Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

QuarkMartial posted:

I don't want to be ugly, but why not fix the faucet yourself? We rent, but little stuff that breaks we fix ourselves. Granted, if I replace a faucet, then it'll come with me when we leave. Still, I don't have the patience to deal with something broken for three months.

That's a valid question, and to be fair, I usually do fix little poo poo myself.

Shut off valve doesn't shut off (just slows it down a bit), so the water to the entire building (12 apartments) has to be shut off. I couldn't find parts for it either, though admittedly I only looked at Home Depot and Lowe's. The only parts I've found for this brand have been for the ones with a built in mixing valve; this one has separate hot and cold knobs.

Plus the whole "WTF, I told maintenance to fix that before you moved in!" line I got from the manager the day I moved in... and the constant "we'll fix it tomorrow" promises. I even offered to fix it myself if they could get the parts or reimburse me for them, if they could shut off the water to the building for an hour. They told me not to attempt any repairs, and maintenance has told me several times that they can't get parts for it either - they've promised to replace it 4 times, but never do so.

I've also been fighting with them about the dishwasher since the first time it overflowed (a week after I moved in). If it only had a timer issue, I'd fix it myself, but the drain solenoid never fully closes on it (so you have to add water to it every 5 minutes), sometimes it starts draining while filling, sometimes the drain solenoid never closes until you turn it off and on, it's missing rollers, and the racks are rusty. They tried to tell me it was "too new to get parts for", when the build date on it is 2004. I have to babysit it when it runs, otherwise it overflows, or sometimes drains and never stops draining until it reaches the dry cycle. Half of that poo poo is probably a bad timer, but the fill valve sticks, the drain solenoid sticks, and those parts with a timer are probably $150 - plus the labor to install them. The current version of this dishwasher retails for $250, they probably get them for quite a bit less. They finally said today that they'll replace it.

I'm paying almost $300/mo more than my last apartment - it's a bit more space (750 sq ft vs 600), but it's older than my last apartment, doesn't include a washer/dryer like my last one (but does have connections), the building has structural issues, and they don't maintain the property for poo poo. It's owned by a large national property management company too, which contributes a bit toward my "not spending a penny fixing their poo poo" attitude.

tl;dr I'd fix it if they hadn't made constant promises to replace it, and if the shut off valves actually shut off

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Or you could buy a Reliant Robin and put them both to good use.

This is the best plan.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

some texas redneck posted:

I'm paying almost $300/mo more than my last apartment - it's a bit more space (750 sq ft vs 600), but it's older than my last apartment, doesn't include a washer/dryer like my last one (but does have connections), the building has structural issues, and they don't maintain the property for poo poo. It's owned by a large national property management company too, which contributes a bit toward my "not spending a penny fixing their poo poo" attitude.

ilkhan posted:

lovely apartment is lovely.
News at 11.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Convince them to gift you the piano. Then sell it and buy a car with the money.

3; Buy car with money
4; ?
5; profit

InitialDave posted:

Sounds like a pretty good test case to find out how much of a dick any given sibling is, assuming none of them have a valid (i.e. they play and have room) reason for wanting the piano themselves. If it'd just be "why are you giving them something that's worth $inheritence?" :qq:, then tell them to pull their head out their rear end.

All of us siblings actually have a great relationship. The parents have a will and estate plan in place. There are three girls and two boys. That won't be any problem for quite some time since my parents are in good health and not what I'd consider too aged yet. My dad just retired a little over a year ago.

Also my wife is the only one that plays (some other grand kids also play sort of okay). I'm definitely the only one with the room though.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Anxiously awaiting your 'We're having another kid' post in ~5.5 months after all this additional wifely pianosex that's gonna be going down, but good luck. :v:
:hf::v: that's possibly true but she might already be knocked up; we'll know in the next week or two.

This has actually been helpful, thanks everyone. At this moment we're more leaning on the side of yes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My last apartment (which was $515/mo when I lived there) is now $1300/mo. :stare:

Can't really afford not to live in a shithole.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

My last apartment (which was $515/mo when I lived there) is now $1300/mo. :stare:

We were discussing local rental rates after your recent posts and it's almost as bad here. My old apartment was $675 and it's now $1149.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Enourmo posted:

Clickspring is the most soothing poo poo on my entire feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T28sGA597IE

He sets the clock in motion for the first time at the end. God, that clicking of the escape wheel is so satisfying.

