Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

IcePhoenix posted:

Walls are in play

Ok, wasn't sure if they were considered out of play or not. Would be a great play if I didn't hate the cubs so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Someday I hope Damien Magnifico saws a woman in half between games.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GeneX posted:

Amen

But dear lord do I wish Ian Kinsler was the more talked about jewish player

Kinsler is the first Jewish player to have a Jewish manager, too.

theacox posted:

Someday I hope Damien Magnifico saws a woman in half between games.

With baseball players, this may be more of a monkey's paw than you intend...

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Giants signed noted relief pitcher Joenathan notpapelbon.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

humpthewind posted:

I don't know if this link will work but here is Gary Sanchez killing a ball.

Edit: I'm bad at posting look it up yourselves

lol

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Poque posted:

Giants signed noted relief pitcher Joenathan notpapelbon.

Joe Nathan, pitcher of 2.1 innings in the last 2 years. Surely this is the last piece of the puzzle for SF.

Minor league deal? Heh, give it a few days.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
N: If it wasn't obvious the Padres are tanking, they've now batted Alexei Ramirez 2nd and 1st for the last two games.

V: Good. I'm tired of the Padres winning like 77 games and not being bad enough to get a top pick in the draft.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Beautiful tribute video from the Phillies to Utley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6cEOk7x4HA

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

after Miggy, Beltre, Cano, and Pujols, Altuve is the next most likely guy to get 3000 hits

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
gently caress the AL East. Jays aren't ever going to be able to relax even one game :(

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

:perfect:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

I seriously don't understand managers bringing in a reliever to IBB someone before facing the next batter. It always seems to go poorly. Just have the guy you're yanking off the mount throw 4 balls.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I seriously don't understand managers bringing in a reliever to IBB someone before facing the next batter. It always seems to go poorly. Just have the guy you're yanking off the mount throw 4 balls.

I don't understand it, either. Leyland used to pull poo poo like this.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

N: The LAA snap an 11 game losing streak tonight

V: Free Trout

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Cubs starters in August: 10-0, 96.2 IP, 12 ER, 1.12 ERA, 0.797 WHIP, 83 K, 18 BB, -0.083 FIP, 8 HR against

Cubs bullpen in August: 2-2, 31.1 IP, 17 ER, 4.88 ERA, 1.596 WHIP, 36 K, 16 BB, 2.138 FIP, 7 HR against

August bullpen ERAs: Montgomery/Chapman/Grimm 0.00, Wood 6.23, Smith 7.36, Strop 7.71, Edwards 15.00, Rondon 15.43

Chapman doesn't fix everything but no matter what they do this is going to be a feast or famine bullpen the rest of the way.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: Dodgers are in sole possession of first place for the first time since May 11th.

V: Thanks Buccos!

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 17, 2016

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Doing it in the first place was pretty much nuts regardless of who you have do the IBB. Beltre is in Bob Melvin's head

e: unrelated but that dipshit Astros prospect who charged Yohander Mendez after a fairly innocuous HBP and started a brawl like a month ago got suspended for beating his girlfriend on the Hooks' own security camera

e2: not just suspended, but arrested :eyepop:

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 17, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Giants lose first place

49ers sign Christian Ponder

what a day what a day

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Martin and Sanchez both hitting two home runs in the jays/nyy game is apparently just the 4th time two starting catchers have had a multi home run game , and first time its happened in the AL. Seems like it would have happened more often but I guess that's baseball for ya

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
http://m.mlb.com/nym/video/v1060032983/nymari-thor-crushes-415foot-homer-to-right-field/?tcid=mm_nym_vid&c_id=nym

Down with the DH.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Good job. We haven't had a 5 page derail about the DH in a month or so

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CubsWoo posted:

-0.083 FIP

this does not seem accurate

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Goodpancakes posted:

no don't

:getin:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Just give Trout to the Yankees and save everyone some time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

elentar posted:

Little surprised, thought they would leave him down through the Southern League playoffs and then bring him and Albies up together once that was done. Exciting though, likely means they will have him in Atlanta from Opening Day on next year.

