Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cross posting from FB

About 25 minutes ago I walked into Menards. I did not find the item I was after so I pulled out my phone to check for the other option and my phone turned off. It then began quickly grow hot to the touch. This kind of wigged me out so I quickly exited the building. My phone is a Nexus 5X, not an exploding Samsung.
Then, when I went to enter my car, the keyless touch pad didn't work. I had to pull the physical key out and the fob was also incredibly hot. I could not reactivate my phone until I was a good distance from the building and the battery in the remote was new 4 weeks ago.

The key fob was so hot I couldn't pry the battery out then and there. My phone was so hot I couldn't keep it in my pocket. When the phone came back on my battery was down to 5% and the battery in the key is drained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I saw a documentary about that once, it was called "Better Call Saul"

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

No pectic enzyme, but that's a good idea.

I intend to use potassium sorbate when I transfer to the carboy to kill off any remaining yeasts. I figure that, combined with transferring from the primary vessel (leaving most yeast sediment behind), combined with leaving it in the secondary carboy for several weeks before adding the sweetening, should be enough to prevent any explosions.

Currently sipping some ~8% still cider I made with a friend last year. We used stevia to back sweeten and it works pretty well. I think some people don't like the taste but I don't taste it. We also used it in the ginger beer. That would avoid the explosion problem. We've only had a couple and have been brewing for a few years now. There are a ton of online resources to figure out priming. What yeast are you using?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Cross posting from FB

About 25 minutes ago I walked into Menards. I did not find the item I was after so I pulled out my phone to check for the other option and my phone turned off. It then began quickly grow hot to the touch. This kind of wigged me out so I quickly exited the building. My phone is a Nexus 5X, not an exploding Samsung.
Then, when I went to enter my car, the keyless touch pad didn't work. I had to pull the physical key out and the fob was also incredibly hot. I could not reactivate my phone until I was a good distance from the building and the battery in the remote was new 4 weeks ago.

The key fob was so hot I couldn't pry the battery out then and there. My phone was so hot I couldn't keep it in my pocket. When the phone came back on my battery was down to 5% and the battery in the key is drained.

I'm not saying Menards is run by aliens but........:tinfoil:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I'm not saying Menards is run by aliens but........:tinfoil:

I forgot my tinfoil hat at home today.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

I forgot my tinfoil hat at home today.

Surprised they didn't have any to purchase!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Deeters posted:

and a fairly realistic Ferrari sponsored game.

Was it like Ferrari Challenge or something, and had a 6 speed gated shifter with a clutch pedal? There was a lovely "teen" place by me that lasted for like a year that pretty much had a basketball court, dodgeball, a handful of lame prize games, and the random Ferrari game off in the corner. That game owned so hard.

Now I'm just sitting here thinking about all of the vacant store fronts from failed Vape and Boost Mobile shops by me, and how cool it would be to open an arcade.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Timmy Cruise posted:

Currently sipping some ~8% still cider I made with a friend last year. We used stevia to back sweeten and it works pretty well. I think some people don't like the taste but I don't taste it. We also used it in the ginger beer. That would avoid the explosion problem. We've only had a couple and have been brewing for a few years now. There are a ton of online resources to figure out priming. What yeast are you using?

I'm using Safale S-04 ale yeast.

Thinking about something like stevia but I'm pretty sure my wife dislikes the flavor.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

Thinking about something like stevia but I'm pretty sure my wife dislikes the flavor.

Back sweeten with bourbon. Bourbon fixes everything

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm shopping on Croooober and drinking the Suntory Toki my friend gifted me for my birthday. This can only end with CC debt.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

We usually use champagne yeast but it looks like the one you picked works pretty well.

This guy did a shitload of experimenting:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=139034

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

T-Square posted:

Was it like Ferrari Challenge or something, and had a 6 speed gated shifter with a clutch pedal? There was a lovely "teen" place by me that lasted for like a year that pretty much had a basketball court, dodgeball, a handful of lame prize games, and the random Ferrari game off in the corner. That game owned so hard.

Now I'm just sitting here thinking about all of the vacant store fronts from failed Vape and Boost Mobile shops by me, and how cool it would be to open an arcade.

I hit that point all the time, but I just don't know how to make it profitable. The sole and only arcades that survive here are one Chuck. E. Cheese and a bar downtown that has some pinball and standups but is a bit of a dive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a Barcade in Indianapolis that was pretty neat when we were down there but by all reports it is massively hemorrhaging money because the games are free play and hipsters don't pay for poo poo unless they're forced to.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Update:

Dave and busters sucked

I spent like $120 :psyduck:

E: also, the project binky blog talks about issues they're having. Turns out the exhaust and alternator will occupy the same space, so they're going to put the alternator where the distributor lived, and run it with a jackshaft. Of course, because of this, they've taken up the distributor space, which means moving to coil on plug.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 12, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
For us Arduino/Electronic geeks: Espressif released the ESP32, the follow up to the ESP8266, on the 5th.

