Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

So what would be some good stoner/doom pedals for electric guitar then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

nosophoros posted:

I use the Megalith on my guitar, which is the same one Al Cisneros uses (or used to at least) on his bass.

Also remember always tune down to drop C, or "man tuning" as Matt Pike calls it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

nosophoros posted:

EQ first and always, but also Blue Box and chain a few distortions.

Kvlt! posted:

I use the Megalith on my guitar, which is the same one Al Cisneros uses (or used to at least) on his bass.

Also remember always tune down to drop C, or "man tuning" as Matt Pike calls it.

The closest guitar I can reach tends to be in drop B, "girl tuning" :getin: (I don't love it but it's kind of my baby)

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

nosophoros posted:

I make my own. Fuzzes or fuzz sound-alikes the lot of them. Haven't properly recorded them yet, though. I have used a Big Muff, a Boss HM-2 and Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest and LSTR in the past.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Frank Caskelot posted:

I make my own. Fuzzes or fuzz sound-alikes the lot of them. Haven't properly recorded them yet, though. I have used a Big Muff, a Boss HM-2 and Black Arts Toneworks Black Forest and LSTR in the past.

HM-2 ---> Black Forest is the best combination I've found. That orange and black bastard is an excellent boost pedal.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Modded Proco Rat + Sunn and Sovtek heads for me.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ethan posted:

HM-2 ---> Black Forest is the best combination I've found. That orange and black bastard is an excellent boost pedal.

I'm imagining this combo and smiling like an idiot right now.

Boo me for selling my HM-2 some years ago.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Frank Caskelot posted:

I'm imagining this combo and smiling like an idiot right now.

Boo me for selling my HM-2 some years ago.

Black forest on the darkest depth setting and gain a bit above half, HM-2 all dimed with the high rolled off to get rid of the nasally whine. Perfection sir!

I was lucky enough to get a "broken" (dist knob broken off, can turn it with pliers haha) HM-2 for dirt cheap last year after regrettably selling my old one awhile ago. I missed it.

ethan fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 7, 2016

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Frank Caskelot posted:

How did you get into making your own? I've always liked the idea of doing that but don't know where to start.

I have a pedal called "Acapulco Gold", one knob, and it emulates the sound of a cranked Sunn Model T. It's my favorite pedal besides maybe the Wooly Mammoth.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
come say hi if you're at migration fest next weekend, im the portly dude with long hair and a black metal tee

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Kvlt! posted:

Pike uses standard C, rather than drop C, except on The Art Of Self Defense, where the guitars are tuned slightly flat for some reason.

The old Boss FZ-2 is pretty fun to mess around with, since it's pretty much early Electric Wizard in a box.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Just use more amps.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

Pike uses standard C, rather than drop C, except on The Art Of Self Defense, where the guitars are tuned slightly flat for some reason.

The old Boss FZ-2 is pretty fun to mess around with, since it's pretty much early Electric Wizard in a box.

You're correct, my bad.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

How did you get into making your own? I've always liked the idea of doing that but don't know where to start.

I have a pedal called "Acapulco Gold", one knob, and it emulates the sound of a cranked Sunn Model T. It's my favorite pedal besides maybe the Wooly Mammoth.

I'd been interested in electronics since forever ago but was too lazy to start reading up on stuff on my own. Then I went to electrician school and the curriculum had a course on electronics and that got me started. Read up on things a bit more, checked out some schematics and slowly started to understand what does what where. From there on it was "try this thing here and that thing there and adjust the resistor values until it sounds good." Been building my own circuits for about a year now.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

i don't have like a list handy or anything but from memory I can't think of many doom bands that use drop C.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

are the new ER-20s an improvement over the old ones? anyone got experience with both?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Sup doom goons, I have a very good dilemma to have. I'm seeing Boris play Pink on the 14th, which is gonna own. Earth, of course, is playing with them, and that's where my question comes in, since I've only listened to one album of theirs; The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull, which owns bones. So, where do I go from there to get more familiar with Earth?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you want more stuff like that, listen to Hibernaculum and Primitive and Deadly.
Something more experimental and generally weird? Angels of Darkness
More folk, less distortion: Hex
More distortion: Pentastar
No, I mean a lot more: Phase 3
No really, ALL the distortion: Earth 2 SLFV

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Those are all good. Never hurts to browse recent setlists, e.g. http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/earth/2016/930-club-washington-dc-7bfc9ee8.html

Pentastar has a special place in my heart. Dylan Carlson and Adrienne Davies are both super sweet people, too.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post
I know a lot of people dumped on it, but Primitive and Deadly ended up being one of my favorite Earth records. I started out with Hex and Hibernaculum which are fantastic, but P&D just sounded so much more sinister.

