Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
You can pick up a SuperMicro SAS array pretty cheap and go with an LSI JBOD controller.

IOwnCalculus posted:

What self-respecting goon doesn't already have a SAS-based NAS for serving their Linux ISOs?

Its more the issue of having one that supports more than 2.5TB. Like mine, which is old, only supports up to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Pffffft like we have any self-respect, IOC.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

What self-respecting goon doesn't already have a SAS-based NAS for serving their Linux ISOs?

Me. It's me. I don't have a Linux ISO either.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even know what that is and google confused me on the subject.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I leave that poo poo at work, and just have a windows gaming box at home.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Tide posted:

You're not alone.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

You're not alone.

Tide posted:

Translation: "What sort of self-respecting nerd doesn't have a server full of hard drives to store all their COMPLETELY LEGAL AND IN NO WAY PIRATED digital content"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

literally a fish posted:

Pffffft like we have any self-respect, IOC.

So true, so very true.

I've actually just finished getting my server to a point where I can leave it be until the drives in it start eventually running into age-related failures, but free drives? Can't resist a hit of that. :2bong:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

literally a fish posted:

Translation: "What sort of self-respecting nerd doesn't have a server full of hard drives to store all their COMPLETELY LEGAL AND IN NO WAY PIRATED digital content"

What else am I going to host Kerbal Multiplayer Servers on?

:colbert:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Am I too late for the HDDs?

I'll take 2 if you still have them.
Email me at explodingsims2@gmail.com and I'll happily pay for the shipping to FL!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

literally a fish posted:

GoPro footage is like 16GB/hour. Fuji RAFs are about 25MB a pop.

I finally had my first data loss and it took some videos and photos that I hadn't moved to the ZFS pool. :(

E: if you have 4 spare drives, I'll fax you the dollars for shipping. :3

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 11, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Started a Kerbal Multiplayer dedicated server, come join us and make an rear end out of yourself in space. For science.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786210

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'm looking at a carfax on a CX5 and wondering why the hell the title would be updated or renewed so often

edit: nevermind, 2013 has the poo poo 2.0 motor, no deal.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That's every year so it's probably just tab renewals.

edit: Got some water in the loving basement again and it's making me very unchill. Who knows what the best waterproofing paint is for basements that is also a reasonable price?

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 11, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

NitroSpazzz posted:

My work laptop barely ran Fallout New Vegas, my gaming/sim rig runs Fallout 4 but struggles...I work on the fastest computers in the world lol. Girlfriend said I can have her Xbox One since she never uses it, I'll be picking up Fallout 4 for that and retreating into my man cave when the winter hits.

I'm never buying another car without a PPI by a knowledgeable shop. Anything old over $5k it's just common sense. I do regret not getting one done on the 928 but it was cheap and I foolishly trusted my friend. The PPI list for that car from Monday makes me ashamed and slightly scared that I've been driving it fairly hard.

Speaking of computers and stuff anyone need a hard drive or several? Have a box of these that are going to scrap shortly. I can't sell them but I can give them away as long as you pay shipping. I already grabbed a couple that I'll likely never use but there's probably 100+ left.

No PMs, email at faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Raluek fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 11, 2016

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

scuz posted:

That was our plan of attack, but we were hammering the rotor from the back side so hard that it nearly tipped the car off the jackstands. I'll get pictures of it at some point but it LOOKS like the whole head is just gone.

I'll post this every time someone has a stuck rotor because it's a million times better than beating the poo poo out of it and possibly messing up a hub/bearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

It has never failed me. So satisfying when it just pops loose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

I'll post this every time someone has a stuck rotor because it's a million times better than beating the poo poo out of it and possibly messing up a hub/bearing

And always take a wire wheel and scrub the rust off afterwords. I do it with every brake change.

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
Whooo workin for a 3 billion dollar company that forgets to pay you, this is my ode to not getting paid, and my conscientious objection to doing work.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

:shittypop: perfect!! This is awesome.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

Whooo workin for a 3 billion dollar company that forgets to pay you, this is my ode to not getting paid, and my conscientious objection to doing work.

Hey, if 99.5% of employees get paid every pay period, the payment processing people are doing pretty good!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

angryrobots posted:

You're not alone.

