Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

General_Failure posted:

What's the best forum for raspberry pi hardware stuff? Like custom interfacing projects etc? I'm half considering doing a laptop transplant on one. I went digging in my shed and found some 286 to early Pentium laptops. If one happens to be defunct it would make a good donor.

Well if any of those work I might be interested in buying them, assuming they have working power supplies and you can tell me the models.

Anyway, the best place is probably the Raspberry Pi forums themselves, like this thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=100143

It'll tend to be easier to build a pi into a more modern laptop, because it's easier to get a hold of boards to convert the Pi's HDMI to those laptop's style of screen connector, than to do with the connectors in really old laptops. Not impossible by any means though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Does anyone know of a vendor/reseller that offers a discount for bulk orders, preferably in the US? I'm looking to do a group buy with my co-workers if I can find a reasonable discount on 20-30 Pi3Bs and 40-50 PiZeros.

I would've sworn that when the 3B first came out, I saw several sites offering tiered discounts if you ordered 5+, 10+, 20+ but am not seeing that on any of the big sites now (adafruit, pihut, pimoroni). Figured I'd post here before I start emailing vendors.

I don't expect much discount on the Zeros (free shipping and/or ~$4/ea would be nice) but would love to get down to $30-ish/ea for the 3Bs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently I missed the kickstarter, but some group released a board called the "lattepanda". It's about the size of a raspberry pi.

Looks like a cherry trail Intel atom 32 bit cpu, couple gigs of RAM, couple gigs of emmc storage, and the moderately interesting part, an Angel (arduino) coprocessor.

Two GPIO direct from the Intel Atom, and ~12 GPIO from the arduino subsystem.

Wifi, HDMI, usb 2/3, about $110

Oh yeah and it comes with Windows 10, pc edition, preinstalled.

I love all these new devices but support is generally trash and requires way too much wrangling to get things working reliably. The Pi might be a terrible value of the surface, especially compared to devices like the Chip9 or ODroid etc, but when you pull the pi out of the box it works every time. My Chip9 arrived with a hosed rom and I had to wait 6 weeks for a compatible bootloader to be released. gently caress that. Buy a Pi3 and you can have a functional robot by the end of the afternoon. All the documentation is up to date and the boot image works out of the box with no weird compatibility issues, half working hardware etc. I never did manage to get my Orange Pi PC board (the one with three usb ports) to post.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 22, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

gently caress that. Buy a Pi3 and you can have a functional robot by the end of the afternoon.
Yeah the other stuff is just infuriating to work with, especially when you're not an EE and you just want poo poo to work.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

cherry trail Intel atom 32 bit cpu

Doesn't exist. They might have a 32-bit EFI or something screwed up like that on it, but Atoms have all supported 64-bit for a while now unless there's some weird embedded systems model without it that I missed. Cherry Trail definitely supports x86-64.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Pi isn't perfect. The Raspbian developers change things all the time, and finding help can be really hard when 100 tutorials have been written about how to enable serial over Bluetooth (or hostapd or ...) on an old version of Raspbian, but none of them work with the current version.

Getting Wifi and BT things working on older Pi models is going to get harder and harder as all of the focus shifts to the built in BT and Wifi on the Pi 3.

I have used an Odroid C1 and an Orange Pi PC, so I have seen that Pi has better "support" than most SBCs. I'd still rather do things with x86 if I can. I wonder if AMD could make any money diversifying into the SBC market. Make a reference design and let their usual board partners go nuts. A really cheap x86 SBC with a minimal number of GCN units and a couple of Jaguar cores would probably be useful for something. It seems like compatibility would be pretty good at least. All of the current x86 SBC products have been based on Atom.

Is there any place in America where I can order a bunch of Pi Zero boards at once?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Not exactly a raspberry pi but Arduinos are fairly close.

What equipment do I actually need to burn a hex file onto an Arduino via ICSP? I've managed to destroy the bootloader of mine trying to upload a hex file with AVRdude.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Since I heard about it here, is anyone else backing the Omega2?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux
I'm picking up a 2+ and the Arduino board and might add on a few extra base models just because they're $5, though I don't know how useful they'll be without breaking out the GPIO.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

fishmech posted:

Well if any of those work I might be interested in buying them, assuming they have working power supplies and you can tell me the models.

