Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

computer parts posted:

That map pretty clearly shows why swing states are the ones they are.

Also that California used to be conservative as all hell.

California is conservative as all hell outside of a few small but influential areas. There's a reason why they have Republican governors so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

California is conservative as all hell outside of a few small but influential areas. There's a reason why they have Republican governors so often.

Massachusetts does too and they had their White Men go to Obama one year.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ras Het posted:

Love too see scifi writers' bafflingly wrong ideas about what computers would go on to do

i like the part of Ender's Game where Usenet gets so big/popular that anonymous posters can get elected president. remember it was written between 1977 and 1985

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

icantfindaname posted:

i like the part of Ender's Game where Usenet gets so big/popular that anonymous posters can get elected president. remember it was written between 1977 and 1985

Instead of "Demosthenes" writing eloquent rhetoric about the human condition, it's a guy writing racist tirades 140 characters at a time who's running for President.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

computer parts posted:

From what I can remember that's a "science man meets dumb heathens, but it turns out the latter is actually correct" story. Computers are very tangential to it, about as much as The Star.

It's very important because it contained the idea of a computer as a machine that manipulates symbols, not just something that solves math problems. This was not common knowledge in 1953, a time when the operation of computers was mostly regarded as clerical work. Ada Lovelace is regarded as the first computer programmer because she (and not the machine's inventor) recognized the capability of the first computer to be used to process anything quantifiable, not just grind out a bunch of polynomials. Clarke was one of the first writers to identify and depict in fiction the sort of things that computers are actually useful for, and furthermore to depict this use as having world-changing consequences.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Antti posted:

Instead of "Demosthenes" writing eloquent rhetoric about the human condition, it's a guy writing racist tirades 140 characters at a time who's running for President.

so sort of like the actual demosthenes?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Not a map but I feel like this fits in with the spirit of this thread: http://mashable.com/2016/08/27/abc-for-baby-patriots/#YgFxOUc66qqP

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

HookShot posted:

Not a map but I feel like this fits in with the spirit of this thread: http://mashable.com/2016/08/27/abc-for-baby-patriots/#YgFxOUc66qqP
E is for Europe
Where sun never sets;
The larger we make it
The bigger it gets.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

It's very important because it contained the idea of a computer as a machine that manipulates symbols, not just something that solves math problems. This was not common knowledge in 1953, a time when the operation of computers was mostly regarded as clerical work. Ada Lovelace is regarded as the first computer programmer because she (and not the machine's inventor) recognized the capability of the first computer to be used to process anything quantifiable, not just grind out a bunch of polynomials. Clarke was one of the first writers to identify and depict in fiction the sort of things that computers are actually useful for, and furthermore to depict this use as having world-changing consequences.

Nice post

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

HookShot posted:

lol that everyone going to India to shoot tigers is literally two letters after boasting about preserving game

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Britain (Gibraltar) is a pimple on the turd-sniffing nose of a demented old wizard.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Has a huge fan of science fiction: Science fiction is dumb and stupid. Anyway the science fiction part of this is maybe some day politician will use the Internet to be e-famous and leverage that to influence how a country is run. We are not there yet, but is not a imposible, is not even a big stretch. These days only Trump is a fan of the Internet, posting stuff on Twitter and that probably has helped him somewhat, but is not the main vehicle, people still choose the president based on what they see in TV.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

lol that everyone going to India to shoot tigers is literally two letters after boasting about preserving game
The word right below preserve is shoot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tei posted:

Has a huge fan of science fiction: Science fiction is dumb and stupid. Anyway the science fiction part of this is maybe some day politician will use the Internet to be e-famous and leverage that to influence how a country is run. We are not there yet, but is not a imposible, is not even a big stretch. These days only Trump is a fan of the Internet, posting stuff on Twitter and that probably has helped him somewhat, but is not the main vehicle, people still choose the president based on what they see in TV.

The Five Star Movement in Italy is pretty much that already, right?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm loving this Afro-lion

You tried, Mary Frances Ames.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

HookShot posted:

D is for the Dutch Republic
We'll remember the day
The only time Brits were beaten
At the Raid on the Medway.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HookShot posted:

loving W made me gasp for air

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

It was so on the nose I had to go check a second source to make sure it's real.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ofaloaf posted:

You're like "oh ok I'm getting to the end these are bad, but it's almost ov - HOLY poo poo"

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

HookShot posted:

I love how on daring the army is chasing away what looks like the French army.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

HookShot posted:

You just set my rants against any American news relating to the British royal family back a decade.

