Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

The woman would probably be cheaper tbh

If it fucks, flies or floats, rent it by the hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I really wish that the two roommates who have all Summer off cleaned the house at least loving once. I shouldn't be cleaning your drat beer cans off the table every day after work when you have jack poo poo going on. The three months I was unemployed I literally cleaned the entire first floor every single day. Not asking for that but c'mon man at least run the dishwasher. The dishwasher door is loving open and it is stacked with dirty dishes and now there are no clean plates. :wtf:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you continue to clean up after them they'll never change. The only solution is to have your own place. Sorry.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

The only way I'll be able to afford my own place within the next decade is if I squat in an abandoned buiding. And it is pretty hard for me NOT to clean up their poo poo when there are fruit flies EVERYWHERE.

Does anyone else love their parents but dislike spending time with them? I get along with them better than ever but I just stopped by for 30 minutes and the entire ride there and now I have some crazy anxiety going on and I want to throw up. For no reason at all. I think I subconciously think I am a disapointment to them or something. I can't explain it. I just get so worked up visiting them for no reason and I am starting to feel guilty about it. Like I live 10 minutes from them and have only seen them once in the past 30 days. Sigh.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Same, honestly.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Does anyone else love their parents but dislike spending time with them? I get along with them better than ever but I just stopped by for 30 minutes and the entire ride there and now I have some crazy anxiety going on and I want to throw up. For no reason at all. I think I subconciously think I am a disapointment to them or something. I can't explain it. I just get so worked up visiting them for no reason and I am starting to feel guilty about it. Like I live 10 minutes from them and have only seen them once in the past 30 days. Sigh.

Living with my parent's was rough on my mental health for a whole host of reasons but visits are usually fine and if anything happens it just serves a reminder of why I moved out into a way worse area of town in the first place.

Something close to 100% of advice my mom gave me in life or times I got into poo poo was based around her being able to brag to her coworkers about me so I know how you feel on the disappointment front, best I can say is at a certain point you have to say any disappointment they have is a reflection on their life choices and not yours.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Enourmo posted:

Same, honestly.

It sucks because I know they are sad that I don't visit or call them enough but the anxiety is crazy, especially now that I am off my anxiety meds. I would drop everything in a heart beat to help them and they would as well. I feel like such a piece of poo poo son right now. My mom was going out with her friend and my dad thought I stopped by for dinner with him and I could tell he was sad when I said no and left 30 minutes later. Jesus Christ I am depressed now. Time for a few beers. Sorry for the rant.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Have you ever told them how you feel?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah. I had a pretty bad breakdown when I dropped outta college and moved back in with them. I am starting to feel the same way again and it is worrying me. I don't wanna do anything except stay in my room alone and be by myself. I am afraid I am going to reach a point where I will be better off taking my meds again rather than working this job. God I wish I could do both. Guess it is time to sack up and meet a therapist or something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Your work won't let you take a prescribed medication for anxiety? That's messed up. Seeing a therapist would be good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I need a new fridge and the maximum width is 36". current fridge is 35.5" and just *barely* fits.

But here I am, trying to rationalize getting a 35.75" and hoping it works out OK.

:argh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BraveUlysses posted:

Your work won't let you take a prescribed medication for anxiety? That's messed up. Seeing a therapist would be good.

That sounds like an ada violation unless they have a drat good reason.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Edit : Okay yeah that might not be a good idea

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nm posted:

Given his job, I doubt it.

But I do know that if I actually get medicated I can't do a large portion of my job, and suffer as a result. So I just stay unmedicated and get to deal with it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I think I married the wrong person.

Good thing we're having a kid in 3 weeks!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

blk posted:

That's... not good.:ohdear:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

blk posted:

It's just pre-kid stress. Don't worry about it, re-eval in 6 months and enjoy being a new dad. It's super rewarding, but only if you're willing to put the work in.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

the spyder posted:

It's just pre-kid stress. Don't worry about it, re-eval in 6 months and enjoy being a new dad. It's super rewarding, but only if you're willing to put the work in.

Maybe - they're issues we've had since we met. My marriage, my house and everything I wake up and go to bed with is somebody's dream, but unfortunately it isn't mine, and I feel like a chump for trying to shove my round peg into a square hole.

We need to get lunch! Thursday?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

blk posted:

I remember you talking about this before kids, then it seemed like something magically switched around in your head and you decided you were gung ho. I've been kinda secretly worried that there was trouble in paradise, and I'm not glad to be proven right. I hope you guys can figure out some resolution that works for everyone involved.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

How far "north"?

Up to Barrow-In-Furness.

So a fair way up there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Proper north at least, good luck and wave as you pass the Midlands!

Crag, why can't you take meds and do your job? Conditions of employment or side effects?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

I feel like a chump for trying to shove my round peg into a square hole.
I'm really struggling not to make the obvious joke here, sorry.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nm posted:

I would have thought that US employers were very keen for their employees to take their meds because of that whole going postal thing.

(take your meds, dude)

(EDIT: to clarify, I am not suggesting that you are going to redecorate your office walls in 'coworker brains red', just that you'd think that there were a blanket policy of encouraging employees to take their meds)

spog fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 10, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I can't take any narcotic meds because I need a DOT card for work. Which is bullshit because my work vehicle ks way under the DOT weight limit. It is just a work policy that everyone has to have a DOT card. I do work with a guy with back problems and a Vicodin script. He just didn't tell the DOT doctor about it and used fake piss to pass the test instead.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Lmao so I thought the AC compressor went out in the MR2 but I go and look at it and the belt's loose. It's only the harmonic balancer, the compressor, and a tensioner.

