Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Is there an app or something that will allow lists in Finder to appear more like they do in windows?

Example:

Displays lots of icons

Not as many icons

Icon view, set icon size to 16x16 and put text on right. Adjust grid space as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

carry on then posted:

Icon view, set icon size to 16x16 and put text on right. Adjust grid space as needed.
But they don't sort up-down left-right, they sort left-right up-down! :eek:

eames
May 9, 2009

In your opinion is 8GB RAM (no SSD for fast swapping) enough for 1-tab-Safari/Word/Outlook and VMware Fusion running one instance of Windows 10 running a light business application? I'm thinking of a 5/3GB split.

One of the PCs in our small business was just hit with another case of Ransomware (PEBKAC, no sane amount of firewalling/attachment filtering would have helped) so I'm planning to replace that machine with a base 2.6 Ghz Mac Mini. Wish I could wait until October but I can't.

I know that 4GB on my old MBA still feels very usable but that has a reasonably modern SSD.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Bob Morales posted:

But they don't sort up-down left-right, they sort left-right up-down! :eek:

God forbid anyone ever differ from the Standard Operating System in any way.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So I've been given a Mac for work. Having more functional bash/terminal integration is pretty helpful as someone who does a lot of coding, but there are a few things I'm struggling with a little.

I'm looking for software alternatives to launchpad and finder as they are irredeemably awful. Launchpad has way too much clutter for someone who uses more than 4 programs, and has a bizarre distinction between applications that are "minimized" and those they are merely not in focus (in which case you can tell which applications are open or not by a dot the size of an atom). Finder on the other hand seems to hide all of its key functionality in menus instead of easy to use buttons. Needing to click multiple times to get to the enclosing folder is a pain, and I definitely shouldn't need to use "go to" in order to get to the root directory where a bunch of subfolders I regularly need to interact with are located.

I'd rather be productive than complain, so I figure the thread might have some good suggestions?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
What's a good utility to get windows-style Mouse3 activity, i.e. clicking the scrollwheel and nudging up or down to scroll on a page freely? I have two systems here at work, connected with synergy, and I'm trying to make an effort to use the mac more often for fungible tasks like internet research but keep finding myself back on the windows workstation for little petty operational differences.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Arcanen posted:

So I've been given a Mac for work. Having more functional bash/terminal integration is pretty helpful as someone who does a lot of coding, but there are a few things I'm struggling with a little.

I'm looking for software alternatives to launchpad and finder as they are irredeemably awful.

You're just not used to them.

quote:

Launchpad has way too much clutter for someone who uses more than 4 programs, and has a bizarre distinction between applications that are "minimized" and those they are merely not in focus (in which case you can tell which applications are open or not by a dot the size of an atom).

This is not LaunchPad, which is just a full screen grid of icons similar to an iOS homescreen. My best guess for what you are describing is the Dock, the bar of icons along the bottom (by default) of the screen. Your confusion is arising from the fact that, in OS X, windows belong much more strongly to an application than they do on Windows. Between being able to hide windows and the fact that most applications will actually stay open even if all their windows are closed, it's usually considered more rare to minimize windows on OS X and so they get a special place on the dock. If you want windows to minimize into their application icon like Windows does, go to System Preferences > Dock.

You'll get used to looking for the dots, as well.

quote:

Finder on the other hand seems to hide all of its key functionality in menus instead of easy to use buttons. Needing to click multiple times to get to the enclosing folder is a pain, and I definitely shouldn't need to use "go to" in order to get to the root directory where a bunch of subfolders I regularly need to interact with are located.

You can add more buttons to the toolbar, including a Path button with menu items up to root. Right/two-finger click on the toolbar and click Customize... You an also access the path menu by right clicking the window title. This works in most document-based applications, as well, so you can open parent folders in the Finder from them.

You can add any folder you want to the Favorites section of the sidebar by dragging and dropping. You can also add your boot volume (which is /, it just doesn't say it) by choosing Finder menu > Preferences > Sidebar and checking the box next to Hard Disks.

I'm not sure of many Dock alternatives but you might look into seeing if your company will spring for Path Finder (http://www.cocoatech.com/pathfinder/) if you want more power user features.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Literally just use spotlight for everything.

