Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
How hard would it be to include a nuclear powered train that goes terrifyingly, unreasonably fast, but SCRAMS if it stops for more than like six seconds?

Edit: Also, is there any efficient way to strip the modules out of machines and replace them without clicking in to each one individually?

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
There was a server test recently where they had 154 simultaneous connections and apparently it all went very smoothly. I hope the mod community or devs wip up some really cool scenarios now that MP has been reworked.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Edit: Also, is there any efficient way to strip the modules out of machines and replace them without clicking in to each one individually?
Yes, it's called deconstruction planner.
(just make a module-less blueprint of whatever you are deconning first)

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Bum the Sad posted:

wtf are these combinators

the way to madness

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Uncle Spriggly posted:

There was a server test recently where they had 154 simultaneous connections and apparently it all went very smoothly. I hope the mod community or devs wip up some really cool scenarios now that MP has been reworked.

Arumba a did a 159 person mp stream that lasted two hours and went smooth

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zetsubou-san posted:

the way to madness

OH YEAH well I use the circuit network to turn oil cracking on and off as needed :colbert:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Renegret posted:

OH YEAH well I use the circuit network to turn oil cracking on and off as needed :colbert:

easily one of the best uses of it in-game

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

easily one of the best uses of it in-game

The simple self balancing train unloaded is kinda cool too.

Uses one arithmetic combination to do (resource / -(# of unloading rows)). Once it is edited up correctly, none of the inserters load/load their box more than another.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I like bruteforce because it's way easier

Also, is there a way to save blueprints to use in other games so I don't have to figure out how I built my drat red/green/blue factory again?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The two popular mods for that are Blueprint String (really basic, just load/save) and Foreman (more complex, lets you manage tons of blueprints easily).

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Solumin posted:

The two popular mods for that are Blueprint String (really basic, just load/save) and Foreman (more complex, lets you manage tons of blueprints easily).

Pfft, those are so last month. Kblueprint is where it's at now maaaaan.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
sounds like a KDE app.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
sounds like a Kerbal mod

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I greatly underestimated the level of research required after blue gets set up to reach the missile silo and launch. Also underestimated steel production..again. Made it to the 15 hours achievement with no issue but nowhere near the 8 hour one.

Ah well, time to dick around with trains and logi-bots at a massive scale.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Phssthpok posted:

sounds like a Kerbal mod

Even less exotic, the guy just stuck the first letter of his forum login in front of "blueprint". Because who could fail to recognize the unforgettable Ksomething and his amazing mods.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Sage Grimm posted:

I greatly underestimated the level of research required after blue gets set up to reach the missile silo and launch. Also underestimated steel production..again. Made it to the 15 hours achievement with no issue but nowhere near the 8 hour one.

Ah well, time to dick around with trains and logi-bots at a massive scale.

I need to set up some sort of elegant system for expanding my Solar Power arrays, because right now I'm just shuttling back and forth between the array and my factory and letting my bots build it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
As an idea, supply train running your panels and capacitor thingys to your LSPA, then you coming in and expanding its footprint using blueprints + bot logistic nodes every so often. As end products I believe you don't need them for anything beyond satellites.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Sage Grimm posted:

As an idea, supply train running your panels and capacitor thingys to your LSPA, then you coming in and expanding its footprint using blueprints + bot logistic nodes every so often. As end products I believe you don't need them for anything beyond satellites.

I think that's a good idea. If nothing else, I can leave a cargo train parked on my bus train line, pack it full of panels and accumulators and substations and walls, then cart the whole thing out to the work site en masse. Save me some bullshit time shuttling.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I need to set up some sort of elegant system for expanding my Solar Power arrays, because right now I'm just shuttling back and forth between the array and my factory and letting my bots build it.

Set up Farl with a huge solar panel and accumulator sea on both sides. I've run 20 cargo wagon Farls (although I add two diesels to get good speed.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

M_Gargantua posted:

Set up Farl with a huge solar panel and accumulator sea on both sides. I've run 20 cargo wagon Farls (although I add two diesels to get good speed.

