Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do wish nVidia would confirm/deny a mobile 1050 part. I've got a friend who needs to upgrade her laptop to something that will run games with all the bells and whistles at 1080p...and I can't with good reservation recommend a 960M to her due to its age and processing anemia, and 965Ms are too rare. I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the 1050 only have 768 CUDA cores, either - but it's got to be faster than the 960M.

I can't imagine any world where the 1050 will be slower than the 960m. The 960m is equivalent to the 750ti I believe. I too am wilting to see how a mobile 1050 looks before purchasing another laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
OK, it's time to decide what to do with Step Up with my 980 Ti (Classified). Whatever my fastest configuration is will go into my gaming PC. I also have a mITX PC for my Vive (and TV) that gets the leftovers (currently a 780 Ti).

It would cost me $45 to step up to a 1070 and $235 to step up to a 1080, including shipping. Both would be the basic ACX models.

My main drive to upgrade my 980 Ti is that I cannot fit a large Classified cooler into the Vive PC, so I cannot trickle that hardware down. The 780 Ti is also not the most power-efficient card ever, but that's not the end of the world since I don't really load it up hard all that often. I do run the 980 Ti pretty often and it would be nice to have somewhat lower power draw there, but it's not really that critical there either.

The other nice thing about the 10-series is they have hardware x265 support which would be nice in my TV PC (although I'm doing fine with CPU decode at the moment). If I don't trickle down hardware from my desktop I'd probably be looking at a 1060 or something.

I have a XB270HU 144Hz/1440p/GSync monitor already and I'm reasonably satisfied with my framerates on my 980 Ti, so I don't see an enormous need for the extra 20% performance of the 1080. On the other hand the 1070 might frankly be a small step down in performance from a high-end 980 Ti. There's also the irrational factors that EVGA's 1070 pricing is much farther from MSRP than their 1080 pricing, even though I know that sunk costs are sunk and you need to look forward.

I feel like the responsible move would be to take the 1070 and put the extra $190 towards a 1070 SLI or 980 Ti SLI or ultrawide or something. But it's hard to bring myself to go without my card for a couple weeks if I'm not at least getting something out of it. More money on toys here is less money on toys elsewhere, but it's not going to kill me either way.

Which should I do, 1070 or 1080?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 10, 2016

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That is tough. A 1070 would be roughly the same with some VR and a few other new features baked in as well as some power savings.

But is the 1080 really worth another $200+ in performance?..... Maybe if you play Elite, Project Cars, etc in VR.

I however am stupid (for getting a 980Ti in May of all things) and would rather have a 1080(Ti)/TitanX to make sure everything runs perfect all the time if possible.

Heck I am even seriously interested in the Predator 21X from Acer because outside of its pretty light grasp with the word "portability" I could literally haul that thing anywhere and play Overwatch on it while someone plays VR anything on the Vive at the same dang time. Would be great at LAN's. :shepspends:

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 10, 2016

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It seems to me that in a VR application, that if you're reasonably satisfied with the 980Ti, most of what you get is the updated feature set oriented towards VR with the 1070. $45 might be worth it for things like Ansel and so forth. You get all those features AND 20% more performance with the 1080 for the $190 delta.

Looking forward, even though a 1080Ti is unlikely, it's a possibility with Vega looming as well. I know the pricing doesn't make a ton of sense for one, but being ready to strike with a new piece of shiny is something Nvidia have done with AMD releases (IIRC the 290 situation a while back that prompted the relative surprise of the 980Ti). The 980's used price once the full generation was out there has more or less made it worthless relative to the 970/980Ti. The 1070 would likely hold value better later on. Or if you're really really into SLI, you'd be able to pick a used one up for pennies to get you through the pricing bubble on the 11/12 series of GPUs.

I don't have an answer, but hopefully this helps you kind of frame your decision making thoughts in a constructive way.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

B-Mac posted:

I can't imagine any world where the 1050 will be slower than the 960m. The 960m is equivalent to the 750ti I believe. I too am wilting to see how a mobile 1050 looks before purchasing another laptop.
the 960m *is* a desktop 750ti

the 750ti has been rebranded into 6 laptop skus with the original 750 having been rebranded into four, it's pretty nuts how many chips of that are around

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I hadn't thought about the resale pricing but that's a good point, the 980 took a way harder dent than the 970 did.