Hell yes it is. Feels good to see that thing move on its own.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Ah okay. Now it's more of a matter of principle and spite. That I can get behind.:v:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Enourmo posted:

Clickspring is the most soothing poo poo on my entire feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T28sGA597IE

He sets the clock in motion for the first time at the end. God, that clicking of the escape wheel is so satisfying.

I fukkin love clickspring. I thought the French polish video was just so drat beautiful.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Clickspring is one of the things keeping me alive and well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

We were discussing local rental rates after your recent posts and it's almost as bad here. My old apartment was $675 and it's now $1149.

I should point out my last apartment was in a fairly prime area. Just off a major road, decent amount of poo poo to do nearby, less than 2 miles from work (when I worked at Whole Foods), Plano ISD/Collin County (that alone adds a lot to home values, Dallas ISD is outright terrible in comparison - same for being in Collin). It was just barely inside Dallas, right off of 2 highways, but far enough off of them (and the major road) that it was quiet. Even really run down tiny 1 bedrooms in that area go for around $900 now. That apartment was built in 1984, but was very well maintained, in great shape, had new appliances, and had a full size washer/dryer included, along with a microwave. It was I guess average to a little below average in size for a 1 bedroom at 600 sq ft. Plano and the areas immediately surrounding Plano has also skyrocketed in rent and property values, thanks to Toyota moving their US HQ to Plano. State Farm also moved their regional HQ to Richardson (just outside of Plano).

I'm on a major highway (I-30), but the only things really around here are liquor stores, fast food, Walmart, and a lake (admittedly it's really nice being close to the lake, I'm a terrible swimmer, but it's awesome going out there and just hanging out, walking, etc). I'm also 22 miles from work and just barely inside of DFW proper (which is usually considered to be Collin, Dallas, Denton, and Tarrant counties - I'm only a couple of miles inside of the eastern edge of Dallas county). At least this side of the apartment complex is pretty quiet aside from the occasional car packed with subzzzz going through the parking lot, but I'm at the back of the property. I found out my next door neighbor is paying $150/mo less than me :argh: though he's been here a few years. My apt hasn't ever been updated, but his hasn't either - I think we're one of a handful of apartments on the property that still have ceiling fans and garbage compactors. For some reason they rip the fans out and install an ugly hanging lamp when they update the apartments. If the compactor works they leave them, but most of the apartments have had them removed and had a regular cabinet installed in place of the compactor.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 13, 2016

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phone posted:

Staying on Kyushu?

I should be staying here for the time being. Inevitably one day I may have to go to Tokyo to advance my career but for now I'm trying to stay down here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Compactors are a heavy maintenance so may complexes opt not to have them anymore so that doesn't surprise me much.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm honestly surprised it still works. It doesn't sound happy about working sometimes (lots of creaking and groaning noises, and it pops open sometimes), but it does work. They did tell me that if it breaks, they won't fix it, they'll only remove it.

I like it enough that it's something I wouldn't have issue with fixing on my own penny. Using it means I take the garbage out once a week instead of every other day, though obviously I don't put food waste in it. Kind of a pain to get bags for it locally though.

My dad has the same compactor in his house, it hasn't worked in over a decade. :v: Actually now that I think about it, every undercounter compactor I've ever seen in a 70s or 80s home was this exact model.

A lot of newer apartments seem to have giant compactor dumpsters instead of regular dumpsters. I can see those breaking down a lot.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Give it a good cleaning and oiling, and keep that poo poo. Compactors are cool.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That's the plan. It's old enough that Whirlpool actually included maintenance/service stuff in the owner's manual. The manual even says you can throw glass bottles in it, just tells you to make sure to put them in the middle instead of to the side so the glass doesn't escape through the sides of the bag. The lawyers would nope anything about glass out of the manual if it were printed today.

