Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Because if they don't sell definitely take our ball and go home (with the Big 12 being relegated to G5 status) instead of only probably taking our ball and going home.

If they don't extend the GOR though there's nothing to gain and more risk. Right now if the other conferences expand to 16 there's only 1-2 P5 schools that'll be left out (right now there are 64 schools plus Notre Dame in the P5). Adding a couple more schools to those ranks would just increase the competition for landing spots in a decade. So instead of ISU, K-State, and Baylor playing musical chairs and hoping they aren't left out, they'd just be risking all of them being left out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think OU and especially loving Texas are all that worried about finding a landing spot

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

I don't think OU and especially loving Texas are all that worried about finding a landing spot

...yes? But the conversation was that it only take 3 of the other schools to reject expansion. And there are at least 3 Big XII schools who would be concerned about finding a landing spot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So their response to that would be to break up the conference now instead of waiting and getting good TV money for at least a few extra years, if it breaks up at all? ISU isn't a good major conference expansion candidate either way, they might as well ride getting to be in the same conference as OU and Texas for as long as they can

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 8, 2016

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

MourningView posted:

So their response to that would be to break up the conference now instead of waiting and getting good TV money for at least a few extra years, if it breaks up at all? ISU isn't a good major conference expansion candidate either way, they might as well ride getting to be in the same conference as OU and Texas for as long as they can

Welcome to The American, ISU!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Democrazy posted:

Welcome to The American, ISU!

:ughh:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

The GOR goes until like 2024 right now and if Texas/Oklahoma tried to break it the schools left behind would have no reason not to go scorched earth on it in the courts. This is all about doing exactly what you propose, locking down conference affiliation for an extra decade until the mid 2030s.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

The GOR goes until like 2024 right now and if Texas/Oklahoma tried to break it the schools left behind would have no reason not to go scorched earth on it in the courts. This is all about doing exactly what you propose, locking down conference affiliation for an extra decade until the mid 2030s.

Which Texas and OU appear to have no interest in.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neil Armbong posted:

Which Texas and OU appear to have no interest in.

In which case the interest of the have nots is to not increase their competition for landing spots when the conference falls apart.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

In which case the interest of the have nots is to not increase their competition for landing spots when the conference falls apart.

Iowa State likely loses out to Houston in a post big 12 realignment world.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neil Armbong posted:

Iowa State likely loses out to Houston in a post big 12 realignment world.

Which is incentive not to give Houston a decade of P5 money to keep building up their facilities and paying huge coaching contracts.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Can New Mexico join the big 12...plz

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Popy posted:

Can New Mexico join the big 12...plz

No

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm sitting over here starring at a dented up Longhorns helmet pleading "finish what you started" like Kylo Ren while pondering what the Pac16 logo will look like.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

Which is incentive not to give Houston a decade of P5 money to keep building up their facilities and paying huge coaching contracts.

Only delaying the inevitable. Why not make more money now before the well completely dries up for y'all?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The main problem I see in the Big 12 adding Houston and Cincinnati is, how do you divide the schools into two divisions? You've got five teams in the state of Texas and six teams per division. Who ends up in the Lone Star division?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
West Virginia for shits and giggles

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CaptainYesterday posted:

The main problem I see in the Big 12 adding Houston and Cincinnati is, how do you divide the schools into two divisions? You've got five teams in the state of Texas and six teams per division. Who ends up in the Lone Star division?

Division 1:

Texas
Texas Tech
Houston
Iowa State
Cincinnati
West Virginia

Division 2:

Baylor
TCU
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State

This would be the best of all possible worlds, in which all possible worlds are pretty rough geographically. You ideally would want to split the Texas schools that way every team is guaranteed a game there per year.

If we wanna go full-bore on the fanfic, permanent rivals:

Texas-OU (duh)
TTU-OSU (geography, ag/mech schools)
Baylor-Houston (geography)
TCU-West Virginia (worst matchup, joined Big 12 together?...)
Kansas State-Iowa State (geography/Farmageddon)
Kansas-Cincinnati (basketball? kinda sorta geography?)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I'm sitting over here starring at a dented up Longhorns helmet pleading "finish what you started" like Kylo Ren while pondering what the Pac16 logo will look like.

The footprint will kinda make a 6 right? If you squint?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

TipTow posted:

If we wanna go full-bore on the fanfic, permanent rivals:

Texas-OU (duh)
TTU-OSU (geography, ag/mech schools)
Baylor-Houston (geography)
TCU-West Virginia (worst matchup, joined Big 12 together?...)
Kansas State-Iowa State (geography/Farmageddon)
Kansas-Cincinnati (basketball? kinda sorta geography?)

Switch Houston and Baylor in the divisions.

TCU and Baylor would go together. They have a lot of bad blood between them going back to the SWC (Apparently Baylor burned down the original TCU campus or something) and still don't like each other.
West Virginia and Cincinnati should go together too because geography.