I don't think I'd ever SLI a 1080 but I could see myself doing SLI 1070 until a 1080 Ti/1180 came around, and that would be better performance than the 1080 in games that support it. And an extra $190 is halfway to another 1070 for SLI.

The other thing I forgot about is Pascal is doing way better in DX12 than Maxwell, which should also help the card in the longer term.

Guess I'll go for the 1070 then. Thanks.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 10, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

I however am stupid (for getting a 980Ti in May of all things) and would rather have a 1080(Ti)/TitanX to make sure everything runs perfect all the time if possible.

I got one in June so whatever. Between the firesales on 980 Tis and the super limited stock on Pascal when it launched it was a pretty solid move. Some people legitimately got 980 Tis for $300-350, or even lower (Microcenter has been clearing them out recently) Realistically DX12 games are not here yet and if you don't play VR then an overclocked 980 Ti is otherwise just as good if not better than a 1070. Pascal is basically die-shrunk Maxwell so Maxwell will do fine on optimizations through this generation. Honestly the 980 Ti was probably the best long-term bargain since the 290 released, all things considered.

I figure it'll cost me $15 to ship in, EVGA wanted $11 to ship it back, and their prices are no worse than the feeding-frenzy prices when the 1070 launched (they just haven't dropped the price since). So basically I paid a $25 premium to not have to obsess about finding one in stock, plus I'll have to use a backup card for a week or two. Would have been nice if a 1080 Ti had been released but oh well.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 10, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Any reason why a 1060 equiped laptop is not being considered? That would do what you're friend needs it to and there are some pretty light and slim models.

Too expensive at the moment. Right now the only laptops using the mobile 1060 part are $1300+ - she wants to go no higher than ~$800, which is where I'd imagine a 1050 will fall.

The mobile 1060 isn't liable to get any cheaper, either - since right now the biggest OEM using it is Alienware. It won't be until it hits an XPS or 'gaming' Inspiron SKU that we'll see it hit the $999-1099 range.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 10, 2016

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Oh, can I finally have my 144 Hz monitor at normal refresh without a 1070 clocking up? How about multi-monitor with 60 Hz on the second?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Too expensive at the moment. Right now the only laptops using the mobile 1060 part are $1300+ - she wants to go no higher than ~$800, which is where I'd imagine a 1050 will fall.

The mobile 1060 isn't liable to get any cheaper, either - since right now the biggest OEM using it is Alienware. It won't be until it hits an XPS or 'gaming' Inspiron SKU that we'll see it hit the $999-1099 range.

Is Alienware bigger than Asus or MSI? I thought MSI had the largest global market share of gaming laptops.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Ynglaur posted:

Is Alienware bigger than Asus or MSI? I thought MSI had the largest global market share of gaming laptops.

Alienware is a part of Dell, who I imagine sells a lot of laptops.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I got one in June so whatever. Between the firesales on 980 Tis and the super limited stock on Pascal when it launched it was a pretty solid move. Some people legitimately got 980 Tis for $300-350, or even lower (Microcenter has been clearing them out recently) Realistically DX12 games are not here yet and if you don't play VR then an overclocked 980 Ti is otherwise just as good if not better than a 1070. Pascal is basically die-shrunk Maxwell so Maxwell will do fine on optimizations through this generation. Honestly the 980 Ti was probably the best long-term bargain since the 290 released, all things considered.

I figure it'll cost me $15 to ship in, EVGA wanted $11 to ship it back, and their prices are no worse than the feeding-frenzy prices when the 1070 launched (they just haven't dropped the price since). So basically I paid a $25 premium to not have to obsess about finding one in stock, plus I'll have to use a backup card for a week or two. Would have been nice if a 1080 Ti had been released but oh well.

Yea but you went in with the eVGA backup plan, I got an Open Box ASUS STRIX from Frys (mainly because my 780's in SLI weren't going to cut it for what I was doing with both VR headsets arriving the first week of June).

