Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Gone Home didn't have a 13 year old sex workers who loves their job and is a reference to the titular lolita, so Gone Home is automatically a better game than VA-11 HALL-A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

dmboogie posted:

It's been long enough that I can't remember the line-to-line quality of the writing but where Gone Home really excelled was actually creating a lived-in-home, imo. There were a shitton of tiny, subtle details that really helped with the characterization of the family, especially the way that each of them kinda had their "own" sections of the house. It's a lot of what I liked about Life is Strange, too.

also, lol

You act like house setup and decoration based on the character's lifestyle is somehow unique when its all been done before, it is practically standard stuff you find everywhere in games nowadays since rendering clutter is not as expensive as it was about a decade ago. It doesn't even require much effort to design since even modders that could only do house mods does it, even in the early days of morrowind.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Randomzx posted:

You act like house setup and decoration based on the character's lifestyle is somehow unique when its all been done before, it is practically standard stuff you find everywhere in games nowadays since rendering clutter is not as expensive as it was about a decade ago. It doesn't even require much effort to design since even modders that could only do house mods does it, even in the early days of morrowind.

Pack it in guys; Morrowind mods already did it. Nothing else can be done.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Pack it in guys; Morrowind mods already did it. Nothing else can be done.

way to miss the mark, the point is that designing place with characterizing details isn't complicated at all.
household clutter and scene was something you see alot even in the 2d dominant era, like in point-n-click adventure games.

Covok posted:

Gone Home didn't have a 13 year old sex workers who loves their job and is a reference to the titular lolita, so Gone Home is automatically a better game than VA-11 HALL-A.

Guess goons really do rate games based on sexuality preferences.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
This thread never ceases to amaze me.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Randomzx posted:

way to miss the mark, the point is that designing place with characterizing details isn't complicated at all.
household clutter and scene was something you see alot even in the 2d dominant era, like in point-n-click adventure games.

complication/originality has no relation towards how well something is executed. Gone Home isn't exactly the first game to use that concept but it still does it very well.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

dmboogie posted:

complication/originality has no relation towards how well something is executed. Gone Home isn't exactly the first game to use that concept but it still does it very well.

hardly well at all, especial since it need to plaster notes all the house, since apparently the entire household suffers from anterograde amnesia and need to have their own access restricted until they read what they wrote for their safety.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I have no opinion of Gone Home, as I've never played it and have no real desire to, but

Covok posted:

sums things up quite nicely.

Gigify posted:

Game reviews just don't seem worth reading these days to me. I don't click with any of them, and reviews are so bloated with pseudo-intellectual bullshit with increasingly little objective content relating to the actual game that they simply don't tell me anything about the game and how enjoyable it would be to me personally.
So they're like the old Current Releases feature but for video games instead of movies, and they're not just restricted to the front page of this website. And people wonder why video games don't get the same amount of respect as other forums of entertainment.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Randomzx posted:

hardly well at all, especial since it need to plaster notes all the house, since apparently the entire household suffers from anterograde amnesia and need to have their own access restricted until they read what they wrote for their safety.

Yes, indeed, why does any game bother to put notes or audio logs in?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I just noticed that there's a VN thread in Games and six posts in there is a Dorothy avatar. Excellent stuff.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Anoia posted:

Yes, indeed, why does any game bother to put notes or audio logs in?

i dont understand i just wanna fight the boss, why is this called a visual novel and its still talking at me???

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Haven't played Gone Home because it sounds really boring and all of the previews don't pique my interest at all.

I have played Firewatch though and I do agree that it's better than Vall Hall A. Similar high production values but the dialogue is way better (which is really important considering it's pretty much the meat of the game.) It has it's own problems and nitpicks.

Drakenel posted:

i dont understand i just wanna fight the boss, why is this called a visual novel and its still talking at me???

Who the heck is this shodan chick and why is she getting up in my grill while I blow up kamikaze zombie and hack some vending machines!?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I keep posting this in every thread where it comes up but what's good about Gone Home to my mind has nothing to do with the trite lesbian coming of age plot. What's really cool is the subtler side plots about your dad's writing, your parents' strained relationship and your great uncle the repentant but unforgiven child molester.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I do like how apparently you guys ran out of things to start drama with from VA-11 HALL-A so you immediately switched to starting drama with Gone Home, it's very economical

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

ManicVolcanic posted:

I do like how apparently you guys ran out of things to start drama with from VA-11 HALL-A so you immediately switched to starting drama with Gone Home, it's very economical

I appreciate the classics.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

HMS Boromir posted:

I keep posting this in every thread where it comes up but what's good about Gone Home to my mind has nothing to do with the trite lesbian coming of age plot. What's really cool is the subtler side plots about your dad's writing, your parents' strained relationship and your great uncle the repentant but unforgiven child molester.

