Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Tighclops posted:

There was no part of Andromeda that was better than BSG or nearly any other show. No part.
Lexa Doig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Where's Cleopatra 2525 stack up, or for that matter Homeboys From Outer Space?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Below Lexx, above Tripping The Rift (everything is above Tripping The Rift.)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Other than Zathras, Zathras was the best character in Babylon 5

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

You know what just struck me? Nobody in the show ever calls Martians "Dusters".

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Also nobody calls people Mooninites

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

bitprophet posted:

I still recommend B5 to people today but I generously lather on the obligatory caveats about basically everything you mentioned. If someone somehow hasn't seen it & thinks they have a good tolerance for poor aging, by all means I'm gonna tell them to check it out and/or lend them my DVDs.

Something that new watchers of Bab5 should be aware of is the preferred viewing order. You have a few movies (and Crusade, but apparently that is some dire poo poo) that slot in at certain points, as well as a few episodes that should be watched in a different order for more impact.

And speaking of Blake's 7, does it go down in history as the only TV show where the hero is sentenced to prison for molesting children?

NmareBfly posted:

Below Lexx, above Tripping The Rift (everything is above Tripping The Rift.)

Well, the series that spun-off from the original Tripping the Rift short. Because that was great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Gromit posted:

Something that new watchers of Bab5 should be aware of is the preferred viewing order. You have a few movies (and Crusade, but apparently that is some dire poo poo) that slot in at certain points, as well as a few episodes that should be watched in a different order for more impact.

Link to this?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agronox posted:

Also, Sinclair > Sheridan come at me bro
Of the two, Sinclair would certainly make the better trestle table...

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Gromit posted:

Which episodes should be watched in a different order? That's a new one to me.

Start with the pilot, work your way through the various seasons in order. Watch In The Beginning after Season 4. Watch Thirdspace about mid Season-4. Feel free to ignore the other movies.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

Which episodes should be watched in a different order? That's a new one to me.

Start with the pilot, work your way through the various seasons in order. Watch In The Beginning after Season 4. Watch Thirdspace about mid Season-4. Feel free to ignore the other movies.

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/master/eplist.html

This is the 20+ year old master episode guide and viewing list.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Grand Fromage posted:

This just sounds like you haven't watched much. The worst episode of BSG is better than most TV sci-fi ever filmed. The goon revisionist hyperbole about BSG is nuts.

As the show progressed it became more and more of a muddled mess and ending was pure undiluted cat poo poo. There is nothing revisionist about that, it was pretty much my opinion when it aired. It's worse exactly because of how high it fell from, it was really really good for like two and half seasons. Then the fact that the writers didn't have any plan whatsoever began creeping in more and more.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

koreban posted:

What're the differences though? I mean, just looking at the Season 1 episode list, it's breaking up what's probably the strongest part of the season (Voice in the Wilderness through to Chrysalis) with TKO and Legacies.

Actually, I'm really curious so I'm looking into this. Okay, so, Legacies has something that needs Babylon Squared to have happened before. No information on the TKO switch that I can find.

The Season 2 switch (of Soul Mates and Race Through Dark Places) there works because Talia's arc makes much more sense.

The Season 3 switches don't seem to matter at all.

None in Season 4, which isn't surprising.

Season 5... I think Day of the Dead works much better as episode 8 than 12. It doesn't seem right to set it after The Ragged Edge, it seems like it'd break things up too much, and I can't seem to find the reasoning why it was shuffled.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

That's fine, but there was a whole lot of love during the show that has turned into retroactive "worst show ever" stuff. It's a pattern, I've rarely seen a show that doesn't abruptly get legions of hate on the internet around season three. It's like clockwork. I don't get it.

DarkCrawler posted:

As the show progressed it became more and more of a muddled mess and ending was pure undiluted cat poo poo. There is nothing revisionist about that, it was pretty much my opinion when it aired. It's worse exactly because of how high it fell from, it was really really good for like two and half seasons. Then the fact that the writers didn't have any plan whatsoever began creeping in more and more.