Not too bummed as this Strix is a pretty badass piece of kit, but I do sort of wish I could have waited or returned it within the month timeframe I had originally planned for. Ugh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

Alienware is many, many, many times bigger than Asus and MSI with regards to notebooks sold in North America, but Alienware also subcontracts their chassis from Clevo et al, despite all the special 'flourishes' they feature that aren't present in Clevo's 'standard' chassis. It won't be until 1060s start filtering out into higher-end Inspirons and HP Envy notebooks that they'll start to hit the more accessible $999-1099 range. And usually that'll come with a caveat like a 5400rpm 1TB (with 8GB NAND cache!) main HDDs and lovely wobbly chicklet keyboards combined with horrid trackpads.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 10, 2016

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
What I've learned from this thread: somebody could make a killing from a videocard leasing program.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

What I've learned from this thread: somebody could make a killing from a videocard leasing program.

Someone did - their pricing is/was insane. You were actually paying just as much (or more) than buying it outright. Leasing a video card is nonsensical, because someone has a vested interest in not constantly flooring a leased *car* around, burning out the engine or wrecking it...whereas that's *exactly* what you'd expect someone leasing a video card to do...run it at the absolute highest clock the card would take, and not giving a holy gently caress about its longevity. In order to make it work you'd have to insist on the customer installing software that'd allow the card's actual *owner* to monitor the customer's use of *their property*.

Also a video card isn't a car or couch - a repo man would likely just grab or destroy your tower to get at the GPU he's been tasked to collect.

Literally the only way you could make money is to drastically overcharge or find a way to take insurance out on every card and have 'accidents' with the most valuable ones every so often for cash influx.

Here, have a good laugh: https://cuttingedgegamer.com/ (tl;dr: "pay me $624 to 'borrow' an MSI 1070 from me for a year, then pay me more if you choose to keep it.")

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 10, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TechReport reminding us that average FPS doesn't tell the whole story - AMDs DXMD frame pacing goes to poo poo when you switch from DX11 to DX12.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Here, have a good laugh: https://cuttingedgegamer.com/ (tl;dr: "pay me $624 to 'borrow' an MSI 1070 from me for a year, then pay me more if you choose to keep it.")

For 2 months worth of Fury-X lease you can outright buy a Fury.
E: after 4 months you could have crossfire fury's. After a year you could have a new PC with 3 way crossfire fury's. Or rent a Fury-X for a year.

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 10, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

repiv posted:

TechReport reminding us that average FPS doesn't tell the whole story - AMDs DXMD frame pacing goes to poo poo when you switch from DX11 to DX12.

There was some discussion a couple of pages back that seemed to point to the Fury's smaller 4GB of RAM as being responsible for periodic slow frames.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Naffer posted:

There was some discussion a couple of pages back that seemed to point to the Fury's smaller 4GB of RAM as being responsible for periodic slow frames.

They show the RX480 8GB taking a smoothness hit from DX12 as well. It's not as bad as the Fury, but it's still hitting 70-80ms peaks every second or so :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pascal cards have an HEVC hardware decoder, right? Does that mean you can watch Netflix 4K streams on the PC? I think I remember reading something about that being the reason why they didn't allow it before

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's still no 4k streaming anything on PC except for YouTube. Only news lately is Sony's ULTRA service will come to Kaby Lake powered PCs next year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pascal cards have an HEVC hardware decoder, right? Does that mean you can watch Netflix 4K streams on the PC? I think I remember reading something about that being the reason why they didn't allow it before

DRM is the reason. There's some new hardware level DRM that's required to be able to play back legal 4K content sources. GPUs don't have it except for Intel's upcoming kaby lake iGPU.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

repiv posted:

They show the RX480 8GB taking a smoothness hit from DX12 as well. It's not as bad as the Fury, but it's still hitting 70-80ms peaks every second or so :shrug:

Bub but something something amd dx12 supremecy will allow them to outperform more powerful nvidia cardssssssss :(

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't matter Titan XP is the best since it can do sub-6 ms frame times even in VR.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

repiv posted:

Huh. Think that's driver fixable? That's pretty lame.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

repiv posted:

Mankind Divided's current DX12 support is part of a beta patch. Not that I'm saying a more polished release will fix everything, but maybe it's just a problem/bug with the way their DX12 render path works right now. They also posted this as part of the patch announcement:

quote:

Known DirectX 12 issue:
- There is a known bug that causes some very high end cards to regress relative to DirectX 11. This bug is being addressed by the development team.

