Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Anyone else had a new Nvidia 10 series card not turn on fans yet? I checked temps to make sure everything was okay, and I have yet to hit over 55 Celsius in my new rig at all. poo poo is crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

DrNutt posted:

Anyone else had a new Nvidia 10 series card not turn on fans yet? I checked temps to make sure everything was okay, and I have yet to hit over 55 Celsius in my new rig at all. poo poo is crazy.

Only the blower style coolers run with the fan on at all times, any aftermarket one will have the fans kick in at around 60C or so, it's normal.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Acting upon the advice given in this thread, I waited a month for the dust to settle on the 480 and 1060.

Neither are even available in Canada right now. My HD 5770 is giving me death squeals from inside the case and asking to be put out of its misery. :(

Also why the gently caress is the 1060 3gb $100 more than the RX480 8gb? Wasnt that supposed to be the nvidia option for us poors?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Because in Canada we get shafted for availability, then on top of that we get shafted for tax.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

For a GTX 1070, if you have a choice between an EVGA FTW or an MSI Gaming X for the same price, or a non-OC ASUS Strix for around $30 less, is there a "best" option? In tests, I'm seeing the Strix as very slightly noisier, and the FTW as running slightly hotter and then also noisier if the fans ever run at full speed (I don't know in what kind of situation they would need to run at full speed, though). In terms of support, some people seem to get problems from both ASUS and MSI, but they both have service locations in Canada while EVGA might have a slightly better reputation but is located in the US.

Furnaceface posted:

Also why the gently caress is the 1060 3gb $100 more than the RX480 8gb? Wasnt that supposed to be the nvidia option for us poors?
Huh? In stock on Newegg:
Most RX 480 8GB are around $330-340 or $390 for the Sapphire Nitro+.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 25, 2016

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/23.html

And here we see a 5dB difference which is a fairly large one as far as perceived noise goes.

To be fair that's the only review I could find that had such a big difference between the two. Most had it around 2 - 3 dB and stated the sound profile was very similar to the 1070 FE.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-radeon-rx-480-8gb-review/29/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-10.html

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2496-amd-rx-480-8gb-review-and-benchmark-vs-gtx-970-1070/page-3

Of course like you said noise is very subjective but this cooler is a definite improvement over the previous reference coolers and compares well to the FE coolers.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Only the blower style coolers run with the fan on at all times, any aftermarket one will have the fans kick in at around 60C or so, it's normal.

Oh, I know, I'm just blown away by how cool this rig runs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I need to stop being an easily distracted fucktard and put my old gpus up for sale on SA-mart/Ebay.

Maybe some fellow Canadians could use them. :v:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

filthychimp posted:

Semi engineering does the best reporting in the business right now. They mostly talk about high-level stuff, talking about the state of the industry rather than the latest chips, but anyone curious about the challenges of actually making transistors should pop in and read their articles once every couple months.

Are there any other blogs like this? Not just for semiconductor engineering but anything else at all? The world honestly needs more nice websites like this, it's astounding how how much more stuff end up I reading there because of the site quality.

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?
I put in an order for a Titan X Pascal yesterday around noon, got one day shipping on it. Order confirmation, but no shipping confirmation yet and it's around 9am the following day. Anyone have experience with Nvidia's shipping so I know at what point I can start panicking?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Tanreall posted:

Mea culpa.

The 480 cooler is literally a $5 eBay heatsink with a $2 copper plug inserted, trying to cool a hotter card. There is no real defense for it other than "well its not THAT bad ??" which is just not true.

Buy aftermarket or suck it up

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Furnaceface posted:

Acting upon the advice given in this thread, I waited a month for the dust to settle on the 480 and 1060.

Neither are even available in Canada right now. My HD 5770 is giving me death squeals from inside the case and asking to be put out of its misery. :(

The pricing story is crazy internationally. After selling that stupid RX 470 to a miner, I ended up buying a 6GB 1060 from Jet for $216 because it was cheaper than any 480s I could find. 480 availability is a mess, and it looks like within the US the 3GB 1060 will end up cheaper than 470s.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 25, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

plus the 1060 and "1060" match up with the 1070 in terms of price:performance (1060-10% is reliably $200, you can find the 1060 for $250 reliably or with a coupon code nearly all the time) so there's no reason not to get an Nvidia card at this point if you don't care about *sync.