Also the harmonic balancer pulley for the AC compressor (but not for all the other accessories) has about an inch or two of axial play when I rev the motor. It legit reminds me of a starter gear clutch.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

blk posted:

Maybe - they're issues we've had since we met. My marriage, my house and everything I wake up and go to bed with is somebody's dream, but unfortunately it isn't mine, and I feel like a chump for trying to shove my round peg into a square hole.

We need to get lunch! Thursday?

Is having a kid part of "somebody (else's) dream"?

It's normal to feel some anxiety before the baby arrives but you'll find that your relationship will change quite a bit once the baby arrives, for better or worse. But you might also find it realign to what you want, as long as having the baby is part of what you want.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Lmao so I thought the AC compressor went out in the MR2 but I go and look at it and the belt's loose. It's only the harmonic balancer, the compressor, and a tensioner.

Also the harmonic balancer pulley for the AC compressor (but not for all the other accessories) has about an inch or two of axial play when I rev the motor. It legit reminds me of a starter gear clutch.

Is it just worn, or is it using some sort of different clutch setup?

Blk!

Still got the Elitebook?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

Still got the Elitebook?

Yeah, screw your existential angst, blk, still got that old cheap laptop?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, screw your existential angst, blk, still got that old cheap laptop?

Don't judge me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

blk posted:

I wake up and go to bed with is somebody's dream, but unfortunately it isn't mine

I struggle with this too, sometimes. My wife and I had a little bit of a discussion about it last night, and we understand each other. I think you have to figure out priorities and communicate early and often.

Speaking of my wife, she's been in New York for the past couple of weeks, doing a rotation at another medical school. We spent the better part of an hour on the phone last night going over her grand rounds presentation, and she texted me this morning to let me know it went very well! People are impressed with her, and by all accounts she's exceeding expectations. I couldn't be more proud of her.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I think questioning whether you married the right person is common, especially in the early years of the marriage. Also big life changes tend to put stress on the relationship that prime that question.

Sounds completely normal to me

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

I think questioning whether you married the right person is common, especially in the early years of the marriage. Also big life changes tend to put stress on the relationship that prime that question.

Sounds completely normal to me

This is pretty normal. Celebrating our 10 year anniversary this Friday, and we had our issues, even briefly both considered divorce, so we dated other people, and realized that we didn't have it bad at all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I can't take any narcotic meds because I need a DOT card for work. Which is bullshit because my work vehicle ks way under the DOT weight limit. It is just a work policy that everyone has to have a DOT card. I do work with a guy with back problems and a Vicodin script. He just didn't tell the DOT doctor about it and used fake piss to pass the test instead.

I'd talk to an employment lawyer about the whole thing.
If you don't need a DOT card to drive the vehicle, and you cannot get one due to a medical conditon but can drive the car safely and legally, not requiring you to have one seems like a reasonable accomodation. I am, however, not an employment or ada lawyer, so talk to one.
ADA comes with ways to recover attorneys fees, so I believe many will do a free consult.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

This is pretty normal. Celebrating our 10 year anniversary this Friday, and we had our issues, even briefly both considered divorce, so we dated other people, and realized that we didn't have it bad at all.

Same, except instead of dating other people she went to Costa Rica for a semester and I stayed at home and took care of the kids with the help of my brother in law. We just celebrated our 11 year anniversary this past May. I showed up at LAX to pick her up from her semester off and asked if she was on board or not, the rest is history. Working with human trafficking victims has a way of putting ones life in perspective. Also, I was the only person she had ever dated, so I could see it from her perspective since I previously had a close to fiance.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Blk!

Still got the Elitebook?

I've been meaning to post our old Lenovo T510+T520 up, but I haven't had time. If anyone wants a cheap i5/i7 (8GB/160-256GB SSD/15") laptop, PM me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

I've been meaning to post our old Lenovo T510+T520 up, but I haven't had time. If anyone wants a cheap i5/i7 (8GB/160-256GB SSD/15") laptop, PM me.

Graphics? I need something with non Intel Video for a 3D printer station.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh man, and I just bought a cheap chromebook to be my burner laptop for international travel.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I have a question for our Australian friends:

Regardless of the Holden vs. Ford rivalry, is the Mad Max pursuit special universally regarded as cool?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The Honda dealership was gonna charge my buddy $1,460 for a brake-and-rotor job which to me sounded insane for an 8 year-old car. Those stupid rotor retention screws were all stripped out and I tried drilling them but it didn't work. Luckily the rotors are in decent shape so they didn't need to be replaced, but I'm curious what can be done to get those things outta there. Probably a stupid move on my part, trying to drill them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

scuz posted:

The Honda dealership was gonna charge my buddy $1,460 for a brake-and-rotor job which to me sounded insane for an 8 year-old car. Those stupid rotor retention screws were all stripped out and I tried drilling them but it didn't work. Luckily the rotors are in decent shape so they didn't need to be replaced, but I'm curious what can be done to get those things outta there. Probably a stupid move on my part, trying to drill them out.

Try a left handed drill bit, or starting with a sharp drill bit. Sharp bits and drilling at the right speed makes all the difference in the world.

• Locked thread