Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also, Dammit, I need a Titan X(P) now... :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Grog posted:

Anybody have any experience with the EVGA GTX 1060 SC? It's selling for about $60 (CAD) cheaper than an MSI Gaming X, but someone on SPCR got one and says the fan's bearing starts to "howl" at speeds around 1100 RPM, and some people on EVGA's forums can hear it closer to 1000 RPM. The only reviews I've found with temperatures have it around 75*C at load and "quiet" at 38 dB on the newer "0dB" BIOS, with the previous BIOS having the load noise around 5 dB louder at ~1500 RPM. If you tried to overclock it and wanted to keep temperatures low so it doesn't throttle significantly, it sounds like it might make the fan noise annoying.

I have overly sensitive hearing and I guess I'm just trying to decide if extra quiet is worth an extra $60.

One person's 'howl' is another person's 'quiet enough for me.'

As for grades...someone surmised a while back that it seems that very little 'binning' is going on with the 10x0 chips, and the lack of the EVGA Kingpin, Classified, and 'Lightning' SKUs from MSI seems to kind of confirm that. My guess is it comes down to 'does it work? Yeah? Okay, slap it on a loving card, we've got orders to fulfill" at this point.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 26, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

While this is true, can't you walk into a BB with an ad at an online store (or other B&M store) that has it cheaper without rebates or anything, and just match it?

Pretty sure they match even most official online stores (Amazon themselves, Newegg, etc) since Fry and WalMart started doing that years ago.

BestBuy often gets manufacturers to give them their own special SKUs so that they don't have to price match. For example, Best Buy only sells the S2716DGR.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

BestBuy often gets manufacturers to give them their own special SKUs so that they don't have to price match. For example, Best Buy only sells the S2716DGR.

The "R" stands for "Regret."

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One person's 'howl' is another person's 'quiet enough for me.'

As for grades...someone surmised a while back that it seems that very little 'binning' is going on with the 10x0 chips, and the lack of the EVGA Kingpin, Classified, and 'Lightning' SKUs from MSI seems to kind of confirm that. My guess is it comes down to 'does it work? Yeah? Okay, slap it on a loving card, we've got orders to fulfill" at this point.
Yeah, I wasn't really worried about binning and am more concerned with the noise and keeping the card cool enough. If I could find a recording of the fan somewhere then I'd be able to decide easily, but nobody seems to have recorded it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Grog posted:

Yeah, I wasn't really worried about binning and am more concerned with the noise and keeping the card cool enough. If I could find a recording of the fan somewhere then I'd be able to decide easily, but nobody seems to have recorded it.

I have one, I can hear it a bit under full fan load but that was pretty rare playing doom. I'd call it a quiet card.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How is it so much faster than the 1080?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Because you're taking $1200 and shoving it up the rear end of diminishing returns.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Grog posted:

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOEryFcZfnY

Or this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awB3VivRPAo

Not that these should be taken as gospel, because every card is potentially different - either better or much worse.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 27, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

You could game on a Quadro.

https://youtu.be/LC_sx6A5Wko

Seriously though, you should wait for Volta. Nvidia's own road maps show it as being like almost double Pascal's capabilities and they have stacked VRAM as one of the features listed on many of the maps. You really need more than 4k@60 that the Titan does for VR.

\/ Yes you can, Linus did a video on it yesterday. No performance improvements over a Titan X, but you get 24GB of GDDR5X.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 27, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Not a P6000.

e: I meant the P6000 wasn't what that video was talking about, I didn't know he got a P6000 as well.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 27, 2016

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOEryFcZfnY

Or this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awB3VivRPAo

Not that these should be taken as gospel, because every card is potentially different - either better or much worse.
Yeah, like those. My problem is finding the specific cooler for the EVGA 1060 SC since it uses a single-fan setup. It's supposedly the same cooler as on their 960 SC, but I can't seem to find any recordings of that either.

Lockback posted:

I have one, I can hear it a bit under full fan load but that was pretty rare playing doom. I'd call it a quiet card.
Thanks. I've found a couple of other people who said it's usually quiet, but others who say the opposite. The lack of reviews and detailed accounts and then conflicting reports about it are making me doubt everything.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 27, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

How is it so much faster than the 1080?

I wonder that as well. Considering the settings he is using, and the fact that I run the settings higher on my 980ti and I know I can hold 90fps some of the time.