Anyway, the best place is probably the Raspberry Pi forums themselves, like this thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=100143

It'll tend to be easier to build a pi into a more modern laptop, because it's easier to get a hold of boards to convert the Pi's HDMI to those laptop's style of screen connector, than to do with the connectors in really old laptops. Not impossible by any means though.

Another reply disappeared into oblivion. Dammit. I'll get back to you when I have more info.

Easier? It's easier to just use a netbook and forget the Pi. But that's not the point. The Pi is a pointless thing in most respects. Where it shines is it lets people try ideas and can apply to some edge cases too where customisation is needed. I see it as a modern 80s computer. I can expand it by slapping stuff onto its GPIO.

Fishmech, don't worry. I'd never wreck a piece of vintage hardware for what I'd like to do. If one is thoroughly dead it might get the treatment though. Although I'd be more likely to have another crack at reviving my "good" 286 laptop rather than scrap it. Big wide-screen LCD. 6MB RAM, FPU, dual hot swappable battery cartridges etc. It was a beast!

I guess there's another good thing about the Pi. It can run RISC OS.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux
I'm picking up a 2+ and the Arduino board and might add on a few extra base models just because they're $5, though I don't know how useful they'll be without breaking out the GPIO.

Yeah I'm getting a couple to replace the idea of using a raspi zero for small headless projects, since the zeros are hard to get and don't have built-in wifi. The omega2 is a much cheaper alternative (except the expansion boards are $$$). We'll see how well they do once they arrive.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Be aware that these old notebooks don't use lithium cells but NiCd/NiMh based ones, both of which are pretty toxic and corrosive (with NiCd being banned in most consumer electronics at least in the EU by now as a result) and will with a very high probability have leaked if not in regular usage by now. These old LCDs also have slightly different requirements regarding power and their power infrastructure, also adapting the keyboards of them to work properly with something like a Pi might be a lot of effort. I doubt it will be worth the effort or will give you a pleasant result. Never really got why people want to put the Pi into cases of other things, the results pretty much always look pretty ghetto and even if not it's all kinda pointless, Now one of those Pi-powered smart mirrors, that's one project that I find personally interesting and would do if I had a use for it. but that's just my opinion, no offense meant. These old computers, contrary to more modern ones, you can usually repair with normal hobbyist tools and some knowledge, it's often just a question of the amount of effort/money you want to put into it. I once had a thread about old computer repair in this very subforum but it sorta died. If you ever need help with any repair of such ancient stuff, feel free to hit me up via PM.

-
For other people that might not have heard of it, there has been some serious improvement to the Pi's analog audio output through an experimental option in firmware which can be enabled via config.txt setting: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=136445. The thread didn't seem to get much response and I found it more or less on accident while googling for ideas to make the sound bearable so I'm posting it here. I'm no audiophile but I couldn't stand the Pi's sound quality either, especially the distortion and hissing was pretty noticeable and annoying. With the stated setting in that thread, all these problems are gone and I'm perfectly fine with my Pi 2s sound output, even for listening to music and movies. (but as I said, I'm not picky so YMMV) The setting apparently is still experimental as some people have problems with it. I guess it's patches like this that give the objectively not-that-well equipped Pi the edge over better but less supported products.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Methanar posted:

Not exactly a raspberry pi but Arduinos are fairly close.

What equipment do I actually need to burn a hex file onto an Arduino via ICSP? I've managed to destroy the bootloader of mine trying to upload a hex file with AVRdude.

You can use another Arduino, I've done it before and it works great: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Hadlock posted:

Apparently I missed the kickstarter, but some group released a board called the "lattepanda". It's about the size of a raspberry pi.

Looks like a cherry trail Intel atom 32 bit cpu, couple gigs of RAM, couple gigs of emmc storage, and the moderately interesting part, an Angel (arduino) coprocessor.

