Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bawfuls posted:

Wasn't he in the top-3 last year?

He was exactly #3 most loved last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I voted A-Rod #3. If him and the Mets actually came together maybe the Mets win a title or two during the 2000s and I get less neurotic about the Mets :colbert:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

YeahTubaMike posted:

My theories about why he isn't:

-Other people have been assholes more recently.
-He hasn't physically harmed anyone.
-He apologized about it and actually seemed to kind of mean it.
-Not everyone knows that it happened at all.

I have super top secret inside knowledge of who made the top 5, and I assure you, the guys who are there absolutely deserve to be there.

I completely forgot about Yunel Escobar. It's a name i haven't thought of in a while. If I remembered, he'd be top-5.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
:siren: Brief announcement! :siren:

I will be attending the Phillies vs. Marlins game at Citizens Bank Park on Saturday (please don't take any pictures of me :ohdear: ). As a result, I will be unable to post on Saturday. I will be posting #13 and #12 in advance on Friday, and #11 on Sunday evening after I get back. That is all.

Most Hated #14, 27 pts: Matt Garza
Team: Milwaukee Brewers
Debut: August 11, 2006

#1 votes: 1
#2 votes: 1
#3 votes: 0

What's to hate? Has some pretty interesting ideas about women and our place. The following rant apparently took place after Eric Sogard committed the unforgivable sin of bunting against him.

MLB posted:

Asked if he'd bunt against Garza the next time he faces him, Sogard smiled.

"We'll see," he said. "It seemed to work out yesterday."

Also, after slumping really hard in the 2015 season, he was removed from the Brewers' starting rotation. Instead of handling the situation with any amount of tact/grace and owning up to his poor performance, he chose instead to whine like a bitch and sit out the entire rest of the season out of spite.

Matt Garza posted:

It's (expletive) [...] It's not my decision. I didn't get much say. It's completely taken out of my hands. That's it. I didn't have any say at all.

It is what it is. It's just (expletive).

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

25. Joe Panik, Jered Weaver, Alejandro De Aza, Dansby Swanson, Matt Harvey
24. Josh Donaldson, Clay Buchholz
23. Jung-ho Kang, Eric Hosmer, Jeff Francoeur
22. Noah Syndergaard, Hunter Pence
21. Matt Holliday
20. Carlos Gomez
19. Darren O’Day, Matt Bush
18. Mike Trout, Dustin Pedroia
17. John Lackey, Chris Coghlan, Sean Rodriguez
16. Yunel Escobar
15. Alex Rodriguez
14. Matt Garza

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 15, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #14, 30 pts: Jose Altuve
Team: Houston Astros
Debut: July 20, 2011

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 1

What's to love?

Jose "The Little Astro That Could" Altuve is tiny and adorable and good, emphasis on the "good". He also seems like a cool person, but his diminuitive stature and playing ability endear him to fans the most. The Astros initially thought he was too short to be a worthwhile addition to their team, and the four-time All-Star (who also led the AL in stolen bases and hits in 2014 and 2015) has been proving them wrong for five years and counting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFsYTFV2O1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We0evW8r1Yk

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
24. Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez
23. Troy Tulowitzki, David Ross
22. Chase Utley, Dae-ho Lee
21. Kyle Hendricks, Noah Syndergaard
20. Justin Verlander, Felix Hernandez, Mookie Betts
19. Salvador Perez
18. Addison Russell
17. Dexter Fowler, Giancarlo Stanton
16. Russell Martin
15. R.A. Dickey, Edwin Encarnacion
14. Jose Altuve

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 15, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I hate Matt Garza, I am very glad he is bad at baseball now.

Was hoping Altuve would land higher.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

Was hoping Altuve would land higher.