I agree with this, the main plot was good, but what really made the game shine was all the side plots where it looked like your dad might being going all Shining on the family but oh no wait he just had unresolved personal issues he's working out successfully and other things like that where at first it seems like there's a lot of sinister/tragic stuff happening, but by the end, if you found all the clues, you end up learning that there was nothing wrong after all and you just got home at a really unfortunate moment when everyone was out at couples' therapy/eloping. It's some brilliant narrative sleight-of-hand, convincing you something's gone terribly wrong, only to reveal at the last moment that no, everything's actually fine but you still experienced a tense and interesting story despite that.

Also I'm sorry for my part in inadvertently summoning even worse people to the thread. Mea culpa.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Randomzx posted:

Guess goons really do rate games based on sexuality preferences.

Lol

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Y-Hat posted:

I just noticed that there's a VN thread in Games and six posts in there is a Dorothy avatar. Excellent stuff.

It's also the devs twitter picture, and a quick browse through their feed (don't do this) reveals that a significant part of it is them retweeting Dorothy fanart. That and someone who does ASMR streams of this game a bunch?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

ManicVolcanic posted:

I mean we could talk about how Dorothy almost had an actual orgasm on screen, but I think everyone who's going to realize that Dorothy is just targeted fetish-bait already has.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

The only thing we haven't covered in the thread yet is the irony of saying politics need to stay separate from video games when the top video game franchises all involve American soldiers fighting to protect American interests, with special guest appearances by Kevin Spacey.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

HMS Boromir posted:

:agreed: I found those plot points a lot more interesting, mostly because they required a little more searching I felt.

More searching in this game means I have to retry the same conversation again, but have to know what bad alcohol combination opens up the interesting dialogue.

Gigify
Jul 17, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

That is definitely the part of the game that hooked me, along with the characters being really well fleshed out. The game really hits the spot when you think about how it intentionally tries to make you, as both the player and the character, feel like a complete stranger coming back to the character's own home. Then the player slowly learns about the family in parallel with the character learning what's going on while they've been away and why it feels so tense in the house despite no one else being there.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There is nothing actually dangerous in the house of Gone Home, but the eerie ambiance still puts you on edge. It is a very well crafted atmosphere.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

GimmickMan posted:

There is nothing actually dangerous in the house of Gone Home, but the eerie ambiance still puts you on edge. It is a very well crafted atmosphere.

It also namedrops Sam Raimi's American Gothic at one point, which is a good way for pretty much anything to endear itself to me.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Anoia posted:

The only thing we haven't covered in the thread yet is the irony of saying politics need to stay separate from video games when the top video game franchises all involve American soldiers fighting to protect American interests, with special guest appearances by Kevin Spacey.
How accurately does that depict the actions seen in modern warfare?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zenithe posted:

It's also the devs twitter picture, and a quick browse through their feed (don't do this) reveals that a significant part of it is them retweeting Dorothy fanart.
They know who butters their bread, and they love it. Someone said they're a Venezuelan developer and their government just recently demanded that people work on collectivized farms or something, so maybe prepping for the inevitable famine would do them some good.

Anoia posted:

Don't forget Oliver North.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 3, 2016

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

:agreed: I found those plot points a lot more interesting, mostly because they required a little more searching I felt.

More searching in this game means I have to retry the same conversation again, but have to know what bad alcohol combination opens up the interesting dialogue.

I got too annoyed to go very far, but most of the unique dialogue bits I found were unlocked by going completely contrary to whatever was ordered.

Game design!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Day Six -Best Boss for child abuse memes

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Good to see Dana isn't just a boring collage of "total baddass over here" traits, but is also about as creepy as the rest of the people we've met so far.

Also we're only now in chapter 2? Of how many?! :suicide:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Good to see Dana isn't just a boring collage of "total baddass over here" traits, but is also about as creepy as the rest of the people we've met so far.

