Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Locator posted:

I'm aware of this, and it's a good thing, but I'd still like to make some progress at losing the ol' belly and some pounds, as I certainly weigh far too much for my height/build even with more muscle. My diet is.. not good, so that's really the step I need to take, along with doing more cardio stuff.

I'll tell it to you bluntly, like my doc did.

You can't out-exercise a lovely diet. If you want to lose weight, it has to start in the kitchen, because it takes half an hour to jog off the caloric equivalent of a single Little Debbie snack cake or a bottle of beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The diet part has been hard but I'd already cut out fast food and pop, beer wasn't hard to ditch. I'm going through about 10 bottles of water a day (bless you Costco) and have been trying very hard to eat well. Got the elliptical put back together tonight and of course I was dying at 10 minutes in. And just a week ago I could rock 40+ without any issues.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

Turns out that to get budget for the rocket project I'm running ($500 which the SGA will then match), I have to make a powerpoint and potentially an in-person presentation to the regional chapter of the organization. Like the actual pro-tier main part of the org where real engineers run it, not the school chapter. :sweatdrop:

I desire to know more.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

I desire to know more.

Up til last summer they were just building big (F/G class) estes kits and launching them. The engineering aspect was just modeling the rockets in CAD and doing flow simulations to get a drag coefficient, then using that for some apogee calculations.

Starting last fall (when I joined), they started doing mostly the same thing but with scratch-built rockets. I ended up winning in spring, and my teammate and I got selected to lead the project for the next year. Summer we made our first major change, which was designing the rockets to a specific apogee target, which was well below the motors' capability, so it was a challenge making the fins big and draggy enough without being overly stable (which would send the rocket angling into even a 5mph crosswind and fly off at like a 45 degree angle).

Now, though... we're adding active parachute deployment control (instead of deploying with the eject charge at 1200-1800 feet and praying it doesn't drift into the woods), and an actual payload to recover instead of empty tubes (probably an egg, unless I can find something less messy that doesn't break the bank).

And I gotta budget out all these changes in like a week.

It'll be fantastic on the resume if i can swing it, but... man. Talk about pressure.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

If you put the egg in a couple of zip lock bags the mess shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise a peach or plum or other small fruit would probably show damage while making less mess. Still should probably go in a bag though.

E: protip: use organic eggs -- the shells are usually way thicker

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Paintballs could be washed off pretty easy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

You can't out-exercise a lovely diet. If you want to lose weight, it has to start in the kitchen, because it takes half an hour to jog off the caloric equivalent of a single Little Debbie snack cake or a bottle of beer.

Yep... I know this, but am resisting because I love going to my favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch with the co-workers. Like Rhyno, I gave up soda (which I used to drink a LOT of) and a bunch of other lovely foods, stopped buying any easy 'snack foods' like chips, since if they aren't around the house, I don't eat them. Next step is clearly to fix the 'meals' part of the diet. I've been really good about cooking healthy stuff in spurts, just need to get into doing it all the time instead of on again, off again, and should get with a nutritionist or something to teach me actual good meal balance instead of just what I think is good.

Also, stop breaking down and ordering Pizza when I'm on a good streak.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just swapped the wifemobile's spark plugs and wires. The Roadkill ziptie spark plug separator trick works really well.

Little worried the middle two plugs had oil on them, but that's probably typical. PCV valve swap didn't do much to keep the oil fill hole from blowing by, so more work to be done there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
14inch's thread is majorily depressing in the last couple of pages.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm really worried about him.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Meth pychosis can last for a good while after last use.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The video he posted was honestly awful and I felt terrible watching it. This is coming from an old internet veteran of SA/ogrish/etc who will joke about anything.

The meth stuff has been obvious for a long time but it's getting to a point where I feel uncomfortable giving it an audience, grouphug goondolances or not. :(

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Homechef pretty much changed my wife and I's lives wrt eating out.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Homechef pretty much changed my wife and I's lives wrt eating out.

That looks kind of interesting. PM me a referral link and if I try it I'll use it.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Any form of the bachelor/ette/in paradise franchise crap makes me want to drink sulfuric acid. This is terrible. Why do people watch this?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In more lighthearted news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

:flashfap:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Any form of the bachelor/ette/in paradise franchise crap makes me want to drink sulfuric acid. This is terrible. Why do people watch this?

I'm convinced they are literal idiots. No one who is sane can watch that poo poo.

I'm freezing myself in carbonite until opening night.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I suppose I should see the most recent Star Wars movie one of these days.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Literal. Chills. Holy poo poo that's good.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm looking for a spare "strut"/"knee"/"hold-this-fucker-open!" thingie for my mate's roof cargo box. Box is a Mont Blanc Vista 450. I've found one, but it's expensive. What do I call this thing so I can google it? Alternatively, how can I get a part number out of Mont Blanc?

