Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oceanside
Nov 4, 2009

Good shout, cheers.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If you're willing to go slightly later, Babylon deserves to be far more well-known than it is. Only 7 episodes, all up on both 4OD and Netflix.

Yeah, Babylon is great. I watched it at the time and couldn't believe it didn't get renewed for another season at the very lesat. One of the best police shows that's been made in recent years.

I welcome suggestions for any shows along these lines from any time, I just narrowed by time period because I've probably seen or at least heard of everything that's been made since 2006. When I was re-watching the ones I mentioned I couldn't believe some of them hadn't been on my radar in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Payndz posted:

Anyway, that's my Games Animal story.

Haha, that's great. He really does bring it all upon himself.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

oceanside posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for good 90s or early 00s crime dramas?

Been re-watching the likes of Cracker, Prime Suspect, Murder Investigation Team, The Lakes and of course The Bill.

Any good shows along these lines that I might have overlooked?

Inspector Morse is worth watching also.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oceanside posted:

Been re-watching the likes of Cracker, Prime Suspect, Murder Investigation Team, The Lakes and of course The Bill.

Wire In the Blood

Robson Green was the lead actor.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rondette posted:

I have to admit I kind of like the OTT nature of Batlebots, sure there is a LOT of padding for what is essentially 4 or 5 fights, but I must confess I like how goofy the commentators are and how excited they get, and the random announcer who looks like he doesn't even know what he is shouting about most of the time. It's all very earnest in its enthusiasm. And the robot designs are way more fun.

The robot designs feel like what might have happened to our robot wars if Cassius/Chaos 2 hadn't appeared and completely destroyed everything. Somehow our robot wars became a flipper arms race and it feels like Battlebots has become a "spinning blade" arms race.

There's a lot of cool looking stuff but god there's also a lot of totally and utterly worthless robots. Especially that thing the Razer guys sent over there, what were they thinking?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I refuse to believe an issue of telly was so clunkily named as "Murder Investigation Team".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

The robot designs feel like what might have happened to our robot wars if Cassius/Chaos 2 hadn't appeared and completely destroyed everything. Somehow our robot wars became a flipper arms race and it feels like Battlebots has become a "spinning blade" arms race.

Even Cassius lost to Panic Attack, which was the archetypical box on wheels. :v:

Didn't Mortis go over to America, compete in Battlebots and do a lot better than they ever quite managed in Robot Wars?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

oceanside posted:

Good shout, cheers.

Yeah, Babylon is great. I watched it at the time and couldn't believe it didn't get renewed for another season at the very lesat. One of the best police shows that's been made in recent years.

I welcome suggestions for any shows along these lines from any time, I just narrowed by time period because I've probably seen or at least heard of everything that's been made since 2006. When I was re-watching the ones I mentioned I couldn't believe some of them hadn't been on my radar in the first place.

You've seen The Fall right? Other than that, I rewatched Jonathan Creek recently and enjoyed it even though it's pretty goofy.

On the subject of cop shows though, I stumbled across Operation Good Guys a couple of years ago and that was pretty watchable. Not a drama though, more of a Office-esque comedy. Anyone remember that?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I refuse to believe an issue of telly was so clunkily named as "Murder Investigation Team".
That's actually what the Met calls them, so blame Scotland Yard.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

oceanside posted:

The Cops won back-to-back Best Drama BAFTAs and only didn't make it a hat-trick because Clocking Off came along, and it was so good that the actual cops withdrew their official advisor in a huff after the first series. "I joined this job for the camaraderie, but no bugger likes me." And, good news, several helpful people have uploaded episodes of it to a popular video-sharing website.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 25, 2016

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bogmonster posted:

You've seen The Fall right? Other than that, I rewatched Jonathan Creek recently and enjoyed it even though it's pretty goofy.

On the subject of cop shows though, I stumbled across Operation Good Guys a couple of years ago and that was pretty watchable. Not a drama though, more of a Office-esque comedy. Anyone remember that?

The Fall Series 3 starts on Thursday, by the way.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

oceanside posted:

You should watch A Touch of Cloth

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
^^^^^^^
If you like crime dramas at all you will find a lot to enjoy in Cloth.

Mr. Squishy posted:

A few years ago I found the entire boxset of Murder Investigation Team in poundland.

I only watched the first couple of episodes, but I was surprised to discover it's a spin off from The Bill. It's also pretty hilariously crap. I think the intention was to create a show that realistically portrays a murder investigation, but that apparently involves chasing complete dead ends for the majority of each episode. Iirc the first episode had a bit where they simultaneously raided ten houses in search of a murder weapon that ended up being in a location they had already searched near the start of the episode.

One of the main characters is named Trevor Hands, which I still find weirdly amusing.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 26, 2016

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
gently caress, quote=/=edit.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Browsing iPlayer the other day I saw they have made a Keeping Up Appearances prequel called Young Hyacinth and it reminded me that I believed that Richard from that show died falling out of a hot air balloon for years. No idea where I got that idea from.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The most impressive part of Young Hyacinth is the way they hired a lady in her 30s to play the role of a teenager. Still better than the new episode of Goodnight Sweetheart at least.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Bogmonster posted:

Browsing iPlayer the other day I saw they have made a Keeping Up Appearances prequel called Young Hyacinth and it reminded me that I believed that Richard from that show died falling out of a hot air balloon for years. No idea where I got that idea from.

What the poo poo? I thought the Goodnight Sweetheart revival was bad enough. Wow, they really can't be arsed to think of new ideas.