The later seasons are carried so much by the acting, the score and some amazing scenes. So many of the principal cast turn in amazing performances.

BSG had some truly dire episodes. The Woman King - a climactic episode for a cut subplot. Black Market - the episode that gives Lee a wife that not a single character ever mentioned before or talks about later. All those episodes in Season 2 that make use of disjointed time sequencing. Hero - some maudlin drama about how Adama might have been responsible for the attack on the Colonies. I'm sure there's more.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

What're the differences though?

Some of that comes down to filming/production order. They aired episodes out of order, which had weird knock on story arc effects.

Others are one-off episodes that just "feel" better by nerds who had far more time to put into worrying about this stuff than I did for the last 20 years.

That lurker's guide site has been up since the mid-90s and at this point I'm willing to just accept it canonically. I've watched the series in the airing/DVD order and again in the lurker's order and tbh, I just watch in the lurker's order for continuity sake now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think it matters much for B5 but Crusade was aired entirely out of order. Movies you can watch after. In the Beginning is great and you must watch, the rest are up to you. Thirdspace is okay I guess? Don't watch Legend of the Rangers unless you're planning to MST3K it with friends.

One of the Lost Tales episodes is decent.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I thought all the Lost Tales were pretty good, but that might be the nostalgia speaking.

Crusade however, a bit poo poo, even with nostalgia.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm watching B5 for the first time, only just watched Mind War from season 1 last night. Should I continue with the disc order or use the Lurker's Guide?

I watched The Gathering first but not In The Beginning. I'll save that for after season 4.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I'm watching B5 for the first time, only just watched Mind War from season 1 last night. Should I continue with the disc order or use the Lurker's Guide?

I watched The Gathering first but not In The Beginning. I'll save that for after season 4.

Disc order is fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. DO NOT watch In the Beginning until much later. Don't skip episodes, they all contribute something to the overall plot.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
B5 is amazing and BSG is amazing. As SciFi TV fans we really don't have much to choose from as 'best'.

I also hate the revisionist bullshit that BSG sucks. I swear it is mostly due to the fact that SciFi fans don't like the idea of religious aspects being in their SciFi shows which BSG was very heavy with at the end. S3E4 is the peak of SciFi on television in my opinion. Nothing has even come close to that episode since... and I just realized that was almost 10 years ago. gently caress.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Honestly, it was never the religious stuff that got to me. I checked out near the end of Season 2 (specifically after the reveal that Lee had been seeing that random woman the whole time, apparently). The writing seemed to be getting more gimmicky and repetitive and I was already really, really sick of the "everyone's a Cylon!" poo poo. Really though, I think it was the characters that killed it for me. I couldn't stand Starbuck being an irresponsible jerk but getting away with it because she was just such a badass she could do anything, Lee Adama was painfully dull, the hallucinatory blond in the red dress kept showing up to grind the plot to a halt, and the general frothy angstiness of the whole thing really started getting to me. I suppose I partly stopped because I'd heard the fan consensus that it just got worse from there and I'll probably finish the series to see for myself one of these years, but as much as I loved the first ten episodes or so, I'm sadly not that invested in finding out how the story ends.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

insider posted:

I also hate the revisionist bullshit that BSG sucks.

My suspicion is that it's similar to any other situation where early potential (or pre-release hype, which is the most common manifestation) doesn't fully pan out. The show was on what seemed like a mind-blowingly good trajectory the first few seasons, then lost steam to a degree / became uneven, and had a generally disappointing/unfulfilling ending.

Most people (or at least...most goons :v:) over-correct, and turn "show did not maintain its awesomesauce 100% of run" into "RARGH! WORST SHOW EVER!! SURE GLAD I WASN'T SUPER INTO IT BEFORE!!! THEN I'D LOOK STUPID!!!!"