Two GPIO direct from the Intel Atom, and ~12 GPIO from the arduino subsystem.

Wifi, HDMI, usb 2/3, about $110

Oh yeah and it comes with Windows 10, pc edition, preinstalled.

I love all these new devices but support is generally trash and requires way too much wrangling to get things working reliably. The Pi might be a terrible value of the surface, especially compared to devices like the Chip9 or ODroid etc, but when you pull the pi out of the box it works every time. My Chip9 arrived with a hosed rom and I had to wait 6 weeks for a compatible bootloader to be released. gently caress that. Buy a Pi3 and you can have a functional robot by the end of the afternoon. All the documentation is up to date and the boot image works out of the box with no weird compatibility issues, half working hardware etc. I never did manage to get my Orange Pi PC board (the one with three usb ports) to post.

Haven't seen it, but don't get SBCs off kickstarter. By the time they actually ship, something newer, faster, cheaper, or less risky will be out. This market is really quick right now.

Like the first Onion Omega and CHIP, that finally shipped right around the unveiling of the Zero.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah ordering the Chip9 was a mistake from a timing perspective. Now that it's relatively mature, it's actually a pretty kick rear end device if you're planning on using it for battery powered applications, given that it has both WiFi and an integrated 3.3/4.2v charging circuit. It's not powerful enough to do opencv at an acceptable speed, but it will happily be the brain for an ultrasound sonar robot and maybe 4fpm of CV as needed.

I wish more SBC had onboard 3.3v charging support; 18650s have insane capacity these days and are under $4/cell

Eletriarnation posted:

Doesn't exist. They might have a 32-bit EFI or something screwed up like that on it, but Atoms have all supported 64-bit for a while now unless there's some weird embedded systems model without it that I missed. Cherry Trail definitely supports x86-64.

Hmm that's odd, I was looking at the Q&A section on their (only?) reseller and the manufacturer had replied that it was 32 bit. So there's definitely an inconsistency there somewhere.

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

I found a thing and need to share it with y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7cc4eLAOMk

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

God, I feel dumber for watching that.

You could just plug the whole thing in to a powered USB hub and immerse it in a $3 Tupperware container full of $1 worth of (1 liter) mineral oil for full oil immersion.

I like how water cooling provided zero overclocking benefits over air.

eames
May 9, 2009

The pump probably generates more heat than the SoC. :waycool:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

General_Failure posted:

Easier? It's easier to just use a netbook and forget the Pi. But that's not the point.
netbook don't do GPIO for 20 bucks.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hadlock posted:

Hmm that's odd, I was looking at the Q&A section on their (only?) reseller and the manufacturer had replied that it was 32 bit. So there's definitely an inconsistency there somewhere.

Could have a 32 bit EFI, as I said. There's no reason to do it as far as I'm aware but that didn't stop ASUS from doing it to the X205. I tried for hours to try and finagle a 64-bit OS onto that machine but it's just not possible, the boot sequence just won't touch it the same as if the processor was actually 32-bit. One forum I found while searching for answers postulated that maybe they only have 32-bit drivers available but they could just say that instead of entirely locking out 64-bit code, so IDK.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

GobiasIndustries posted:

That thing seems pretty seriously underpowered compared to the zero. The only benefit I see is that it has wifi. Unless you get the $9 one, you cant even put an sd card in it.

maybe they'll actually be available though.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Anybody had a go at setting up PiVPN?

I've got it installed and did the relevant router configuration, I've used the OpenVPN Connect app on my phone and imported the .ovpn file and can successfully connect however every website I load just comes up with "Connection Interrupted".

I'm inclined to say it's a DNS issue because I caught a glimpse of a few errors mentioning it, the Pi is also acting as a DNS server running PiHole since that's the whole reason why I want to setup a VPN.

Is there anything I'm missing? Inside OpnVPN Connect it does state my IPv4 address is 10.8.0.6 which is pretty odd, my router only hands out 192.168.0.0

EDIT:
Better yet OpenVPN for Android shows a log with the following;

I did a reinstall and pointed DNS towards the static address running PiHole, so I'm not sure what else is missing.

