Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Hey op, while I sincerely wish you and your family all the best, the phrasing of "hey beautiful, anoxic that you ischemic" makes my teeth itch, and I hate you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I dont get the title

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

me neither

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
He explained it here, and I still hate it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765351&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post456559579

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

op i know this is your sad sack thread where you talk about yourself, and inevitably to yourself, but im sorry for your old ladys situation

it sucks, it really does, but this one goons legit not joking advice is that you might need to think hard about making some decisions

decisions of what nature, i do not know, but i mean this genuinely, your malaise (and im sure life situation) doesnt seem sustainable

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah op, make decisions

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
thats my advice

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

goddamn thats what i loving get i gues

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm agreeing with you hee

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

oh my bad. sorry zzulu

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

then i guess at least i finally took everyone's advice about finding some me time and they can all give that angle a rest.

I'm glad you are starting to see the value in nurturing yourself.

A healthy caregiver is a better caregiver.

----

In another example, I'm glad you also take time to forums jokepost.

Such as this humorous aside from a couple weeks back:

Centripetal Horse posted:

Did anyone make an MS Paint titled "A Pain in My rear end" yet? It should have a mime in it.

Trig Discipline posted:

You have to know a tiny bit of French.

"pain" is French for "bread"

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I know it's a cliché, but this particular one is very true: you can't take care of someone else if you can't take care of yourself.

Good luck to you, OP.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I goddamned love this hbot poo poo.

Again she popped to life, became keenly responsive and seemed drained as hell after.

I feel super again as well, thanks for asking.

Also thanks for the good decision advice, I hadn't really put a lot of thought into making decisions, but I think I will give them a lot of thought and see how that pans out.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Hell yeah good hustle op.

Once she is able to speak again, het her to say "suck my dick, you fuckman" and post it here please.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

what if it was like event horizon and shes actually in hell

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Also thanks for the good decision advice, I hadn't really put a lot of thought into making decisions, but I think I will give them a lot of thought and see how that pans out.

this thread is heavy and beautifully depressing. hang in there man and keep rolling.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
op your daughter is going to think you are the greatest person in the world when she's old enough to appreciate what you went through

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

You're a goddamn Saint OP, hope you all make it

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I goddamned love this hbot poo poo.

Again she popped to life, became keenly responsive and seemed drained as hell after.

I feel super again as well, thanks for asking.

Would you mind giving some more descriptives with regards to "keenly responsive"? Does she talk? Sorry if this is too personal, it's just fascinating to read about this progress.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oxygen therapy seems like the most potent thing, if you recognize the use of oxygen not only as a means to produce energy but capture free radicals.
I hope the treatments continue to be promising

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Not talking, just very quickly looking where asked or attempting to follow instruction. I know she didn't, but we all heard what sounded like her saying "help" as well, but at least it was her voice with more complex mouth shapes and movement.

Today the new thing was five clearly observed swallows in the dive session, and she held her head up well after.

Starting tomorrow the sessions will move to 90 minutes instead of just an hour.

I figure any immediate results are likely a pretty good sign around efficacy in her case. From everything I've ever read it seems ~60 is when you see the results start to solidify, as well as become permanent.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
what is the hbot supposed to do again

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

what is the hbot supposed to do again

It's :catdrugs:, hit up TCC and see if they can give you the hookup

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0053716

http://brainjury.org/blog/2014/07/03/what-the-bleep-is-wrong-with-the-dodva-hbot-studies/

etc etc etc

update: she woke me up again with a ton of raspberry-ing and other noises. she is clean and dry and it is late and i'm goddamned tired. i got frustrated and hugged it out, told her i was glad she was finally starting to sound like her old self because i was getting worried she might have lost some of her faculties. she laughed, unambiguously, and then sorta faded off back into noises and spitting and whatever.

i dunno man. jesus she hasn't laughed, even really close to laughing really, since this happened. could just be a coincidence but ugh man i do not know.

still though, i mean, a new thing is a new thing, is the thing.

i hate brain damage a ton.

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 12, 2016

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i hate brain damage a ton.

i think it's cool. Haha just kidding man, it sounds bad

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Holy poo poo holy poo poo

Sixth session, working on her voice in the chamber

She finally squeaks out a solid sound and her eyes went wide like she was shocked, then she just started cracking up through her teeth with tears in her eyes. Like that start and stop unexpected chuckle laugh that keeps building without intending for it.

Almost five minutes, locking eyes with everyone while doing it, and right now on the ride home I am holding her hand and she just keeps staring at me while crying and trying to say . . . I think . . . No idea it's basically a monosyllabic mumble.

Mind gently caress of a Monday so far

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Dude that's awesome. When's the next session?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
Mon-Sat, just got it upped to 90 min sessions. They kept trying to go above 1.5, but all the studies point at 1.5 being the sweet spot with 100% oxygen so I've held us there--like today for instance.

Like I said from the start, no idea where this ends, but literally all the good brain research is in the last 2-3 years and none of it is prescription-ready yet.

There's a bit of hope though that even if my pie-in-the-sky magic return of a lady doesn't work, well I dunno maybe I have a new version of my best friend still.

edit: also weirdly my tinnitus has been like . . . i dunno . . . 25% what it has always been. i almost experienced silence today, which felt really odd which is why I noticed it. checked on a whim and welp http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9547879

FAN OF NICKELBACK fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 16, 2016

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This will be the last post I read before bed. What an awesome experience that must have been!

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Hey OP I read the entire thread in an evening. Honestly I don't know all that much about brain injury, but I hope you and the docs continue to see improvement. Keep on going, one day at a time.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:neckbeard:

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
That's awesome that your wife was able to experience such an improvement and that you were there to share her joy.

Congrats on your tinnitus thing, too. Guess that's a bonus!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Congrats on the nearly verbal wife, op.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sometimes I wish my wife would take a cue from yours and quiet down! XD Just kidding, I've never been married.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Seriously I wish you and your wife and your family all the best, sincerely. This thread makes me cry.

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
she is keeping me up with her laughing, and if I ask her to tell me a joke she snorts really loud and cracks up twice as hard

this is a 100% detached and clinical explanation of what is happening and I have a parent / teacher thing tomorrow but lol at the idea of sleep now

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

she is keeping me up with her laughing, and if I ask her to tell me a joke she snorts really loud and cracks up twice as hard

this is a 100% detached and clinical explanation of what is happening and I have a parent / teacher thing tomorrow but lol at the idea of sleep now
Read GBS threads to her and she'll stop laughing

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Show her the forbidden krusty memes

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
You're a good person OP, I'm really happy with every update.

a hole-y ghost posted:

Read GBS threads to her and she'll stop laughing

I read GBS all day while in the hospital and it kept me sane so perhaps GBS is a good idea?

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

If I was a mod, I'd issue a mod challenge to all the naysayers in the thread: make op's wife laugh in 3 posts or less, or eat a 30 day.

• Locked thread