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I think there's also the fact that most people are not professional critics. We'll know intuitively that "I don't like this/it's bad now," but we won't necessarily know why so we'll tend to latch onto whatever element sticks out, whether or not it's really the biggest issue.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I thought the show was great for much of its run. There are several episodes that I still think are among the best in the genre. The characters were engaging and well-developed, and there were interesting plot hooks all over the place. Weird choices like "The Woman King" aside, most of the problems cropped up when it came time to start actually resolving those plots. As I understand it, the writers were mostly winging it, and I think it really showed in how things wrapped up.

My disappointment in the show is "revisionist" only insofar as it's hard to find the breadcrumbs interesting when I know they don't lead anywhere.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Fatdama was the peak of BSG.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It probably doesn't help that BSG's last major release was The Plan. With the exception of Bear's score and the sequence of the Cylons hitting the Colonies, it was a complete mess.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

It probably doesn't help that BSG's last major release was The Plan. With the exception of Bear's score and the sequence of the Cylons hitting the Colonies, it was a complete mess.

Wasn't that also the one that had Tigh at a bar going "YEAAAH!"? I remember liking that bit.

I thought Blood & Chrome was decent for what it was.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 18, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

koreban posted:

The order I have is a "fixed" version of that with some extra comments about some decisions - some of the lurker choices were altered or reverted. A friend of mine just watched the whole lot a couple of months ago and made some revisions.
But in the end it is all just some guy's opinion, so you might as well do whatever you want.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gromit posted:

The order I have is a "fixed" version of that with some extra comments about some decisions - some of the lurker choices were altered or reverted. A friend of mine just watched the whole lot a couple of months ago and made some revisions.
But in the end it is all just some guy's opinion, so you might as well do whatever you want.

Sure. In the end, you start with In the Beginning/Midnight on the Firing Line and end with Sleeping in Light/Deconstruction of Falling Stars, so what's between is subjective.

I followed the Lurker's Guide from back when it was hosted on angelfire or ferocities or whatever, so I'm somewhat partial to their order personally, and having seen the newsgroup posts for decades as nerds argued over it, I pretty well took it as the best that the biggest B5 nerds on the Internet could come up with.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tigh was awesome, XO of my heart :patriot:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well, there's this version of the order which keeps In the Beginning until pretty much the very end, presumably to keep the mystery of season one alive.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 18, 2016

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Here's the Babylon 5 viewing order stuff I was given, "improved" from the original lurker choices:

quote:

Season 1

Movie: The Gathering
1x01: Midnight on the Firing Line
1x02: Soul Hunter
1x03: Born to the Purple
1x04: Infection
1x05: The Parliament of Dreams
1x06: Mind War
1x07: The War Prayer
1x08: And the Sky Full of Stars
1x09: Deathwalker
1x10: Believers
1x11: Survivors
1x12: By Any Means Necessary
1x13: Signs and Portents
1x14: TKO
1x15: Grail
1x16: Eyes
1x18: A Voice in the Wilderness (1)
1x19: A Voice in the Wilderness (2)
1x20: Babylon Squared
1x21: The Quality of Mercy
1x17: Legacies
1x22: Chrysalis

Season 2

2x01: Points of Departure
2x02: Revelations
2x03: The Geometry of Shadows
2x04: A Distant Star
2x05: The Long Dark
2x06: Spider in the Web
2x08: A Race Through Dark Places
2x07: Soul Mates
2x09: The Coming of Shadows
2x10: GROPOS
2x11: All Alone in the Night
2x12: Acts of Sacrifice
2x13: Hunter, Prey
2x14: There All the Honor Lies
2x15: And Now for a Word
2x17: Knives
2x16: In the Shadow of Z’ha’dum
2x18: Confessions and Lamentations
2x19: Divided Loyalties
2x20: The Long Twilight Struggle
2x21: Comes the Inquisitor
2x22: The Fall of Night