EDIT:
I found I need to be editing the actual OpenVPN server.conf (located /etc/openvpn/server.conf) and change the push DNS setting there, problem is I still can't get it to work properly unless I use Google's DNS or my router. Using both the Pi and Google DNS listings I can connect to sites and block their ads for a short while before they come back again.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 24, 2016

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I was given a 2b pi. My issue is I don't have a USB keyboard, but I do have a. Rubber ducky. Could someone please tell me the keyboard commands to get to a terminal screen. So I can setup setup and config ssh.thanks

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I don't think you can do it with a rubber ducky. Try it with one of those sharks that you fill up with baking powder and then it fizzes with the bath water to propel itself around

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

joebuddah posted:

I was given a 2b pi. My issue is I don't have a USB keyboard, but I do have a. Rubber ducky. Could someone please tell me the keyboard commands to get to a terminal screen. So I can setup setup and config ssh.thanks

Forum posting AI is getting really good

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

netbook don't do GPIO for 20 bucks.

Tape an Arduino to it.

I have to ask, where'd you pull the $20 figure from?

e: ^^^^ How the hell did I not see that?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I thought pi2's were ~20 bucks, but apparently they're not really cheaper now.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

By rubber ducky he means:

https://hakshop.myshopify.com/products/usb-rubber-ducky-deluxe?variant=353378649

:v:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

I thought pi2's were ~20 bucks, but apparently they're not really cheaper now.

No. :( I was hoping to pick up an older Pi with ethernet to dedicate to RISC OS, but there's not much difference between the Pi3 and the others price wise. My 3 set me back like AUD$70. Wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for me being in a bad mood, up stupidly late against my will, and being sick and cold. It's funny how perspective can change.

Police Automaton posted:

Be aware that these old notebooks don't use lithium cells but NiCd/NiMh based ones, both of which are pretty toxic and corrosive (with NiCd being banned in most consumer electronics at least in the EU by now as a result) and will with a very high probability have leaked if not in regular usage by now.
I'll try to remember not to lick them.
The actual batteries were shot maybe 18 years ago when I ended up with the thing. Holy poo poo that was a long time ago. drat I got old fast.

quote:

These old LCDs also have slightly different requirements regarding power and their power infrastructure, also adapting the keyboards of them to work properly with something like a Pi might be a lot of effort. I doubt it will be worth the effort or will give you a pleasant result. Never really got why people want to put the Pi into cases of other things, the results pretty much always look pretty ghetto and even if not it's all kinda pointless,
Just because. Well, I was going to put the Pi Zero into the case of a big old modem I have, and use panel mount extension lead things for interfacing. But then I opened the modem. And it was beautiful. I couldn't bring myself to desecrate it even if it were useless. It was low volume and locally made.
Making keyboards work isn't too bad. I have an Amiga 500 that I gave a PS2 port because the desk was too small to fit the A500. I also gave it a proto boarded IDE controller mostly made of parts pulled from old PC motherboards.
The monitor would be a challenge for sure. One I'm not sure I could achieve without some $$ parts.

quote:

Now one of those Pi-powered smart mirrors, that's one project that I find personally interesting and would do if I had a use for it. but that's just my opinion, no offense meant. These old computers, contrary to more modern ones, you can usually repair with normal hobbyist tools and some knowledge, it's often just a question of the amount of effort/money you want to put into it. I once had a thread about old computer repair in this very subforum but it sorta died. If you ever need help with any repair of such ancient stuff, feel free to hit me up via PM.
Good to know! I'm no stranger to it myself but being able to talk to someone is a very useful thing.

quote:

-
Pi audio stuff
I just wanted to comment on this. Is the PWM audio really that bad? I've honestly never used it. When I have needed sound I've used BT speaker or headphones. To me the concept of the RPi audio is a lot like using a PC's internal speaker as the audio output. I'd rather not.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post

General_Failure posted:

No. :( I was hoping to pick up an older Pi with ethernet to dedicate to RISC OS, but there's not much difference between the Pi3 and the others price wise. My 3 set me back like AUD$70. Wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for me being in a bad mood, up stupidly late against my will, and being sick and cold. It's funny how perspective can change.

