Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

cat_herder posted:

it's probably something like rummy, poker, and calvinball, but with truly long cons and bizarre gambits.

meaning we should totally try to jump in on this and decide to go back to sleep purely because it's too complicated and weird.

I imagine they'd have some sort of 'every time someone wins a month long round you get to make up a new rule' type thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
It's CYOAs all the way down.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Outrail posted:

I imagine they'd have some sort of 'every time someone wins a month long round you get to make up a new rule' type thing.

I can imagine three wardens sitting totally still and silent while looking at their cards, then Bedia walks by, slaps a card down on the console, says "checkmate losers" and wanders off to the sounds of the other three shouting angrily.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

cat_herder posted:

I can imagine three wardens sitting totally still and silent while looking at their cards, then Bedia walks by, slaps a card down on the console, says "checkmate losers" and wanders off to the sounds of the other three shouting angrily.

I assume the breakup happened because her boyfriend had enough time on his hands to hack/script the game to win nookie-based bets.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

There are currently 12 votes to take the next shift yourself, post "reset" attempt, and 10 votes to pass it off to Thomas. I'm headed out to dinner and then I'm hoping to start the update, so if anyone has any last minute thoughts regarding who is waking up next time, this is when you should say something.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

reset, and take next watch

C E

Toughy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's our job, we'll do our best to handle it until we can't anymore. Take the next shift.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's our job, we'll do our best to handle it until we can't anymore. Take the next shift.
Lots of things are our job. Our most important responsibilities probably aren't going to be mid-flight, and it's our responsibility to be fully prepared for them...

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Lemniscate Blue posted:

But what if pushing ourselves too hard now when nothing is happening means we are hosed when/if we get woken for a true emergency?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ralith posted:

Lots of things are our job. Our most important responsibilities probably aren't going to be mid-flight, and it's our responsibility to be fully prepared for them...

Yeah, this should all be routine.

Leave instructions to wake us if any mission critical events happen or there's a situation the XO believes he can't handle. Word it so that his fragile ego doesn't lead him to do something stupid, and that his job, like we did, is waking up experts for any given issue.

If he tries to so much as tries to fix a toaster on his rotation were gonna be pissed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FoxTerrier posted:

But what if pushing ourselves too hard now when nothing is happening means we are hosed when/if we get woken for a true emergency?

That's why we're taking time to actually be around while we relax, because that's apparently a thing you can't do on ice.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's why we're taking time to actually be around while we relax, because that's apparently a thing you can't do on ice.

Yeah, this - we're taking precautions to ensure that we'll be as close to tiptop shape as we can be while still doing our job at the four-year wakeup.

Actually, here's a suggestion. Plan to wake a month early at the end of our journey so that we can do the same rest-and-relax routine before we need to be functional - and stick with this plan, we'll be awake but the Wardens will still be in charge.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah, you guys are in charge, I'm just going to walk around with a giant mug of coffee. Pretend I'm not here.

So why do you do it that way?... Can I see it for a second?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What I mean is, what if the 'reset' doesn't work and our cryo headaches keep getting worse? Don't wanna be hosed in a real emergency because we didn't let the second in command a couple of the standard wake-ups, basically

Ah well

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FoxTerrier posted:

What I mean is, what if the 'reset' doesn't work and our cryo headaches keep getting worse? Don't wanna be hosed in a real emergency because we didn't let the second in command a couple of the standard wake-ups, basically

Ah well

Only one way to find out!

And you know what, if it doesn't work, then gently caress it let's get dealt into the Watchers' game.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

Yeah, this should all be routine.

Leave instructions to wake us if any mission critical events happen or there's a situation the XO believes he can't handle. Word it so that his fragile ego doesn't lead him to do something stupid, and that his job, like we did, is waking up experts for any given issue.

If he tries to so much as tries to fix a toaster on his rotation were gonna be pissed.
+1 to this

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

+1 Plan Outrail. this constant freezing/thawing/refreezing is probably giving us all kinds of ice-crystal-related brain damage.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I've already voted but we really shouldn't be defrosting ourselves every time. Aside from concerns about what it's doing to us, we ought to find out how capable our XO is before getting to the planet and this is a good opportunity.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Well, you guys have managed to move the vote from 12:10 to 14:12. Well done! Dinner took way longer than expected, so I'm going to leave it open while I get some rest. If you change your vote, please post saying as much.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I voted to stay up for a couple weeks doing biological research on ourselves before we decide then wake up just by default, something we should be capable of doing, and something they couldn't have done on earth before for lack of test subjects.

