Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I played through Wolfschanze 2 eons ago alongside some other City Interactive shovelware like :hellyeah:TERRORIST TAKEDOWN 3:hellyeah: and a couple I've forgotten the name of and can say they're all gameplay clones of each other beyond the settings. They all used the FEAR engine and were two hours long. Most of the length was because you died in a handful of shots if you didn't take cover (they all had regenerating health) and the player movement was laughably slow.

There were a couple others by developers whose names I barely remember. Something called The Protector I guess? You played as some bodyguard who had to protect some woman, it ran at 15FPS and there was a level set in a museum that had a pretty long cutscene that showed multiple takes of a T-Rex skeleton exploding while some new age music played. Fake Edit: It was called Jonathan Kane: The Protector.
And then there's also Scorpion Disfigured which was supposedly made by some of the STALKER developers and is absolutely awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah I was going to say, that's definitely the FEAR 1 engine, but I don't remember regenerating health, iron sights, or leaning shots.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
FEAR 1 had leaning but I think they took it out for 2. It was useless, IIRC

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Gearbox is counting down to something Duke Nukem-related.

Unfortunately, they've also burned a lot of goodwill toward themselves of late, so reactions are understandably tepid. Including my own.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

Gearbox is counting down to something Duke Nukem-related.

Unfortunately, they've also burned a lot of goodwill toward themselves of late, so reactions are understandably tepid. Including my own.

Presenting the newest hero in Battleborn: Duke Nukem!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Gearbox Duke thing is probably that re-release with the new episode that TerminX alluded to during his scuffles. Apparently Gearbox's custom source port was pretty rough at that time, hopefully things have improved in that regard now that cooler heads have prevailed.

Go figure that a Duke Nukem game would be six months late to its own birthday.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

bbcisdabomb posted:

FEAR 1 had leaning but I think they took it out for 2. It was useless, IIRC

Leaning was great and more shooters should have it

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

Go figure that a Duke Nukem game would be six months late to its own birthday.

What are you waiting for? Christmas?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Check out that twitter account. It's... a thing.

http://www.twitter.com/DukeNukemGame

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is it normal that the only videogame developer I truly hate is Randy Pitchford? Hell, he makes old EA look like a basket full of kittens.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

site posted:

Leaning was great and more shooters should have it

Yeah leaning is one of my favorite older FPS features and it's a shame it went out of style.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

Is it normal that the only videogame developer I truly hate is Randy Pitchford? Hell, he makes old EA look like a basket full of kittens.
He's Gabe Newell's Dorian Gray portrait. If that makes sense.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

It's weird that you would use the word hate to describe a video game developer, yeah.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
The JavaScript console for the Duke site says, "ready for rock" when the page loads.

Not even, "Ready for action." or, "Let's rock." Come on.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Two catchphrases, together at last.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I just want a way to play Duke3D (and Shadow Warrior) without horrific stuttering on my PC. If the new version does that then I'm in.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

laserghost posted:

Can't wait for the new and improved second edition of this bad boy

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Dukester is left-handed?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After loving up colon marines, gently caress randy pitchfork.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah leaning is one of my favorite older FPS features and it's a shame it went out of style.

Most older FPS didn't have leaning, I'm not sure it was ever in style tbh. Apart from FEAR the only games I can think of that have it are tactical shooters, EYE, and Jedi Knight 2

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

skasion posted:

Most older FPS didn't have leaning, I'm not sure it was ever in style tbh. Apart from FEAR the only games I can think of that have it are tactical shooters, EYE, and Jedi Knight 2

System Shock 2 had it but that's the only other one I remember

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Didn't the original Call of Duty have leaning? And I'm almost positive the first Far Cry did too.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

skasion posted:

Medal of Honor Allied Assault had leaning, to the point that it was an amusing strategy to bob and weave (like, spam Q and E, leaning quickly left/right) up to people as you closed range. I have no idea if it actually altered the hitbox, but it was an amusing alternative to bunnyhopping at people.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shlomo Palestein posted:

Medal of Honor Allied Assault had leaning, to the point that it was an amusing strategy to bob and weave (like, spam Q and E, leaning quickly left/right) up to people as you closed range. I have no idea if it actually altered the hitbox, but it was an amusing alternative to bunnyhopping at people.