I'm Somewhat Heroic and I'm a Mac. :downs:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

:wtf:

I've lost 20lbs in the past 4 months but my blood pressure is scary high right now, even though I take meds for it daily. Dunno if it related to the anxiety issues I've been having lately though. Gotta make an appointment with my PCP tomorrow.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Salt intake too high? Smoke many cigarettes? How bout booze? Is everything you eat wrapped in bacon?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Don't smoke. Cut down on drinking A LOT since me and the ex split up. I bet my salt intake is too high. Been being lazy in regards to dinner lately. Definitely have to change that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have dropped 50lbs since last year. It should have been more but I moved half way across the country and the stress from doing so made me gain 20lbs back pretty darn quick. Only 30 more to go and I will be at my optimal weight!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've lost 20lbs in the past 4 months but my blood pressure is scary high right now, even though I take meds for it daily. Dunno if it related to the anxiety issues I've been having lately though. Gotta make an appointment with my PCP tomorrow.

Anxiety can and does blow blood pressure out to ridiculous levels. My BP levels between at work and on holiday are ridiculously different.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Have at least 100 hard drives spoken for at the moment, you guys can stop sending me messages. I'll try to dig through the box and figure out how many I'll be able to take then start replying to people.

Stupid TV that died in a storm has me stumped. Power checks out good everywhere but the fucker will not turn on :argh:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

opengl128 posted:

I wouldn't go doing this with an aluminium hub carrier

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What's scary high? And yeah it's probably the anxiety. Couple years ago I had a lot of life crap going on, heart rate was like 100 bpm all the time, couldn't sleep, bp was like 155/90. I'm better now.

Eating better was definitely part of it, but personally I had to learn to manage my stress better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I have dropped 50lbs since last year. It should have been more but I moved half way across the country and the stress from doing so made me gain 20lbs back pretty darn quick. Only 30 more to go and I will be at my optimal weight!

I've dropped almost no weight at all since I started going to the gym back in October. I am going to have to break down and talk to a nutritionist or something to get my diet sorted.

On the other hand, I've gone from being heavy and pathetically out of shape to heavy and being sort of strong at least (relative to where I started anyway). I could barely leg-press 150lbs without hurting my knees when I started, and I can do over 400 now. Similar gains on pretty much every sort of lifting, although I'm still not where books like "Starting Strength" say I should be for my weight.

Also have lost 3 belt-notches, so even though the weight is the same (sort of, fluctuates a lot), apparently I'm a bit thinner, although still too fat.

My problem is that I really like eating, because food is yummy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was doing some shopping today and overheard this snippet of conversation

"I'm trying to tag mom in these pictures but it's not working."
Uh, mom doesn't have Facebook
"What does that matter?"

I've since been here at home hiding from the stupidity that is other people.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Locator posted:

I've dropped almost no weight at all since I started going to the gym back in October. I am going to have to break down and talk to a nutritionist or something to get my diet sorted.

On the other hand, I've gone from being heavy and pathetically out of shape to heavy and being sort of strong at least (relative to where I started anyway). I could barely leg-press 150lbs without hurting my knees when I started, and I can do over 400 now. Similar gains on pretty much every sort of lifting, although I'm still not where books like "Starting Strength" say I should be for my weight.

Also have lost 3 belt-notches, so even though the weight is the same (sort of, fluctuates a lot), apparently I'm a bit thinner, although still too fat.

My problem is that I really like eating, because food is yummy.

You are gaining muscle and losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Oh man I love relaxing on the front porch during a rain storm.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Oh man I love relaxing on the front porch during a rain storm.

:sigh:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

It was in the 90s with 80% humidity here all day. Gotta love sweating your tits off just standing around.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It was in the 90s with 80% humidity here all day. Gotta love sweating your tits off just standing around.

Welcome to my everyday misery. Dat florida lyfe.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Well it doesn't help that 75% of my job is outside either. Can't wait for the fall.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

You are gaining muscle and losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat.

I'm aware of this, and it's a good thing, but I'd still like to make some progress at losing the ol' belly and some pounds, as I certainly weigh far too much for my height/build even with more muscle. My diet is.. not good, so that's really the step I need to take, along with doing more cardio stuff.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Locator posted:

I'm aware of this, and it's a good thing, but I'd still like to make some progress at losing the ol' belly and some pounds, as I certainly weigh far too much for my height/build even with more muscle. My diet is.. not good, so that's really the step I need to take, along with doing more cardio stuff.

If your belt is 3 notches lower you are losing the belly. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elmnt80 posted:

Welcome to my everyday misery. Dat florida lyfe.

When I was in HS marching band we had an instructor who had just moved from like Illinois and famously said "Man, I can't wait til September when it cools off!" and we all just sort of gave that dead, hollow laughter that can only come with experience.

Turns out that to get budget for the rocket project I'm running ($500 which the SGA will then match), I have to make a powerpoint and potentially an in-person presentation to the regional chapter of the organization. Like the actual pro-tier main part of the org where real engineers run it, not the school chapter. :sweatdrop:

• Locked thread