Also we're only now in chapter 2? Of how many?! :suicide:

Three. 1/3 done :toot:

I looked a lot more favourably on this day than the others until Shibbotech lowered my opinion of the internet again.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Zenithe posted:

Three. 1/3 done :toot:

I looked a lot more favourably on this day than the others until Shibbotech lowered my opinion of the internet again.
It should never have been that high to begin with. Examples: Rule 34, Rule 63, Pedobear, Skitty on Wailord Action.

I can see why someone might have thought this day would have been pivotal (it's the first major departure from the gameplay format) but it's not. It's setting up things.

Regarding dialogue choices, Vall Hall A's method of doing them feels more conductive to organically experiencing a story. Yes it's nebulous and non-defined, but that's the point. I find it far more engaging (in terms of player agency) than picking a phrase of words from several other phrases of words. Quite often what I actually want to say at one dialogue choice is several down the line because seriously, I've seen these plot threads before, I want to say the thing that would skip this entire mini-arc, but no, I can't. Oh boy it's a branch now I have to come back for 100% completion and ARGH.
Meanwhile, I actually get to insert my own thoughts with drink choice.

Finally, as someone who doesn't drink but frequently goes to dinners/social gatherings where people do (and is an observer/eavesdropper because of my lack of drinking,) Dana and Jill's conversation fits right in with the inane, boring and random conversations that people have when they get socially drunk. Even comparing it to your commentary. The pacing, tempo, and funnily enough, structure were pretty close.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

It should never have been that high to begin with. Examples: Rule 34, Rule 63, Pedobear, Skitty on Wailord Action.

I can see why someone might have thought this day would have been pivotal (it's the first major departure from the gameplay format) but it's not. It's setting up things.

Regarding dialogue choices, Vall Hall A's method of doing them feels more conductive to organically experiencing a story. Yes it's nebulous and non-defined, but that's the point. I find it far more engaging (in terms of player agency) than picking a phrase of words from several other phrases of words. Quite often what I actually want to say at one dialogue choice is several down the line because seriously, I've seen these plot threads before, I want to say the thing that would skip this entire mini-arc, but no, I can't. Oh boy it's a branch now I have to come back for 100% completion and ARGH.

Finally, as someone who doesn't drink but frequently goes to dinners/social gatherings where people do (and is an observer/eavesdropper because of my lack of drinking,) Dana and Jill's conversation fits right in with the inane, boring and random conversations that people have when they get socially drunk. Even comparing it to your commentary. The pacing, tempo, and funnily enough, structure were pretty close.

You have really boring friends. I stand by my assertion that people who like this game understand neither human interaction nor drinking.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's nice that the writer finally realized characters should affect each other, a third of the way into this game.

EponymousMrYar posted:

How does hiding your choices give you more agency, or let you add your own thoughts, or somehow make the branches more convenient? None of this makes sense.

quote:

I agree that Dana and Jill are just as inane, boring, and random as everyone else so far though :downsrim:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 5, 2016

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

quote:

It's pedophiles all the way down.

mods, namechange

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Really Pants posted:

It's nice that the writer finally realized characters should affect each other, a third of the way into this game.

As someone who enjoyed the game, I was rather bothered on how relatively slow it took for character relationships to start popping up. In fact I'd say the most notorious character will become far more complex and respectable on these next chapters, as their development and backstory reminds me of a consequence in Read Only Memories.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 5, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There's another bar called N1-RV Ann-A? How many of these bars are there?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's another bar called N1-RV Ann-A? How many of these bars are there?

Well, I decided to check Frommer's Guide to lovely Cyberpunk Land, and have located a few other notable bars:

-SH4-N-Grill-A

-X4-N4-D-U

-AV4-LO-N

-X1-BALB-A

-L-Door-AD-0

-4T-LAN-T1-S

Hope that improves your anime bar-hopping experience.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, I decided to check Frommer's Guide to lovely Cyberpunk Land, and have located a few other notable bars:

-SH4-N-Grill-A

-X4-N4-D-U

-AV4-LO-N

-X1-BALB-A

-L-Door-AD-0

-4T-LAN-T1-S

Hope that improves your anime bar-hopping experience.

We're all in X1-BALB-A here.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
712-UMP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm afraid I don't know what that one is.

• Locked thread