This is the one I found.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I had a coworker mention that their weekend was ruined because the finale to one of those shows was spoiled from them. I wish I could live a life that simple.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IS THAT THE MOTHERFUCKIN' DONNIE YEN AS A MOTHERFUCKIN' JEDI?

After being pretty "meh, okay" on TFA, I'm now fully sold on this movie purely because of Donnie Yen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

After being pretty "meh, okay" on TFA, I'm now fully sold on this movie purely because of Donnie Yen.

Despite the reports of behind the scenes chaos I'm confident this fill will be better than TFA.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Pham Nuwen posted:

I didn't even know who he was and I was like "DUDE" at his shot

(yes I've heard of Ip Man, no i have not seen it)

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Despite the reports of behind the scenes chaos I'm confident this fill will be better than TFA.

TFA was good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

TFA was good.

It was exceedingly mediocre.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Enourmo posted:

I didn't even know who he was and I was like "DUDE" at his shot

(yes I've heard of Ip Man, no i have not seen it)

Dude you MUST watch Ip Man. Also Dragon. Both are on Netflix. Ip Man 2 and 3, you can skip (although Ip Man 3 has Mike Tyson)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

1500quidporsche posted:

I had a coworker mention that their weekend was ruined because the finale to one of those shows was spoiled from them. I wish I could live a life that simple.

This comment lightened my mood considerably.

I'm not a Star Wars nerd by any means but that trailer looks awesome. I enjoyed TFA and if Disney wants to pump out films like that every year for the next five years then I will gladly watch them.

Speaking of films I started watching that doc called APEX: The Story of the Hypercar and it is really good. Beautifully shot and really makes me wish I was part of the .1% and not just the 3%.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

The diet part has been hard but I'd already cut out fast food and pop, beer wasn't hard to ditch. I'm going through about 10 bottles of water a day (bless you Costco) and have been trying very hard to eat well. Got the elliptical put back together tonight and of course I was dying at 10 minutes in. And just a week ago I could rock 40+ without any issues.

Fitness levels seem to drop off pretty rapidly if you stop exercising, this is why most people struggle to do it when they can only do it in fits and starts. They'll hit the gym one week with great intentions, struggle and then not go for a week or so. So the next time they go again they're right back where they started in terms of how it feels. Once you start, don't stop... I feel absolutely terrible after a week off my bike, two weeks I might as well just be starting over again as it feels that bad.

Also glad I wasn't the only one to appreciate Donnie Yen in that trailer, hopefully he gets some screen time.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Rhyno posted:

It was exceedingly mediocre.

so were two of the orig trilogy. empire was legit af tho

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^^ When compared to an awful lot of films released in the past few years, TFA was a loving masterpiece. When compared to a large chunk of films in its own franchise it's still superb.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

You can out-metabolise a lovely diet however, I do nothing but drink beer and eat fast food, I'm 42, and... welp. I'm 6'1 and 210 pounds, and I'm only 210 pounds because people women tell me I look too skinny at 200. Hooray for spending the first 25 years of my life doing athletic things every day.

Also Rhyno lives in indiana so his opinion on what sucks is irrelevant, sorry but TFA owned.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So Rogue One takes place before Force Awakens? Google says it takes places about 15 years before Rey's birth. Kinda dissapointed. I thought RO would pick up where FA left off.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So Rogue One takes place before Force Awakens? Google says it takes places about 15 years before Rey's birth. Kinda dissapointed. I thought RO would pick up where FA left off.

It takes place right before A New Hope. The rebels are trying to steal the plans for the Death Star, so expect many bothans to die.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Episode 8 comes out next year

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ah, gotcha.

Anyways, saw this on my way to the shop. Didn't know hellaflushstance was still a thing.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
That poor crx

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Speaking of films I started watching that doc called APEX: The Story of the Hypercar and it is really good. Beautifully shot and really makes me wish I was part of the .1% and not just the 3%.

Just watched that earlier this week. Agreed. Five minutes in, beautiful cars and Chris Harris, I was sold.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

It takes place right before A New Hope. The rebels are trying to steal the plans for the Death Star, so expect many bothans to die.

Many Bothans died for location of the second Death Star, not the plans for the first. This one is the first victory the Rebels had over the Empire mentioned in the opening scroll of A New Hope.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Many Bothans died for location of the second Death Star, not the plans for the first. This one is the first victory the Rebels had over the Empire mentioned in the opening scroll of A New Hope.

Trap sprung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

That poor crx

A Si to boot. RIP :rip:

• Locked thread