Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

the spyder posted:

I try to do as little IT related stuff outside of work as I can. No more side gigs, no more fixing family PC's, no more $150/m in electricity home lab. It's great. My only regret with cars right now is continuing to work on them on the side and not working on projects I want to be. The side money is nice, but the stress and community are not worth my health/wellbeing. (I know, I've said it 3x before- this time I'm done.)
Yeah, gently caress doing IT "love jobs" even for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tusen Takk posted:

Sweet, I'm gonna go through them tomorrow and take some pictures

I know I have a bunch of Star Wars ones including the original AT-AT walker and X-Wing so if that piques your interest more just u wait baby

Heh, you said old but then I remembered you're like 25. Still curious to see what you've got, my little nephew is rapidly becoming a huge lego maniac.

I was imagining stuff like this http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/375_Castle or http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/381_Police_Station which are in boxes with manuals in my mom's basement because I like to archive everything forever.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Sociology degree buddy :hfive:

Bonus factoid: A lot of HR people have a sociology degree so it's a great "in" for interviews, it's how I got my foot in the door at the company I've now worked at for 13 years.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kitchen chat. I have stew in the slow cooker. Went a bit overboard though - once I put everything in it - it's a 6 quart, I think - I realized how full it was. It comes almost to the lip for the lid. It's on low, but hopefully everything will be fully cooked by the time I wake up. It's been on for about 3 hours so far, I'll probably wake up around 10 (for a total of 10 hours of cook time).

Dunno how it's going to come out - I (mostly) used a recipe I found online. I need to call my mom and get her recipe for the awesome green chile stew she makes every winter.

Siochain posted:

I should have bought the Bosch, but the wife wanted the KitchenAid. Its been awesome. We also bake like mother-fuckers, albeit due to trying to eat better, we don't have that much butter on hand...usually.

A mixer is definitely next on my list of "kitchen poo poo I want need"

I do a decent amount of cooking for the limited stuff I have - I have an okay set of knives (Wusthof block set), but beyond that I have the basics. Oven stuff is a bread pan, a 9x13 dish, and a $1 pizza sheet. Stove stuff is just a skillet and dutch oven. The only "fancy" poo poo I have is a potato masher and a dishwasher safe wood cutting board (which is probably full of fun poo poo like listeria).

leica posted:

I made a living as a photographer for 4 years. I take pics with my phone now mostly, could give a gently caress about photography and I used to love it.

Never made a living at it, but I've always kept a decent camera around. Phone cameras have gotten good enough that it's rare for me to drag my DSLR out. It used to go everywhere with me; my only gripe about a phone camera for quick snapshots is phones take a couple of seconds to get ready to take a photo, then a bit to focus... while a DSLR is pretty much ready to go the moment you pick it up. Might take half a second to focus, but even my relatively old D5100 goes from power off to shutter clicking in less than a second, assuming it's bright enough for it to focus on its own. The autofocus assist light burned out years ago, so AF on it is useless in low light.

Not working tomorrow, I may drag the DSLR out to the lake. Might find some trails. Who knows. I just wanna get the gently caress out of the house and get outside and maybe take a few pics with something with a decent lens. The weather should be nice, low 90s.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 15, 2016

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So how easy is developing your own b&w film?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Raise your eyes my son and get the Bosch universal mixer. I scored mine from a special buy at Costco and got the cookie paddles, and some other attachments for a smoking deal. My wife has since made it her hobby to bake treats. Between the Bosch, a half dozen cookie sheets with silpats and our double ovens she will rip out like 72+ cookies in about an hour. Our neighbor's all love us because we share most of what's made. At any given point we have 12-20 pounds of butter on hand and ~10 pounds of varied ghirardelli chocolate chips.

If that's the good poo poo then I'll keep an eye out. Then get fat because pizza for dinner, cookies for dessert every night.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My mum's Kenwood chef from when I was a sprout needed a new bowl a year ago, mechanically identical to the one I was bought as a wedding gift ten years ago. I don't have experience of the bosch but I won't hesitate to suggest a Kenwood.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

Very.

All you need is a dark cupboard to load the film tank and it's about as hard as mixing a decent martini.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Heh, you said old but then I remembered you're like 25. Still curious to see what you've got, my little nephew is rapidly becoming a huge lego maniac.

I was imagining stuff like this http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/375_Castle or http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/381_Police_Station which are in boxes with manuals in my mom's basement because I like to archive everything forever.

Bonus factoid: A lot of HR people have a sociology degree so it's a great "in" for interviews, it's how I got my foot in the door at the company I've now worked at for 13 years.

and I know that these sets are 100% or at least easily rebuilt depending on how well they survived being in storage

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Protip: don't go poking around under your car if your head will be laying in grass before you check for ant hills.

My neck and chest look like someone took birdshot to them.

bend
Dec 31, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

Protip: don't go poking around under your car if your head will be laying in grass before you check for ant hills.

Couple of months ago I parked the car on a meat ant nest, didn't notice, must have aggravated them a little loading up because I went to reverse and got bit on the danglies. Killed a tail light, and I was still finding ants in the car a week later

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So you know how I mentioned it was a bit wet in Adelaide yesterday?