CMD-Space

EVERYTHING

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yes! My fav thing to do on iOS with iPad Pro kb

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Arcanen posted:

I'm looking for software alternatives to launchpad and finder as they are irredeemably awful. Launchpad has way too much clutter for someone who uses more than 4 programs, and has a bizarre distinction between applications that are "minimized" and those they are merely not in focus (in which case you can tell which applications are open or not by a dot the size of an atom). Finder on the other hand seems to hide all of its key functionality in menus instead of easy to use buttons. Needing to click multiple times to get to the enclosing folder is a pain, and I definitely shouldn't need to use "go to" in order to get to the root directory where a bunch of subfolders I regularly need to interact with are located.

I'd rather be productive than complain, so I figure the thread might have some good suggestions?

In addition to the path menu/ctrl-clicking the window title, cmd+up will take you up a level. The Go Menu has a big ol' list of shortcuts, and I'd tell you cmd+shift+c for Computer'll take you to the root, but I think you want /, not what amounts to /mnt. So instead here are two exciting options: if, for example, all the subfolders you are routinely looking for are in /usr, you could just drag /usr to the dock, on the right/bottom side of the horizontal line, next to the trash. The problem here is that unless you wanted to navigate the directory via that pop-up, this isn't actually useful.

What you can do instead is make an alias to the folder you want, for example /usr/ by dragging that folder to the desktop and holding cmd and option (the cursor'll turn into a curved arrow). You'd normally be able to just hit cmd-L to make an alias, but since you can't write to /usr, you can't create an alias there either. Dragging to somewhere you can write works just fine, though. And since directories like /usr /var /etc, &c. are hidden in finder, once you're in them, if you've enabled the path bar, you can drag the folder from the path bar to do this.

Really, it'd be easier to just navigate to the directory and stick it on the favorites section in the left panel.

As a side note, I swear I had to use either some sort of defaults command or Onyx to re-enable the library folder, but now in 10.11.5 there's just an option to show the library folder? It's under view options if you're at ~. That's pretty nice of them.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Literally just use spotlight for everything.

CMD-Space

EVERYTHING

This. And I still like Hyperdock a whole lot, too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm going to suggest removing anything that isn't running right now from the Dock. That'll clean it up nicely. Use cmd-space to launch other stuff and add them to the Dock if launching them that way gets to be a hassle.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

No insult intended to the dude switching, but going to Mac from Windows and expecting them to match up is kind of a mistake.

I also switched from a pretty boss PC to my MBP for a daily driver - initially I hated Finder too, but once you're used to it, it's equal to exlorer for most uses*. Spotlight is also about as good as Start.

*Except that merge / replace is bullshit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's always been so much hate for Finder, but I guess in the last 10+ years I've not spent enough time futzing about with the filesystem to care. I spend enough time in Explorer and find myself more irritated by that to be honest, although both work fine enough for normal file management.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Easy to use panorama stitching software recommendations?

Google is recommending Hugin to me, so giving a download - but any goon certified ones?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I'm so mac-tarded, I've been using one for like 5 years and never even tried spotlight/cmd+space

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jesus Christ

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Quantum love the AV but there's the other half smh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

Quantum love the AV but there's the other half smh

I'm sorry I'm on my mobile and I don't know how to do it and also my hotel doesn't have Wifi, it's crazy.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Kekekela posted:

I'm so mac-tarded, I've been using one for like 5 years and never even tried spotlight/cmd+space

I recommend looking into Alfred. It's a very powerful workflow app but you can just use it as a glorified Spotlight if you want and even then I definitely think it's worth it as I've found it quite a bit faster than Spotlight. Perhaps having an external app installed will motivate you to get into the habit of using that functionality, and I promise you'll be kicking yourself for not taking advantage of this kind of stuff sooner once you see what Alfred can do.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
My opinion is that once finder went to cmd space my use of Alfred went out the door

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

rear end Catchcum posted:

My opinion is that once finder went to cmd space my use of Alfred went out the door

Or you can just assign cmd-space to Alfred. That's what I did.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Cyne posted:

I recommend looking into Alfred. It's a very powerful workflow app but you can just use it as a glorified Spotlight if you want and even then I definitely think it's worth it as I've found it quite a bit faster than Spotlight. Perhaps having an external app installed will motivate you to get into the habit of using that functionality, and I promise you'll be kicking yourself for not taking advantage of this kind of stuff sooner once you see what Alfred can do.