Same, I regret giving away my Pi 1, it would have been perfect for this.

quote:

Making keyboards work isn't too bad. I have an Amiga 500 that I gave a PS2 port because the desk was too small to fit the A500. I also gave it a proto boarded IDE controller mostly made of parts pulled from old PC motherboards.
The monitor would be a challenge for sure. One I'm not sure I could achieve without some $$ parts.

Still have my A2000 on my desk here for regular use and a few of my first modems lying around. :hf:

quote:

I just wanted to comment on this. Is the PWM audio really that bad? I've honestly never used it. When I have needed sound I've used BT speaker or headphones. To me the concept of the RPi audio is a lot like using a PC's internal speaker as the audio output. I'd rather not.

Yes, quite honestly it's bad, I don't even mean "look at these oscilloscope screenshots"-bad but you can really hear it, and I say that as as a definitive non-audiophile. To be entirely fair to the Pi though I think there are two user errors people might mistake for overall bad audio quality by design which cloud the issue: 1) The line level output of the Pi really isn't meant to drive things like most headphones directly and then countering the low volume with higher volume settings will only cause more distortion, an amp helps *a lot* here 2) If you have weird interference like for example CPU load/SD card access noise on your Pi's analog audio output with your amp then that's very probably not a quality problem with the Pis audio but a grounding issue in your setup. These can be hard to detect especially because many people are not aware they are even a thing.

With the firmware option I personally find the Pi is perfectly fine for general audio. I guess for many people the point is moot anyways because they'll either use some wireless thing or use the HDMI output and then there's a DAC in their devices of choice.

--

I have set up my Pi 2 with my TV I recently installed on my living room wall and a bluetooth keyboard and I'm just using omxplayer and a rather barebones arch linux install without X or any other crap. Yesterday I compiled Catacylsm: DDA for the Pi and it's oddly relaxing to sit on the couch, listen to internet radio and play a roguelike on a huge TV screen, also very stylish looking in a tron sort of way. :v:

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

has anyone here tried an 8bitdo controller with their Pi / Retropie?
so much promise but I'm having a hell of a time getting it to connect to Retropie 4.0. Couldn't even get my computer (windows 10) to acknowledge it to update the firmware.

Works fine as a USB controller, but the USB connection in the controller itself isn't too tight so it wiggles around... and I paid $50 for the thing so if it won't do the bluetooth, might as well return it!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Now remember I'm not all that interested in the internal PWM audio of the pi but I do have a few questions.
Is the audio output available anywhere else besides the back? I think it would be good as an internal speaker like a classic Mac for example.

I've got a stack of class D amp chip module boards. Don't have the info handy but they seem to take normal analog inputs and have internal filtering. If I tried using one with a PWM output would anything bad happen?

Last question. I've seen stereo tube preamps stupid cheap. What do you suppose would happen if one of those were connected? I'd like to believe that the natural fuzz would help smooth the rough edges but at the same time I'm not sure what effect feeding a PWM signal in would do.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
LOOK AT insightful post
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
Don't get too hooked up on that PWM expression, it's just the way the Pi turns those 1s and 0s into an audio signal. You can hook up the Pi to everything that accepts a normal line level analog audio input. Your class D amps actually work similar and the theory of operation behind it is the same.

Between what's batter and what would sound which way.. oh boy. There are forums, books and whole industries dedicated to that topic. Just try around and see what you like. It's not always about accurate reproduction of any given audio data. The Pi also has an i2s interface for hooking up to DACs who talk that. There's plenty of methods to play around with it.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

General_Failure posted:

Now remember I'm not all that interested in the internal PWM audio of the pi but I do have a few questions.
Is the audio output available anywhere else besides the back? I think it would be good as an internal speaker like a classic Mac for example.

You can make your own audio output(s) using the GPIO and a capacitor/resistor. It's not very complicated. I had to do it to add audio to a zero and it was pretty painless. Adafruit has a decent-ish guide here.