100mm of rain in 48hrs... its caused absolute chaos.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...3555a1e9b21181f

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

bend posted:

Couple of months ago I parked the car on a meat ant nest, didn't notice, must have aggravated them a little loading up because I went to reverse and got bit on the danglies. Killed a tail light, and I was still finding ants in the car a week later

These are the kinds of things that make me glad I live in the frozen north.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

These are the kinds of things that make me glad I live in the frozen north.
It's nearly time for all the bugs to die!! :neckbeard:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fire ants? drat son. I stood on a fire ant hill with flip flops on once it was loving horrible, I hate those bastards.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

scuz posted:

It's nearly time for all the bugs to die!! :neckbeard:

They never really die, they just sleep for a few months then cone back slightly stronger

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Kitchen chat. I have stew in the slow cooker. Went a bit overboard though - once I put everything in it - it's a 6 quart, I think - I realized how full it was. It comes almost to the lip for the lid. It's on low, but hopefully everything will be fully cooked by the time I wake up. It's been on for about 3 hours so far, I'll probably wake up around 10 (for a total of 10 hours of cook time).

Read that as "kitten chat" at first and was very worried for a bit. :ohdear:

Now that I've read it properly, I really want beef stew...

Cakefool posted:

As spog said, easy. Just watch a youtube tutorial or something. My grandma taught me when I was like 8 or 10. I usually use my bathroom as a darkroom--the last one didn't have any windows but at my current place, I have to masking-tape some thick cardboard over the vent window.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Never made a living at it, but I've always kept a decent camera around. Phone cameras have gotten good enough that it's rare for me to drag my DSLR out. It used to go everywhere with me; my only gripe about a phone camera for quick snapshots is phones take a couple of seconds to get ready to take a photo, then a bit to focus... while a DSLR is pretty much ready to go the moment you pick it up. Might take half a second to focus, but even my relatively old D5100 goes from power off to shutter clicking in less than a second, assuming it's bright enough for it to focus on its own. The autofocus assist light burned out years ago, so AF on it is useless in low light.

Not working tomorrow, I may drag the DSLR out to the lake. Might find some trails. Who knows. I just wanna get the gently caress out of the house and get outside and maybe take a few pics with something with a decent lens. The weather should be nice, low 90s.
The issue with phone cameras isn't so much quality, but versatility. No zoom (and the lenses are so damned wide), still pretty noisy in any low light conditions, etc.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
They also have small sensors and bad lenses. They're pretty decent in a pinch, but for a photos you care about, particularly in the dark, you can pretty easily tell the difference.

BTW, the camera that should be bought for "nice photos of things" is probably some (used) variant of the sony rx100.
It is small, has an excellent zoom lens, a good sensor, and a bunch of toys.
My Fuji x100 takes slightly better photos, but is larger, has a fixed lens, and has fewer "make this easy" features.

Most people don't need interchangeable lenses or an SLR. They're expensive and bulky, meaning you won't use them as much if you're just a casual photographer. The best camera is the one you have on you.

Also, black and white isn't hard, but make sure you read some guides and stuff. You'll also need a good scanner or the stuff to enlarge, which bumps the cost up and are both harder to do correctly than simple developing.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 15, 2016

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

New tires on the VW again after the last set lasted 25 of the 60k miles guaranteed. Good news is Discount Tire gave me a money off my new tires based on the bad ones. Bad news is I ordered tires during the Labor Day sale but wasn't prompted to pay when I ordered them. Apparently I needed to go to a physical location before the sale ended and pay for them...so no $100 mail in rebate for that. Seems kind of bullshit but whatever.

Also got an alignment, had a bunch of extra toe-in which explains the wear.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nm posted:

They also have small sensors and bad lenses. They're pretty decent in a pinch, but for a photos you care about, particularly in the dark, you can pretty easily tell the difference.

BTW, the camera that should be bought for "nice photos of things" is probably some (used) variant of the sony rx100.
It is small, has an excellent zoom lens, a good sensor, and a bunch of toys.
My Fuji x100 takes slightly better photos, but is larger, has a fixed lens, and has fewer "make this easy" features.

Most people don't need interchangeable lenses or an SLR. They're expensive and bulky, meaning you won't use them as much if you're just a casual photographer. The best camera is the one you have on you.

Also, black and white isn't hard, but make sure you read some guides and stuff. You'll also need a good scanner or the stuff to enlarge, which bumps the cost up and are both harder to do correctly than simple developing.

Eh, this isn't strictly true any more. Cellphone cameras have gotten significantly better and easier to use, and will leverage HDR to make low light photos not look like complete rear end.

That said, X100 Uberalles.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Teaching rocket physics to a group of freshmen: :thumbsup:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Really happy with the G5 mft camera so far. The manual lens isn't that difficult to use, either, and having manual aperture control actually simplifies things a lot.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I use a DSLR to shoot birds and that generally ain't happenin' with a cellphone. But I shoot with an old-rear end, heavy-rear end, manual focus-rear end Pentax lens. I love the punishment.