In MoHAA leaning constantly while moving was a real strategy for not having your head in the way of the weapon's recoil pattern. Also allowed for some clipping through corners and some parts of the maps, letting you shoot and not get shot.

RyokoTK posted:

It's weird that you would use the word hate to describe a video game developer, yeah.

At least I'm not the only one after his DNF debacle, Colonial Marines gently caress up and being a dick with Duke IP with interceptor devs (among other stuff).

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

laserghost posted:

I'm okay with the Duke Nukem twitter account just constantly insulting Randy Pitchford.

RyokoTK posted:

I don't think you understand exactly how scummy and awful of a person Pitchford is, especially within the context of Duke Nukem and George "recommendation to defraud IRS" Broussard

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
it asked me for my age and then it says some poo poo about the website isn't accessible.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Lean was a thing for a little bit. Deus Ex has lean, both System Shocks. RtCW does, though you can't shoot while leaning. The last Call of Duty game I know has lean is World at War, MW2 dropped lean but it might have lived on in Treyarch's games (I can't remember if Black Ops had it though). I think MW2 not having it marked the end of lean as a big thing, because shortly after that shooting out of cover became a thing and replaced lean for the most part.

Also, Randy Pitchford is a huge lying dick, but I tend to like the games his company makes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm okay with the Duke Nukem twitter account just constantly insulting Randy Pitchford.

You, uh, realize that's probably Pitchford running the Duke account, right?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mogomra posted:

The JavaScript console for the Duke site says, "ready for rock" when the page loads.

Not even, "Ready for action." or, "Let's rock." Come on.
Let's action.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's like Randy P saw the popularity of that sassy Sonic the Hedgehog twitter and decided to copy it with his own twist. That twist being playing with Duke's action figure and writing dick jokes. Sad, but fitting.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't care, I hate Pitchford so much that even him indulging in self-deprecating humor is enjoyable because it means a part of him knows how despicable he is

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

duke4.net user ZombieKiller found out that behind the counter there is a simple Wordpress site: http://dukenukem.com/2016/08/18/hello-world/ made in a very similar way to Gearbox's Publishing site: http://www.gearboxpublishing.com/blog/2016/07/22/hello-world/

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
http://dukenukem.com/2016/07/25/hello-world-2/

HELLO WORLD!
By sean.ahern Posted July 25, 2016 In Uncategorized
Welcome to Gearbox Publishing. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

skasion posted:

I'm not talking Doom old. It was definitely pretty common in the early 2000s.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GoldenEye and/or Perfect Dark had leaning. Other players see it as your character sliding a foot or so to the right or left. Looked goofy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Both Soldier of Fortune games had leaning. Deus Ex as well.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly, for the life of me I never really use it leaning in any game that has it. Rarely seem to find a use for it, even though I'm certain one exists. Peeking around corners seems like an obvious one, but just strafing a little seems to work just as well (at least, I swear when I tried to use leaning to peek in Deus Ex, I got spotted anyway, so might as well have just moved my entire character).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mak0rz posted:

GoldenEye and/or Perfect Dark had leaning. Other players see it as your character sliding a foot or so to the right or left. Looked goofy.

I was just about to argue that this wasn't true, and then I remembered that yes, you can lean (or rather, slide quickly and temporarily to the side.

Was this feature in the xbla Perfect Dark? poo poo, I haven't used that move in years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Shadow Hog posted:

Honestly, for the life of me I never really use it leaning in any game that has it. Rarely seem to find a use for it, even though I'm certain one exists. Peeking around corners seems like an obvious one, but just strafing a little seems to work just as well (at least, I swear when I tried to use leaning to peek in Deus Ex, I got spotted anyway, so might as well have just moved my entire character).

Alien: Isolation is the only game I've ever played that had leaning where I relied on it, like a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dreamsicle posted:

System Shock 2 had it but that's the only other one I remember

System Shock 2 is the only game I remember that not only let you lean left and right, but forward and back!

I have no idea why you'd want to lean forward, but now you can!