Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

:psyduck: Hairmeal?

Hey man, it's an important part of your pets' diet. Don't be so quick to disregard Stasi interest in disrupting pet food supplies to the Western world.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Upsetting.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Case of the Veteran's Day Parade

This episode will get no views because it is about an hour and twenty minutes long. I probably should have split it into two parts, but :effort:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm watching it now and I'm about 20 minutes in and laughing my rear end off as you slowly realize mafia doesn't have an x in it's name.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Clearly the Mafia thinks that going into hiding is for chumps. :colbert:

Also, aren't the "blank" safes just the game rolling up something you already have? You got both the Mafia Action Team and Master Plan really early, and I suspect that's why you had a bunch of empties while you were rounding up all the Mafia people.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Felinoid posted:

Also, aren't the "blank" safes just the game rolling up something you already have? You got both the Mafia Action Team and Master Plan really early, and I suspect that's why you had a bunch of empties while you were rounding up all the Mafia people.

Nope, floor safes can just randomly be empty. It doesn't "roll" for the contents of the safe until you actually photograph it, and anything you already have* isn't on the random table for that safe.

*Note that it can give you grenades of a type you've already maxed out on, and a Floor Plan even if you've already explored the building yourself.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Giving you floor plan safes again makes sense though, considering there are ways you can "forget" the layout during a case.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Case of the Train Station

Hey, this case isn't crazy long!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Other Case of the Veteran's Day Parade

Another long video, but again, :effort:

40 episodes in and I'm barely halfway done capturing masterminds.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

CirclMastr posted:

The Other Case of the Veteran's Day Parade

Another long video, but again, :effort:

That's half of the world's international spy/terrorism network severely disrupted. If there were three of you, you'd be unemployed!

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

It is going to be 40 or 50 more videos if you intend to get them all. It's taking you 3 or 4 cases per mastermind.

1st case: you know nothing, so no real chance.
2nd case: you have a name, which you can search...if you're not on Regional.
3rd case: snatching up a researched mastermind on National (or Regional if you got lucky searching it random places), or getting an organization that you can then go search the name at on Regional.
4th case: snatching up a researched mastermind on Regional.

Multiply that by 12 remaining and add a couple for the current mastermind, and you're looking at 38-50 more cases. You may not break 100 updates, but you'll be close. :v:

E: you can shrink this a bit by going hard after masterminds ASAP while bumping it back down to National, but even then you're still looking at 25 minimum, and you could potentially have some issues with the cases.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 3, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Felinoid posted:

E: you can shrink this a bit by going hard after masterminds ASAP while bumping it back down to National, but even then you're still looking at 25 minimum, and you could potentially have some issues with the cases.

It seems that people would prefer Regional; maybe that's not true anymore given videos that last over an hour. But it's more important to me that the updates are entertaining than I finish the game ASAP.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Fwiw I like the hour long updates because I watch em in the second monitor while I work and/or study.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah, I would actually love it if this LP took another 50 updates with videos averaging 45 minutes or more (and I'm honestly warming to Regional a bit). Covert Action is one game I just can't seem to get enough of. :)

I only mentioned it as an option because CirclMastr seemed to be bemoaning the length, and I wouldn't want him to burn himself out just for our entertainment. :shobon:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Same with me. It's pretty relaxing to run one of the episodes and hear CirclMastr's chronic frustration with the scarcity of floor safes throughout the world as I'm cooking/working.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Other Case of the Train Station

If I don't get a new LP going soon I may start updating this one three times a week.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

That was a hell of a smash-and-grab op. :allears:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Other, Other Case of the Fighter Pilot featuring Coolguye

The second guest I've had from the Dishonored LP, and also (I recently noticed) the first person in this thread other than myself! Now I just need Roboky to come aboard for a case.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, please don't stop doing this.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Dammit Coolguye, get your stuff together. Is she the black widow?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dammit Coolguye, get your stuff together. Is she the black widow?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Other, Other Case of the Airbase Plans featuring Coolguye

When people from the Dishonored LP show up, airbase plans are in jeopardy. I don't get it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that's because we FLLLYYYY HIIIIIGGGGHHHHH

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Other Case of the Physicist

Dr. Einstone never learns.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Just chiming in to say that I am enjoying the hell out of this LP as well, even got the game myself to give it a try and it's amazingly fun (although the action-minigame controls are pretty clunky). I wish I'd found out about it sooner!