Me too, even though I didn't vote for him myself. Picking a top 10 is haaaaard.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I liked Garza back on the miracle Joe Maddon Rays team that made the series, but admittedly I didn't know about him. Turns out he is a huge piece of poo poo and should be fired into the sun from a Canon.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

gently caress

I'm the #3 vote for Altuve and the #2 vote for Garza. both should be higher. you are all shameful

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

gently caress

I'm the #3 vote for Altuve and the #2 vote for Garza. both should be higher. you are all shameful

YOU are shameful for not campaigning for Garza and Altuve. :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
http://www.howmanyaltuves.com/

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

YOU are shameful for not campaigning for Garza and Altuve. :colbert:

Exactly. Say what you want about my tastes, I campaigned like a motherfucker for CarMart. I almost put Altuve near the bottom of my list but I'd read an endearing story about Jon Jay that wedged him back into my top ten.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I also forgot to include this wonderful Tumblr. http://josealtuvenexttotallpeople.tumblr.com/

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

Exactly. Say what you want about my tastes, I campaigned like a motherfucker for CarMart. I almost put Altuve near the bottom of my list but I'd read an endearing story about Jon Jay that wedged him back into my top ten.

You're not helping the case for campaigning.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

You're not helping the case for campaigning.

Voter apathy like this is going to get us a Trump presidency. This is what you are personally responsible for. A low-ranked Altuve and a big rear end wall along the southern border.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

I also forgot to include this wonderful Tumblr. http://josealtuvenexttotallpeople.tumblr.com/

That's only because I didn't know about it! :aaa:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Inspector_666 posted:

That's only because I didn't know about it! :aaa:

I actually found it while I was looking for sweet Altuve GIFs. :D

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#13 is a very motion picture-heavy place. Also, holy poo poo this list is half(ish)-over! I'm going to miss it when it's done. This is really fun.

Most Hated #13, 32 pts: Yadier Molina
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut:

What's to hate? Hmm…somewhat temperamental, I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTfNICxwV3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7jahYyhtBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzrwjEsgLXM

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

21. Matt Holliday
20. Carlos Gomez
16. Yunel Escobar
15. Alex Rodriguez
14. Matt Garza
13. Yadier Molina

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #13 (2-way tie), 35 pts: Anthony Rizzo, Bartolo Colon

Anthony Rizzo
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: June 9, 2011

What's to love? Anthony Rizzo is loved by everyone, from baseballs…

…to animals…

…to the elderly…

…to the extremely handsome.

In addition to being really great on the field, he seems like a hilarious and affable fellow. If Salvy Perez is the King of Instagram, Rizzo is probably like, the archduke, at least.

Bartolo Colon
Team: New York Mets
Debut: April 4, 1997

What's to love? Bartolo Colon is old, fat, and good. At 42 years old, he became the oldest MLB player ever to hit his first dinger, and my oh my, what a dinger it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFsq9FQBlc

Big Sexy is an athletic anomaly, to the point that we can forgive him his PED transgressions and secret other family-havingness.

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
24. Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez
19. Salvador Perez
18. Addison Russell
16. Russell Martin
14. Jose Altuve
13. Anthony Rizzo, Bartolo Colon

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sorry if missed the explanation, but why is Syndergaard always bolded in the most hated list? Is it because he received the most hate votes so far?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Sorry if missed the explanation, but why is Syndergaard always bolded in the most hated list? Is it because he received the most hate votes so far?
Its because he's on both lists

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

MrMojok posted:

bawfuls posted:

Its because he's on both lists

drat, bawfuls beat me to it by the time I clicked the Quote button. Good stuff.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Rizzo is the anti-Molina.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

This is cool to be that high up without any top 3 votes. Did Bartolo receive votes from the most voters?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

This is cool to be that high up without any top 3 votes. Did Bartolo receive votes from the most voters?

YeahTubaMike posted:

• There is only one player everyone loves, and only one who everyone hates.

This post referred to Bartolo. He received 10 votes total, and I'm not 100% sure whether or not that's the most votes because Excel isn't making it easy for me to figure that out.

edit: last year, if you all recall, Giancarlo Stanton got #1 with no #1 votes, which is way more impressive. Still, Big Sexy's widespread appeal is nothing to sneeze at.

edit2: I can't read.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 16, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Most Hated #13, 32 pts: Yadier Molina
Team: St. Louis Cardinals

It's me. I voted Yadi #1.