Now with Bluetooth LE and Wifi for $5

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

For us Arduino/Electronic geeks: Espressif released the ESP32, the follow up to the ESP8266, on the 5th.

Now with Bluetooth LE and Wifi for $5

It sounds pretty dope but as always Espressif doesn't bother to document the crazy poo poo it has like apparently its built-in CANbus?

I'll wait a few weeks until I've dug out from my pile of other electronic garbage.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Geirskogul posted:

Update:

Dave and busters sucked

I spent like $120 :psyduck:

E: also, the project binky blog talks about issues they're having. Turns out the exhaust and alternator will occupy the same space, so they're going to put the alternator where the distributor lived, and run it with a jackshaft. Of course, because of this, they've taken up the distributor space, which means moving to coil on plug.

They are SO dedicated to that whole "Keep it inside the original dimensions of a mini" part of the project its insane. They're also running a new turbo on the thing because the CT26 turbo thats on the 3S-GTE engine is a loving monster of a thing that looks big on a 4.2L diesel 6 cylinder!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Cross posting from FB

Happy 9/11

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CharlesM posted:

Happy 9/11

So my roommate was watching the Cowboys football game today. When Bush walked out to do the coin toss, my roommate just went apeshit about how Bush blew up the towers, how he hopes there's a sniper in the crowd (WHAT THE gently caress?!), and accusing me of being "a loving conservative Bush lover" when I said "WTF?!". He wouldn't shut the gently caress up until I told him to start packing his poo poo or close his mouth. He still kept trying to argue :tinfoil: poo poo for over an hour.

I'm a dirty liberal (especially by TX standards), and never liked either Bush, but I don't wish death on anybody. That's so many kinds of hosed up. And his rear end is getting booted, I don't need that poo poo here (and was already looking for a reason to boot him anyway).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I don't wish death upon anybody ever (even people who pass on the right).

But because I don't wish it doesn't mean I don't plan for it. At least 75% of my time during Nov 4 2008 was spent waiting for a racist-fueled headshot :ohdear:. Not planning for it, but steeling myself against the craziness.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Geirskogul posted:

I don't wish death upon anybody ever (even people who pass on the right).

But because I don't wish it doesn't mean I don't plan for it. At least 75% of my time during Nov 4 2008 was spent waiting for a racist-fueled headshot :ohdear:. Not planning for it, but steeling myself against the craziness.

I'm going to be fascinated in another 20 years when the Secret Service guys in now start to retire and some stuff gets declassified. Just to see how close we came to that happening.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh god don't even tease about that. Declassified stuff is what I dream about, and I assure you that, right now, at least ten people with very interesting (and, in at least two cases, deeply intersecting) stories are rotting away in some prison that isn't Guantanamo*, waiting for their almost-assassination story to be published.

*I say "not Guantanamo, because I was chief field medic there, and nothing of any seriousness is kept there. Honestly, it's an "if I told you..." scenario, in the most boring way possible.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

blk posted:

Awesome, what is it?

I'm going to be doing translation for a certain game studio. Unfortunately they're only going to subcontract me part time for the moment with a potential full-time position in the future but it's a good result given that I pretty much cold called them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drag week is starting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzmetUWCbVs

350 cars this year, should be amazing. last year there were naturally aspirated full interior cars planting the rear bumper.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Powershift posted:

Drag week is starting

:bigtran:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it. I found out yesterday that my best friend from high school's husband was in critical condition from a sever blow to the head. Woke up today to see that he'd died. She and I were not that close these days but it's like a punch in the gut knowing she's in so much pan.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

We moved into my house and everything is good but my fridge isn't getting cold all of a sudden

Cleaned the condenser and got a number for a guy that will hopefully be able to refill the freon though worst case scenario it is from like 1999 and fridges aren't $2000 anymore so at least it won't be a complete shitshow

Edit: having a garage kicks rear end

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Insulation, insulation, insulation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Edit: having a garage kicks rear end

Oh man! Garage Time is the Best Time.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

leica posted:

Dude was sitting down eating a big mac like nothing happened playing dumb.

So basically he was just trying to Florida his way out of it?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Insulation, insulation, insulation.

That is on my todo list

along with covering that wall in pegboard

#goals

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

That is on my todo list

along with covering that wall in pegboard

#goals

Good man. Set your goals higher, though... get slatwall.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
My pegboard got replaced by a rolling tool chest setup. Got sick of having the peg hooks fall out of the board whenever I grabbed a tool off of the wall.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Hang in there buddy. I don't wish away the newborn phase but at like ~9 months they just become such a hoot! Terrible twos didn't exist with my daughter but three sucked. Now that she's four it was like a light switch for her being a total sweetheart. My son at two is a turd.

iPhone chat I'm gonna go buy the iPhone SE to replace my now two year old 6. I've owned the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, and 6. My favorite hardware device hands down was the 4S. That was a masterpiece of glass and stainless steel. It wasn't so thin that sir Jony Ive was stroking himself at the thought. I loved the heft of it. When I went to the 5 it just felt cheaper. The iPhone was my gateway into apple products as we now have 3 iPads, Apple TV(s), and a 5K iMac. I'm not even mad.