Are there any tips you can summarise for new players? I've picked up a bunch from watching you, but what are the rules of thumb on how to maximise the number of enemy agents you arrest (who to nab first, when to wait)?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Crazy Achmed posted:

Just chiming in to say that I am enjoying the hell out of this LP as well, even got the game myself to give it a try and it's amazingly fun (although the action-minigame controls are pretty clunky). I wish I'd found out about it sooner!

Are there any tips you can summarise for new players? I've picked up a bunch from watching you, but what are the rules of thumb on how to maximise the number of enemy agents you arrest (who to nab first, when to wait)?

Once you start getting repeats of missions you'll figure out quickly which ones you can nab without stopping the plan. Organisers, 'initiated plan' and 'contacted parties' usually do their jobs really quickly so you can usually grab them without breaking the plot.

I usually try to get as much evidence on everyone as soon as possible and then wait for each person to do their part of the job before grabbing them, and then scrambling to arrest the last guy before he can actually pull off the plot.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 18, 2016

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Other Case of the Breeder Reactor

Real talk why is Tel Aviv part of the Central America map?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

each plot has one 'major agent' that actually performs the crime at hand. so like in the kidnapping crime, it's the black widow/kidnapper, for example. if you can turn that agent before they perform their job (or you confiscate the macguffin, forcing them to perform their job again), they will still be 'functional' but will never actually go perform their intended duty. this kills the plot while not tipping off the rest of the team, so unless they're scripted to go into hiding after doing their job once (like an organizer) you'll have all the time in the world to arrest or turn the entire crime ring.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Mossad agent Abdul Jones?

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Coolguye posted:

each plot has one 'major agent' that actually performs the crime at hand. so like in the kidnapping crime, it's the black widow/kidnapper, for example. if you can turn that agent before they perform their job (or you confiscate the macguffin, forcing them to perform their job again), they will still be 'functional' but will never actually go perform their intended duty. this kills the plot while not tipping off the rest of the team, so unless they're scripted to go into hiding after doing their job once (like an organizer) you'll have all the time in the world to arrest or turn the entire crime ring.

I will go to my grave being paranoid that any agent I arrest without turning will cause everyone else to go into hiding.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

I think London and Tel Aviv are just always a thing no matter what because MI6 and Mossad exist, and they want the HQs to always be in the game for... representation? I dunno. Same thing for Washington DC and the CIA, except that doesn't seem so weird because it's also your starting point.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

America has a hard-on for unilaterally supporting Israel at all times, thus your agent must always be ready for a trip to the Mediterranean in case Mossad gets a booboo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

America has a hard-on for unilaterally supporting Israel at all times, thus your agent must always be ready for a trip to the Mediterranean in case Mossad gets a booboo.

Unless you caused this booboo by walking into their offices and shooting their secretaries in the face

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Unless you caused this booboo by walking into their offices and shooting their secretaries in the face

Those were sleeping bullets! That's what the boss tells me...Oh god...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

And the frag grenades?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

bunnyofdoom posted:

And the frag grenades?

Sleep shrapnel, obviously.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Now that you have the mastermind's photo you don't have to bum around Tel Aviv, you can just look up what group they are in the manual like it were some type of rudimentary copy-protection. :downs:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

That sounds a lot like :effort:

(Also videos are recorded in batches in advance so I kinda already captured this mastermind.)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Now that you have the mastermind's photo you don't have to bum around Tel Aviv, you can just look up what group they are in the manual like it were some type of rudimentary copy-protection. :downs:

Dat headshot. I think I'm in love.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The Other, Other Case of the Physicist

Dr. Einstone get your poo poo together.

• Locked thread