I put a 40oz beer bottle in it once just to see what would happen. A really loud pop as the bottle exploded and I could feel it through the floor, I was expecting it to just stop, or at least struggle a bit. Nope. Didn't give two shits. :stare:

It's definitely been apart plenty of times, it's not attached to the counter (but used to be) and the front panel is loose. And it's most likely connected via cord and plug. So it should be easy to get into whenever it needs some love.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 13, 2016

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Clickspring fans should check out This Old Tony if you haven't already. It's another machining/fabrication type channel with good production values and some legit good jokes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Wait, people pay $1300 to live in an apartment in Texas? And it isn't even in austin? Wow.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That apartment is 600 sq ft (601 if you go by their website). When I moved in, the dishwasher, stove, range hood, fridge, and dryer were original. Everything worked fine aside from the fridge - the fridge ran non-stop and couldn't get below about 45. I put in a work order about it running constantly and not keeping things cold. Maintenance came out, found a large chunk of the door gasket missing, and told me "this fridge is from 1984... a new gasket is $50, and it's on borrowed time as it is... we'll just replace it, it's going to get replaced when you move out anyway", and about 2 hours later I had a new fridge. When my lease renewed the first time, I balked at the jump in rent and asked about getting a microwave thrown in (since they were installing over-range microwaves whenever they updated an apartment), they agreed. The next day, the range hood was ripped out and replaced with a microwave. Right after that, someone showed up with a new stove. Then someone showed up with a new dishwasher. Then someone else showed up with a new dryer. I didn't expect all of that, but I got the same "ehh.. this poo poo is on borrowed time, we're gonna replace it whenever you move out anyway" line. I didn't argue. Maintenance there was loving awesome, and they had a 24 hour guarantee (otherwise my rent for the next month went down by $10/day until whatever I bitched about was fixed). What was really awesome is they got the "quiet" version of the generic GE/Hotpoint dishwasher that every apartment uses - it went from "you can hear it from the breezeway outside" to "you kinda hear it in the kitchen if you have good hearing". Going by Google, it looks like there's about a $50 difference between the normal and quiet versions.

That old apartment was/is very well maintained, and it's arguably the nicest apartment property for at least a mile around as the bird flies. Tennis court, basketball court, really nice pool, nice hot tub, so-so fitness center, very proactive maintenance that shows up and fixes poo poo immediately, then fixes anything they notice while they're there - when they'd come by, I'd almost always find a note saying they were there, with a hand-scribbled "noticed a cabinet door was sagging (or random other thing near whatever they were there to fix), we fixed it" note. But it's not $1300/mo nice by a long shot.

The place I'm at now... was a very nice place when it was built in the early 80s, and the apartments are loving huge - I'm in one of their largest 1 bedroom floorplans, but even the smallest is only around 600 sq ft. There's a sand volleyball court, basketball court, boat/RV parking, "8 different pools" (I've only found 3 so far), double pane windows (which I've never had in any apartment I've lived in; the newest was built in 1990), actual fire alarms for each building (also something I've never seen in an apartment I've lived in; in TX I don't think they required them until the mid 1990s, so it must be a city or insurance thing), surprisingly nice fitness center (with the ac set at 80 :argh:) - but getting them to actually fix anything is about as painful as running up to a sleeping bear, stomping on its balls with heels, taking a nail gun to its sack, bitchslapping the bear and bragging about how many positions you hosed his mother/father in last night, then standing there while the bear flips its poo poo on you. I mean, that last apartment definitely had me spoiled when it came to maintenance fixing poo poo (especially with them being proactive when they ran into older poo poo), but I've lived in $399/month 2 bedroom/1 bath all bills paid shitholes that were more responsive for maintenance poo poo.

I looked around Austin a bit last time I was there. I couldn't find anything except tiny studios for less than $1000. :sigh: I would love to move there; I'd miss the insane storms we get here, but the vibe down there is awesome. Granted, I only looked at Craigslist..

tl;dr yeah that place isn't worth $1300/mo, there's places 10 minutes away that go for a lot less that are just as nice, if not nicer

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 13, 2016

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:hf::v: that's possibly true but she might already be knocked up; we'll know in the next week or two.

This has actually been helpful, thanks everyone. At this moment we're more leaning on the side of yes.

Someone beat me to the "piano sex" joke, but, yeah. Get the piano. Cars come and go, nice piano's are a loving family heirloom kind of thing.
Also hopeful-congrats.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yesterday's lesson was that apparently Rotaries just like trying to suck injector grommets into the engine and that is the source of the vacuum leak. :wtc:

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 13, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Galler posted:

Clickspring fans should check out This Old Tony if you haven't already. It's another machining/fabrication type channel with good production values and some legit good jokes.