That leaves Kansas and Houston I guess but there isn't any way of dividing that up that makes sense and also includes everybody so whatever. Maybe Kansas getting clowned every year by their "Rival" would motivate them to not suck so bad at football.

Numlock fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 9, 2016

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
So apparently some Big 12 officials are at UCF? Meh

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Going to Disney World on someone else's dime, that's all.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Numlock posted:

Switch Houston and Baylor in the divisions.

TCU and Baylor would go together. They have a lot of bad blood between them going back to the SWC (Apparently Baylor burned down the original TCU campus or something) and still don't like each other.
West Virginia and Cincinnati should go together too because geography.

That leaves Kansas and Houston I guess but there isn't any way of dividing that up that makes sense and also includes everybody so whatever. Maybe Kansas getting clowned every year by their "Rival" would motivate them to not suck so bad at football.

No point in protected cross divisional rivalries, just protect Texas-OU if they need to go in separate divisions and call it good.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

https://twitter.com/UCFSportsInfo/status/762850983202263041

Facebook map

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's going to be great when the networks agree to pay the Big 12 not to expand after a couple of months of this.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

It's going to be great when the networks agree to pay the Big 12 not to expand after a couple of months of this.

I do love some expansion talk.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

General Dog posted:

That's acceptable but only if we kick out Baylor and swap in Houston.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Eh let the Mormons in.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Kim Jong Il posted:

Eh let the Mormons in.

A bunch of LGBT groups don't want the Big 12 to invite BYU, so I imagine the conference is keeping that in mind.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CaptainYesterday posted:

A bunch of LGBT groups don't want the Big 12 to invite BYU, so I imagine the conference is keeping that in mind.

We have Baylor, I don't think we're allowed to have standards anymore.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CaptainYesterday posted:

What TV market are they again?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

CaptainYesterday posted:

Oh no a bunch of LGBT groups don't want a religious school in, quelle surprise. If the Big 12 basically isn't giving a poo poo about the Baylor situation then they definitely shouldn't care about BYUs issues.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

What TV market are they again?

An entire religion, like a smaller scale Notre Dame.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

An entire religion, like a smaller scale Notre Dame.

I meant the LGBT groups

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Oh no a bunch of LGBT groups don't want a religious school in, quelle surprise. If the Big 12 basically isn't giving a poo poo about the Baylor situation then they definitely shouldn't care about BYUs issues.

Kicking out a school versus deciding on letting one in really aren't equivalent.

Also people acting like pressure from these LGBT groups won't influence the decision makers--not to necessarily say they will be THE deciding factor--are only fooling themselves. The country is continuing to trend very rapidly and strongly in a direction that makes the policies of an institution like BYU unacceptable for a majority of the population.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I hope if the Big 12 invites BYU, that everyone rockets them off the field so hard that BYU goes like 4-8 every year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're definitely not gonna win it but they could probably chill at that like Texas Tech level somewhere in the middle. They'd be better than ISU and probably both Kansas schools if Snyder ever retires.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

TipTow posted:

Kicking out a school versus deciding on letting one in really aren't equivalent.

Also people acting like pressure from these LGBT groups won't influence the decision makers--not to necessarily say they will be THE deciding factor--are only fooling themselves. The country is continuing to trend very rapidly and strongly in a direction that makes the policies of an institution like BYU unacceptable for a majority of the population.

I'm kind of torn here because I don't want to support a lot of the stuff BYU stands for, but my extreme dislike of BYU makes me want to see my team beat them that much more. We've already got Baylor and OU, but I'd always like to see more teams I hate on the schedule. No matter what your record is, no matter where you are in the season, it's pretty easy to get hype for a game when you hate the other team.

You think there's any way we could get PSU and ND in on this? Texas would certainly be pulling our weight in the Hate Belt Conference. I mean everyone who is not a Texas fan hates Texas, right? It could be like how the SEC has been known to say every week is a championship game, except we could say every week was a rivalry game.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 10, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm kind of torn here because I don't want to support a lot of the stuff BYU stands for, but my extreme dislike of BYU makes me want to see my team beat them that much more.

Huh, BYU is 4-1 all time against Texas with UT's single win being a 17-16 nailbiter. Not saying that matters much, since they appear to have mostly played when Texas was bad. Interesting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm kind of torn here because I don't want to support a lot of the stuff BYU stands for, but my extreme dislike of BYU makes me want to see my team beat them that much more. We've already got Baylor and OU, but I'd always like to see more teams I hate on the schedule. No matter what your record is, no matter where you are in the season, it's pretty easy to get hype for a game when you hate the other team.

You think there's any way we could get PSU and ND in on this? Texas would certainly be pulling our weight in the Hate Belt Conference. I mean everyone who is not a Texas fan hates Texas, right? It could be like how the SEC has been known to say every week is a championship game, except we could say every week was a rivalry game.

Look man, if you can't be with the one you hate, hate the one you're with.

gently caress Kansas State so hard.

• Locked thread