Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I want to state for the record that I never wasted one moment of my time looking for the Diamond Power of Veto.

Also I said it multiple times but Asiina you ran one hell of a game. Excellent one person modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Pera, you lost my vote with your response.

Still busy but yeah.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Pera, you lost my vote with your response.

Still busy but yeah.

Hey Prop, when you have time, as a viewer I'd be really interested in hearing an example of the kind of answer you expected/would have made you happy.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Dr. Hurt posted:

Also I said it multiple times but Asiina you ran one hell of a game. Excellent one person modding.

Agreed.

Also, don't think you need to tone down the difficulty of the challenges, I think they were great.

But I also have the challenge beast bias. :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Congrats Cat, an awesome win for you! And an excellent run at it to pera as well!

Asiina that was masterful.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Poque posted:

Congrats Cat, an awesome win for you! And an excellent run at it to pera as well!

Asiina that was masterful.

The Stride Gum thing just hit me right now.

Hate you and love you, hahahaha.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I'm genuinely glad it took this long because after I posted it I was terrified that maybe I threw you off. :)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Haha I was cracking up at that fwiw.

I'm so happy at the amount of confessionals there are, I'm still on like week 2.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yes, let's all thank Poque for the magic of Juby Chirp which was the gift that keeps on giving.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
it doesn't work the other way

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

I dunno, I'm aroused.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

BottleKnight posted:

That isn't Phil at all!

But yeah, great job Asiina, work took me away for a bit but this was a really interesting game from a viewer perspective

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King Burgundy posted:

Hey Prop, when you have time, as a viewer I'd be really interested in hearing an example of the kind of answer you expected/would have made you happy.

I wanted her to illustrate her gameplay in a bigger picture sort of way. I also wanted her to take ownership of literally anything that went down in mid game, like keeping people comfortable, deceiving them, throwing them off the trail, that sort of thing. To me her response read like mea-culpa-but-not-really jury pandering regarding boilerplate late game positioning, which is the opposite of what I was looking for.

On mobile, can articulate later if that doesn't make sense.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I mean, Asiina rightly gave me poo poo for very openly campaigning for Pera, like, yesterday. I was trying to throw her a bone to own up to whatever it was she did, but what I read from her response was the kind of self righteousness I couldn't vote for. Cat was a social disaster, but I also didn't need to ask her anything to know what I needed to know about her game.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Funny how both you and cena were basically a lock for pera before the ftc

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i had a good time and it was fun to play/watch/beat my head against a bunch of stupid puzzles

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
also congrats cat :D

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
We both saw her play survivor from the production camp, and we were both frustrated by how well she played coupled by how badly she blew finals. I think we were both just really desperately hoping she'd learned her lesson, because she could be amazing at this. She just Amanda Hantzed it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

King Burgundy posted:

Actual answer:

I lied to Cena about the nature of our alliance. I encouraged the notion that we were working in parallel pairs; both of us with our angles on Hurt, him with Cat, myself with Quid, that sort of thing. You'll see it in my confessionals. As a human being it kind of makes me feel like poo poo, because that's a real life friendship getting used and abused for an internet forums game. At the same time, from my position, it's something I had to do. I could have done things better, but I don't think I could have prioritized him without seriously compromising myself. I just know that we met because he RAN evil games like this, so whatever damage I might have done with that deception, we'll work through it, but I'm proud of maintaining his allegiance while keeping him fully blind to my actual day two alliance.

An answer like that, just one like that of the three I requested, I'd have voted pera.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

flerp posted:

also congrats cat :D

Thank you flerp, I felt like poo poo after I put you up ;_;

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

curiousCat posted:

theres no hard feelings and u won so maybe it was the right play? makes u think

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Nominating flerp is basically a right of passage.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Asiina posted:

Nominating flerp is basically a right of passage.