I tried it a while back (from a recommendation in this thread) and it didn't really click, I'll definitely think about giving it another try though.

The thing is my primary work machine runs Windows. While I do some work stuff on the MBA its primarily in a terminal (iTerm2) and other than that its just Steam/Spotify/Chrome use pretty much. All that crap I just have docked.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

flosofl posted:

Or you can just assign cmd-space to Alfred. That's what I did.

I probably wasn't super clear. I meant, once spotlight/finder started doing exactly what I had been using Alfred for I found no more use for Alfred.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

eames posted:

In your opinion is 8GB RAM (no SSD for fast swapping) enough for 1-tab-Safari/Word/Outlook and VMware Fusion running one instance of Windows 10 running a light business application? I'm thinking of a 5/3GB split.

One of the PCs in our small business was just hit with another case of Ransomware (PEBKAC, no sane amount of firewalling/attachment filtering would have helped) so I'm planning to replace that machine with a base 2.6 Ghz Mac Mini. Wish I could wait until October but I can't.

I know that 4GB on my old MBA still feels very usable but that has a reasonably modern SSD.

Sure, that'd be fine. I can't comment specifically on Win10, but I use VMware Fusion for Win7 when I need to use Visual Studio (I believe I give it 4GB) and it's just fine.

With that said, I do wish I had "splurged" an extra $80 or so to get 16GB. Worth it, IMO.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

carry on then posted:

Thanks, men. :cabot:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

is there a way to hide .dsstore from my desk top? I need dotfiles visible for htaccess, gitignore etc but hate having dsstore in my face all the time.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

well why not posted:

is there a way to hide .dsstore from my desk top? I need dotfiles visible for htaccess, gitignore etc but hate having dsstore in my face all the time.

macOS Sierra public beta hides the .DS_Store files even when hidden files are showing. If you don't want to run the beta or wait for Sierra to be released, you can change the icon to a transparent square and then drag it off a bottom corner of the screen so you don't see the filename.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On a similar subject, is there a way to stop them from being written to a USB stick I have? My tv media player doesn't understand they should be hidden, and they plague my file listings.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

EL BROMANCE posted:

On a similar subject, is there a way to stop them from being written to a USB stick I have? My tv media player doesn't understand they should be hidden, and they plague my file listings.

Download Blueharvest. It prevents .dsstore and similar files being written to external drives. You have to pay for it ($15 for three computers) but I've not found a free app that works as well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to get Microsoft Office programs to close after I close the last document open in them? After a few hours of work I tend to get Word, Excel and PowerPoint icons cluttering up my doc.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to get Microsoft Office programs to close after I close the last document open in them? After a few hours of work I tend to get Word, Excel and PowerPoint icons cluttering up my doc.

No.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It's not really the Mac way.... A window does not represent the application, the application keeps running even if it has no active or open windows. The Office Mac team at Microsoft actually tries pretty hard to make their applications fit into the Apple ecosystem, in my experience, so yeah it behaves like anything else on OS X. Keeps running even when all the windows are closed. You can still tab to it, there's just nothing to see. If you want to kill the app, learn to love Cmd-Q.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any program I regularly use I keep the icon in the dock anyway...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Just give up an embrace what I call the professorial dock which includes every single application on the system at 5px.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

carry on then posted:

Just give up an embrace what I call the professorial dock which includes every single application on the system at 5px.

And Magnification set to the maximum.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

And Magnification set to the maximum.

Oh god, that plus having the trackpad acceleration to maximum. You use someone else's computer and it's like "how do you live like this?!?"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Pivo posted:

Oh god, that plus having the trackpad acceleration to maximum. You use someone else's computer and it's like "how do you live like this?!?"

Effortlessly. :smug:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

This but having any icons at all on your desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This but having any icons at all on your desktop

If there's an icon on my desktop, it's because that's something that was supposed to be done last week.