Tempting, but I don't think I'd make it far before I faceplanted in to an ocean of biters. We reached max evo a while ago. (Also I don't want to gently caress around with FARL beyond the default settings if I can avoid it)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You know what's a really cool mod? Robotarmy. It lets you build robot armies that seem to behave with the same logic as biters, which means they form up into groups and seek out enemies to kill them. They'll also automatically collect the artifacts that spawners drop. I've had it installed for a while but never built any robots until just recently, and now I love them. I can just drop a stack somewhere troublesome and walk away and they'll just hunt and hunt and hunt until they all die.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I think that's a good idea. If nothing else, I can leave a cargo train parked on my bus train line, pack it full of panels and accumulators and substations and walls, then cart the whole thing out to the work site en masse. Save me some bullshit time shuttling.

I just put roboports in my solar farm blueprint, laid out a gigantic solar farm, then put a train station, a roboport, and some bots there. Just send out a train full of panels and poo poo occasionally and the farm builds itself

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Azhais posted:

I just put roboports in my solar farm blueprint, laid out a gigantic solar farm, then put a train station, a roboport, and some bots there. Just send out a train full of panels and poo poo occasionally and the farm builds itself

I should probably have done this but I replaced the roboport with more accumulators. Maybe for the next farm, once I finish this first one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
For a while I was tryin to do the whole ideal ratio thing in solar farms but even when I'm placing them with blue prints I just do two rows of panels above a substation and two rows below. Then I just click and hold and drag in a straight line. Way easier then trying to align each blueprint stamp with the rest. The ratio comes out close enough.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

You know what's a really cool mod? Robotarmy. It lets you build robot armies that seem to behave with the same logic as biters, which means they form up into groups and seek out enemies to kill them. They'll also automatically collect the artifacts that spawners drop. I've had it installed for a while but never built any robots until just recently, and now I love them. I can just drop a stack somewhere troublesome and walk away and they'll just hunt and hunt and hunt until they all die.

I keep putting it in games and never using it but we have it in the Dytech game and they will be built.

Anyway, 0.14.6 is out. Lots of bug fixes:

quote:

FactorioBot » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:00 pm

Changes
Drop detection got little bit strictier so the drop timeout was increased from 10 to 20 seconds.
If you log in with your email, your multiplayer username gets set to your actual username, not your email address.
Minor features
Added --start-server-load-scenario <scenario name> command to start scenario with the given name.
As a tribute to Arumbas mega-game, the "build by" was renamed to "last user" and it is updated whenever the entity is: rotated, has circuit condition changed, setting pasted, recipe changed, filter changed, output signal changed, cominbator settings changed,
Added speed change based on zoom when in god mode into the latency hiding.
The player was killed messages now contains a name of entity or player who caused that.
Bugfixes
Player killed messages are shown only to players of the same force.
Fixed that zoom to cursor didn't work in ghost/god controller.
Fixed that player dropped, but it shown the "the can't keep up message" instead.
Fixed that server got deselected when changing sorting or filters in public game list. (29561)
Additional attempt to make the keyboard settings compatibile between linux and windows. (29686)
Fixed that player crafting categories accepted empty string as value, which resulted in crash later. (32507)
Fixed that progress bar during updating mods wasn't moving (31844)
Fixed beam damage_interval of 0 would crash the game. (32527)
Fixed gates wouldn't open while in a vehicle without a character. (32525)
Fixed GUI scaling in the mod browser. (30196)
Fixed (hopefully) that wrong server details were displayed (27110)
Fixed that it wasn't possible to build rail blueprint over floor-tile ghost. (32454)
Fluid status icons will display floored values, same as all other icons. (32439)
Fixed crash that prevented the game to start on some OS X configurations. (32515)
Fixed that changing character direction from script didn't work. (32318)
Fixed game getting stuck when a new account was created from the Steam version (31642)
Additional signal/rail building fix. (30350)
Fixed that some entities would not remember their circuit parameters in the map editor. (32153)
Fixed blueprint tooltip wouldn't update when clearing a blueprint. (32038)
Fixed crash when loading some old save files containing circuit connections to be removed. (32009)
Fixed crash when removing migrated equipment grids due to mod removal while mods had references to the grids. (32420)
Fixed wires wouldn't get applied to inserters through blueprints in some cases. (32045)
Fixed that player could get unkickable under specific circumstances.
Fixed train crash when it found a path in the opposide direction that it just started moving. (29610)
Fixed Factorio updater didn't pass command line arguments when restarting the game after update. (32412)
Fixed crashes when loading old or some invalid maps in the map editor. (32488)
Clearer error messages and interaction when loading old or invalid maps.
Fixed curved rail bounding box not allowing large electric poles to be build in specific configurations. (32532)
Fixed that joining games through Steam wouldn't work. (32479)
Fixed not being able to interact with the error dialog when an error happens while interacting with GUIs. (32259)
Fixed UI not responding to input in some situations when progress guis were shown. (32522)
Fixed personal roboport wouldn't update properly when modded equipment was used in some cases.
Fixed train ignoring wait conditions in some cases (32562)
Fixed chain signal visual state right before a station (30881)
Fixed that the client was stuck when he disconnected after a reconnect.
Fixed Save As GUI not responding to input after multiplayer disconnect with chat open. (32574)
Fixed inserter placement in the 2nd level of new hope campaign mission. (31688)
Server automatically deletes temporary save files once the upload of finishes.
Fixed recipe tooltips containing fluid in assembling machines wouldn't show the available fluids properly. (32647)
Fixed desync when placing floor blueprint and mining placed ghosts at the same time. (32378)
Fixed that you could disconnect wires in from Transport Belt Madness scenario's Electric Poles. (29168)
Potential fix of crash after desync.
Attempted to handle socket unblock error in a way that won't crash the game. (32663)
Scripting
Added LuaGameScript::print - print to all players.
Added LuaForce::print - print to all players on the force.
Added LuaSurface::print - print to all players on the surface.
Fixed entities with positive emissions_per_tick would generate pollution even when pollution was disabled. (32602)
Renamed LuaEntity::built_by to LuaEntity::last_user