I posted in the last chat thread about getting a pretty clean AMC Eagle wagon. I'd been watching the CL post drop in price. It's gone now. I got greedy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Finally got my car into the body shop.

I had requested a sedan when I set up the rental. "Oh we bumped you up to a SUV". Eh... okay, I can deal with that, it's only for a weIS THAT A loving JEEP PATRIOT OH GOD NO NO NO NO NO WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS PILE OF poo poo?!?

Who the gently caress spends their own money on this huge pile of poo poo?! CVT, all the power of an asthmatic 90 year old trying to blow through a needle, can't see a goddamn thing in the mirrors, blind spots a mile wide, and I've driven box trucks that handle better. Standing on the gas sends the tach to redline and makes a lot of noise, but there's not a matching response in acceleration. Yeah, it has 10 more hp than my car, but it also weighs a good 400-500 pounds more.

gently caress this thing so hard. I'm gonna try to exchange it for a car tomorrow. They didn't have anything else on site (since I used the Enterprise office at the body shop and had reserved it over the phone), so I'm stuck with this pile for now. I saw a Chrysler 200 in their lot, but they said it was already spoken for. They didn't have anything else except a Chevy Spark.

nm posted:

I only have one lens for my DSLR - a 35mm f/1.8.

"Zoom" means I walk closer to whatever I'm trying to take a picture of. The way it's supposed to be. :colbert: I had a couple of zooms, but the 35 just takes far better photos. I had a 50mm for awhile, but I wanted something a bit wider.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have a Canon t3i, a total entry level DSLR, and I never take the 50mm prime I bought off of it.

Wide shots and zooming are for the weak-minded.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Ferremit posted:

Fun stuff. We got about 36" of rain (900mm) in 72 hours here a month ago. About 24" (600mm) was in the last 24 hours. I think something like 250,000 homes were damaged by flash flooding. Most of the area looks like hell with trash piles 3-9' tall out by the roads right now as all these people gut homes and apartments.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ferremit posted:

Hey, you might actually have water that you can drink now after all that rain :v:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I have a Canon t3i, a total entry level DSLR, and I never take the 50mm prime I bought off of it.

Wide shots and zooming are for the weak-minded.
Zoom lenses also let you get various lens perspectives: compressing background, emphasizing depth, or getting great bokeh. Can't do that with a fixed lens.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You can get excellent bokeh with prime lenses just fine. My Canon 135L produced the best bokeh I've ever seen and I've had Leica setups before. Zooms are great if you need them, most of the time you don't.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

I've had Leica setups before

... oh you have, have you? :stare:

(I know, :thejoke: , that just couldn't rest without some comment.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, when I joined the forums I was deep into my obsession with Leica cameras and lenses so yeah. Seemed like a good username at the time :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Haha, when I joined the forums I was deep into my obsession with Leica cameras and lenses so yeah. Seemed like a good username at the time :smith:

Time for a new user name!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
All this camera chat makes me want to buy a body for my random Canon lenses... 6d's are now around $800 on CL. I was spoiled at my last job- I could just pick something from one of three lockers of bodies/lenses and use it for a week.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a Canon Kiss Digital N, aka EOS 350D, aka Rebel XT, from 2005 :q:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've still got one of my 20D's from back in the day, works just fine. I made a lot of money off 10D's and 20D's, it's the glass that really counts.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Speaking of obsessions, anyone got a line on a decent cheap dashcam? I'm going to be doing some road tripping in the snow this year and want some footage in case of epic bullshit like last year's run down I-80 in thundersnow.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

You can get excellent bokeh with prime lenses just fine. My Canon 135L produced the best bokeh I've ever seen and I've had Leica setups before. Zooms are great if you need them, most of the time you don't.

IMO shooting with a prime forces you to put a lot more thought into composing your photo. Also IMO, that's a good thing.

I have 3 Nikon bodies here - D1x, D70s, and D5100. But only 1 of those works. :sigh:

The D1x has a broken shutter. The D70s has a couple of loose pins in the CF slot, which is apparently a very common issue on the D70 and D70s. D1x isn't worth fixing, D70s probably would be if I wanted to tear it apart. One of these days I'll probably throw the D1x on ebay for parts..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 16, 2016

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You Am I posted:

Hey, you might actually have water that you can drink now after all that rain :v:

Pfft as is. There's still the goo layer on the inside of all the pipes (that haven't burst yet) to give the water it's "unique" flavour!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Speaking of obsessions, anyone got a line on a decent cheap dashcam? I'm going to be doing some road tripping in the snow this year and want some footage in case of epic bullshit like last year's run down I-80 in thundersnow.

I have an A118-c on the bus I really like. I also have that $35 Amazon dashcam rearwards, but it's poo poo and only a backup.

The G1W is too old, do not take it's suggestion. The $35 one has on-par picture quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So I'm in the San Francisco area and I need a sword by tomorrow afternoon. It's the wife's cousin's wedding and I am supposed to carry a sword alongside his horse in the procession (the task falls to the sister's husband and I'm as close as they could get).

Can you rent this poo poo or do I just need to hit up a pawn shop/Chinese import store for something cheap? I think e.g. one of those flimsy tai chi practice swords might fit the bill...

• Locked thread