They are risking Buxtoning him by pushing him this aggressively.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

https://twitter.com/ARizzo44/status/765914960211775489

Rizzowns.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Goodpancakes posted:

Angels are going to blow their top 5 pick this year, aren't they?

They're going to be just as bad next year too. Hopefully two years of high draft picks combined with tons of salary room becoming available means they'll be able to contend in 2018. They still have Trout through 2020 when some of those draft picks are hopefully ready.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Good Dog posted:

Angels are going to blow their top 5 pick this year, aren't they?

They're going to be just as bad next year too. Hopefully two years of high draft picks combined with tons of salary room becoming available means they'll be able to contend in 2018. They still have Trout through 2020 when some of those draft picks are hopefully ready.

They'll also still have Albert, at least in theory. Please let him continue to mash dingers.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Counterpoint: No.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
For anyone interested in swing mechanics Josh Donaldson does a really good job of explaining modern thinking (rotational hitting) on hitting. You can see the contrast as DeRosa talks about how he never heard these terms or thought about anything but his hands in regards to his swing which is a very old school way of thinking about hitting. Rotational hitting focuses primarily on the hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyWNCrxVzPU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

According to a random baggage handler on Reddit, Tommy La Stella's bags have been loaded onto a plane and he's headed to Knoxville - possibly to start his DFA with Tennessee?

Poque posted:

this does not seem accurate

No, it's correct. ((13 x 8HR) + (3 x 18 BB) - (2 x 83 K) / (96 + (2/3) IP)

(104+54-166)/(96.666) = (-8)/(96.666) = -0.0827 FIP rounded to -.083

Rondon actually had a -0.15 FIP through mid-May this year and FIP can go negative in smaller sample size environments like this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CubsWoo posted:

No, it's correct. ((13 x 8HR) + (3 x 18 BB) - (2 x 83 K) / (96 + (2/3) IP)

(104+54-166)/(96.666) = (-8)/(96.666) = -0.0827 FIP rounded to -.083

Rondon actually had a -0.15 FIP through mid-May this year and FIP can go negative in smaller sample size environments like this.

that's ignoring the FIP constant that goes on the end of the equation though. their FIP in August was 3.18.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Maddon confirms La Stella will report to AA for a minor league assignment. This also presumably means he'll be back up at roster expansions, if not sooner provided he struck some kind of bargain? Who knows. Would be lying if I said I didn't miss his bat, in any case.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Guess which two teams with large SAS fanbases are currently tied for the lead in runners left on base???????

https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/765931234174312448

(The Cubs are 2nd in MLB in OBP with .345 and the Giants are tied for 4th with .332)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Number of base runners stranded is not a particularly useful metric.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah it is, it tells you that the Cubs and Giants are unclutch and lack The Look.

They don't give 100%.

They don't play with heart.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

So has Bob Melvin fessed yet to either losing track of the number of outs or of where the base runners were, because that poo poo was baffling. It doesn't matter how much they respect Beltre, it wouldn't make sense even if it was 2004 Barry Bonds.

It kind of reminds me of the maybe one college football game you see every season where one of the captains gets confused when they win the coin flip and elects to "kick" when he's supposed to "defer" and the coach almost always covers for him after the game and contrives some reason why it made sense to give the other team the ball at the beginning of both halves.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 17, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah it is, it tells you that the Cubs and Giants are unclutch and lack The Look.

They don't give 100%.

Now that Hunter is back the team will Rally Around Him and Just Win Games.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

They don't give 100%.

:agreed:

This should have been obvious though. The Giants signed a bunch of expensive free agents last winter, and everyone knows you can't buy chemistry.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves already dumped Aviles. They also put Pierzynski on the DL with a case of old.

• Locked thread