I plan to hold out... Plan.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Paul MaudDib posted:

R is for retail and it's not bb specific. It's for brick and mortar stores. Microcenter sells the same one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I tried finding a sound recording of the single fan cooler 1060, and it's almost disturbingly suspect how all the reviews of it seem to have some obnoxious music playing over the muted sound of the card actually operating.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 27, 2016

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wonder that as well. Considering the settings he is using, and the fact that I run the settings higher on my 980ti and I know I can hold 90fps some of the time.

I plan to hold out... Plan.

The Titan XP has as follows 50.5% more cuda cores, 40% more texture mapping units, and 50% more render output units at like 10-15% slower clock speeds.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Grog posted:

Yeah, like those. My problem is finding the specific cooler for the EVGA 1060 SC since it uses a single-fan setup. It's supposedly the same cooler as on their 960 SC, but I can't seem to find any recordings of that either.
Thanks. I've found a couple of other people who said it's usually quiet, but others who say the opposite. The lack of reviews and detailed accounts and then conflicting reports about it are making me doubt everything.

There's some luck of the draw, some impact on case acoustics and heat dissipation affecting how hard the fan had to work. I don't think your going to get an answer, I'd order one and return it if it's too loud.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey Anime Schoolgirl, XFX has a fanless 460.

http://videocardz.com/63418/xfx-announces-fanless-radeon-rx-460

Looks like if you want the holy grail, the 460 will be the chip they use to make it.

Separately, looks like the second wave of Freesync monitors is hitting. The Samsung CF791 is:

* 21:9 curved
* 1440p
* 4ms response time
* 3000:1 contrast ratio
* VA panel
* 125% sRGB
* VESA mount
* 100Hz Freesync (!!!!!) over DP _and_ HDMI

http://techreport.com/news/30577/upcoming-samsung-cf791-is-a-high-contrast-freesync-ultrawide

My white whale just got replaced, hard.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 27, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Oh god, and I was just wishing in this thread something like that existed the other day.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Looks like if you want the holy grail, the 460 will be the chip they use to make it.

Separately, looks like the second wave of Freesync monitors is hitting. The Samsung CF791 is:

* 1440p
* 4ms response time
* VA panel
* 125% sRGB
* VESA mount

http://techreport.com/news/30577/upcoming-samsung-cf791-is-a-high-contrast-freesync-ultrawide

Hey does anyone want to buy the XR341CK I can't shut up about getting a good price on? I'll give you a good price! :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am not very optimistic that they'll make something that replaces my LP 7750 on the TV PC without putting it inside the "Radeon Pro" product line :shepicide:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* 1440p
* 4ms response time
* VA panel
* 125% sRGB
* VESA mount

Yeah, I mentioned these a couple times over the past couple of pages. There are also 24" 1080p and 27" 1440p versions of these as well! Hell, there currently already are prior versions of those for really cheap, like $175 for the 24" cheap (it has freesync, but I don't know what the frame rate is)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I am not very optimistic that they'll make something that replaces my LP 7750 on the TV PC without putting it inside the "Radeon Pro" product line :shepicide:

....You know what, I just thought of something. If workstation cards have the cooler that you want for the form factor you need, why not scrounge for a LP, single-slot, workstation card's cooler, so you can do a heatsinkectomy with an LP, not-single-slot's consumer card's cooler? I mean surely ebay has parts?

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

There's some luck of the draw, some impact on case acoustics and heat dissipation affecting how hard the fan had to work. I don't think your going to get an answer, I'd order one and return it if it's too loud.
Thanks for the advice. I'm sure it's still a great card, but I decided to go with the MSI anyway. I debated with myself over it for way too long, but I ended up choosing the MSI because the retailer (like most of them, at least in Canada, it looks like) charges a 15% restocking fee if the product is open. Add that to the fact that MSI has an RMA service center actually within Canada where EVGA's only got the location in the US, and I'd not be saving any money if I didn't like the sound or anything eventually went wrong with the card. I'm coming from a cooler that's extremely quiet most of the time (this Gigabyte GTX 770), and from listening to recordings of the MSI cooler, I'm more assured that it'll basically be silent even during heavy use. With everything else, I just didn't feel like taking a chance on the EVGA. Again, though, thanks for the help, Lockback and BIG HEADLINE.

Man. I remembered today why I don't like buying hardware. I fret over it and have way too much ingrained guilt over spending money on these things. Thanks, childhood! :cry:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* 1440p
* 4ms response time
* VA panel
* 125% sRGB
* VESA mount

What's the bottom end for Freesync on this? I've got 30-90Hz on mine, are we talking 20-100Hz?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Nobody on the internet seems to have that information, or I'd have thrown that in, but I don't know how they hit 100Hz without being able to do the LFC thing. 40Hz as a floor isn't even reaching that hard.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

* 1440p
* 4ms response time
* VA panel
* 125% sRGB
* VESA mount

Mother of God.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Now we just need an AMD card that can actually run anything at that resolution.