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

quote:

As a tribute to Arumbas mega-game, the "build by" was renamed to "last user" and it is updated whenever the entity is: rotated, has circuit condition changed, setting pasted, recipe changed, filter changed, output signal changed, cominbator settings changed,

They're actually doing this again and livestreaming it tonight at 8PM EST for another two hours and I am legitimately both bummed that I won't be home from work in time to take part and excited to get home and watch the recording.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ignoranus posted:

They're actually doing this again and livestreaming it tonight at 8PM EST for another two hours and I am legitimately both bummed that I won't be home from work in time to take part and excited to get home and watch the recording.

I missed the first one but I'm going to try and stay up for tonight. Should be interesting.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Over 400 people on that try. The new MP code in 0.14 is impressively stable and scalable to be honest. If you have enough computer grunt and bandwidth, just keep piling the people in. With 350+ I could still move around and perform actions. A lot of 'server not responding' and a constant stream of people coming in/out, messages etc. Very impressive.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Screenshot from the 3rd start. The whole place has been deforested in minutes, hilarious.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How do I join that multiplayer server?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

How do I join that multiplayer server?

Be running 0.14.7, Play->Multiplayer->Browse Public Games->Arumbas <whatever it's called just now>

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
So what are the must-have mods these days for someone who's finally up to speed on playing the base game? Is there a central md HQ somewhere, or anything analogous to CKAN for KSP?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ratzap posted:

Screenshot from the 3rd start. The whole place has been deforested in minutes, hilarious.
Swarms of players instead of bots. :stare:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Poil posted:

Swarms of players instead of bots. :stare:

The end of the first one was like that too, by the end Arumba was just laying ghost belt everywhere and the swarm would fill in the designs

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Azhais posted:

The end of the first one was like that too, by the end Arumba was just laying ghost belt everywhere and the swarm would fill in the designs

At some point in this one, he laid out a single smelting column and walked away, then a bunch of people turned it into ten columns running in parallel. It was insane.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Ignoranus posted:

At some point in this one, he laid out a single smelting column and walked away, then a bunch of people turned it into ten columns running in parallel. It was insane.

"HE LOOKED AT ME!" "He was scanning the horizon!"

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ZekeNY posted:

So what are the must-have mods these days for someone who's finally up to speed on playing the base game? Is there a central md HQ somewhere, or anything analogous to CKAN for KSP?

The game has a mod manager built-in now, and your can access it outside the game at mods.factorio.com.

As for most have mods... A blueprint manager is nice. Most of GotLag's mods are great additions. But I can't think of anything that's truly "must have." RSO is a fun challenge though.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Getting hyped about 0.15 today with the latest Friday update. GUI overhaul and the addition of a blueprint manager to the base game!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

"HE LOOKED AT ME!" "He was scanning the horizon!"

My world is belts and gear wheels. Once, I was a newb, a fool searching for the perfect ratios...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone know when Arumba is hosting another massive server? I watched the videos and it looked like really good fun. All I see on the Public Game List is some backup server with 5 people in it.