General_Failure posted:

I've got a stack of class D amp chip module boards. Don't have the info handy but they seem to take normal analog inputs and have internal filtering. If I tried using one with a PWM output would anything bad happen?

No it will just sound like a square wave superimposed on whatever signal you want. Which is to say it will sound bad. The filtering they have is most likely to reject sub 20Hz and post 20KHz signals, which are outside of the range of human hearing, and should not alter the fundamental characteristics of the signal if they are within that range, and if they do then they're not very good amplifiers, functionally speaking.

edit: no, actually I think you will not hear much of anything except maybe the bass because the PWM signal out of the PI is likely faster than 20 KHz and will be ignored by your chip if there's no RC filter to smooth out the PWM. I think.

General_Failure posted:

Last question. I've seen stereo tube preamps stupid cheap. What do you suppose would happen if one of those were connected? I'd like to believe that the natural fuzz would help smooth the rough edges but at the same time I'm not sure what effect feeding a PWM signal in would do.

I don't understand what you mean by PWM? Do you mean the actual PWM square wave coming out of the GPIO? Cause the audio output on the PI is not PWM, its the output of an RC filter. That is to say its driven by PWM but its output is the signal being described by the PWM.

There's nothing inherently wrong with square waves, and as long as you stay within safe power levels you can run whatever type of signal you want through anything, it will just sound harsh and square-wavey. But keep in mind that speakers have mass and mass has inertia, so all square waves get some amount of rounding on them by the speakers not being able to move from point A to point B as fast as a square wave does. Smaller speakers can make a better square wave than bigger speakers can, if square waves are really what you're after.

edit: OK sorry to keep adding to this but I feel like you're fundamentally mis-understanding what's going on with the audio circuit. To create an audio signal from a digital signal, you do what's called switching aka pulse width modulation. Think of it this way - if you have a ceiling fan with a single speed setting (on/off) you can actually control the speed of the fan by flipping the switch every few seconds. The speed at which you flip it is called the frequency and the ratio between on/off is the duty cycle. The speed you're flipping the switch (125,000 times a second, for example) is mostly irrelevant to the fan, because the duty cycle is what affects the speed. The fan has mass so inertia prevents it from coming to a complete stop or going from 0 to max speed instantaneously, so in effect its acting like an RC filter - its filtering out your high frequency switching and letting the underlying signal (controlled by the duty cycle) pass through. Electronic circuits don't really have any meaningful mass or inertia so we use resistor-capacitor networks (RC filters) to simulate this behavior.

Audio amplifiers are typically expecting a signal between 20Hz and 20KHz. Anything outside of those bounds is rejected. Now take the fan example and think about it - if you're turning the switch off and on at 125,000 Hz, the signal falls well outside of the 20KHz range is thus ignored by the amplifier. However, if you took that 125KHz switching and put it through an RC filter and got a nice looking sine wave out, your amplifier would be happy.

And it looks like the PWM output from the PI is actually 50MHz so yeah you would almost certainly hear nothing if you hooked it into an amplifier like that.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 26, 2016

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Yes I understand how PWM works don't worry. I use it for other things. It's just when it comes to things like a class D amp being attached things get a bit shaky. I suppose it would be fine connected to the audio out and avoid some distortion caused by needing to crank the volume. I was just hoping there was somewhere I could tap into the output or even just a raw pin without sacrificing a GPIO pin as another output.

I have never used audio on my Zero either because when it does have a head it's connected via an adapter to a DVI monitor.... Is that right? Still battling with a bug so my head is a little hazy sorry. But it's headless now so it doesn't matter much. I had to turn it into a quick and dirty NAS / DLNA server because of a recent need to switch the desktop PC between linux and windows a lot.