Why?

#1: The Cardinals are the 90s Braves all over again. Watching the same team go through the playoffs for eternity isn't fun for people who aren't Cards fans. Besides playoff runs, they're on TV all the loving time, usually against the Cubs, which ESPN has told us is the next Red Sox/Yankees-level rivalry. Molina is the face of the never-ending onslaught of Cardinals games I'm "treated" to.

#2: He's a cocky bastard who's been in the middle of a few fights. Some he started, some he just kept going when egged on. He's not a terrible person like some people on the hated list, nor have I seen him enforce bullshit unwritten rules like McCann, nor has he made any AJ Pierzynski-like comments. But, again, as the Cardinals perennially dominate their division, and keep winning, his is the first poo poo-eating grin we see.

#3: That face. He has a punchable face, surrounded by neck tattoos. And, as the face of the Cardinals for the last decade-plus, they cut to him more often than any other player for reactions when he's on the bench or for anything else.

But hey, part of baseball's allure to me is having someone to cheer, and someone to boo. Yadier is easy to boo because he's good at his position, his team wins a lot, and he's been around for a while, so he's easy to connect to St. Louis. Has he been popped for PEDs, busted for drunk driving, beaten his wife, or committed any crime? No. In fact, he runs a charity. Aside from pocketing some money he was paid to give out autographs, he hasn't really done anything bad. But, as a baseball villain, he's easy to boo, and he's probably the most 'skilled' active player in baseball I dislike, which is why I voted him #1.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I was the #1 vote for Garza. gently caress that guy. :mad:

And I did campaign for him!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

I will be posting #13 and #12 in advance on Friday, and #11 on Sunday evening after I get back. That is all.

Double post time!

Most Hated #12, 33 pts: Madison Bumgarner
Team: San Francisco Giants
Debut: September 8, 2009

What's to hate? While a heaping helping of Dodgers salt helped propel Bumgarner to his place in the most hated list, it’s hardly ill-deserved. You see, MadBum is the Fun Police (and the Unfun Police, I guess, since he frequently loses his poo poo even when things are going in his favor), and much like the ACTUAL police, he seems to have a particularly jagged stick up his rear end about black and Hispanic players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOJ8YhoxWIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKjo8PiWd1k

Carlos Gomez awesomely posted:

Who does that guy think he is, Bumgarner? I never scream at anybody when they miss a pitch and he screams at himself, or they make a pitch and be happy. I never say anything. So you put a good swing and they're looking at you like you're a piece of (garbage). Tell that (guy) to throw the ball and don't worry about my thing.

He also threw at Jesus Guzman for celebrating a dinger in a previous at-bat against Jeremy Affeldt, which is some bullshit, and more recently he stared down Wil Myers for the crime of striking out against him.

Madbum, living up to his nickname posted:

I just wanted to be mad for a second.

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

21. Matt Holliday
20. Carlos Gomez
16. Yunel Escobar
15. Alex Rodriguez
14. Matt Garza
13. Yadier Molina
12. Madison Bumgarner

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 17, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #12, 38 pts: Adrian Beltre
Team: Texas Rangers
Debut: June 24, 1998

What's to love? Adrian Beltre is hard loving core. He has played through multiple recoveries from a Dr. Nick-esque appendectomy, a loving testicle rupture (he still refuses to wear a cup, because of course he does), and a torn thumb ligament (through which he still managed a .318 batting average during the second half of the 2015 season). The man loves baseball more than he hates being touched on the top of his head.

Also saved Jose Bautista from the wrath of his entire team.

Currently embroiled in a torrid, underrated bromance with Elvis Andrus.