:(

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Flerp I regret we did not talk more because I think you're cool and I hope you keep writing :)

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Quidnose posted:

Flerp I regret we did not talk more because I think you're cool and I hope you keep writing :)

same. my biggest regret is not talking to enough people, like rf, dbd, prop, you, and to an extent hurt (who i talked briefly with, but not a whole lot). not even from a "i shouldve had a better social game" standpoint, more from a "youre all p cool guys and gals and the conversations i had with all of you were genuinely enjoyable." like talking to mmt, pera, and cena about non-game stuff (and some game stuff) were some of my fav moments in this game and you all were such a wide range of personalities that it was just a really cool bunch of people and i had a whole lot of fun for the limited time i was here. this was a great game, i had a blast, and of course, thanks a whole lot to asiina for running this whole thing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
:3:

We only really talked once, but yeah! I thought you were cool people, too.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

curiousCat posted:

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

I was sitting on that picture since week 2 ready to use it at some point in the game

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Murmur Twin posted:

(Flashback: December 2014)

I had just finished playing Popularity Contest (which I'm going to assume everyone in the Vista knows of but if not, ask someone else in there what it is) and was reading over the confessionals to get the full story on what had gone on. I reached out to one of the players in the game - Asiina, someone with whom I had been particularly shady - and congratulated her on outlasting me / apologized for my role in what transpired.

To my dismay, she told me that there were some hurt feelings over what occurred. The immersion in these games is the real deal, and things that occur in them can definitely lead to actual emotional reactions. Asii was the first person who ever told me that ""it's not a game"" doesn't always suffice, and that the problem wasn't so much with the backstab as it was my smugness over it. There's a fine line between wanting to win a game and gloating over actions that make other people feel bad, and I admittedly crossed it a few times.

It also dawned on me that she had already played in ABB1 which ended with her getting hurt, and so she probably has a far different point of view of what it means to have an ally turn on you. Until she reached out, I hadn't actually thought about that. I did my best to apologize and internalize exactly what she was saying. After some introspection I realized that, to a degree, I was letting my desire to be seen as good at these games override my desire to have a genuine experience with as many people as possible.

(Present Day)

Since then, I've tried to approach these games with two traits that I don't think I started out with:

(a) humility
(b) awareness of how my actions are going to make other people feel

When I was reading over AS:Games (where pera was confidently bragging about how she was puppetmastering the game in a way that implied lack of caring for them as individuals), I kind of winced, knowing how people reacted to me when I did and knowing that she owned it way harder than I did. I knew she got a lot of flack for it, notably from ANarc (post-game) and CCat (in the jury phase), and I knew that regardless of her self-identity as a villain, on some level she had to feel bad about how things went down after the fact.

My read is that pera was honestly considering the merits of booting Cat at F4 and that I talked her out of it. And while I won't know for sure if that's what went down, if that's what happened then for me that will have been the high point of the game. When I go all ""Butterfly Effect"" and think about what would have happened if pera betrayed Cat there:

(a) pera would continue trying to convince herself that ""liar and villain"" is her Core Identity, which I don't actually think makes her happy
(b) Cat would once again have been betrayed after showing pera trust, and I feel like it would have ruined their friendship
(c) I, having let it happen, would be complicit in those two things and would feel a gigantic amount of guilt towards Cat and it probably would have messed up our friendship

The thing that I can't help but shake my head at is the idea that ABB1 basically ended with Asiina being backstabbed by the person she trusted most. It's entire possible we would have voted out Cat if pera/I had our old mindsets and valued in-game advantages over real-life friendships. I really do believe that Asiina giving me feedback after PopCon had an impact on how I approached the concept of backstabbing people (that I in turn shared with pera, who was receptive to it). So in a way, Asiina stopped history from repeating itself.

So thanks to Asiina! Props to her for both giving me a moment of insight and then for running a game where I get to try and apply it :) Between the friendships formed and the sheer amount of writing fodder (sorry not sorry for my confessionals) it's provided, ABB2 has been a total pleasure regardless of what place I end up finishing in.

It's been days and I'm still :wtc:'ing about the crazy ironic foreshadowing that I wrote into this confessional. :j:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
When I was relating the story of the end of this to my mom I talked about how you and pera both completely independently wrote about what happened with me and Rarity and that you didn't want history to repeat itself, and then it happened anyway.

Beat for loving beat it happened anyway.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
makes u think

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Stop betraying people dummies nobody is going to outdo gulag.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I was legit pissed that pera quoted rarity's message to me about friendships being more important than winning a game and then betrayed mmt.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Quidnose should have won.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Meinberg posted:

Quidnose should have won.

:agreed:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Quidnose was the Meinberg?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Quidnose owned hard.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Asiina posted:

There is only one meinberg.

Quid was great tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Asiina posted:

Either that or the PBS.

• Locked thread