Season 3

3x01: Matters of Honor
3x02: Convictions
3x03: A Day in the Strife
3x04: Passing Through Gethsemane
3x05: Voices of Authority
3x06: Dust to Dust
3x07: Exogenesis
3x08: Messages from Earth (1)
3x09: Point of No Return (2)
3x10: Severed Dreams (3)
3x11: Ceremonies of Light and Dark
3x13: A Late Delivery from Avalon
3x12: Sic Transit Vir
3x14: Ship of Tears
3x15: Interludes and Examinations
3x18: Walkabout
3x16: War Without End (1)
3x17: War Without End (2)
3x19: Grey 17 Is Missing
3x20: And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place
3x21: Shadow Dancing
3x22: Z’ha’dum

Season 4

4x01: The Hour of the Wolf
4x02: What Ever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?
4x03: The Summoning
4x04: Falling Towards Apotheosis
4x05: The Long Night
4x06: Into the Fire
4x07: Epiphanies
4x08: The Illusion of Truth
Movie: Thirdspace
4x09: Atonement
Movie: In the Beginning
4x10: Racing Mars
4x11: Lines of Communication
4x12: Conflicts of Interest
4x13: Rumors, Bargains and Lies
4x14: Moments of Transition
4x15: No Surrender, No Retreat
4x16: Exercise of Vital Powers
4x17: The Face of the Enemy
4x18: Intersections in Real Time
4x19: Between the Darkness and the Light
4x20: Endgame
4x21: Rising Star
4x22: The Deconstruction of Falling Stars

Season 5

5x01: No Compromises
5x02: The Very Long Night of Londo Mollari
5x03: The Paragon of Animals
5x04: A View from the Gallery
5x05: Learning Curve
5x06: Strange Relations
5x07: Secrets of the Soul
5x09: In the Kingdom of the Blind
5x10: A Tragedy of Telepaths
5x11: Phoenix Rising
5x12: The Ragged Edge
5x08: Day of the Dead
5x13: The Corps Is Mother, the Corps Is Father
5x14: Meditations on the Abyss
5x15: Darkness Ascending
5x16: And All My Dreams Torn Asunder
5x17: Movements of Fire and Shadow (1)
5x18: The Fall of Centauri Prime (2)
5x19: The Wheel of Fire
Movie: The Legend of the Rangers
Movie: A Call to Arms
Movie: The Lost Tales: Voices in the Dark
5x20: Objects in Motion
Movie: River of Souls
5x21: Objects at Rest
5x22: Sleeping in Light

I haven't watched this show since it was on TV back in the mid 90s, but hope to marathon a bunch of it at some point to see how well it has held up.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Agronox posted:

Also, Sinclair > Sheridan come at me bro
I agree. Sinclair may have been overwrought, but Sheridan was cheezeball.

Sinclair and Talia Winters always struck me as film noir characters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Wasn't that also the one that had Tigh at a bar going "YEAAAH!"? I remember liking that bit.

I thought Blood & Chrome was decent for what it was.

It was total poo poo and I regret watching it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The soundtrack was rad, though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tighclops posted:

The soundtrack was rad, though.

It also had zoom in on the cock

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Milky Moor posted:

I've always had a soft spot for Lovejoy as space grave robber but other than that River Of Souls is pretty bad, yeah. Regarding that can of worms opened earlier in the thread, DS9 and Voyager are really quite awful shows; TNG (which is amazing) is the only Star Trek that doesn't suck, aside from the Klingon episodes which can be safely skipped.

This reminds me that I need to read Abaddon's Gate before the show starts up again. The first couple were great but I got a few chapters into the third and found I didn't really care about anything that was happening.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Uh...did you just dis TOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

tooterfish posted:

Uh...did you just dis TOS?

Ah, I meant the "modern ones". TOS is great fun but I haven't seen the entire run. DS9/Voyager have zero redeeming features and are basically trash - Enterprise, while still not being very good, is better than either. DS9 is basically Sliders quality SciFi.

• Locked thread