I'm still holding onto my 7970HD hoping...

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
isnt crossfire and sli pretty much only good for the use case of needing to push a high resolution?

not that its a good idea

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Well the 980ti for $350 was too tempting, so I guess I'm running SLI now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Nobody on the internet seems to have that information, or I'd have thrown that in, but I don't know how they hit 100Hz without being able to do the LFC thing. 40Hz as a floor isn't even reaching that hard.

I was under the impression that LFC is a software thing that is automagically enabled by the driver if the top of the range is >= 2.5x the bottom range. Is that not so?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I think there's a could missing in there. A wide enough range should be a pretty much certain thing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gonkish posted:

I was under the impression that LFC is a software thing that is automagically enabled by the driver if the top of the range is >= 2.5x the bottom range. Is that not so?

Yes.

"Automatically enabled on all AMD FreeSync™-ready monitors where max refresh is ≥2.5X min. refresh"
"No user configuration or proprietary monitor hardware required"

It's therefore not a thing a monitor supports explicitly, but a consequence of a decent refresh range.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fauxtool posted:

isnt crossfire and sli pretty much only good for the use case of needing to push a high resolution?

not that its a good idea

No, it's not really even good for that.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gonkish posted:

What HalloKitty said, but I was implying that as Samsung's latest and greatest, it would be dumb if they didn't engineer it to have the range necessary for LFC.

It would be like taking a tiny dollop of turd and using it to replace a dot of frosting on an otherwise beautiful chocolate cake.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So here's an interesting question:

My dad went and got himself this 4k TV, and he wants to use it as a monitor for his PC. Naturally, his lovely Dell Inspiron piece of poo poo with an integrated Radeon HD 4200 or whatever the gently caress it is cannot scale above 1080p. So now I'm looking for a card that fulfills two things:
1.) Can actually push 4k at whatever the hell this thing's refresh rate is.
2.) Doesn't require an external power connector from the PSU, because this is a piece of poo poo Dell prebuilt and I'm 99% sure it doesn't have that poo poo, let alone a PSU that I would trust to support it, even at idle on the desktop.

What's the bare minimum that I'm even looking for, here? I'd assume something like a GTX 960 or RX 460 or something? I have no idea. He has literally never played a video game in his life, so it's STRICTLY desktop stuff, nothing stressful at all, not even 4k video (he paints and wants to use 4k images as a reference).

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Gonkish posted:

So here's an interesting question:

My dad went and got himself this 4k TV, and he wants to use it as a monitor for his PC. Naturally, his lovely Dell Inspiron piece of poo poo with an integrated Radeon HD 4200 or whatever the gently caress it is cannot scale above 1080p. So now I'm looking for a card that fulfills two things:
1.) Can actually push 4k at whatever the hell this thing's refresh rate is.
2.) Doesn't require an external power connector from the PSU, because this is a piece of poo poo Dell prebuilt and I'm 99% sure it doesn't have that poo poo, let alone a PSU that I would trust to support it, even at idle on the desktop.

What's the bare minimum that I'm even looking for, here? I'd assume something like a GTX 960 or RX 460 or something? I have no idea. He has literally never played a video game in his life, so it's STRICTLY desktop stuff, nothing stressful at all, not even 4k video (he paints and wants to use 4k images as a reference).

RX 460 or GTX 950 seems like it would be the best choice here, since you need a card that supports HDMI 2.0. I think all GTX 960's need at least a 6-pin with some 950's being run off slot power.

If you're willing to do a rebate, the GTX 950 is the cheaper option - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126090&cm_re=asus_gtx_950-_-14-126-090-_-Product - 105 after rebate
If not, spending 15 bucks more will get you a RX 460.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Got my uncle a GTX 950 to power his 4K display on his crappy pre-built HP.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Gonkish posted:

What's the bare minimum that I'm even looking for, here? I'd assume something like a GTX 960 or RX 460 or something?

There is no card that runs off slot power that will push games to 4k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Khablam posted:

There is no card that runs off slot power that will push games to 4k.

You chopped off this part in your quote for some reason: "He has literally never played a video game in his life, so it's STRICTLY desktop stuff, nothing stressful at all, not even 4k video (he paints and wants to use 4k images as a reference)."