Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The fact that a couple of Germans decided to name their submarine movie literally "The Boat" amuses me every time that movie comes up.

Excellent doomguy impression at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey, everyone, long time no see!
Here's the end of Eternity
Part 2/2 (Part 47 Overall)

This was the final 1994 wad on the list (kind of), next stop: Hell of Earth!

Thread Contest #1 Round 1 Results

1994 Wad Deaths: 91

Here are all the guesses I received:

Y-Hat 54
CheeseTheif 99
Technowolf 100
Alexeythegreat 127.42
KozmoNaut 147
Aerdan 200
Dinictus 270

The only person who guessed under 91 is Y-hat! Congrats! You get 3 points on the scoreboard!

(If I missed your guess please let me know, but I'm pretty sure I got everyone.)

HIGH SCORES

1: Y-Hat -- 3
2: ID Software '93 -- 0
3: John Doom -- 0
4: Billy Boy Blazkowicz -- 0
5: The Vorticon Race -- 0

For Round 2, I want your guesses for Doom 2's Death Count. Better luck this time, thread!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Gonna guess 127.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 15, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Hell yeah I won at something! Gonna go with 18 deaths for Doom 2 to keep the streak alive.

edited a new answer

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 15, 2016

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
1 death

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Some of the later levels can get pretty brutal, but I have (possibly misplaced) faith in Temin. 33 deaths

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

:haw:

This is where it gets fun, since I actually know the final death count for Doom 2 right now.

E: You still have plenty of time to get in your guesses for the final grand total death count, as well as the final video count.

OH YEAH, AND I FORGOT TO SET A DEADLINE. WHOOPS!
You all have until Friday, September 30th by 11:59 P.M. PST

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 15, 2016

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I'd just like to point out that you were meandering around for half a minute (roughly) with only 1% health and no one commented. I can only imagine how tense you were when recording that gameplay during that point.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I'd just like to point out that you were meandering around for half a minute (roughly) with only 1% health and no one commented. I can only imagine how tense you were when recording that gameplay during that point.

It's always pretty freakin' tense. Don't worry, this isn't the last time that will happen!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

56 deaths!

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
And here I thought the WADs would be less forgiving. Doom 2 at least is more bullshit. Especially if you're going to try out 100.000 Revenants.

18 deaths for Doom 2.

EDIT: Didn't include specifics for the deaths. Whoops.

Dinictus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 17, 2016

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
2 deaths for Doom 2
1024 total deaths.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Vanilla Doom 2? I'd say about 24. If it's with .wads, let's go to 300. Total death count about 1600.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh, this is vanilla Doom 2 only? around 20 deaths, I think.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
25 deaths for vanilla Doom 2.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Fix your videos you nerd, and crop out the grey.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'll lowball it with 14 deaths for doom 2 vanilla, and take a wild guess at 90 deaths for the wads.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

0 deaths. I believe in you :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I had full faith in Temin's skills. :colbert:

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Hey everyone, sorry if there was any confusion.

I'm looking for the total death count for just Doom2.exe, Map01-Map32 -- No wads or anything. The wads will come later. Feel free to revise your guesses if you were confused.

By "final total" I meant the death count at the end of the entire LP, by the way. I'm not quite sure what some of you were guessing at when you said total deaths.

wargames posted:

Fix your videos you nerd, and crop out the grey.

Huh, never even noticed that. I'll fix it from now on. Thanks for the heads up!

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 15, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I'll guess a relatively low 15 deaths for DOOM2 it'll be less bullshit than some of those wads after all.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually, regarding total deaths: are you guys going to do Daikatana? Because if that's the case, I definitely lowballed it.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

Actually, regarding total deaths: are you guys going to do Daikatana? Because if that's the case, I definitely lowballed it.

Yeah we're gonna do Daikatana, but in the way we did games like Blake Stone, Rise of the Triad, etc. Initially at least. I have a plan for the side games much later on, so we'll see how that goes.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

33 deaths 1 per map, +1 extra for that level.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

21 deaths for Doom 2!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Twice as many deaths for Doom 2, and three times as many for Doom 3.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Temin_Dump posted:

Yeah we're gonna do Daikatana, but in the way we did games like Blake Stone, Rise of the Triad, etc. Initially at least. I have a plan for the side games much later on, so we'll see how that goes.

Daikatana deserves something special, really looking forward to hear your commentary about that trainwreck :allears:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
15 deaths for Doom 2

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
25 deaths for Doom 2.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Temin_Dump posted:

So that's also the same for Heretic, Hexen etc., I guess?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Kill Six Billion Temin_Dumps

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

nielsm posted:

So that's also the same for Heretic, Hexen etc., I guess?

See, that's where it gets a bit weird. I'm actually going to finish these because they're on the Doom engine, and feel more or less like really fleshed out Doom TC's. I admit that it's fairly arbitrary, but that's what I decided to go with. Like I said, I have somewhat of a plan for the other side games way down the line.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Temin_Dump posted:

Huh, never even noticed that. I'll fix it from now on. Thanks for the heads up!

I told thyrork to tell you guys about it but he claims you would just act like a bunch of Canadians and not listen to proper British advice.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

wargames posted:

I told thyrork to tell you guys about it but he claims you would just act like a bunch of Canadians and not listen to proper British advice.

:argh: :canada:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

wargames posted:

The British man's burden. :britain:

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

So... are you an angry Canadian, or angry at Canadian's? I can't tell.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Stephen9001 posted:

So... are you an angry Canadian, or angry at Canadian's? I can't tell.

They are one and the same

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I'm sort of wondering Temin, are you ever going to emerge from the stone age and start using an operating system with a proper GUI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'm sort of wondering Temin, are you ever going to emerge from the stone age and start using an operating system with a proper GUI?

It was ported to Linux in '94, so he could be using Chocolate Doom this whole time. :v: