Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Triggered posted:

Compared to the normal GW prices the boxes they are offering now seem to pretty cheap.

reminder that the last time they did an AoS starter set (the starter box), they almost immediately started pumping out minis that were better in every way, shape, and form than those that came in the box

the stuff in the starter set was useless in 6 months tops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
FOrge your own narrative you rear end in a top hat

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GW once made Epic Armageddon, published the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game, invented Skaven, did a joint venture with Milton Bradely called HeroQuest, and created the Golden Demon Awards annual convention of painting and gaming.

And, when I was living in the UK as a teenager, my buddy and I took the train down to Southampton occasionally and wandered into the Games Workshop store there, where there were tables set up where we were invited to sit down, handed brushes and a model, and encouraged to try our hand at painting, while Iron Maiden played on the stereo and people had Blood Bowl tournaments and two weeks' allowance was enough money to buy a small pile of blister packs containing cool-looking miniatures I was excited to own and did not feel ripped off about paying for.

Also they had discount bins to dig through, published a cool magazine that was a joy to thumb through and only cost like three pounds, directly advertised their independent stockists, and understood that none of their settings were intended to be taken seriously, what with them being heavily satirical and often comical as well.

Games Workshop did many great things over the course of their history. It's part of what makes them so bad - they weren't just a terrible company of assholes from the outset. Where they are now, is a place they've fallen to: they had enormous goodwill and squandered it. They had talented people they drove away, an utterly dominant market position they've voluntarily ceded to competitors, a culture of innovation that has been exchanged for a culture of regression and conservatism, a sense of fun that has been replaced by lawyerly seriousness, and they've abandoned their role as community centers in favor of product-dispensing kiosks.

GW is terrible because GW used to be great, and could have kept being great, but chose to be terrible instead.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

GW once made Epic Armageddon, published the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game, invented Skaven, did a joint venture with Milton Bradely called HeroQuest, and created the Golden Demon Awards annual convention of painting and gaming.

Ok, the other stuff you said may be true but this isn't, Skaven were just straight up take from Grey Mouser.

Triggered posted:

Compared to the normal GW prices the boxes they are offering now seem to pretty cheap.

Go google what the old Battalion Boxes used to contain circa 4th Ed compared to what they have now and be sad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Other properties had ratmen, sure, but GW invented the skaven as a culture in their game, is what I meant.

And yeah, GW's new boxes are only "cheap" compared to regular GW prices. Remember, GW never ever puts its stuff on sale, whereas every other manufacturer's products are available at discount, at least occasionally. So you can't just compare MSRP.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey Alliance clearanced a bunch of GW stuff on their summer sale

Oh right you guys don't get to take advantage of those prices suck iiiiiit

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey Alliance clearanced a bunch of GW stuff on their summer sale

Oh right you guys don't get to take advantage of those prices suck iiiiiit

lol if you want to buy GW's lovely products

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
This pile of rat droppings is half off?! I'd be losing money if I didn't buy it!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wait wait guys lets not be too hasty. Maybe this means we can pick up 'Orc with Pig' on the cheap.

Aw man, is that off the store now? That's tragic. :(

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, I mean the current Space Marine plastics are basically just the 3rd ed plastics with some extra bits and different sprue design.

checking back up on things after 8 years or so i was blown away by how much of their range is still the old stuff

this guy here is from about when gorkamorka was released

$35

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Saalkin posted:

lol if you want to buy GW's lovely products

I don't actually I just thought of that sale immediately

I have never bought a GW kit or played one of their games and I never will

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Terrible Opinions posted:

Still significantly worse deal than literally any other company on the market, including one man metal casting operations in Russia.

:captainpop:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Jesus 2nd Edition 40K was bad. It was a game where all of your other dudes were just there to look good while your hero-level leader utterly and single-handedly destroyed your opponent's units. And remember those loving awful vehicle charts with the grid and the cross-hair template? And all the psychic powers on cards and crap? Ugh.

Yeah, 3rd Edition was a HUGE leap forward. I agree that it still wasn't "good," but it was at least playable.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

FOrge your own narrative you rear end in a top hat

are you talking to us or are you toilet posting???

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

I have never bought a GW kit or played one of their games and I never will
Inappropriate username and posting content combination

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
2nd edition fan chiming in, here to defend it. It was really more of a battlefield RPG than a true wargame and it had stupid poo poo but I'll always love it. Thanks for reading.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
2nd was as hero hammer as everyone says. It was a very different game. 3rd needed to happen because the game was in a dead end of creaking and groaning codexes and wd expansions.

The 3rd ed we got was too much of an AoS nuke from orbit IMO. I didn't come back to play again till 6th. Huge swathes of army lists were replaced with stuff like "this now counts as a flamer" and "these are now all generic chainswords"

I think I remember mail order having sales on plastic weapon sprues though for people who wanted to update their mixed weapon squads to be legal.

Tl;dr - 2nd needed some serious intervention but 3rd was too drastic.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

TTerrible posted:

Huge swathes of army lists were replaced with stuff like "this now counts as a flamer" and "these are now all generic chainswords"

A great change that simplifies play and reduces the amount of poo poo you - and especially your opponent - need to keep track of.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

A great change that simplifies play and reduces the amount of poo poo you - and especially your opponent - need to keep track of.

I just think it was a bit far reaching. Warp spiders were just flamer armed jump infantry or something I think. :effort:

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

TTerrible posted:

I just think it was a bit far reaching. Warp spiders were just flamer armed jump infantry or something I think. :effort:

Sure but this was a vast improvement over 2nd edition when they were so strong they blanked entire army lists.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ultiville posted:

Sure but this was a vast improvement over 2nd edition when they were so strong they blanked entire army lists.

Haha as soon as I hit submit I knew they were the worst example. Ignoring how powerful they are, they took a unit with cool abilities and made it incredibly generic.

Swiping Hawks got the same treatment, but were also hideously broken with flying high.

Death Company with completely mixed load outs became TAC squads with bolt pistols and ccws

I think I'm in a tiny majority in thinking 3rd was too much of a pendulum swing in the opposite direction

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Xlorp posted:

Inappropriate username and posting content combination

I own about a hundred points of Warmahordes and have two full Guild Ball teams on order

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

checking back up on things after 8 years or so i was blown away by how much of their range is still the old stuff

this guy here is from about when gorkamorka was released

$35

The funny thing is that trucks/trakks are great in the new codex, and they still haven't made new ones. They can't even do that right!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fnordcircle posted:

2nd edition fan chiming in, here to defend it. It was really more of a battlefield RPG than a true wargame and it had stupid poo poo but I'll always love it. Thanks for reading.

*fires flesh hooks into u, dragging u 2d6 inches around corner*

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
sup nerds I missed most of you

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

heroclix drastically out-earns all of these various mass-battle games by virtue of being accessible and popular among younger gamers, right?

"Aaagh, if only we'd tried tapping new markets!" wailed tom kirby

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Whoever said 2nd was an RPG is right; it worked best if you played small games with like a dozen models or a half-dozen and a single mid tier hero or something. Then all the dice weren't overwhelming and the stupid poo poo was a little less onerous. But as it ramped up to full scale battles it got really ragged, and at that point you basically knew that there would be a half dozen stupid pieces of wargear on the field and a handful of nuclear heroes. It really broke down.

3rd tore through a lot of the unique gear and stuff, yea, and it took a lot of the 'character' out of some of the equipment. But it was completely necessary to try and bring the game to where you could actually play huge battles and not have a tremendous headache trying to keep track of all the unique gear and rules.

I miss the campaigns my friends and I used to run in 2nd, but god I would hate to play it in a random game at a store.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Ashcans posted:

Whoever said 2nd was an RPG is right; it worked best if you played small games with like a dozen models or a half-dozen and a single mid tier hero or something. Then all the dice weren't overwhelming and the stupid poo poo was a little less onerous. But as it ramped up to full scale battles it got really ragged, and at that point you basically knew that there would be a half dozen stupid pieces of wargear on the field and a handful of nuclear heroes. It really broke down.

This is also the case for AoS. I enjoy it a lot more at lower point levels where it can't get too stupid.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

LordAba posted:

The funny thing is that trucks/trakks are great in the new codex, and they still haven't made new ones. They can't even do that right!
If you look at it from their perspective, they are doing it right - they're giving you an incentive to buy a kit that's already more than made up its design and tooling costs. Every old-rear end WarTrakk they sell you is almost pure profit at this point. Designing and tooling a new one costs them money, and if they can get you to buy the old one anyway, why would they want to do that?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The next time I go home, I'm going to dig out my old Harpoon Trakk that I never painted and do it up just as a fun project.

There were so many great little ideas in the 2e-3e transition. Getting rid of armor modifiers in favor of AP was a great move. Changing how armor penetration on vehicles worked was also a great idea. The problem is that these were only great ideas in comparison to what came before it. Sure, armor penetration is just a D6+S, but you still don't have a ton of heavy weapons and you can't divide shots in a unit so you're going to lose a ton of bolter shots if you take a risk of firing your lascannon at a tank. Oh great nothing happened and that unit wasted its turn. Hooray. Basically nothing has an AP high enough to penetrate power armor, but bolters can shred all other basic infantry. And then when equipment was being introduced that actually could hurt Space Marines, Marines seemed to get units with a million and one invulnerable saves that got to ignore AP so that they always had a save. Great.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Ilor posted:

Jesus 2nd Edition 40K was bad. It was a game where all of your other dudes were just there to look good while your hero-level leader utterly and single-handedly destroyed your opponent's units. And remember those loving awful vehicle charts with the grid and the cross-hair template? And all the psychic powers on cards and crap? Ugh.

