Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Are the epic crates no longer available? I can't find them in the store.

And speaking as someone who is probably in the 0.10% of people who have spent the most money on this game, I spend money not expecting a return, but to support the company behind it so they have more money to spend on improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ShowTime posted:

Are the epic crates no longer available? I can't find them in the store.

And speaking as someone who is probably in the 0.10% of people who have spent the most money on this game, I spend money not expecting a return, but to support the company behind it so they have more money to spend on improvements.

How do you feel that the company continues to make moves towards being shadier and less transparent the more popular they get?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Holy poo poo what happened to the Welcome Back quest money, that was one of my favorite things about the game

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

frajaq posted:

Holy poo poo what happened to the Welcome Back quest money, that was one of my favorite things about the game

It got cut in half mid August. 5 per missed quest, with a max of 25. It only slows down people who aren't playing every day, which is odd to me, since even with the higher welcome back quest, there was a large difference in playing daily vs not.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

yeah well that's just like your opinion, man

Megasabin posted:

How do you feel that the company continues to make moves towards being shadier and less transparent the more popular they get?

I'm not trying to make excuses or anything, but at the moment 70% of the dev team is currently at PAX West. In light of this recent shitstorm, there's a reasonable chance you can expect an official statement when everyone returns.

Kronikle fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 3, 2016

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I'm a little sad about the pack drop rate changes but then I played some new creep Cassyva and it's fun enough that I'm over it.

This game is still pretty generous. I got three packs from gold today and I only played casually.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I really love my wraithling deck, even when i don't draw the dancers until the very end.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Have been binging out on the online play trying to get everything to 11, am now at Silver (bouncing between 19 and 20) and have everything at 11 except Abyssian at 6. Just had funnest win yet, taking out a full health magmar general with a 23/24 Vale Hunter (from Deathfire Crescendo) followed by a sabertooth rush :dance:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I'm about to try this out. Anyone want a referral bonus?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Eschatos posted:

I'm about to try this out. Anyone want a referral bonus?

Yeah me. It's losputos

Enjoy your 100g

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Lmao $10 for an epic crate key, maybe coulda gotten 2.50 out of me but no possible way would I pay that for cosmetic stuff out of a crate. They need to take some notes from valve on how to game money out of suckers for random stuff.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So after much guide consulting I ended up disenchanting stuff that I hopefully wouldn't miss and cobbled together my poor man's version of a "Control Kass" deck:

https://duelystdb.com/decks/view/11722

Has been working pretty well so far but definitely open to suggestions espcially as far as what to get next. Kind of let down by the reapers which consumed all my crafting dust and I don't seem to use that often, thinking I should've done the spell that refreshes your hand instead.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Obviously you'll probably want an Obliterate sooner or later, but that's an expensive Legendary you probably can't afford anytime soon. Darkspine Elementals would double the effectiveness of your Shadow Creep, and Spheres of Darkness and Abyssal Crawlers will get your Creep out faster. I'm torn on Night Fiends. They seem like they should be great in a high Creep environment but they never seem to work out for me. :shrug:

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Hit Diamond after not playing for several months. I'm still annoyed by how much variance they've added to the game, but at least it's mostly incremental stuff instead of explosively swingy things like Keeper of the Vale and Reaper. It still really sucks to lose games off of your opponent's L'Kian giving him a critical dispel or having a Pet take the wrong path though.

Couple of observations:

-Save your loving dispels. Shimzar added like 20 different things that are Dispel or lose, and even at the bottom of Gold I was still playing people that would Drain Essence a Jaxi or First Wished Falcius and then stare helplessly at a Kron or Nimbus 3 turns later.

-Falcius pretty single-handedly made Sajj legit. I'm on the fence as to whether she or Zirix is better, but leaning towards her. It's hard to argue with the reliability of spamming 2/2s all game, but being able to bash Minions for 8 damage and take 0 in return probably does it.

