaint and paid him.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 4, 2016

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I mean, A-Rod gets poo poo on for the steroid stuff (by fans who somehow don't hate the guys on their own favorite team who used), but "historically hated"? Seriously?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The Pussy Boss posted:

I mean, A-Rod gets poo poo on for the steroid stuff (by fans who somehow don't hate the guys on their own favorite team who used), but "historically hated"? Seriously?

Opting out during the world series

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
N: Blue Jays to keep Aaron Sanchez as a starter for now in a 6-man rotation

V: :toot:

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
The Jays have reportedly changed their mind (at least for now - and presumably due to all of the backlash) and will not move Aaron Sanchez to the bullpen. They'll run with a 6 man rotation and skip the occasional start. Hell yes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Inspector_666 posted:

I want to see A-Rod get to 700, but he is actually blocking prospects at this point even if just by taking up a spot on the roster.

I'd say a DH doesn't block any real prospects, and whoever got that roster spot would be better served playing full time in the minors. At least up until that season ends.

The Pussy Boss posted:

I don't know if it's 90% but there are a ton of baseball fans who have hated ARod ever since he signed that deal with the Rangers. Sure they're dumb, but they exist.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hahaha well this is good but I am not excited for the questions to continue through his game 6 world series clinching complete game.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

The Pussy Boss posted:

Outside of this forum, I don't know anyone that likes A-Rod. What player has been hated as much as him? Both by other fan bases and his own? People hate him because he got paid all of the money twice. People hate him because of the steroids. People hate because he sued MLB/MLBPA. People hate him because he is a Yankee. People find tons of ways and reasons to hate him, justified or not.

Obviously I might be biased because he has hit more home runs against my team than any other.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MassaShowtime posted:

Hahaha well this is good but I am not excited for the questions to continue through his game 6 world series clinching complete game.

He will absolutely definitely 100% be relegated to a bullpen role by December.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

mentholmoose posted:

The Phillies march to relevance continues as Jake Thompson is set to make his MLB debut Saturday against the Padres.

2019 World Champions! :v:

Billy Nick when?????????

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Yankees should put a-rod in AAA and get some sweet gate revenue for the minors.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

It's the 23 year anniversary of Nolan Ryan and Robin Ventura saying hello to one another.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Four different players have been injured in their White sox debuts this season. That seems like a lot.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Grittybeard posted:

I'd say a DH doesn't block any real prospects, and whoever got that roster spot would be better served playing full time in the minors. At least up until that season ends.

Generally I would agree, but the Yankees have a big positional logjam in the OF and there are several guys in AAA beating the poo poo out of the ball who should get a chance to do it with the ML team at this point since they need to make a decision on a lot of them this off-season.

The issue isn't just A-Rod, it's also Teixeira, but Tex at least still has real value in the field. A-Rod is a full-time DH who the team has pretty much admitted can't hit anymore.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I'll be honest. I used to hate A-Rod and I don't even remember why. I think because the Braves had the second highest offer for him after the Rangers, but I'm even fuzzy on that.

Having said that, I LOVE him now, for the sheer fact that he's a weirdo who trolled MLB and probably made Bud Selig furious on a daily basis. And for that, he is aces in my book.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Steve Cishek to the DL with a torn labrum.

Also,

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/761355930441244672

Damaged goods!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

seiferguy posted:

Steve Cishek to the DL with a torn labrum.

Also,

https://twitter.com/danconnolly2016/status/761355930441244672

Damaged goods!

Nah, he took a liner off the foot. He finished the inning, but he got pulled after that.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Billy Nick when?????????

My guess is when rosters expand, or possibly next season. His batting line doesn't scream for a promotion before hand, and the Phillies don't really have an absolute need for an OF right now, particularly with my new favorite Phillie, Aaron Altherr, getting healthy and back on the field.

Same with J.P. Crawford and Andrew Knapp, I think. All three of those guys will get cups of coffee in September if the Phils add them to the 40 man roster before the season ends. If not, then they'll all have a chance to make the big league team out of Spring Training.

e: More Phillies minor league news for those who might care. Dylan Cozens and Rhys Hoskins both have hit 2 homers for Reading tonight, putting them at 32 and 33 respectively on the season. The person in third throughout the entirety of the minors - somebody named Daniel Palka - only has 26.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 5, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Daniel Palka is the guy the Diamondbacks gave us for Chris Parmalee I think

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Astros score 5 runs in a 4 game series with the Blue Jays. Way to go guys

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Blue Jays strike out 61 times in 4 games. Win series 3-1.

Okay, sure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
wrong thread

elentar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 5, 2016

• Locked thread