Yeah, 3rd Edition was a HUGE leap forward. I agree that it still wasn't "good," but it was at least playable.

The grid and the crosshairs were introduced part way through Rogue Trader; 2e just used location charts that you rolled on depending on facing. Though even hitting a side sponson on a Predator there was a chance if you rolled a few 6s that the whole thing was still gonna blow up.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

STiL. posted:

The grid and the crosshairs were introduced part way through Rogue Trader; 2e just used location charts that you rolled on depending on facing. Though even hitting a side sponson on a Predator there was a chance if you rolled a few 6s that the whole thing was still gonna blow up.

See that sounds awesome. Warmachine has that in a sense with jack systems

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Yeah, and each vehicle had it's own datacard (more bits!) and some of the more unique entries were great. I think Wraithlords (just Eldar Dreadnoughts back then) could get their Spirit Stone cracked and it'd go nuts. Or Chaos Dreadnoughts (which were already nuts) having a lucky roll and actually losing their rules for Stupidity and Frenzy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

STiL. posted:

Yeah, and each vehicle had it's own datacard (more bits!) and some of the more unique entries were great. I think Wraithlords (just Eldar Dreadnoughts back then) could get their Spirit Stone cracked and it'd go nuts. Or Chaos Dreadnoughts (which were already nuts) having a lucky roll and actually losing their rules for Stupidity and Frenzy.

All of that poo poo is cool, but it slows gameplay down to a crawl and just adds more poo poo you can't lose. Back in the pre-digital age, if you lost a data card it would have been a huge hassle to get it replaced.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

All of that poo poo is cool, but it slows gameplay down to a crawl and just adds more poo poo you can't lose. Back in the pre-digital age, if you lost a data card it would have been a huge hassle to get it replaced.

We were kinda on the subject of when Games Workshop was a Good Company with an OK Game. 2nd Edition had an enormous amount of cruft and the only way we played it was to set it up in a basement and only play a few turns at a time over a week, but it was still the best we had and probably more than what we deserved back in the mid-90's.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Played a big game against local know it all, winner gets $10 because for some reason we wanted to play for money to push the already high stakes into the stratosphere. This was right around the time when Cheryl Crow had that all i wanna do is have some fun song. I was using prodigy for my internet.

Him: Chaos with a leader kitted out to hell and back.
Me: Space Wolves with a ton of Imperial allies including an imperial assassin with a vortex grenade and some poo poo to help him not miss.

Turn one, Imperial assassin pops out of some grunt like 3" from his chaos general guy. This is a money game, folks, so I'm gonna tear this guy a new one. Roll a 1. Vortex deviates back onto my assassin and swallows him.

Chaos general guy 360 no scopes almost all of my army. I go to the ATM to get his 10bux, remember i had some special shield that let me reroll the last save on my general guy. We go back in, I make the roll, kill his general and win. I tell him to keep his 10bux cause he was cool and let me use the thing I had forgotten I had.

2nd ed, best ed.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Has anyone outside GW ever played a game of Epic, and how quickly was it cancelled?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Arglebargle III posted:

Has anyone outside GW ever played a game of Epic, and how quickly was it cancelled?

Epic was around for a long time in various formats and even came back from the dead as Epic Armageddon after GW cancelled 3e's 6 month run. There are currently multiple fan versions online that you can dig through and third party manufacturers make "totally not GW figs guys" ranges for it.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Before Warseer went down (yet again) an update to the 2nd ed Battle Bible was posted there, so if you want 2nd ed craziness, it's available. I'm assuming since the Bible was originally created and distributed with GW's permission and is for a 25-year-old dead game that it's okay to post:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/357573/W40K%202nd%20Ed%20BattleBible%201.6.pdf

I can't see myself ever playing this though. I came in on 3rd ed and loved it, though I can appreciate the idea of rolling on a million tables for everything as maybe a one-off game once in a blue moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

STiL. posted:

Stupidity/Frenzy wasn't too bad on a Chaos Dread because most of the time it'd be doing something useful.

I think my favourite 40K moment was in an in-store event. 1500 Points I think, it was mainly a list built around using my only-just-painted Noise Marines, Terminators and Predator. I kitted out the Chaos Predator with Possession and a Warp Amp and was drawn against... Orcs. 1st turn I drive it straight into the middle of his army, ramming through Gretchin and immediately a huge chunk of his army has to start taking Terror tests with negative modifiers. Nearly each of my models had sustained fire dice, I didn't even make it through the entire shooting phase before the guy conceded.

Complete dick move, but I was a dumb teenager playing at a store, so what else was going to happen.

The thing I liked about 2E? Dumping wargear on vehicles and heroes meant that I didn't have to buy that much stuff for a viable Chaos or Eldar army. It meant I could actually stand up to my friend's Space Wolf army, where his rich parents had bought him enough Terminators to fill the total number of Terminators in the Space Wolf fluff. And of course they all had special weapons.

• Locked thread