For the comedy cherry on top, the 1070 is way better buttcoining than the 480 by price alone, never mind wattage.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Are Canadian goons that hard up for graphics cards? I have an EVGA 1070 sitting around in box waiting to Step Up, that I wouldn't mind selling instead, I could ship it internationally.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

What sort of rigs would game devs be using, compared to the average consumer?

Thinking back to the Crysis days, would all the devs have crazy sli/xfire setups to test, or just good PCs and a few beasts ?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Probably depends on whether they're using a licensed engine or brewing their own poo poo.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

VulgarandStupid posted:

Are Canadian goons that hard up for graphics cards? I have an EVGA 1070 sitting around in box waiting to Step Up, that I wouldn't mind selling instead, I could ship it internationally.
1070 availability seems quite good here in Canada as far as I can tell. 1060 and RX480 availability is terrible but that looks to be the case everywhere.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

VulgarandStupid posted:

1070/1080 are in stock because we're all poors, it's the 1060/470/480 in whatever specific flavour that is hard to find.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Grog posted:

For a GTX 1070, if you have a choice between an EVGA FTW or an MSI Gaming X for the same price, or a non-OC ASUS Strix for around $30 less, is there a "best" option?
Anyone have any opinions on this? I'm thinking of going in and buying a card today. Either one of those or possibly the single slightly overpriced 1060 in Winnipeg. The ASUS is also actually around $40 CAD cheaper.

I'd rather get the quitest cooler that performs well, but reviews don't go super in-depth on the kind of noise these things make, just the decibel level. At defaults, the ASUS seems to cool the best but is slightly louder and slightly noticeable because of it, the MSI is quieter and cools slightly less effectively, and the EVGA is supposedly quiet like the MSI but cools even less effectively.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Which one of you Jabroni's keeps out bidding me for a 980ti on eBay? It's almost like nobody wants to sell me one for $350.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Like jm20 said, the stock on 1070s and 1080s is fine, it's just that on top of converting USD to CAD and adding on more than a few dollars of import markup, we then get to add on at least ten percent tax, depending on province (it's 12% here in BC for example), since it's required for Canadian retailers, even online. Then we get boned for shipping.

It also really doesn't help that wages here aren't proportionally "higher" to meet what they are in the US -- eg. a $45000/yr job in the US isn't $58000 CAD/yr, it'd be more like $50000 CAD/yr for some reason, even in the same field.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any Vive owners: curious if you have tried playing with that beta supersampling feature and how high you can drive it on the new generation of cards?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

PCIe 4.0 (v.7 of the spec) to have 16 GT/s and 300W from the slot. :toot:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/pcie-4.0-power-speed-express,32525.html

edit: forum trimmed the url.

Bad news on the 300W thing. Someone at PCI-SIG appears to have given Tom's bad numbers.

http://techreport.com/news/30574/pcie-4-0-wont-actually-deliver-300-watts-from-the-slot

Instead of "300W from the slot", it appears to be "75W from the slot, with a max TDP including connectors >= 300W". So I guess the guys over at CableMod just collectively unshit themselves?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's almost time to Step Up my 980 Ti from that sale Newegg had for $400 a couple months ago. EVGA still has hosed-up pricing for the 1070 (cheapest card is $430, only $20 cheaper than the FE) so I'm thinking seriously about getting the 1080 ACX for $620 instead. I paid $400 for the card, so I think it'll be $220 plus shipping both ways.

Still crossing my fingers that a 1080 Ti is announced in the next two weeks but I don't think it's gonna happen.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

I put in an order for a Titan X Pascal yesterday around noon, got one day shipping on it. Order confirmation, but no shipping confirmation yet and it's around 9am the following day. Anyone have experience with Nvidia's shipping so I know at what point I can start panicking?

Multiple people on Overclock.net have said they never received shipping notification from Nvidia before the card shipped and received it the next day while the order was still processing. Granted this was right at release, but there are still a few people who have had it happen after the release date.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ludicrous G. Gibs posted:

I had the same issue, they didn't send out my notification until right before the card arrived.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I think them waiting until the 1180ti is far more likely, because Video Games(tm) Pascal seems to have another die size increase to go.