-I like how much variety the expansion added to the field, but Grow Magmar is dumb and feels like it either runs over people or faceplants based entirely on whether it can land an undispelled Huntress for a few turns.

-It occurs to me have yet to see a single one of the 8-cost spells or new Legendary artifacts actually played.

Kekekela posted:

So after much guide consulting I ended up disenchanting stuff that I hopefully wouldn't miss and cobbled together my poor man's version of a "Control Kass" deck:

https://duelystdb.com/decks/view/11722

Has been working pretty well so far but definitely open to suggestions espcially as far as what to get next. Kind of let down by the reapers which consumed all my crafting dust and I don't seem to use that often, thinking I should've done the spell that refreshes your hand instead.

Stick with Reaper until you get more of the key Cassyva cards. Reaper doesn't fit her theme and is swingy, but the swing is from merely good (pulling a 2-cost minion) to obnoxiously game-winning (pulling an Aymara Healer or Ironcliff Guardian).

My first recommendation would be to switch heroes. Budget Abyssian and Cassyva in particular is hard to pull off, because after the Shadow Nova rework, all of the Abyssian finishers are Legendaries. For Cassyva that's Ghost Azalea and Obliterate.

Without those, there's really not a compelling reason to play her since cumulative Creep doesn't do anything except pump Juggernauts, which are pretty easy to deal with. Look at how few Abyssian cards you're actually playing, and of those Reaper is the only one that's a very good card (and has nothing to do with Cassyva).

If you're determined to stick with her though, I'd suggest:

-Save up for Azaleas and/or Obliterates. Top priority.

-Drop Shadow Nova. I think the new version kind of sucks even with Azalea/Obliterate and unequivocally without them. Literally almost any other card Abyssian or Neutral card would be better.

-Pick up Ooz, Sphere of Darkness, and the 2/1 that makes creep. Night Fiend looks decent to me on paper, but I have yet to see anyone actually use it, so I might be wrong.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Do you find three aethermasters being too much or is it just so you can go all in on drawing your combo? I'm away from consistent internet so it'll be a while before I can test this out.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

Do you find three aethermasters being too much or is it just so you can go all in on drawing your combo? I'm away from consistent internet so it'll be a while before I can test this out.

It's a copy paste of a relatively well known player named nowayitsj's post on Reddit. The gist of it is you go off on 6 or 7 mana and win the game. The oodles of card draw and replace let you find what you need and very little can prevent it from happening because it's out-of-hand damage and Juxtaposition lets you cruise past a Provoke.

Original Reddit thread: https://m.reddit.com/r/duelyst/comments/516ofc/the_most_broken_deck_in_duelyst/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I've been playing some and it seems very good

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Avasculous posted:

Hit Diamond after not playing for several months. I'm still annoyed by how much variance they've added to the game, but at least it's mostly incremental stuff instead of explosively swingy things like Keeper of the Vale and Reaper. It still really sucks to lose games off of your opponent's L'Kian giving him a critical dispel or having a Pet take the wrong path though.

Couple of observations:

-Save your loving dispels. Shimzar added like 20 different things that are Dispel or lose, and even at the bottom of Gold I was still playing people that would Drain Essence a Jaxi or First Wished Falcius and then stare helplessly at a Kron or Nimbus 3 turns later.

-Falcius pretty single-handedly made Sajj legit. I'm on the fence as to whether she or Zirix is better, but leaning towards her. It's hard to argue with the reliability of spamming 2/2s all game, but being able to bash Minions for 8 damage and take 0 in return probably does it.

-I like how much variety the expansion added to the field, but Grow Magmar is dumb and feels like it either runs over people or faceplants based entirely on whether it can land an undispelled Huntress for a few turns.

-It occurs to me have yet to see a single one of the 8-cost spells or new Legendary artifacts actually played.

Stick with Reaper until you get more of the key Cassyva cards. Reaper doesn't fit her theme and is swingy, but the swing is from merely good (pulling a 2-cost minion) to obnoxiously game-winning (pulling an Aymara Healer or Ironcliff Guardian).