Looking at their whole catalog, Earth has one of the strangest evolutions of sound.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
From the Zodiacal Light is one of my favourite Earth pieces, P&D is really good. Angels & Demons II is the only miss in their catalogue I think and even that's not really terrible. It's certainly a varied body of work though, which parts of it I prefer have changed a lot over time.

NuclearPotato posted:

Sup doom goons, I have a very good dilemma to have. I'm seeing Boris play Pink on the 14th, which is gonna own. Earth, of course, is playing with them, and that's where my question comes in, since I've only listened to one album of theirs; The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull, which owns bones. So, where do I go from there to get more familiar with Earth?
Regardless that it's nothing like their sound these days you should definitely listen to Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Edition. Go sit or lie in a dark room, put it on headphones and listen to it all the way through, come out the other end feeling calm and clean and good. If you like the more droney end of their spectrum then A Bureaucratic Desire... is worth looking out although and if you're still into it then try Living in the Gleam too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I will also be at that show (pending press credentials. Hopefully I can snag a ticket otherwise) and I'm thinking I should check out a recent Earth album as well. I don't like Earth 2.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I mean they only have 5 "new Earth" LPs: Hex, The Bees Made Honey, Angels and Demons I & II, and Primitive and Deadly. If you want to get a feel for what they'll be playing I'd just check their Bandcamp and listen to a track or two off each of those. There's also Hibernaculum which is older pieces in the new style and A Plague of Angels which sort of bridges the two.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

That guitar solo in An Inquest Concerning Teeth is still one of the greatest things I have ever heard even a decade on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NWNV_TlgHk

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I've really enjoyed post-reboot Earth getting heavier and heavier tour by tour. Not like the original run of course, but it's still cool. Also, Boris riffed through Ouroboros is Broken a few times during their encore :swoon: :2bong:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

Earth 2 is their most 'important' but they don't play that live nowadays, Hex is great and then most of the ones after that are more of the same except for the newest one, which is like a bit of Pentastar coming back in(but still good). Pentastar is good and they play the odd track from that live too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Detective Thompson posted:

Some of you European boners have Elder and Cough coming your way, so enjoy that, ya jerks.
They're playing in Bristol the same week as Yob and Black Cobra :asoiaf:

Also while I wouldn't mind getting more pedals, I've been running this beauty in the meantime:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Yob's first NYC show of the tour they did last November with Black Cobra was one of the best shows I've ever seen. You're lucky to have those shows in the same week. Kinda jealous.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

This new Khemmis track is pretty gnarly: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/khemmis-releasing-hunted-share-candlelight/

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 10, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/fear-and-fury

new pallbearer

e: sort of, a remaster (or re-recording?) + two covers

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

emdash posted:

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/fear-and-fury

new pallbearer

e: sort of, a remaster (or re-recording?) + two covers

Shat my pants

e was kinnda hoping for more tracks but it'll fill the void for now. Only 5-7 mins long, too. Kinda disappointed theyre not the 10+ minute sagas we're used to.

E2: On their instagram they posted a video of their guitarist playing some poo poo that I don't think I heard on the EP so I'm hoping there's more to come soon? Teaser?

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 10, 2016

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
If you need something similar to scratch that Pallbearer itch check out Spirit Adrift, Nate from Gatecreeper and Take Over and Destroy, Jeff from Goya is playing with them live, super solid dudes, and super solid record. Streaming the whole thing for the moment.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/spirit-adrift-chained-to-oblivion

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Pokey Araya posted:

If you need something similar to scratch that Pallbearer itch check out Spirit Adrift, Nate from Gatecreeper and Take Over and Destroy, Jeff from Goya is playing with them live, super solid dudes, and super solid record. Streaming the whole thing for the moment.

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/spirit-adrift-chained-to-oblivion

gently caress yeah thanks man. enjoying this so far.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
That cover of Over and Over is amazing

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
FUUUUCK yes the Mizmor album kills

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/mizmor-yodh-gilead

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some slow, heavy funeral doom that's not about depression or sadness as its main lyrical theme. Along the lines of Ahab

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some slow, heavy funeral doom that's not about depression or sadness as its main lyrical theme. Along the lines of Ahab

Asunder.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Weedle posted:

That guitar solo in An Inquest Concerning Teeth is still one of the greatest things I have ever heard even a decade on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NWNV_TlgHk

this is really cool. Kinda reminds me of Grails' Black Tar Prophecies

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Stabat Mater https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqwqjz4oX34
Wormphlegm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl1jxJue3kw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
the body was too loud for my friend, i am afraid he's a false, please advise