Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Zoolooman posted:

Queues killed this game for me. Do people actually enjoy them? Do people play competitive?

zooloo i love you please send the puck pin :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't think anyone likes the new system, but so many people just shrugged and kept playing that valve doesn't really have a reason to walk it back

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CraigK posted:

JUST WANT MY TRUC

I hope he found his truc.... after all these years....

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
anyway i played comp once found multiple hacking snipers sighed and went back to yelling angryly about dota

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zoolooman posted:

Queues killed this game for me. Do people actually enjoy them? Do people play competitive?

I dunno about the latter, but there was a huge outcry against it when it launched. Unfortunately, because the people working on the game didn't want their work to go to waste, and that the people who didn't like it seemed to be a vocal minority, it never reverted back to the old system.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

CraigK posted:

zooloo i love you please send the puck pin :(

I should still have the physical pin somewhere. I'll look for it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just play with all your friends, jeez

Going in with a maxed-out group seems to alleviate the massive stomps/rampant cheating that you'd get with a 1-2 person queue, and lets you do stupid poo poo like this:

...and still get MVP for the round.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

before, i could have had the option to do that AND goof around by myself after work when i'm tired and just want to listen to music, with the added bonus of being able to easily hop somewhere else if blatant hackers were doing things

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Johnny Joestar posted:

before, i could have had the option to do that AND goof around by myself after work when i'm tired and just want to listen to music, with the added bonus of being able to easily hop somewhere else if blatant hackers were doing things

yeah this is pretty much it; tf2 was the fun "ooh i see three people from the LCs on a badlands server ima hop on and join them and screw around" thing, and now the matchmaking literally makes it a less fun and balanced overwatch or dota and this is dumb; tf2's the "i might have to pick up and leave in a half hour" game and dota is the "my schedules clear so lets game" game and it really sucked that valve kneecapped the poo poo out of the pick up and play aspect of tf2

Zoolooman posted:

I should still have the physical pin somewhere. I'll look for it.

thank you! i miss seeing you around and stuff <3

CraigK fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 10, 2016

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

A buddy of mine played like 2 tours of MvM and got an Australium so weve been playing that for like 3 weeks now. The wait has always been there for MvM so its not a big deal.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
My least favourite part is the fact I can't play with my Aussie buddies any more unless we hop into a community server. Trying to queue for casual when it's all Aussies with one person from the UK means it takes hours to find a game (if it even finds one at all). :( Please just dump us into an Australian server, I've been playing with these guys for the better part of two years now, 300 ping doesn't bother me it's okay

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Man I want to play on this hyper-idealized version of Valve pubs you guys are talking about. For me it was always impossible to pass a scramble vote after a stomp because the winning team would vote it down, it only happened apparently at random during the middle of gameplay

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

IMO they gimped comp right out of the gate by making it a 10 dollar buy-in, even before poor word of mouth on queue times and team quality how many dudes want to pay 10 bux for 6v6 tf2

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Man I want to play on this hyper-idealized version of Valve pubs you guys are talking about. For me it was always impossible to pass a scramble vote after a stomp because the winning team would vote it down, it only happened apparently at random during the middle of gameplay

There was also autoscramble.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I actually like casual matchmaking because I basically get to choose my own map rotation. I mean I do run into problems with steamrolls, but that was pretty much the norm even on critsandvich or any community server, let alone quickplay.

I guess I sort of miss autoscrambles, but they were never a guarantee of creating balance. Sometimes things got worse post-scramble.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Reiley posted:

Goonlanders are a thing to be remembered, or misremembered. It was hard enough to herd those cats when the community was active, I think they live only in memory now.

True enough, in the cold light of day.

I don't really want to gently caress around with Battle.net and MOBAs are a pile of toxic poo poo so RIP my multiplayer gaming, I guess. Sigh.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Yeah, RIP

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Overwatch isn't that bad, it basically just takes all the tf2 class gimmicks and makes each one their own character. So instead of one class that can bounce nades around corners and set traps -or- charge into poo poo with a sword (and be a useless turd) you instead have two classes for that.

Thats not to say TF2 doesn't have qualities that are still great and make me keep playing; Spy and Pyro are incredibly fun and dont really have OW counterparts, and Payload is still my favorite FPS game mode.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Is Quake Champions looking any good?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Thats not to say TF2 doesn't have qualities that are still great and make me keep playing; Spy and Pyro are incredibly fun and dont really have OW counterparts, and Payload is still my favorite FPS game mode.

