Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Remember when Microsoft tried to charge people for access to their PC games with Games for Windows - Live? Not only did they drop that idea within a year but they refunded all 3 people who actually subscribed.

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Cyks posted:

Remember when Microsoft tried to charge people for access to their PC games with Games for Windows - Live? Not only did they drop that idea within a year but they refunded all 3 people who actually subscribed.

Good times.

yeah now only ubisoft and ea do it

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

What's it like paying hundreds of dollars for something which will be garbage in a few years?
:ironicat:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

What's it like paying hundreds of dollars for something which will be garbage in a few years? I'm impoverished because I don't throw my money onto horse poo poo?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cyks posted:

Good times.

loving Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection for Steam still asks me for this loving login info every time.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm kicking cigarettes so I may have made some extreme comments before through it and want to apologize for them. For the comments that I'm impoverished you've hit the nail on the head, check out my kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/impoorandwantaps5

Consoles are pretty poo poo though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

yeah now only ubisoft and ea do it

Steam not Microsoft saved PC Gaming.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Consoles are scrub-tier garbage for scrubs.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Sony killed lik-sang for clowning them over distribution while I still had an order for nintendogs (shiba & friends) in the processing phase and it never refunded, and for that I never forgave them

play-asia's alright, and I appreciate that their doax3 promo made goons unironically believe their lives were in danger if they ordered from them in the past

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

etalian posted:

Steam is literally the only reason I've spent money on games in the last 10 years. They somehow made it easier to pay for poo poo than to pirate it. Netflix ,etc. has been riding their business model hard.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I have a Sony mirrorless camera and its a pretty good product. Its also very expensive. Have you tried giving Sony more money? I think the more money you give them the better your experience will be.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
True, most of Sony hardware is quite nice, except the part when they gently caress it up with their Memory Sticks, not compatible controllers, remotes, chargers and so.
When an original part breaks down, most people will start to see how deep the cock in their butt leads. Owners of Apple and Olympus products might feel a little tickling down there as well.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pc gaming is the best because I can use cheats install mods to make the game easier for my stupid babby brain more immersive

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I only play console games on PC emulators because I'm a basement dwelling social cripple a pretty cool dude. Thanks for listening :wave:

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
i play strat games on pc and fps on console because quite honestly the thought of some human being playing with picmip 10 and brightness 1100 while i'm all max graphics and poo poo makes me sick

on console it's an even playing field of hand and foot artists

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Steam support is loving atrocious

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Otisburg posted:

I had a discman in the 90s and it was supposed to be skip resistant but even a slow walking pace made it skip like... A lot.

hosed up

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yogizh posted:

True, most of Sony hardware is quite nice, except the part when they gently caress it up with their Memory Sticks, not compatible controllers, remotes, chargers and so.
When an original part breaks down, most people will start to see how deep the cock in their butt leads. Owners of Apple and Olympus products might feel a little tickling down there as well.

I used to video tape weddings when I was younger and I lost the little piece of foam that goes over the microphone. I contacted Sony for a new one. $85 plus $15 shipping.

Oh and check out what they charge for a Vita memory card: https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Vita-Memory-Card-64GB-PCH-Z641J/dp/B00F27JGVA

I wonder why that console failed so horribly considering it relied so heavily on digital purchases? :iiam:

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I used to video tape weddings when I was younger and I lost the little piece of foam that goes over the microphone. I contacted Sony for a new one. $85 plus $15 shipping.

Oh and check out what they charge for a Vita memory card: https://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Vita-Memory-Card-64GB-PCH-Z641J/dp/B00F27JGVA

I wonder why that console failed so horribly considering it relied so heavily on digital purchases? :iiam:

drat, that price is like it was SSD or something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

yogizh posted:

drat, that price is like it was SSD or something.

An SSD that size is over 300% cheaper lol https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-9-5mm-Solid-CT064M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JKWG

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

It's kinda amazing that after all these years they still can't create a good looking and functional OS and user interfaces.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The only console ever worth getting is portable systems and even then if phones wouldn't loving suck with controls we wouldn't even need them

been playing pc since 2005 and never looking back

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

C-SPAN Caller posted:

been playing pc since 2005 and never looking back

not surprised you must be fused to your gaming chair by now

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

not surprised you must be fused to your gaming chair by now

nah i work a job where i have to go outside and play on my couch with a controller since my pc is my entertainment hub that connects to all the tvs in my apartment

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

nah i work a job where i have to go outside and play on my couch with a controller since my pc is my entertainment hub that connects to all the tvs in my apartment

Wtf using a controller while on a PC!?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Wtf using a controller while on a PC!?

