Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The tent is great if you're a hoarder. You'll never sell anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Corsec posted:

Are either Warzones and Increased Wasteland Spawns worth playing with and are they stable? I'm looking for something that can provide dynamic conflict between factions without major stability issues. Like Immersive Patrols for Skyrim, but for New Vegas. I've been playing with rePOPULATED WASTELAND, but I uninstalled it since it only gives unrepeatable scripted battles at pre-determined locations. Once I've triggered most or all of them all I suppose there's little reason to keep it in my load order.

Spent a completely ridiculous amount of time working and playtesting to reach my ideal Skyrim load order, then decided to just switch back to New Vegas since it actually has decent combat mechanics and I miss guns.

Kinda late, but IWS is great, though you probably want MCM with it, since you may want to disable interior spawns from time to time. Or start off with only a few more enemies and ramp your way up to 2-4 per regular spawn.

I had a couple issues with it playing with other mods I had installed, as I think one made some Ghouls have 2000+ health, so that was an interesting time to go to the nuclear test site, or other ghoul filled areas. It also makes odd things happen with Roboco Certified, as Cerulean will occasionally have a half dozen angry sentry bots, or Walking into the Sink the first time you might get mauled by a couple unexpected Nightstalkers.

Only Vanilla thing it messed up for me was Repcon HQ, as the added Sentry Bots shot the scanners as I got into the building, setting off the alarm and turning them loose on the facility.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Is there a mod to fix the fact that the game seems to think every wall and object in the game is about 10% bigger than it actually is, making your bullets run into invisible barriers while you try to shoot from cover? I'd search but I don't even know what terms to use.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Crindee posted:

I don't even know what terms to use.
Collision meshes. If you search for collision on the nexus you should find a mod that fixes a few of those issues. But I'm not aware of a mod that fixes every object in the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Not sure if this needs to be in the other NV thread - does Jsawyer change the ambush outside Nipton near the traffic cone-concealed fragmines? I vividly remember one of the vipers there always having a grenade rifle but none of them have any. Also I don't remember a deranged bright brotherhood encounter outside the farm in the area.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 29, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crindee posted:

Is there a mod to fix the fact that the game seems to think every wall and object in the game is about 10% bigger than it actually is, making your bullets run into invisible barriers while you try to shoot from cover? I'd search but I don't even know what terms to use.

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but Collision Meshes overhauls a lot of the ingame scenery by properly modeling the meshes on fences and the like, so you can actually fire through gaps.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

double nine posted:

Not sure if this needs to be in the other NV thread - does Jsawyer change the ambush outside Nipton near the traffic cone-concealed fragmines? I vividly remember one of the vipers there always having a grenade rifle but none of them have any. Also I don't remember a deranged bright brotherhood encounter outside the farm in the area.

I don't know about the Vipers but he added the encounter with the Bright followers as a way for the player to get some mid-range energy weapons a little earlier iirc

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Bright Followers are all over the place in the base game, just normally they're dead so you can loot their corpses for energy weapons.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Question for people who use JSawyer Ultimate Edition: do you use this mod *with* Project Nevada or as a standalone? I know that the mod has a bunch of options for stuff that's included in the basic suite of PN, but it doesn't seem to have options for all that stuff.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm using it with the entire Project Nevada (+TTW) suite, it has worked fine thus far. Just make sure to get the "Jsawyer Project Nevada Bridge" on the jsawyer ultimate page.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
I haven't seen it linked, but this mod's pretty cool, it changes the scopes to be more like more recent FPS games: no black background, you see the scope model in front of you in first person, and in third-person scoped weapons don't force you into first person when you aim, now they just increase your zoom by an appropriate amount. Although it looks like the mod still needs work (no support for GRA variants, and it looks like there's an issue with the anti-materiel rifle) and the original author isn't working on it anymore, but hopefully someone takes up the mantle.

Raygereio posted:

Collision meshes. If you search for collision on the nexus you should find a mod that fixes a few of those issues. But I'm not aware of a mod that fixes every object in the game.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Might not be exactly what you are looking for but Collision Meshes overhauls a lot of the ingame scenery by properly modeling the meshes on fences and the like, so you can actually fire through gaps.

Thanks, that definitely makes things better.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
that collision mesh mod is drat near essential if you play with extra difficulty mods. How can I hide behind cover if I can't shoot over it?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Just a heads up for anyone that checked out that JSawyer Ultimate mod over the past week that it updated yesterday. The new version seems a lot cleaner and the author mentions reducing script load and it now also includes a built in damage scaling setting so that's cool. One thing it does lose is the whole slow time instead of VATS thing but personally I was never big on that anyway. I put together a load order last night mainly of TTW + JSawyer Ultimate + YUP Gameplay Tweaks + a hotkey grenade mod and I'm enjoying it much more than my old frankenstein Project Nevada setup. Highly recommended. Here's the link: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61592/

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
What is the guy who took over jsawyer mod been doing exactly? He started out just implementing some tweaks that ropekid planned to do but didn't have time, but what is all this ultimate stuff?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
the "JSawyer ultimate" mod isn't anything to do with rope kid, just a guy who likes the mod and wanted to expand on it

edit: rope kid should definitely have released the mod on the nexus when he made it as "New Vegas Director's Cut"

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Oh yeah this is a different guy. The guy who worked with ropekid and made the last version of the actual jsawyer mod was 'XPorc'.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Basically it uses the wizardry of Lutana NVSE plugin to make jsawyer related changes through scripts, so things like mod added items and TTW will be compatible.

It also has a bunch of optional QOL features like bullet time in case you don't want to use project Nevada for whatever reason.