Payload never really worked for 6s but HL stopwatch payload is a pretty cool comp mode imo. It gives Heavies a role to play without making them OP (or useless), and I like the "this is as far as we could get, see if you can do better" dynamic.

CP and Payload are The Good TF2 Formats.

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

CraigK posted:

REMEMBER HOW TF2 HAD AN EIGHT YEAR HEAD START ON OVERWATCH AND STILL MANAGED TO GET ITS COMP MODE OUT AFTER OVERWATCH

all valve needs to do is add money and better anticheat methods+staff

esports make companies a lot of money.. especially to new titles like OW but low effort maintaining the playerbase with gimmicks like skin updates plus maps ripped from the community is probably a lot more profitable for tf2..

So yeah we will probably never see that sort of developer involved esport revival that would bring tf2 "back to life"

but hey if you miss highlander/6s/4s/ulti duo pugs then there is a constant stream of them over at https://www.tf2center.com

crabf
May 29, 2015
tf2center doesn't let you play if you have adblock installed at all though

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

valve doesn't even have to worry about making esports money because they literally own one of the biggest esports properties in existence already

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some of TF2s problems are down to lack of effort spent maintaining it, but ultimately it uses a very outdated engine and has some pretty fundamental problems. I can understand them not wanting to push it as an eSport.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I just wanna go back to playing gravelpit and foundry again, is that too much to ask?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Where is Hydro

bring out Hydro

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CraigK posted:

in the far flung future, someone will ask me, "craigk, what were the lost continents like"

and i will say

with one voice

"I loving DROPPED IT AGAIN"

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

I can forgive a lot of TF2's problems because hey, they gave the pyro a niche (that isn't "this weapon is overpowered and rewards the playstyle that ignores airblasting")

thank u gabe

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

crabf posted:

tf2center doesn't let you play if you have adblock installed at all though

MixChamp is a viable alternative if you're only interested in 6s.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Johnny Joestar posted:

valve doesn't even have to worry about making esports money because they literally own one of the biggest esports properties in existence already

They actually own two, CS and DOTA. At least TF isn't as forgotten as L4D, DOD, or that other game Valve made.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Valve making games is so last decade.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Peanut President posted:

They actually own two, CS and DOTA. At least TF isn't as forgotten as L4D, DOD, or that other game Valve made.

I remember when L4D 2 came our barely a year after the original and everyone was mad

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Most fun I ever had in TF2 was that goon PUG group a few years ago. That was good stuff.

Apparently if I want to play shootmans with goons these days, I have to learn to like Overwatch. But every time I've tried it, I can't get over how spammy it feels. Junkrat seems like he'd be my jam but it feels wrong not having any reason to let go of M1. I always loved darting around as Scout but the scattergun was like 80% of that, I can't stand Tracer's automatic water pistols and Reaper's guns fire too fast too. I had my favorite flavor of FPS I guess and don't like change.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Peanut President posted:

I think L4D had a pretty good run all things considered, it was never going to be a huge long running eSports phenominon, but it was a commercial and cultural success that will probabably get a decent sequel at some point.

There's been leaks and rumours of L4D3 for a while, in fact, but Valve Time is Valve Time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Why the hell do people queue for casual mode and then complain about people playing the objective?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ditocoaf posted:

Apparently if I want to play shootmans with goons these days, I have to learn to like Overwatch.

Overwatch feels like it was designed ground-up as an e-sport, with very little attention paid to whether it was any fun or not. I find that liking DOTA/LoL is an excellent predictor for whether someone is going to like Overwatch.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MrYenko posted:

Overwatch feels like it was designed ground-up as an e-sport, with very little attention paid to whether it was any fun or not. I find that liking DOTA/LoL is an excellent predictor for whether someone is going to like Overwatch.

As someone who likes DOTA and would rather cut my own throat than play Overwatch again I'm offended.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Peanut President posted:

As someone who likes DOTA and would rather cut my own throat than play Overwatch again I'm offended.

As someone who likes Overwatch and would rather cut my own throat than play DOTA again I too am offended.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godamnit people, stop ruining my overarching generalizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

nielsm posted:

Why the hell do people queue for casual mode and then complain about people playing the objective?

12 year olds haven't discovered community 24/7 hightower servers yet

• Locked thread