Yet another question. I've seen HDMI to S-Video / analog audio out things on AliExpress. Has anyone tried one? I'd really like to connect a Pi up to the Luma / chroma inputs on one of my Commodore monitors. I have an adapter for splitting the S video out to a couple of RCA plugs, and I can say from experience that the S-Video signal works fine on a C=1084DS. It's mostly for emulation proposes.

e: Made it to the PC for the first time in a while. The IC on the class D amp boards I have kicking around is a PAM8403 3W filterless class D stereo amplifier. Funny thing was for the price I thought i was buying one. Didn't notice the ad was for a lot of 10.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 27, 2016

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm having problems with my Rpi3, using Raspbian Jessie lite. The network config has been done using dhcpcd instead of /etc/network/interfaces, and works nicely when I'm using a wired connection. It's connected directly to my router, and using dynamic IPs. However, when using a wireless connection I can't get it to use IP-addresses from the same range as my wired. In fact, the HDCP gives it an IP outside the allowed range. I'm guessing it uses private IPs but I want to use the IP my router assigns to it. I don't have the same problem with any other device.

As an example:
My gateway is 85.229.XXX.1, and the subnet mask /22. All devices recieve IP-address within that range, except for the raspberry (wireless). I usually get something like 85.222.200.22. I'm not sure if it's important, but my HDCP-server is located in that network (85.222.0.1).

I haven't really been messing with any network files, I just put my SSIS and password in the wpa file. Could it be that dhcpcd is replacing the IPs sent from the router? As stated, the wired connection works fine. I've tried bypassing the problem by putting static IPs in the dhcpcd file but it's not been working.

Any suggestions what might be off?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Going to pick one of these up to throw Retropie on it to have an emulator box for my living room.

Are there any cases in particular that I should be looking at?

I can't imagine a fan would be necessary, but I did plan to put a heat sink on it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Meridian posted:

Going to pick one of these up to throw Retropie on it to have an emulator box for my living room.

I can't imagine a fan would be necessary, but I did plan to put a heat sink on it.

Ehh. I don't think it really matters. I'm just using the "official" case. Get the Pi 3 version. They didn't exist when I got mine so the LEDs are in the wrong place and don't line up with the clear bits. People like other cases like the PiBow etc. I'll stick with mine though because the sides can be removed, and it has options for inserts in the top like sealed, fan hole or just leaving an open hole. I put heatsinks on the chips on mine. Couldn't see much reason to do more than that. Plus I do love a silent computer.

e: apparently the official case also comes in black / grey. I only just saw that on element14.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 30, 2016

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I've seen a few cases that look like a tiny NES and also plans to build a NES pi case out of LEGO, which would be neat for a living room emulator box.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Lawen posted:

I've seen a few cases that look like a tiny NES and also plans to build a NES pi case out of LEGO, which would be neat for a living room emulator box.

Oh cool. I saw someone selling those. They were 3D printed and I'm sorry to say looked like rear end. Maybe there are others out there selling them.

drat the Pi is useful.
Last night I hosed up pretty good and connected an SI7021 temp / humidity sensor to a uC backwards. Before and after that I couldn't get a drat thing from it. Just connected it to the Pi 3 and the sensor is fine. Big relief. I've goofed the code somewhere on the esp8266 is all it means. I already have one in service with an esp8266 monitoring and controlling the egg hatcher for chickens / ducks. I was just trying to slap one together quickly last night because I wanted to keep an eye on the incubator thermostat for a bit. There's already a terrarium thermometer in there and the IR thermometer agrees with its value but I want to monitor the temperature and humidity near some eggs for a while.

It kind of irks me that most Pi stuff is Python-centric. I know it's possible to use other languages for stuff, and I do. It's just a lot of the libraries for hardware are Python and I'd rather something else like C. I got lucky with the temp / humidity controller. It didn't even need a special lib. I found a simple example program on GitHub. The sensor is easier to read than I realised.

e: There are also Pi cases with the LEGO lumps on them. I wanted and still do want one of them but one of the reasons I got the 3 was GPIO and the official case makes everything nicely accessible and lets me have the top covered with a ribbon cable coming out the side. That's a concern for me because there's a really big dust problem where I live. It clogs everything and settles on everything. The less things I have to give the air compressor treatment every few months the better.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Meridian posted:

I did this this past weekend and it was freaking awesome. We played games the entire weekend, including Tetris Attack into the wee hours of Sunday morning. Glorious. I just used a clear case. It ran three player Mariokart 64 battles quite smoothly, too.