My first recommendation would be to switch heroes. Budget Abyssian and Cassyva in particular is hard to pull off, because after the Shadow Nova rework, all of the Abyssian finishers are Legendaries. For Cassyva that's Ghost Azalea and Obliterate.

Without those, there's really not a compelling reason to play her since cumulative Creep doesn't do anything except pump Juggernauts, which are pretty easy to deal with. Look at how few Abyssian cards you're actually playing, and of those Reaper is the only one that's a very good card (and has nothing to do with Cassyva).

If you're determined to stick with her though, I'd suggest:

-Save up for Azaleas and/or Obliterates. Top priority.

-Drop Shadow Nova. I think the new version kind of sucks even with Azalea/Obliterate and unequivocally without them. Literally almost any other card Abyssian or Neutral card would be better.

-Pick up Ooz, Sphere of Darkness, and the 2/1 that makes creep. Night Fiend looks decent to me on paper, but I have yet to see anyone actually use it, so I might be wrong.

Well gently caress. I also tried an aggro Vaath but was less successful.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Ok, so revisited Vaath and things went pretty decent with this:

Seemed like Plasma Storm was not a great fit and Sojourner not really needed or I just suck at using him.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, I'd swap how many Egg Morphs and Plasma Storms you have. The Storm's nice for screwing over weenie decks like most Abyssian and many Songhai decks, but you really don't need three of them. On the other hand, having three instant kills in your Egg Morphs to deal with big number baddies in the mid to end game will almost allways be useful.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is it a known glitch for grinchered items to not cost what they are supposed to? Just had a 3(1) cost item screw a turn and almost lose me a game. Turned it around but it was real close.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

That's how Grincher works. Draw an random artifact and it costs two less when you cast the artifact. Says so on the card. :shrug:

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Sorry, what I meant was that a normal 3 cost card, discounted to 1, played out of hand for 3.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Oh. I see. No, I've never seen that actually. Was it a new Shim'zar artifact or something? It wouldn't surprise me for them to have forgotten to adjust the new items costs for Grincher by mistake. After all we just spent most of a month being unable to cast Shadow Nova in Gauntlet.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Oh wow. No, it was the soul grimoire or whatever the Abyssian +2 deathwatch artifact is, no other effects that would have made it more expensive in play that I know of.

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

There are a few well known bugs with mana reducing effects that are gonna be hotfixed soon. It could have been one of those.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, I'd swap how many Egg Morphs and Plasma Storms you have. The Storm's nice for screwing over weenie decks like most Abyssian and many Songhai decks, but you really don't need three of them. On the other hand, having three instant kills in your Egg Morphs to deal with big number baddies in the mid to end game will almost allways be useful.
Yeah the problem is I only have the 1 of the Egg Morph card. :smith:

e: VV thanks, ended up getting a disenchantable orange so I'm full on eggs now :unsmith:
Also realized they're cheaper than i thought as I'd been looking at my copy which is prismatic.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 6, 2016

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Kekekela posted:

Yeah the problem is I only have the 1 of the Egg Morph card. :smith:

I'd run only 2 plasma storms regardless so they're more likely to show up at later in the match. If you don't have the Eggs you might want to try the grow minions instead.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
My overall impression of this update is not very good. For a game whose unique focus is board tactics adding a ton of cards that move randomly makes no sense at all to me. In addition to this they've added even more cards that have "random" effects. I thought the developers stated goal was to make a game that was more strategic and tactical than the other choices out there. Why are they continuing to move in the direction of increased randomness?

This update in general is pretty worrying to me as a big fan of the game. Despite a lot of my posts being complaints I really liked Duelyst. I've been playing for about 6-7 months now. This update has left me really unenthusiastic as to the future of the game though. I feel like the developers have either lost the ability to understand what makes their game appealing or they are purposefully moving their game in the direction of a different audience. Either way it feels like a losing situation in terms of my continued enjoyment of the game.