Can we get the results of that, and then vote again?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Do we have any plans in case the planet is...already occupied?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

What did you think the gun arms were for?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Abyssal Squid posted:

Fashion.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Abyssal Squid posted:

Putting down riots against our benevolent rule, what else?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I vote for staying awake a few days or weeks to flush everything out of our system, and to getting up normally next time ourselves. I'm not sure what numbers or letters those are.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Arcturas posted:

I vote for staying awake a few days or weeks to flush everything out of our system, and to getting up normally next time ourselves. I'm not sure what numbers or letters those are.

Those would be C and E. Bold your vote!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

There Bias Two posted:

Run up a local asteroid at relativistic speed.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Butt Discussin posted:

I voted to stay up for a couple weeks doing biological research on ourselves before we decide then wake up just by default, something we should be capable of doing, and something they couldn't have done on earth before for lack of test subjects.

Can we get the results of that, and then vote again?

This is indeed something you can do, I'll put it to a minivote, the first part of the update will be the same either way.

Would you like to wait until your time awake is over to decide who is taking the next shift?
A: Yes.
B: No.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Olothreutes posted:

This is indeed something you can do, I'll put it to a minivote, the first part of the update will be the same either way.

Would you like to wait until your time awake is over to decide who is taking the next shift?

A - yes; if we learn more while we're awake, then we can make a better-informed decision.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Olothreutes posted:

A, no reason it has to be set right now if we're staying up anyway.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Absolutely

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A - Makes sense. We can see how we feel and make a better decision.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
Is delegating losing the vote? A it is.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
B, no?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Yes, wait

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

Those would be C and E. Bold your vote!

Alright, building my vote for c and e.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A, yarrrrrr

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Hooray, the forums are alive.

I'm going to close voting at this time, at least on the duration of staying awake. Since it doesn't really impact that part of the update we can revisit the potential delegation of duties afterward.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

In the interest of science, and in part because you have so little data on the subject and it’s becoming increasingly important, you ask Tubal and August to come with you to the medbay before they retire back to cryo. You do a quick medical panel on them, standard cognitive function stuff as well as some blood workup and physical status. Pulse rate is normal, blood pressure seems to be slightly elevated but they were just working on a spaceship in the middle of space where a mistake could mean the premature end of 8,004 lives. You aren’t sure if that is the reason for the elevated blood pressure but it could certainly have an effect. The metabolic panels will take a little while to run, and you pull a bit of extra blood to look for genetic abnormalities that might be present. One benefit of all the computer selection that went into the crew is that you have a pretty complete data set to compare to.

Both of them have some standard symptoms that you have also experienced, headaches, dry mouth, maybe a twinge of nausea but not much. You aren’t entirely sure if your nausea issues have been directly caused by the cryo cycling or just as a side effect of how bad the headaches are. Neither of them show any issues with cognitive function, which is good considering you just let them cut power to the entire ship on their recommendation. All in all the biggest complaint is definitely the headache that cryo seems to generate in people. Without a real objective way to compare something like a headache across patients you settle for tracking how long it took before each person was able to reasonably function. So far you have data all over the place, but everyone was functional in an hour or less. You didn’t think to track how long it takes for the headaches to fade before now, but you are definitely doing so this time. You immediately discount Vladimir from the data because you are certain that he simply stepped out of cryo and activated his pain shunt so he could ignore the headache all together. You idly consider how nice that would be, to simply throw a mental switch and ignore these headaches as a fleeting distraction.

Sadly that is not the case. Your own headache is still lingering in the edges of your perception, most noticeable when your eyes drift to look at something at the corner of your vision. It’s also just the tiniest bit hard to exert your full strength, like gripping a pencil as hard as you can. It seems to tickle a bit when you try, the sensation is nearly amusing. Time for some imaging, you suppose, as you tick off the various bits of data you’ve collected. After a quick trip through some of the diagnostics you have a nice set of images of your various organs. Nothing seems enlarged; everything seems to be working fine. If there are any effects on your organs they aren’t showing up in the imaging you’ve done.

The metabolic panels are mostly normal, August and Tubal show slightly elevated levels of cortisol and have a high, but not out of the norm white blood cell count. Your own panels show an elevated amount of cortisol and norepinephrine, both stress hormones, and you aren’t sure if they are due to the stress of waking up, the long term effects of cryo, or the stress of having your ship drifting through interstellar space with no power. More tests later may help you figure out which of those is the case. All three of you show an increase in folate levels in your blood work. School was a long time ago so you have to consult the computer records, but folates are a group of molecules that are all covered under the general name “vitamin B-9.” Interesting. You’ll have to look into that. It may be part of the drug regimen that is designed to help combat the issues with interstellar travel, though. Bedia may be able to find something else that you missed, so you forward all the test results to her with a note about the folate levels.