This is really cool, thanks!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Yesterday's lesson was that apparently Rotaries just like trying to suck injector grommets into the engine and that is the source of the vacuum leak. :wtc:

All will be consumed before the epitrochoidal fire.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
As of this morning I am down 40 pounds since Feb 1st. Halfway to my short term goal which if I keep it up should be around next March. And maybe next summer I can wear regular people clothes!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cage posted:

As of this morning I am down 40 pounds since Feb 1st. Halfway to my short term goal which if I keep it up should be around next March. And maybe next summer I can wear regular people clothes!
drat 40lb since February is some serious weight loss, nice work man :hfive:

I finally got around to starting a thread to document my descent into madness - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789995

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat 40lb since February is some serious weight loss, nice work man :hfive:

I finally got around to starting a thread to document my descent into madness - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789995
Thank you, you're always so kind when I post my results. :)

Car looks awesome. Wish you were lived near me so I could bring beer and learn by watching you do cool stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What the hell. Roommate tried to lock the front door when he left, and the lock is jammed in the lock position... with the key in it.

I had to take the lock off the door to get it to open again.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sounds like a real rocket surgeon you got there ;D

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cage posted:

Did you cut a loving leg off?

That's seriously impressive.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Goddamn it, and I was feeling good about 25 pounds in that time! That's really impressive, good job.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

spog posted:

Did you cut a loving leg off?

That's seriously impressive.
Its not like it happened randomly! Ive been busting my rear end at the gym 4 times a week and eating healthy. Mostly its that I cut down on weed which turns my brain into "dont care about anything" mode and then I eat fast food every day for dinner. Its silly but even getting a smart watch with a pedometer helped me a little, because when I was working out yesterday I stayed an extra 15 minutes on the treadmill so that I could hit 10k steps.

Sinestro posted:

Goddamn it, and I was feeling good about 25 pounds in that time! That's really impressive, good job.
Thank you, and good for you! Its faster to lose it the bigger you are so don't feel bad, I started pretty big.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Crazy what the decision to get your own first vehicle does to you; at the beginning of this year I would not have been capable of differentiating a Honda or a Hyundai.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm trying to replace the pinion bearings in a BMW differential and having trouble. I'm dumb and cheap so I'm trying to reuse the carrier bearings since they look fine. I installed the carrier by itself and the preload is good and everything feels smooth. I went to put the pinion in with the new bearings to check the backlash and pattern and it binds up when I get the carrier torqued down. There is one shim on each side of the carrier and I'm certain I have them right. I have pinion shins coming in but it will be a while before they are here so I'm just running through things in my head right now. Could too much pinion depth really bind up the diff? Everything I've read says the old pinion shim should be really close, or at least close enough to set the backlash and check the pattern.

I'm going to remove the rear pinion race and shim when I get home tonight to see if anything fucky is going on there but I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas in the mean time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

Crazy what the decision to get your own first vehicle does to you; at the beginning of this year I would not have been capable of differentiating a Honda or a Hyundai.

Now it's only a matter of time until the idea of "a project car" not only sounds sane, but attractive.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Guys I hate computers so much why did I get a degree in computers and commit to working in IT for the rest of my life please send help.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

scuz posted:

Guys I hate computers so much why did I get a degree in computers and commit to working in IT for the rest of my life please send help.

I did this,, but with the Army.

Bad decision

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

scuz posted:

I know what that's like. Got an accounting degree and now I work at an insurance company cause I didn't want to be an accountant and my career options are even worse.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

Now it's only a matter of time until the idea of "a project car" not only sounds sane, but attractive.

Oh yeah. Hell I bought a 2008 350z with the intent to be able to mess around with it, change parts, modify it, learn some basic car poo poo from it and such. I did a complete 180 on automobiles and love this poo poo now. Wish I had more knowledge thought.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

scuz posted:

Replace computers with cars and it with mechanic shops. Please send a loaded 357 and a bottle of Glen goolie with gummy bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

scuz posted:

KIND REMINDER I AM NOT RECEIVING EMAIL. CAN YOU PLZ HELP ME??!?! PLZ EMAIL ME BACK WITH WHEN U CAN FIX MY COMPUTER THANK YOU IN ADVANCE PLEASE DO THE NEEDFUL

• Locked thread