We might even have a new $3000 dual Titan P+ SKU :homebrew:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BurritoJustice posted:

Get an aftermarket 1060 for $250. It's 10-15% faster than a RX480, and has 6GB for the price.

After six years of owning NVidia exclusively, I'm switching across again. It's just that cards like these and the $225 Asus 4GB 480 keep going in and out of stock and I have no idea what the best deal is.

I expect to be at 1080p Ultra settings for the next 3 years. I want to eventually buy a Freesync monitor, which is why I'm disqualifying NVidia. I have no intentions to buy VR or 1440 or 4K in the next three years.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm one of the few people who cares more about high refresh rate than resolution, so I'm going to ride 1080p144 until 1440p144 IPS panels are cheap.

And then I'll probably stay at 24" because I care more about DPI than going to 27 or 30".

(My dream monitor is admittedly a 34" 3440x1440 144Hz IPS but I'm not made of money. Or engineering miracles.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's almost time to Step Up my 980 Ti from that sale Newegg had for $400 a couple months ago. EVGA still has hosed-up pricing for the 1070 (cheapest card is $430, only $20 cheaper than the FE) so I'm thinking seriously about getting the 1080 ACX for $620 instead. I paid $400 for the card, so I think it'll be $220 plus shipping both ways.

Still crossing my fingers that a 1080 Ti is announced in the next two weeks but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Is Step Up something only certain manufacturers do, and is it only for going from one gen of card to another, or can it be used to move up a notch in the same generation? Just curious.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

They say you can step up to a higher model of the same card. The time it takes to go through the process seems to depend on the model you want and its demand, and is decided on a case-by-case basis.

e: And yes, it also looks like EVGA is the only company that offers anything like a "Step-Up" program.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 26, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Craptacular! posted:

I expect to be at 1080p Ultra settings for the next 3 years. I want to eventually buy a Freesync monitor, which is why I'm disqualifying NVidia. I have no intentions to buy VR or 1440 or 4K in the next three years.

er... can you even run Witcher 3 at 1080p Ultra with a 480? I doubt it, unless you're referring to something less than true ultra. In any case 3 years seems optimistic at best.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Taima posted:

er... can you even run Witcher 3 at 1080p Ultra with a 480? I doubt it, unless you're referring to something less than true ultra. In any case 3 years seems optimistic at best.

Your doubt is folly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozATbV11rBA&t=99s

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

No hairworks homie how the gently caress is that ultra

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Taima posted:

Take ~10fps off the average then I guess?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

teagone posted:

Take ~10fps off the average then I guess?

Full hairworks takes 10fps off a 980ti so I'm not buying your logic:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/25/witcher_3_wild_hunt_gameplay_performance_review/8

And looking into it further it looks like the average loss is at least 10 but more like 20 on some systems.

In any case this is pretty much a moot point because the man claims that he will get 3 years of ultra gameplay at 1080p with a 480 which is basically ludicrous.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Taima posted:

Does anyone reputable even do hairworks benches?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Regrettable posted:

Does anyone reputable even do hairworks benches?

All the benchmarks I see for hairworks enabled games have them disabled, out of fairness for AMD and because hairworks tends to absolutely destroy frame rates even on NV cards.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Craptacular! posted:

After six years of owning NVidia exclusively, I'm switching across again. It's just that cards like these and the $225 Asus 4GB 480 keep going in and out of stock and I have no idea what the best deal is.

Freesync is pretty sweet, it makes FPS dips completely tolerable. In RoTTR I would drop into the 30s and 40s occasionally and it still felt super smooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Beautiful Ninja posted:

All the benchmarks I see for hairworks enabled games have them disabled, out of fairness for AMD and because hairworks tends to absolutely destroy frame rates even on NV cards.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=witcher+3+hairworks+benchmarks

It's a fair criticism regardless, but remember what we're ultimately benching here: the ability to play 1080p Ultra settings for the next 3 years.

I only used nvidia hairworks benches to make my point for this exact reason, but let's be real- hairworks might be intensive but it's a good starting point on where things might be in the years ahead. Especially because the consoles are coming out with their updated hardware, we can expect innovation to pick up to some unknown degree that probably exceeds the difficulty of rendering (admittedly ridiculous) hair in 2016.