Quick question: In Gauntlet I got a version of Sarlaac the Eternal that is pure gold. What's the deal with this? Is this a new version of Rainbow cards?

Kronikle
Jan 31, 2005

Battle pet movement is very predictable and really not all that RNG based unless there are multiple enemies in attack range. For the most part when someone plays a battle pet against you, you can choose which minion it will target next turn by placing your minion down closest to that battle pet. I was pretty worried at the concept of battle pets to start with, but they've really grown on me and I think they add to the strategy of the game more than they detract. Ranged battle pets on the other hand are weird but it doesn't matter because no one plays those.

The gold Sarlac appearing in Gauntlet was I think a bug? It's supposed to be an exclusive Sarlac skin that you could only get if you went to PAX West.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Megasabin posted:

Why are they continuing to move in the direction of increased randomness?

Hearthstone makes 20 million/month and skill-intensive TCGs like Duel of Champions and Infinity Wars die off left and right. The people have spoken and the people want f2p mobile slot machines.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I think it's because most people can't be bothered to dedicate their lives to a game and prefer games that they still have chance at winning even if the enemy is an overall more skilled played.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

So this games dope as poo poo. Any news on when it'll be coming to Android?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

SweetBro posted:

I think it's because most people can't be bothered to dedicate their lives to a game and prefer games that they still have chance at winning even if the enemy is an overall more skilled played.

That already very much existed though.

CCGs by definition have some variance built in due to the nature of drawing cards from a deck. What CCGs don't need is a bunch lolrandom bullshit like L'Kian and Reaper that can and do singlehandedly swing the game, because then we might as well be playing [url="https:////en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_(card_game)"]War[/url].

There's also just plain different levels of play. Yes, it probably would not be fun for me to swim competitively against Michael Phelps and lose 100/100 matches. That doesn't stop me from swimming casually at my local gym though or make me insist that all competitive swimming now include random shark attacks so that I can have a chance at beating him.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 8, 2016

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress the RNG

I was just scrubbed out by a Magmar deck that played that poo poo-rear end Nature's Confluence and got 4 of the Dex pet with Celerity. I was otherwise hugely ahead. Boooooo, Duelyst, booooo.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

gently caress the RNG

I was just scrubbed out by a Magmar deck that played that poo poo-rear end Nature's Confluence and got 4 of the Dex pet with Celerity. I was otherwise hugely ahead. Boooooo, Duelyst, booooo.

I've had that go off and the guy get Roc which promptly did nothing for the rest of the game.

I personally don't mind randomness in the game. Strategies are a lot easier to plan for or against when you know what will always happen. I like the chance that something stupid will occur. The problem with a lot of strategy board games is that eventually everyone can do the same thing and as such if two people who know what they're doing sit down those games can take forever. Allowing for random variance is how board games that are mass produced keep from stale-mating. Chess is an exception because of its age but chess masters know when a game is won or lose in the first couple of moves. I don't think Duelyst would be as fun for a lot of people if all actions were predictable.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Dex is so heads and tails above all the other token pets it's hilarious.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So is Inquisitor Kron the new hotness to craft?

I really like the Vetruvian aesthetics and want to craft something decent for them, but the lists I see of them cost a lot of Spirit.

I have like 1800 saved up right now, do I go with Nimbus, Aymara Healer or Inquisitor Kron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

frajaq posted:

So is Inquisitor Kron the new hotness to craft?
I had like a 1000 dust in the bank and then plundered a few bad cards to craft 3 krons. That's my only shimzar craft so far and I'm not looking back. He's basically like the old twillight sorc in the sense that you can dunk him into 99% of your decks without thinking because he's just that good.

Vet is currently in a slap-fight with OTK songhai over who gets to be the top dog this month(source: managlow meta shot), so getting vet cards is a good investment too but as you said the whole list is kinda expensive to get running. But I can't imagine that OTK hai will live to next season so getting started on vet may be the smart long term plan because even with a nimbus nerf the class is in a strong spot

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 9, 2016

• Locked thread