Throw a Rokform case on that SE, and it'll bulk it up a bit, but not too much, plus give you really good protection, and an optional magnet built in to the back. I've got one on my 5, and had one on my 4S. Plenty of drops with nary a scratch on the phone.

I'd also like the address the "one-button" mouse thing: The Mighty Mouse and later mice, while technically having only the one physical button, aren't actually been one-button, if you aren't a numpty and set the button preferences. They have sensors for finger position under the shell to determine which finger you're clicking with. The Magic Mouse is fantastic, especially since it's finally rechargeable (though the choice of position for the charging port is stupid.) Also, the roller ball on the Mighty mouse, while initially great, gets dirty and oily pretty quick, and ceases to function, so gently caress that thing. Not as bad as the old hockey pucks, but almost. The standard configs usually come with the Magic Mouse now.
Personally, I sue either a Magic Mouse, or a standard 2-button PC mouse. Almost any USB mouse will work on a Mac.

nm posted:

I don't think so. Every android phone I've owned or used has a plastic or metal rim around the edge that rises slightly above the screen. Does a surprisingly excellent job protecting the screen from drops. My current s5 has a really hosed up edge from drops, but the screen is ok.

My brother drops his phone a lot. When he had androids, this never cost him a screen. When he switched to iphones, he's broken several 5 and 6 screens.
My biggest issue with apple is they put design ahead of surviveablity. When you have the best looking phone, but you have to cover it in an otter box, what is the point?

One of the bumpers or a thin-ish hard rubber case is really all that's needed. No need to go full armored up. As noted above, I like my Rokform.

Raluek posted:

And none of mine have, nor have those of my family members. Phones cost several hundred dollars, can't you be at least a little bit careful with them?

This, too - what the hell do you people do with your phones, use them as frisbees?

On a personal note, this past Saturday was my 47th birthday. I don't fell older, just old (still).
Had a steak dinner with my wife on Friday night, Free breakfast at Dennys on Saturday, and went and saw Independence Day: Resurgence at the second run theater Saturday evening (not bad, Brent Spiner's character was fun). Free bowl @ Genghis Grill on Sunday, and I've got coupons for a free cone at Baskin-Robbins, and a free sammich @ Wich Which for this week. I'm cool with free stuff for birthdays.

Deeters posted:

I rewatched Fury Road for the first time since I saw it in theaters. It's still very good.

Watched about a third of it last week testing the new Bluray drive in my PC. Yeah.I only stopped because it was like 1 AM...

some texas redneck posted:

So I finally went to an old drive-in burger place with a hell of a reputation. I've been to another location that's dine-in, but never to the original.

So loving weird having a carhop (that's old enough to be my mother, with at least as much ink as 14 inch) ask me if I want a beer... and having her bring it to my car. Just felt weird. The place was bikers on one side, and a shitload of muscle cars on the other, with a tiny section of everyday cars.

"Number 5" (basically a double cheeseburger with thousand island, lettuce, and tomato), fries, and a Dos Equis was less than $8 after tax. :hellyeah: Burger was pretty drat good. Fries were decent, not great, but they were out of tater tots.

e: This place is pretty awesome too. I'm less than 15 minutes from both places.

...and those are now added to my list.

iwentdoodie posted:

There's one in Portland called Ground Kontrol that is 21+ starting at like 7pm. Dollar tall boys, games are a quarter, and they serve childhood food like PB&J.

It was amazing. And every now and then they'd do 20 buck wristband night and all the games were free.

There's a couple of places around Dallas that do beer and freeplay games. I need to collect my childhood buddy and go gaming for a night. He found one that has a bunch of pinball machines, too, and that's totally his jam.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

My pegboard got replaced by a rolling tool chest setup. Got sick of having the peg hooks fall out of the board whenever I grabbed a tool off of the wall.

That's what these things are for:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Car game is no fun without rulebreakers getting probated.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That's what these things are for:

Those all popped out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I only got 5 :(
http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/ferrari/5393/gear-shift-quiz-can-you-name-all-of-these-cars

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

^ I only got 2 :(

More food chat -

Flew from big island of Hawaii to Maui yesterday and ended up sitting next to a super cool woman who was showing me photos she took of her boat trip to see the lava going into the sea. Talking more to her turns out she co-owns a restaurant which was just featured on Diners Drive-ins and Dives a few weeks back. She and invited my wife and I over for a meal today. Just saw the episode and the food indeed looks tits.

I'm actually excited for my late lunch this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Tusen Takk - Just don't do what I did and wait for stuff to accumulate so you have to clear it all out in order to put up the insulation & drywall/whatever...

• Locked thread