No other additions have been added as far as I can tell.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hi, when I try to start fnv4gb.exe I get a little window that pops up and says "Loading Fallout New Vegas" with a progress bar. At around a third of the way full, it closes silently. This happens running it as administrator or not, this happens running from the fallout folder or not. Running nvse_loader.exe starts the game just fine. Any idea what's up or where I can find some logs or something?

EDIT: NM, figured out that 'windows 8' means 'windows 8+'

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 6, 2016

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Anyone have any experience with Legion Quests Expanded? I tend to avoid new quests since they always stick out like a sore thumb to me, but this one at least sounds like it keeps things pretty organic and low-key. I'm trying to make the Legion side of things a bit less anemic without making any big changes to game balance.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Crindee posted:

Anyone have any experience with Legion Quests Expanded? I tend to avoid new quests since they always stick out like a sore thumb to me, but this one at least sounds like it keeps things pretty organic and low-key. I'm trying to make the Legion side of things a bit less anemic without making any big changes to game balance.

I haven't tried it myself but it sounds good based on the description on the mod page. I'm always in favor of recutting existing dialogue instead of trying to do voice actors.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does Jsawyer make Elijah invincible?

I wanted to get out of the vault with all goldIn the past I did this by murdering him, stowing all the gold on his body, placing said body near the forcefield and glitch-opening the container from the other side.

Unfortunately the old fart is invincible and runs back to the forcefield, trapping me inside.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I don't think so. The Elijah thing was patched to make it more difficult to get the gold i think though. Just use the console to up your carry weight.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

double nine posted:

Does Jsawyer make Elijah invincible?

I wanted to get out of the vault with all goldIn the past I did this by murdering him, stowing all the gold on his body, placing said body near the forcefield and glitch-opening the container from the other side.

Unfortunately the old fart is invincible and runs back to the forcefield, trapping me inside.

He's definitely not invincible when he turns hostile with jsawyer mod but I'm guessing that's not what you mean.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Honestly just waddling out of there with the gold via stealth boy is also hilarious if tricky to do. But I wouldn't know if this still works with jsawyer's mod.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Honestly just waddling out of there with the gold via stealth boy is also hilarious if tricky to do. But I wouldn't know if this still works with jsawyer's mod.

He made the gold much, much heavier IIRC.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
My favorite thing about Dead Money is its message is supposed to be "you have to learn when to leave things behind" and every player figures out some way to break it so they don't have to.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I actually always left the gold behind mainly because I never had any use for it. Even with buying whatever I wanted I was always still flush with cash.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gobblecoque posted:

I actually always left the gold behind mainly because I never had any use for it. Even with buying whatever I wanted I was always still flush with cash.

I always get at least one bar for display at my characters pad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just win big at the Sierra Madre and have hundreds of thousands of pre war dollars.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

What kind of monster are you? The point isn't to sell the gold, the point is to have a bathtub full of gold bars as a trophy.

Also the way it's presented is like a big red button labeled "don't press this button" then sets the button behind an agonising obstacle course. Of course I'm going to claw my way through barbed wire to press the button!

double nine fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 18, 2016

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Tbh getting all the gold in Dead Money is kind of like a right of passage. You just gotta try doing it at least once, just to have the goldtub.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nomadic Scholar posted:

It still does. I think he mentioned a while back that actually making the gold impossible to take was a simple script fix but he chose not to do that.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

My PC updated that giant Windows 10 update last night and ever since NV has crashed on load (at "load from last saved game," the title screen and menu load just fine). Help?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How does one waddle out with all the gold? Every time I try doing it nonviolently the forcefield activates as I approach.

(to clarify, I did manage to get all the gold by using Elijah's corpse as a temporary storage but don't know of other ways)

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

13Pandora13 posted:

My PC updated that giant Windows 10 update last night and ever since NV has crashed on load (at "load from last saved game," the title screen and menu load just fine). Help?
You mean the anniversary update? Do you also have a nvidia card? If yes to both: Try the latest beta version of NVAC.
If the game does load with NVAC, you may still have several graphical glitches like hair being invisible. In NVAC's comment thread they seemed to have narrowed it down to a driver issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

13Pandora13 posted:

No idea if it's related to anything, but I've occasionally had some luck loading saves after starting a new game rather than from the initial menu.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

double nine posted:

How does one waddle out with all the gold? Every time I try doing it nonviolently the forcefield activates as I approach.

(to clarify, I did manage to get all the gold by using Elijah's corpse as a temporary storage but don't know of other ways)

Alright, so its really simple, even with lowish sneak. You grab all the gold, initiate the conversation and then immediately pop a stealth boy afterwards. Then you crouch walk all the way to that one transformer/Tesla coil looking thing that's waist high cover and slowly strafe along the right side of it so Elijah doesn't see yo rear end. After he passes you you should have your back to the opening. For this part you just wait until he has his back to you and then walk out while he tries to open the vault. It took me about 5 tries to get it right and I think my sneak skill was at 40 or so.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Raygereio posted:

You mean the anniversary update? Do you also have a nvidia card? If yes to both: Try the latest beta version of NVAC.
If the game does load with NVAC, you may still have several graphical glitches like hair being invisible. In NVAC's comment thread they seemed to have narrowed it down to a driver issue.

This ended up being the issue actually - I'd updated my driver and once I rolled it back everything went back to normal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well knowing that would have saved me from three hours of failed mod testing followed by a clean install. God dammit that mod list took forever to tweak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Nvidia hosed up how the older Gamebryo games do HDR in the latest driver update. Oblivion and Fallout 3 have the same problem too, apparently.