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
19. Salvador Perez
18. Addison Russell
16. Russell Martin
14. Jose Altuve
12. Adrian Beltre

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

This post referred to Bartolo. He received 10 votes total, and I'm not 100% sure whether or not that's the most votes because Excel isn't making it easy for me to figure that out.

Calling it now, the "only hated" player is either Chapman or Braun.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Beltre :swoon::frogc00l:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Everyone knows the kind of monster Bautista is when he's mad. I'd say Beltre saved his team from him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pancakes posted:

Calling it now, the "only hated" player is either Chapman or Braun.

For what it's worth, you are incorrect.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

YeahTubaMike posted:

For what it's worth, you are incorrect.

Is it Papelbon?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Inspector_666 posted:

Is it Papelbon?

It was indeed Papelbon at the time that post was made.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Chexoid posted:

In that one all-star game skit, Mike Trout was so young he didn't understand how a VCR worked. This is an incredibly basic concept that even a child could figure out. I think he also asked "Film cameras? How did you take Selfies?" which doesn't make any sense. Having film in a camera doesn't preclude you from taking a picture of yourself.

He is a contemptible fool. An oaf.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/all-star-game-young-players-technology-mike-trout-bryce-harper-michael-wacha-joc-pederson-071415

Oh I was wrong it was Michael Wacha with the VCR. Look at how stupid he is. It's a loving rectangle, and there's a rectangle hole.

You're going to blame ballplayers for bad skits and seizure-inducing lighting?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Hated #11, 40 pts: A.J. Pierzynski
Team: Atlanta Braves
Debut: September 9, 1998

What's to hate?

https://twitter.com/Mobute/status/522156259651629056

Tom Verducci posted:

Like ammonia, mace or Simon Cowell, Pierzynski is a professional irritant.

ESPN posted:

What does Pierzynski do? Mostly little things. When he makes an out, he'll often take the opportunity to jog across the mound on his way back to the dugout. Pitchers, as a rule, don't like this. Or, as he's running across the infield at the end of an inning, he might refuse to alter his course, even if it means nicking the shoulder of an opponent. Or maybe he'll accidentally-on-purpose step on the first baseman's foot as he crosses the bag.

Ozzie Guillen posted:

I don't think he's a smartass. I think he's an rear end without the smart.

In an SI.com poll in 2011, A.J. Pierzynski was named the MLB's meanest player, above noted crazy person Milton Bradley. Despite not personally knowing the ins and outs of why (he seems to have a reputation for chirping at batters and getting away with it, but I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen him do that), I also harbor some dislike of him. Controversy seems to follow him around, and his personality and playing style don't exactly help diffuse it.

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

21. Matt Holliday
20. Carlos Gomez
16. Yunel Escobar
15. Alex Rodriguez
14. Matt Garza
13. Yadier Molina
12. Madison Bumgarner
11. A.J. Pierzynski

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 19, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #11, 39 pts: Andrew McCutchen
Team: Pittsburgh Pirates
Debut: June 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheCUTCH22/status/485442384730152960

What's to love? Everything. Andrew McCutchen rules. There was recently a really great The Undefeated article about him and his rise through the ranks (it’s also about travel ball and how it limits the ability of economically disadvantaged kids to develop the skills to reach the Majors — you should read it, it’s good). He cut his hair for charity and won the Roberto Clemente award in 2015.

He's also in the middle of one of my top five favorite baseball-related GIFs.

Stanton dingers have that effect on people.

Perhaps the five-time All-Star and 2013 NL MVP isn’t exactly having a great 2016 — in fact, even his SAS popularity contest numbers are down (he reached #2 in last year’s poll) -- but his charm and overall skill can not be denied. He’ll be back.

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
19. Salvador Perez
18. Addison Russell
16. Russell Martin
14. Jose Altuve
12. Adrian Beltre
11. Andrew McCutchen

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 19, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How shameful, I forgot to vote for Cutch...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Popete posted:

How shameful, I forgot to vote for Cutch...

I accidentally tried to vote for him twice

• Locked thread