Are we taking bets on what nostalgic sitcoms they revive next? I'm going to vote for No Feet in the Grave with a young Victor Meldrew.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

SEX BURRITO posted:

What the poo poo? I thought the Goodnight Sweetheart revival was bad enough. Wow, they really can't be arsed to think of new ideas.

Are we taking bets on what nostalgic sitcoms they revive next? I'm going to vote for No Feet in the Grave with a young Victor Meldrew.

I thought all of the revivals were just terrible, with worse acting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If I could delete one show from the history of the world, Keeping Up Appearances would make the shortlist.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
No way, my ex-girlfriend's mother was an real life Hyacinth Bucket so I feel like the show was a valuable warning about the life I was getting myself into.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

SEX BURRITO posted:

'Allo 'allo HAS to be being batted round a boardroom somewhere.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Rondette posted:

'Allo 'allo HAS to be being batted round a boardroom somewhere.

There's so many more modern settings you could transpose it to. I vote for a UK occupied bit of Iraq

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You know they'd just call it "Allah Allah"

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

SEX BURRITO posted:

It was part of the same month of one off episodes that the Goonight Sweetheart sequel was part of

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I reckon the Beeb really, really wants to do Blackadder, but I don't imagine any of the cast is particularly interested.

There were so many interesting sounding ideas discussed for what Blackadder 5 could have been (variously Edmund and co. as Russian secret policemen in Moscow in 1917, as British airmen held in Colditz in 1943, as a popular beat combo called the Black Adder Five in the 1960s, featuring "Bald Rick" on drums) but it's one of those things that just ended too well. Remember the millennium special? I remember seeing it on the big screen at the Millennium Dome; it was the only worthwhile part and even then it wasn't great.

It's like how they did those Only Fools and Horses episodes they made after Buster Merryfield died where they deprived Del Boy and Rodney of the fortune they'd finally made after all those years spent trying.

I wonder if Cleese would be up for a Fawlty Towers thing. I remember reading the synopsis of a proposed one-off where it's Basil and Sybil getting stuck in a Spanish airport while they're visiting Manuel and Basil gets arrested after he's mistaken for a terrorist.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love Blackadder, but I accept that is over and do hope it stays that way now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So, on a trawl through the depths of 4OD, I found Buried. Prison drama featuring Lennie James from 2003. Properly good, would recommend.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was going to mention Dad's Army but they made that movie (which I think I asked about a few pages back). You couldn't redo Dad's Army today - I think it worked as well as it did in the 1960s and 1970s because that was a time when most of the cast and crew and audience had either been in the war or their parents had.

Two of my favourite sitcom characters are Rimmer from Red Dwarf and Captain Mainwaring, and my favourite Mainwaring scene is the one in "Asleep In the Deep" where they have to clear rubble out a room in a bombed out building that could collapse at any moment, so they draw lots to see who'll go in at the head of the queue. Hodges gets the first one, then Mainwaring takes his, sees that it's one that would have him in the safest part of the line, and announces, "And I have drawn the second one."

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

It was a bunch of one off's as part of a whole bunch of programs about sitcoms, not a proper revival.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Apart from the awful regurgitation of Are You Being Served, Porridge etc. they also had a series of new sitcom pilots on BBC2 and on BBC Four they staged reproductions of 'lost' episodes of Hancock's Half Hour, Steptoe and Son and Til Death Do us Part. There was also one of those 'Big Quiz of the year' style panel shows but themed around Sitcoms, and a BBC4 documentary.

I caught the Quiz (which was alright), Graham Lineham's Pilot 'Motherland' (Which I didn't care for) and the Hancock lost episode (which I quite enjoyed).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They should try remaking some of their old spy-fi drama series instead of their old sitcoms. How about remakes of Department S and Jason King?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If you're jonesing for some new Blackadder, just go watch Maid Marian and her Merry Men, and you'll be as happy as a policeman with two truncheons

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 27, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They remade a story of Quartermass, didn't they?

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
You know who can gently caress off?

Paul Merton.

Sick of seeing him do that stupid loving frown and looking around any time anyone else dares to be funny on HIGNFY.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Didn't see anyone mention River for recommendations for BBC detective shows. I only watched it the other day after a friend recommended it to me but it's great. Well, it's honestly pretty average as a crime drama but it stars Stellan Skarsgård and that's worth the price of admission alone, really. It's on Netflix, too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

goatface posted:

They remade a story of Quartermass, didn't they?

Ya with Mark Gatis and like a Dogville set (to highlight how they, like the original actors, had to run like mad backstage to hit their cues as it was cheaper than editing)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So, on a trawl through the depths of 4OD, I found Buried. Prison drama featuring Lennie James from 2003. Properly good, would recommend.
Oh poo poo I thought that was lost to time! I watched it as it aired, it really was very good.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ya with Mark Gatis and like a Dogville set (to highlight how they, like the original actors, had to run like mad backstage to hit their cues as it was cheaper than editing)

Editing wasn't just expensive but also impossible - the original Quatermass Experiment was broadcast live. The finale famously overran by six minutes because a mic broke and had to be replaced.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Akuma posted:

Oh poo poo I thought that was lost to time! I watched it as it aired, it really was very good.

Everything on 4OD is organised by air date. So digging down to the bottom is satisfying and turns up some weird hidden gems that were aired at like, 1am on Wednesdays in 2004.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

oceanside posted:

I did like McCallum and Rebus when they were first shown, no idea how well they've aged though.
The Vice was pretty good during it's early episodes but got super stupid towards the end. Messiah is ok if you like Ken Stott hamming it up and chewing the scenery like there's no tomorrow.