In the mean time you are going to do some work of your own. You have less than half of your trip left to go and you have 7,999 people you have to coordinate to get on the surface. Clearly you aren’t going to handle all that yourself, delegation will be a necessity, but a plan can’t hurt.

In general your crew can be broken down into a number of different categories:

You have a great many engineers and technicians. These are the subject matter experts, the people who have in depth understandings of the various pieces equipment you brought with you. A whole team of people dedicated to hydroponics, another team for vehicle maintenance, another for life support systems, and so on down the list. They can create plans of action and put into practice the advances that your scientists discover. Tubal is notionally in charge of this group and you are pretty confident in his ability to direct their efforts during the landing phase.

You have a full complement of scientists with you as well. People who can put their prodigious brainpower into solving grand problems, although they are maybe not quite so practical as the engineers. If you run into any truly bizarre or unexpected things on your new home they will be indispensable in finding a solution. Dr. Pagnotto will be leading their efforts.

The medical team is headed by Dr. Nilsson, a very talented physician. You have several surgeons, many doctors, and plenty of healthcare workers such as nurses and techs to go with them. They will be very busy, you suspect, during the first phase of the arrival with the whole crew coming out of cryo. You are hopeful there will be no issues, but if there are you are confident they can handle them.

Security will be handled by Vladimir and his team. You don’t expect they will need to do much but their presence is both comforting to people accustomed to war and helps prevent any escalation of otherwise minor disagreements. If something goes awry you are sure that Vladimir will be able to find a suitable, if potentially off the wall solution.

Thomas will be running interference for you during the whole thing. His attention to detail and practical nature will help smooth out any bumps in the road and help keep things running. As your first officer he’ll be in a command role and you have complete faith that he can handle it. Discussing your plan with him in detail will help both of you, his input will certainly be valuable and an agreement on the work to be done will allow the pair of you to put forth a unified set of goals.

Her job largely complete by the time you arrive, Asta will be getting you the rest of the way to the planet once you are in system and then aiding whomever needs her help the most. Considering her background it may be very useful to have her coordinating the movements of your colonists and equipment, she will assuredly get everyone and everything where they are needed on time.

The first step will be to wake everyone up.

What order would you like to wake the teams? This is pretty freeform, and you can change it later if something comes up.
You have Engineering, Science, Medical, Security, Your officers (this includes the department heads but not their teams), and the colonists themselves.

After that you will probably make orbit around the planet and gather data. Once you’ve mapped the planet you can select a landing site. And probably rename the planet.

Thinking through all this has left you a bit drowsy, which you think is odd considering you just slept for four years. The excitement of the day was rather sudden, though. A good nap never hurt anyone.

You wake up to the comforting sounds of the ship operating well, the slight breeze of the air handlers, the slight gravity from your acceleration. Your headache is nearly gone, for which you are quite thankful. You are also very hungry, and could use a good cup of coffee. Looking at the clock you see that a full ten hours have passed. That was one hell of a “nap.” You grab a foodbar, a quick meal in a wrapper, as a stopgap measure while you go find something more substantial to eat. Moving through the ship is actually sort of fun, the novelty of low gravity hasn’t worn off yet and you aren’t in a rush this time. You practice several different strides, trying to find the most efficient way to walk, jog, and run through the halls. You are bounding down a particularly long corridor when you nearly knock Ann over.

”Oh goodness, I’m sorry Captain. I had no idea you were down in this part of the ship.”

You tell her not to worry, you were just enjoying the opportunity to move around while awake. And headed to get some food, wow you are pretty hungry. That bar did not come close to making a dent in your hunger. You invite Ann along with you to get some food.

”Sure, I was on my way back to the bridge after checking on the reactor. Some food would be good.”

The pair of you head towards the mess.

You can freely question Ann at this point.

In other news, my wedding is this coming Saturday, and things are getting increasingly crazy. I'll do my best to answer questions to Ann, but an actual update of some sort will probably have to wait if I can't squeak it out in the middle of the night. Next on the docket is getting your report from Bedia about the various effects of cryo, and then hopefully going back to cryo with a better idea of the issues.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

What order would you like to wake the teams? This is pretty freeform, and you can change it later if something comes up.
You have Engineering, Science, Medical, Security, Your officers (this includes the department heads but not their teams), and the colonists themselves.

Officers, Security, Medical, Engineering, Science, and then Colonists.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!!!!

• Locked thread