its ok i play some games with a mouse and keyboard

on my COUCH

(mostly my chair tho)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I used a Dualshock 3 with my PS3 for 5 years without issue, but when I got my PS4 the Dual Shock 4's left trigger started sticking after a year. I decided to try and fix it but I can't because the screws corroded so much they can't be removed. When I got my second Dual Shock 4 I ordered a bag of replacement screws from Amazon, I've already had to replace them once and I'll have to do it again soon, it's been 3 months with this controller. I've never ever had this problem with any other device. I can't fathom how Sony is now using a shittier screw metal than literally every other major console controller since the NES, but here we are. The cherry on top of this poo poo sundae is that no one manufactures alternative screws for the controller, so I have no other option but to keep replacing the loving screws.

gently caress Sony.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

C-SPAN Caller posted:

okay you lied about playing PC for 11 years then :mad:

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Day Man posted:

Tell me your Sony horror stories

I work for them....

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

okay you lied about playing PC for 11 years then :mad:

sorry ill atone for my sins, quit my job, and become a hacker so i can play free playstation games from ops account

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bedevere posted:

I work for them....

Yo hook me up with a Vita memory card that isn't triple digits in price, when your supervisor asks who the discount is for say "a goon friend"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

C-SPAN Caller posted:

its ok i play some games with a mouse and keyboard

on my COUCH

(mostly my chair tho)

Just lmao if you don't have a small desk for your mouse and keyboard while gaming on the COUCH.

I also use a controller with pc games

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

Just lmao if you don't have a small desk for your mouse and keyboard while gaming on the COUCH.

I also use a controller with pc games

i keep wanting to buy one on etsy from this one lady but she keeps her store closed every month for some random reason

last month it was vacation, this month its dad cancer!!!

(I hope her dad is ok but man do I want those comfie looking lap desks)

Bedevere
Jun 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I don't work for pictures (thankfully) or any of the electronics people. In fact, I kind of got sold along with the hardware from my previous no longer existing employer. Sony paid well for the company, not so much for me.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Filthy Hans posted:

I used a Dualshock 3 with my PS3 for 5 years without issue, but when I got my PS4 the Dual Shock 4's left trigger started sticking after a year. I decided to try and fix it but I can't because the screws corroded so much they can't be removed. When I got my second Dual Shock 4 I ordered a bag of replacement screws from Amazon, I've already had to replace them once and I'll have to do it again soon, it's been 3 months with this controller. I've never ever had this problem with any other device. I can't fathom how Sony is now using a shittier screw metal than literally every other major console controller since the NES, but here we are. The cherry on top of this poo poo sundae is that no one manufactures alternative screws for the controller, so I have no other option but to keep replacing the loving screws.

gently caress Sony.

Lmao, how greasy are your hands??

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Day Man posted:

gently caress Sony

Someone apparently hacked into my account and deactivated my primary console. Sony refuses to deactivate the thief's console, so they get to play my games and use my account for 6 months. I've changed my password and enable 2 step authentication, they still refuse to do anything about it.

I've spent lots of money on games and a PS+ account over the years, I don't know why they would treat a well paying customer like this. This is totally ridiculous. My wife and daughter cannot play any of our digital games because of this. It's pretty much theft. I paid for those games and I pay a subscription, they need to fix this. It was easier to regain control of my bank account when my debit card number got stolen.

I'm never buying another Sony console, and I suggest everyone do the same.

Tell me your Sony horror stories

I can't really give any horror stories from sony in particular but I can say that back when I played world of warcraft my blizzard account got hacked by some Chinese person apparently and I had a bunch of new chinese characters, but I got my account back eventually.

I can just say, please make harder passwords you wouldn't BELIEVE how easy it is to get into peoples accounts if they have easy passwords, if you make a difficult password along with the password being salted by the site it'll be a lot harder to crack the account.

But if you just make a password like ' poop1 ' for example, your account could easily be accessed within 5 minutes.
Making a difficult password makes it SIGNIFICANTLY harder to get into an account.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Poodge posted:

I can't really give any horror stories from sony in particular but I can say that back when I played world of warcraft my blizzard account got hacked by some Chinese person apparently and I had a bunch of new chinese characters, but I got my account back eventually.

I can just say, please make harder passwords you wouldn't BELIEVE how easy it is to get into peoples accounts if they have easy passwords, if you make a difficult password along with the password being salted by the site it'll be a lot harder to crack the account.

But if you just make a password like ' poop1 ' for example, your account could easily be accessed within 5 minutes.
Making a difficult password makes it SIGNIFICANTLY harder to get into an account.

my password is correct horse battery staple

nobody would ever guess that!

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015

Quote-Unquote posted:

my password is correct horse battery staple

nobody would ever guess that!

Except a password penetration testing bot with a full english dictionary text file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

etalian posted:

no, DOTA and twitch saved PC gaming.

its a sad truth

• Locked thread