"My ancestors died* so that I don't have to give a poo poo about these assholes!"

*More accurately, fled Ireland later on, but who's counting?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

tbf it's not like America was any more enlightened at that period in history. Arguably less.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Whorelord posted:

tbf it's not like America was any more enlightened at that period in history. Arguably less.
"How poo poo was country X around the fin de siècle" is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. But i'll bite anyway, not knowing much about America around this time period. What manner of atrocities were you guys getting up to back then?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Hambilderberglar posted:

"How poo poo was country X around the fin de siècle" is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. But i'll bite anyway, not knowing much about America around this time period. What manner of atrocities were you guys getting up to back then?

Helping coin the term "banana republic", Hearst instigating a war against Spain, and the occupation of the Philippines come to mind.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The problem is that some countries are still doing this now, in 2016.

PS. I like how the British one has J=Judges instead of, oh, Justice.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 29, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Antti posted:

Helping coin the term "banana republic", Hearst instigating a war against Spain, and the occupation of the Philippines come to mind.
Also coining the term "nadir of American race relations."

Ofaloaf posted:

I was expecting Wales.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So I know nobody gave a poo poo about the Irish, but weren't the Scots and the Welsh kinda peeved about the whole "BY JOLLY IT SURE IS GOOD RULING AN ENGLISH EMPIRE FROM ENGLAND AS AN ENGLISHMAN" thing? I mean there wouldn't even be an United Britain without a Scottish King who got it from a Welsh royal family!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

DarkCrawler posted:

So I know nobody gave a poo poo about the Irish, but weren't the Scots and the Welsh kinda peeved about the whole "BY JOLLY IT SURE IS GOOD RULING AN ENGLISH EMPIRE FROM ENGLAND AS AN ENGLISHMAN" thing? I mean there wouldn't even be an United Britain without a Scottish King who got it from a Welsh royal family!

Until the 20th century Scots nationalism wasn't really a thing and Welsh nationalism has never been a big thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rumda posted:

Until the 20th century Scots nationalism wasn't really a thing and Welsh nationalism has never been a big thing.

Welsh kids at school used to be forced to wear a token around their necks if they were caught speaking Welsh. The only way to get rid of it was if you heard another kid speaking Welsh, then off it would go from around your neck and on to theirs. Whichever kid had the thing around their necks at the end of the school day was beaten.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Over 80% of the country thinks that immigrants should be required to learn English, even if they're immigrating from Welsh Patagonia to Gwynedd to work for a Welsh language publication, even though Welsh is an official language in Wales and English is not an official language in England.

Purple - more than one official language, green - one official language but functionally multilingual, blue - no official language and multiple languages in practice.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If immigrants speak Welsh they should be let in to work in curiosity museums

The Devil Tongued Patagonian

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just meant that hundreds upon hundreds of years of practices such as the one I described do some things to a people and their identity.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Over 80% of the country thinks that immigrants should be required to learn English, even if they're immigrating from Welsh Patagonia to Gwynedd to work for a Welsh language publication, even though Welsh is an official language in Wales and English is not an official language in England.

Purple - more than one official language, green - one official language but functionally multilingual, blue - no official language and multiple languages in practice.
Sweden and United Kingdom both should be green.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Grey is where people don't speak any languages

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Kurtofan posted:

Brazilians, much like the common bee, communicate by shaking their posterior.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sweden and United Kingdom both should be green.
The UK does not have any official language. Individual provinces may recognize official languages, but the deep seated aversion of the Briton to putting anything concrete in writing leaves the country as a whole with only a de facto language. The same was true for the flag except aboard ship until just under 100 years ago.

Kurtofan posted:

Certainly not any good ones, you can tell because Australia.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can't classify what Australians speak into any category.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Hambilderberglar posted:

-The US Supreme Court upheld Plessy v. Ferguson which stated that segregation was okay as long as everyone got equal treatment.
-Haymarket Massacre. A bunch of striking workers were holding a rally in Chicago when a bomb went off and the police open fired on the crowd. The reason everyone (except the US) celebrates Labor or Union or Worker's day on May 1.
-Massacre at Wounded Knee. The US Army opens fire on a camp of Lakota men, women, children, killing at least 150.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 29, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

cheerfullydrab posted:

Welsh kids at school used to be forced to wear a token around their necks if they were caught speaking Welsh. The only way to get rid of it was if you heard another kid speaking Welsh, then off it would go from around your neck and on to theirs. Whichever kid had the thing around their necks at the end of the school day was beaten.

anyone whose actually seen/heard welsh knows that the welsh deserve to be beaten up