Still, it doesn't negate the point that average frame rate alone doesn't tell you everything about performance.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

970 owners can claim their :20bux::10bux: now: https://www.gtx970settlement.com

(US only)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

repiv posted:

(US only)

So how does this work now for those that already got 20% back from Amazon?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Alienware is many, many, many times bigger than Asus and MSI with regards to notebooks sold in North America, but Alienware also subcontracts their chassis from Clevo et al, despite all the special 'flourishes' they feature that aren't present in Clevo's 'standard' chassis. It won't be until 1060s start filtering out into higher-end Inspirons and HP Envy notebooks that they'll start to hit the more accessible $999-1099 range. And usually that'll come with a caveat like a 5400rpm 1TB (with 8GB NAND cache!) main HDDs and lovely wobbly chicklet keyboards combined with horrid trackpads.

They haven't subcontracted from Clevo in a long time. Alienware is wholly owned by Dell and designed by Dell since ~2009.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

fletcher posted:

So how does this work now for those that already got 20% back from Amazon?

Unrelated

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

👎

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

As I posted earlier, everything goes down on dx12 at the moment in that game, including average frame rates. DX12 support is very beta.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Does it matter if I DDU before every Catalyst update? Surely the upgrade button works just as well

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
It's nowhere near as necessary as it used to be, and most people have no troubles simply upgrading in-place. If you do end up with issues though, that's always a good first step to trying to fix 'em.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I tried to open GFE today but it said it must update to 3.0. Oh well I thought that making some lovely hotmail account for it can't be too bad, but the problem solved itself when GFE uninstalled itself and said it can't install the new version :toot: I guess it's better it ended this way.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

OK, it's time to decide what to do with Step Up with my 980 Ti (Classified). Whatever my fastest configuration is will go into my gaming PC. I also have a mITX PC for my Vive (and TV) that gets the leftovers (currently a 780 Ti).

It would cost me $45 to step up to a 1070 and $235 to step up to a 1080, including shipping. Both would be the basic ACX models.

My main drive to upgrade my 980 Ti is that I cannot fit a large Classified cooler into the Vive PC, so I cannot trickle that hardware down. The 780 Ti is also not the most power-efficient card ever, but that's not the end of the world since I don't really load it up hard all that often. I do run the 980 Ti pretty often and it would be nice to have somewhat lower power draw there, but it's not really that critical there either.

The other nice thing about the 10-series is they have hardware x265 support which would be nice in my TV PC (although I'm doing fine with CPU decode at the moment). If I don't trickle down hardware from my desktop I'd probably be looking at a 1060 or something.

I have a XB270HU 144Hz/1440p/GSync monitor already and I'm reasonably satisfied with my framerates on my 980 Ti, so I don't see an enormous need for the extra 20% performance of the 1080. On the other hand the 1070 might frankly be a small step down in performance from a high-end 980 Ti. There's also the irrational factors that EVGA's 1070 pricing is much farther from MSRP than their 1080 pricing, even though I know that sunk costs are sunk and you need to look forward.

I feel like the responsible move would be to take the 1070 and put the extra $190 towards a 1070 SLI or 980 Ti SLI or ultrawide or something. But it's hard to bring myself to go without my card for a couple weeks if I'm not at least getting something out of it. More money on toys here is less money on toys elsewhere, but it's not going to kill me either way.

1080 lol. This is tough but id feel weird paying more for a 1070

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Go for the 1080 man. One big GPU is always preferable to more smaller, and the outright hardware differences between 1070 and 1080 are pretty big this generation.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

repiv posted:

(US only)

Is this the only route in which to do this correct?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

OhFunny posted:

Is this the only route in which to do this correct?
"You may file your Claim Form online or you may generate a personalized Claim Form to print and mail using this website."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

new to this thread...and angry.

My Win10 was hanging a shitload today. Spent an angry few minutes and diagnosed the problem to be my Gigabyte gtx 780. Ripped it out, hooked up my monitor to the integrated video and it's all good.

In my angry craze I've added an EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW to my Amazon cart. Before I angry click purchase, does anyone own this card and can tell me how it is? Online reviews are all pretty solid and highly recommend it, but I value goon input.